Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Can somebody sell his soul to the devil?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
This brother explains that it is impossible... I kinda agree with him but I'm not really sure.... You can give your heart to God or the devil right? Is there somebody who can explain this using the Bible?

No, as our soul is not ours to sell but belongs to God who breathed the breath of life in us making us a living soul so you can not give to Satan that which can never be his own. Many have been deceived by believing the lies of Satan for worldly gain, but if they were to truly humble themselves and submit to Jesus and repent then they will be forgiven.

Mat 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
Mat 4:9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
Mat 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
Mat 4:11 Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

Mar 8:34 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Mar 8:35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.
Mar 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
Mar 8:37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
Mar 8:38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Last edited:
No I don’t think 🤔 so. Those sorts of misunderstandings of witchcraft seem to have been a result of witch hunts many of which were just a form of social control and also a convenient way to seize the accused individual’s property.

This brother explains that it is impossible... I kinda agree with him but I'm not really sure.... You can give your heart to God or the devil right? Is there somebody who can explain this using the Bible?

The video is incorrect. There is indeed such a thing as selling one's soul to the Devil in exchange for fame or fortune. This offer was made when Jesus went out into the wilderness to be tempted by Satan himself.

1 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the Devil... 8 And again, the Devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. 9 And he said to Him, “All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.” 10 Then Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.’ ”

There are several references in the following thread to people selling their souls to Satan in exchange for power, money and fame. If you want the correct answer, read through it.

God bless,
Hidden In Him

There is indeed such a thing as selling one's soul to the Devil in exchange for fame or fortune. This offer was made when Jesus went out into the wilderness to be tempted by Satan himself.
Hmmm, I was going to answer NO but this is an interesting hypothesis. Goes to whether Christ was impeccable or peccable. I personally think Christ was impeccable because:
1) God knows the future and therefore knew it was impossible for Christ to make the deal
2) I got to think Christ's divine nature would override His human nature

Aside: Some think Christ was peccable.

As for man, his soul by default belongs to the devil due to his being conceived (Psalm 51:5) with a sin nature so there is no reason for Satan to bargain for something he already has.

Hmmm, :chin .... I suppose if you believed in Free Will (the ability to self determine where God has no influence) then one might assert one could be born again and then have something a soul that didn't belong to Satan to bargain with in this regard ... or, again assuming Free Will to be real you could go to Satan and make a deal; though your bargaining position would be as strong as the first hypothetical.

Yes or No , I am not sure but ....

A Faustian pact if you will , the blues singer Robert Johnson .
One version said that Johnson met the Devil at a crossroads outside of town where the Devil tuned a guitar and gave it to Johnson to play. And play he did. Listeners were stunned by Johnson’s sudden talents. Johnson only fueled the rumors by writing a song titled “Me And The Devil.” https://www.historicmysteries.com/robert-johnson-and-the-devil/

Cross Road Blues by Robert Johnson

Went to the crossroad, fell down on my knees
I went to the crossroad, fell down on my knees
Asked the Lord above "Have mercy, now save poor Bob, if you please"

Yes or No , I am not sure but ....

A Faustian pact if you will , the blues singer Robert Johnson .
One version said that Johnson met the Devil at a crossroads outside of town where the Devil tuned a guitar and gave it to Johnson to play. And play he did. Listeners were stunned by Johnson’s sudden talents. Johnson only fueled the rumors by writing a song titled “Me And The Devil.” https://www.historicmysteries.com/robert-johnson-and-the-devil/

Cross Road Blues by Robert Johnson

Went to the crossroad, fell down on my knees
I went to the crossroad, fell down on my knees
Asked the Lord above "Have mercy, now save poor Bob, if you please"
There was no deal. He just tuned the guitar for him. No wonder he sounded amazing all of a sudden.

Hmmm, I was going to answer NO but this is an interesting hypothesis. Goes to whether Christ was impeccable or peccable. I personally think Christ was impeccable because:
1) God knows the future and therefore knew it was impossible for Christ to make the deal
2) I got to think Christ's divine nature would override His human nature

Hi Freddy.

I think your Calvinism would prevent us from seeing eye to eye on this one, but to answer in brief, God did indeed know the future, yet the free will of His creation remains intact as does that of the Son of God and even His Own, so while it was doubtless that Jesus ever seriously considered the offer would be stretching it, but to say it was an utter impossibility would be stretching it as well. Being worshipped by the entire planet is something our Lord does in fact desire, and something He will one day have. Satan knew this, so He was offering it to him in advance, where He wouldn't have to wait and wouldn't have to suffer. Under those circumstances, I don't think it could be said that Jesus would have had absolutely no interest in the offer itself.

Nah, the expression isn’t real. It’s merely a poetic way to describe anyone who seems strongly to put themselves above the common good, not giving a stuff for the other bloke, even walking all over them in contempt. “Sold their soul” is a bit like saying, “Ah well, they’ll get their comeuppance”. That selfishness is a self-destroying focus in life, is clear enough to those with eyes to see, and indeed the payoff of sin (not Satan) is death (Rm.6:23): a dying to God is a dying of self, and the devil laps it all up with glee.

No, but many give it to him. The sad thing is satan is the default god, you have to literally choose to stand on God's side of the issue. If you do not choose to stand with Him, then you technically belong to satan and will be destroyed upon the return of Jesus 2 Thes 1:6-9

No, but many give it to him. The sad thing is satan is the default god, you have to literally choose to stand on God's side of the issue. If you do not choose to stand with Him, then you technically belong to satan and will be destroyed upon the return of Jesus 2 Thes 1:6-9
By being born unclothed, we, like Adam and Eve, are by nature not equipped to resist the temptations of the flesh and the enemy and will invariably be deceived and choose to serve sin, and will as a result become a slave to sin. And so we will serve the devil that way. And our need to be redeemed from our slavery to sin by a kinsman redeemer will be established.

Purposely and knowingly choosing to serve the devil in exchange for the glory of the flesh is different than that because it is done willingly in full knowledge, not in ignorance and weakness or the result of deception. Depending on the circustances I understand this to be unforgivable.

Last edited:
We are all under satans power until Jesus saves us. I will say that it seems heavy bondage can complicate life even after conversion but I don’t think 🤔 there are hard and fast rules on such things…just an observation.

Pretty interesting discussion. The no sayers decide based on the words “sold my soul.” But what if that is just how they FELT after that exchange?

Jesus wasn’t asked to sell his souls for worldly gain. He was asked to worship Satan. What if those who claim they “sold their soul” really simply offered Satan worship and he gave them worldly gain in exchange?

Then only subsequently “said”
they felt like they’d sold their soul? Doesn’t mean they didn’t “sell”
something of themselves to Satan.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back