Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Catholic.........Non-Denominational?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
As an example, Catholics claim that the (flawed) man Peter was the first Pope. Has it ever occurred to you that the word "Pope" doesn't appear anywhere in Scripture?
Neither does the word incarnation or trinity.

Has it ever occurred to you that the head of the church is Jesus Christ?

As I have already shown you:
"That Church is headed by Christ (Col 1:18), but he appointed Peter to be the visible head on earth (Mt 16:18-19), to be the universal shepherd (Jn 21:15-17) of Christ’s one fold (Jn 10:16). This is the Catholic Church"

Ephesians 5:25-30, "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— for we are members of his body."

No mention of Peter, no mention of the Pope, no mention of the Catholic denomination! You exalt Peter, a flawed man, as head of the church, yet it says that Christ (not Peter) loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy and blameless. It says that Christ (not Peter) feeds and cares for the church. We are members of Christ's body, not Peter's.

This is just one of the reasons that I believe what the Bible clearly says, not the self-serving doctrine invented by your denomination.
WOW! There are some verses in the Bible that do not include the word Peter. What an amazing discovery.

"That Church is headed by Christ (Col 1:18), but he appointed Peter to be the visible head on earth (Mt 16:18-19), to be the universal shepherd (Jn 21:15-17) of Christ’s one fold (Jn 10:16). This is the Catholic Church"

Since you cannot refute the scriptures I gave you I think I have proved it.
You are just in denial.
Well, if you want to remain in untruths that is up to you.

If your faith was based on the Bible then you would be able to show me where I am wrong.

An illogical and unbiblical doctrine.

I am not going to continue this discussion with you. You believe whatever you want, I believe in what God's Word says and what is revealed to me by the Holy Spirit. You can continue to claim that you are right (or what you are told by your priests is right), but that will never make it right.

If you think that your criticism of me and your absurd insults will accomplish anything (beyond my losing total respect for you) you are delusional.

Neither does the word incarnation or trinity.

WOW! There are some verses in the Bible that do not include the word Peter. What an amazing discovery.

Peter was called Satan by Jesus Christ, as well as a stumbling block to Him, and said that he did not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns. That is all I need to know about your unScriptural "first Pope".

I won't reply again until you write something -- anything -- of value.

The only person that Jesus Christ ever called "Satan" (by name) is Peter.

Matthew 16:23, "Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

Mark 8:33, "But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. “Get behind me, Satan!” he said. “You do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

Last edited:
The only person that Jesus Christ ever called "Satan" (by name) is Peter.

Matthew 16:23, "Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

Mark 8:33, "But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. “Get behind me, Satan!” he said. “You do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

Peter was called Satan by Jesus Christ, as well as a stumbling block to Him, and said that he did not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns. That is all I need to know about your unScriptural "first Pope".
You have a strange obsession with Peter and your posts are just a diversion

I won't reply again until you write something -- anything -- of value.
Here is something of value:
Jesus founded one Church (Mt 16:18). He founded it on the Apostles (Eph 2:20) and it is described as the pillar and foundation of truth (1 Tim 3:15)

He gave that Church one set of doctrines (Jud 3); a unity of belief (Phil. 1:27, 2:2)

Jesus made promises to this Church, covenant promises, which he guarantees (Heb 7:22)

Jesus promised his Church would be indefectible. – the gates of hell would not prevail against it (Mt 16:18)

He promised the Church would be preserved from error by the Holy Spirit by reminding the apostles of all that Jesus had taught them (Jn 14:26) and guide them into the truth in the future (Jn 16:13)

He appointed the Apostles with Peter as the leader (Mt 16:18-19) and gave them the mission to take the gospel to the ends of the earth. (Mt 28:16-20)

He promised he would not leave them on their own (Jn 14:18) but that he would be with them until the end of the age (Mt 28:20)

He prayed that it would be one Church (Jn 17:20-23)

He prayed that the Father would consecrate the Apostles in the truth (Jn 17:17), and the Father always hears Jesus (Jn 11:41-42). We are therefore guaranteed by Jesus that what his Church teaches is the truth.

That Church is headed by Christ (Col 1:18), but he appointed Peter to be the visible head on earth (Mt 16:18-19), to be the universal shepherd (Jn 21:15-17) of Christ’s one fold (Jn 10:16). This is the Catholic Church

Catholics believe the Church that Jesus founded is both visible and invisible. It is visible in that it exists in a visible structure, with a visible organisation and with authority given it by Jesus himself (Mt 28:18-20).

That visible organisation is the Catholic Church.

You have a strange obsession with Peter and your posts are just a diversion

Here is something of value:
Jesus founded one Church (Mt 16:18). He founded it on the Apostles (Eph 2:20) and it is described as the pillar and foundation of truth (1 Tim 3:15)

He gave that Church one set of doctrines (Jud 3); a unity of belief (Phil. 1:27, 2:2)

Jesus made promises to this Church, covenant promises, which he guarantees (Heb 7:22)

Jesus promised his Church would be indefectible. – the gates of hell would not prevail against it (Mt 16:18)

He promised the Church would be preserved from error by the Holy Spirit by reminding the apostles of all that Jesus had taught them (Jn 14:26) and guide them into the truth in the future (Jn 16:13)

He appointed the Apostles with Peter as the leader (Mt 16:18-19) and gave them the mission to take the gospel to the ends of the earth. (Mt 28:16-20)

He promised he would not leave them on their own (Jn 14:18) but that he would be with them until the end of the age (Mt 28:20)

He prayed that it would be one Church (Jn 17:20-23)

He prayed that the Father would consecrate the Apostles in the truth (Jn 17:17), and the Father always hears Jesus (Jn 11:41-42). We are therefore guaranteed by Jesus that what his Church teaches is the truth.

That Church is headed by Christ (Col 1:18), but he appointed Peter to be the visible head on earth (Mt 16:18-19), to be the universal shepherd (Jn 21:15-17) of Christ’s one fold (Jn 10:16). This is the Catholic Church

Catholics believe the Church that Jesus founded is both visible and invisible. It is visible in that it exists in a visible structure, with a visible organisation and with authority given it by Jesus himself (Mt 28:18-20).

That visible organisation is the Catholic Church.
I have an obsession with Peter? You and your denomination are the ones obsessed with Peter! You even have a thread about him (actually his chair!). He is supposedly the rock on which the church is built (even though Jesus called him a stumbling block) and was supposedly the first Pope (even though that isn't mentioned in Scripture). The term "pope" is unScriptural. Peter was just one of the first apostles and was a deeply flawed, conflicted, hypocritical violent man.

You have bought into the Catholic propaganda "lock, stock, and barrel" (as we Yankee victors say) even though so much of your denomination has nothing to do with Jesus Christ. You even depict Him as dead on the cross!

I said that I won't discuss this any more with you as you clearly are using this forum to further your denomination's "party line". You have no desire to debate. You just keep posting the same unScriptural propaganda. Your last post is a prime example! You just repeat the same old, tired stuff ad nauseum.

Claiming that the Catholic denomination is "the church" is both extreme arrogance and extreme blindness.

Last edited:
I have an obsession with Peter? You and your denomination are the ones obsessed with Peter! You even have a thread about him (actually his chair!). He is supposedly the rock on which the church is built (even though Jesus called him a stumbling block) and was supposedly the first Pope (even though that isn't mentioned in Scripture). The term "pope" is unScriptural. Peter was just one of the first apostles and was a deeply flawed, conflicted, hypocritical violent man.
Yes, you have an obsession with Peter.
You keep bring him into any Catholic thread, relevant or not.

I said that I won't discuss this any more with you as you clearly are using this forum to further your denomination's "party line". You have no desire to debate. You just keep posting the same unScriptural propaganda. Your last post is a prime example! You just repeat the same old, tired stuff ad nauseum.
My last post was full of scripture that you have no answer for.
I keep repeating it because you fail to address it.

Yes, you have an obsession with Peter.
You keep bring him into any Catholic thread, relevant or not.

My last post was full of scripture that you have no answer for.
I keep repeating it because you fail to address it.
Blah, blah, blah.

Do you have anything new to post?

Only the scriptures that you are evading answering.
If that's all you have to post, over and over and over, why should I be bothered?

BTW, I am not at your beck and call. I reply to you as I see fit. In the process I am increasingly losing respect for you.

Mungo, as long as you have nothing better to do than post the same stuff over and over (expecting me to respond differently) why not meditate on this parable. It clearly pertains to you.

"[Jesus] also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven but was beating his breast and saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other, for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted.”

If that's all you have to post, over and over and over, why should I be bothered?
Because you have not even attempted to answer it.

BTW, I am not at your beck and call. I reply to you as I see fit. In the process I am increasingly losing respect for you.
Then why are you in this forum if you are not going to discuss these issues?

Mungo, as long as you have nothing better to do than post the same stuff over and over (expecting me to respond differently) why not meditate on this parable. It clearly pertains to you.
What do you mean expecting you to respond differently?
You haven't responded at all to the scriptures I posted - unless you call evading an answer as responding.

"[Jesus] also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven but was beating his breast and saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other, for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted.”
That is simply insulting. You need a break from this.

Hey there! It's totally okay to have your own beliefs and opinions, and it's important to respect other people's beliefs as well. It's okay to have disagreements, but we should always strive to be kind and respectful in our discussions. If you're interested in learning more about the differences between Catholic and Baptist beliefs, you might find this article helpful: https://askanydifference.com/difference-between-catholic-and-baptist/. Remember, at the end of the day, it's up to each individual to decide what they believe and how they want to live their lives.

Hey there! It's totally okay to have your own beliefs and opinions, and it's important to respect other people's beliefs as well. It's okay to have disagreements, but we should always strive to be kind and respectful in our discussions. If you're interested in learning more about the differences between Catholic and Baptist beliefs, you might find this article helpful: https://askanydifference.com/difference-between-catholic-and-baptist/. Remember, at the end of the day, it's up to each individual to decide what they believe and how they want to live their lives.
Hi H,
This is a pretty old thread.
But let's see if your post is picked up.
Welcome to the forum!

I could agree that we're all free to pick our denomination and what we want to believe...
but
Are we free to live however we want and still be called a Christian?

Is this what you meant by your last sentence?

Back