Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Catholics and Mary = Protestants and the Bible?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
All

I found this exchange rather interesting, and, I believe, may help my brother Protestants explain the Catholic view on how we feel about Mary. If I can put the shoe on the other foot, so to speak, the experience may help Protestants better understand why Catholics become frustrated on explaining the subject of Mary.

The following is an excerpt taken from the book "Mary-A Catholic Evangelical Debate" written by Dave Gustafson and Father Dwight Longenecker. It makes an interesting comparison between how Catholics look at Mary and how Protestants look at the Bible - and in both cases, say TOGETHER that they are used to come to Jesus Christ!

Mr. Gustafson, the Protestant, is in red.
Father Longnecker, the Catholic, is in green.
All bolding and underscoring is my emphasis.

Mr. Gustafson, a Protestant, writes:

{We then came to}...a Polish chapel features “Our Lady of Czestochowa“. In that chapel is posted a prayer to Mary (“An Act of Consecration to the Mother of Godâ€Â) by the heroic Polish Cardinal, Stephan Wyszynski. His prayer caught my {Mr. Gustafson} attentionâ€â€it made me sad, actuallyâ€â€and impressed itself on my memory:

O Mother of God, Immaculate Mary! To Thee do I dedicate my body and soul, all my prayers and deeds, my joys and sufferings, all that I am and all that I have. With a joyful heart I surrender myself to Thy bondage of love. To Thee will I devote my service of my own free will for the salvation of mankind, and for the help of the Holy Church whose Mother Thou art. From now on my only desire is to do all things with Thee, through Thee, and for Thee. I know I can accomplish nothing with my own strength, whereas Thou canst do everything that is the will of Thy Son, and Thou art always victorious. Grant, therefore, O Helper of the faithful, that my family, my parish, and my homeland might become in truth the Kingdom where Thou reignest with Thy Son. Amen.

For life in the maternal bondage of Mary for the Holy Church,

My blessing,

Stefan Cardinal Wyszynski

If Cardinal Wyszynski’s references to Mary and Jesus were replaced by references to Jesus and the Father, this prayer would be uncontroversially Christian.

As it is, I cannot understand how a Christian minister can commend this prayer. To whom does the Christian properly dedicate himself, body and soul? (Php. 3:7-14.) Whom does the Christian want to serve, be with, work through and for? (Matt. 10:37; Col. 3:24.) Through whom can the Christian do all things? (Php. 4:13.) Who reigns in the Christian’s kingdom? (1 Cor. 15:25.) My little citations to proof texts are ridiculous. Even the most careless reading of the New Testament admits only one answer to all these questions: Jesus Christ.

Can I hope that Cardinal Wyszynski’s “Act of Consecrationâ€Â, addressed instead to Jesus’ mother Mary, is an aberration, and that in reality Catholics are not encouraged to devote themselves to Mary in this extravagant way?
------

Certainly a reasonable question towards Catholics. And difficult to explain!

Here is Father Longenecker's reply, which, by analogy, may be very helpful for Protestants...

-------

The problem with your {Mr. Gustafson} analysis is the “either-or†mentality. You assume Marian devotion must take the place of proper devotion to the Lord.

Let me use an analogy to show you how strange this charge seems to Catholics. Try to imagine what it would be like if you discovered that another Christian group thought Evangelicals were in grave error because of your emphasis on the Bible.

These fictional Christians say rather aggressively, “You evangelicals stress the Bible to the neglect of Jesus. You call your churches ‘Bible’ churches and have ’Bible’ colleges instead of ‘Christian’ churches and colleges. Inside your church you don’t have pictures of Jesus, you don’t have any crucifixes; and you don’t have the Stations of the Cross. Instead, all you have is a big central pulpit to preach the Bible. The New Testament says that the early Christians “devoted themselves … to the breaking of the bread†(Acts 2:42) and that the way to remember Jesus and proclaim his death is through the Eucharist (1 Cor. 11:24-26); yet you Evangelicals have the Lord’s Supper once a month, or even less often, and the main feature of your church service is a long Bible sermon. You have removed the cross of Christ and replaced it with the Bible.â€Â

“You even have a formal doctrine named sola Scriptura. This man-made dogma is a later distortion and addition to the Christian faithâ€â€something that is unheard of both in the Scriptures themselves and in the early church. This dogma (which you treat as infallible) states that the Bible and not Jesus is the only source of Truth. You teach your children to memorize Bible verses instead of receiving Jesus in communion. You teach them to sing, ‘The B-I-B-L-E, / Yes that‘s the book for me. / I stand alone on the word of God….’ Notice how they are not to stand alone on the sure foundation of Jesus Christ (1 Cor. 3:11), but on the Bible instead! Evangelical preachers say that there is no way anyone can come to God without believing the Bible. They declare their undying love for the Bible instead of Jesus. They say how their lives are totally dedicated to preaching the Bible instead of the cross of Christ.â€Â

If someone were to make this charge a good Evangelical might well snort with dismay and bewilderment. How could someone so misunderstand his position? Surely they are doing it on purpose! The good Evangelical would patiently explain to his critic, “You have misunderstood completely. Sola Scriptura doesn’t set the Bible in opposition to Jesus. It does exactly the opposite: it helps us to glorify Jesus. Don’t you see that we love the Bible because it gives us access to our Savior? It’s true that we believe people need to know the Bible, but that’s because the written Word and the incarnate Word are inextricably intertwined. You can’t have one without the other. It is really Jesus we worship and proclaim through the Bible. If you just look at our whole practice and teaching with an open mind you would see how misguided and mistaken you really are.â€Â

To your dismay your critic dismisses your explanations. “No, no,†he says as he sadly shakes his head. “That all sounds very plausible, but you will never convince me. I just know that you worship the Bible instead of Jesus, and all your clever word play just goes to show how blind you really are.â€Â

Now perhaps you understand how Catholics feel when Evangelicals say similar things about their Catholic understanding of Mary. We reply, “Are you serious? How can you possibly make such a fundamental and basic mistake about what we believe? We don’t venerate Mary on her own, but because she has given us our Savior and because she constantly leads us to him. If you took time to study our whole teaching ad practice you will see how this is true. We admit that some Catholics may over-emphasize Mary, just like some Evangelicals may take extreme views on the Bible, but when you see the full picture you can’t make such a terrible mistake.â€Â

-------

I thought it was an interesting way of trying to allow another to see things from the Catholic point of view.

Regards

That is so misbegotten. Mary is a sinner just like the rest of us. Yes, God bestowed His blessing on Mary and made her great among men. That is among "men." The Bible is the perfect Word of God and is profitable for Doctrine, correction, teaching and on. Mary was a sinner, blessed of God, for His purposes and Jesus is God. Your position makes a sinner, born in sin, equal with God.

Is the Word of God equal with God? It is the very essence of God because God breathed it and men transcribed it. I think a great deal of Mary, however, to pray to her, never.

th1bill said:
That is so misbegotten. Mary is a sinner just like the rest of us. Yes, God bestowed His blessing on Mary and made her great among men. That is among "men." The Bible is the perfect Word of God and is profitable for Doctrine, correction, teaching and on. Mary was a sinner, blessed of God, for His purposes and Jesus is God. Your position makes a sinner, born in sin, equal with God.

Is the Word of God equal with God? It is the very essence of God because God breathed it and men transcribed it. I think a great deal of Mary, however, to pray to her, never.

Hi Bill,

Luke 2:34-35 (NASB)
Copyright © 1995 by The Lockman Foundation

34And Simeon blessed them and said to Mary His mother, "Behold, this Child is appointed for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and for a sign to be opposed--

35and a sword will pierce even your own soul--to the end that thoughts from many hearts may be revealed."

On May 7 Pope John Paul II dedicated his general audience to "the Virgin Mary" and urged all Christians to accept Mary as their mother. He noted the words spoken by Jesus on the cross to Mary and to John--"Woman, behold thy son!" and "Behold thy mother!" (John 19:26,27), and he claimed that in this statement "IT IS POSSIBLE TO UNDERSTAND THE AUTHENTIC MEANING OF MARIAN WORSHIP in the ecclesial community ... which furthermore is based on the will of Christ" (Vatican Information Service, May 7, 1997).

John Paul II underlined that "the history of Christian piety teaches that MARY IS THE PATH THAT LEADS TO CHRIST, and that filial devotion to her does not at all diminish intimacy with Jesus, but rather, it increases it and leads it to very high levels of perfection." He concluded by asking all Christians "to make room (for Mary) in their daily lives, ACKNOWLEDGING HER PROVIDENTIAL ROLE IN THE PATH OF SALVATION".

WHEN DOES A PERSON SIN BY SUPERSTITION? - A person sins by superstition when he attributes to a creature a power that belongs to God alone." Catholicism has admitted by her own writings that it is a sin to attribute to a creature a power that belongs to God alone. Now we know that God possess the following attributes:

Omnipotent (all-powerful), Omni-present (everywhere), Omniscient (all-knowing), "To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One." (Isa.40:25)

Excerpts from "Daily, Daily Sing to Mary", (Baltimore Catechism No.1, 63).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Daily, daily sing to Mary Sing, my soul, her praises due;
All her feasts, her actions worship, With the heart's devotion true.
She is mighty to deliver; Call her, trust her lovingly;
When the tempest rages round thee, She will calm the troubled sea.
Gifts of heaven she has given, Noble Lady, to our race;
She the Queen who decks her subject, With the light of God's own grace."

BIBLICAL MARY
-------------
Humble and obedient. Calls herself "the handmaid of the Lord."
Knew she needed a savior: "And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my saviour." (Luke 1:47)
Normal wife and mother who had other children.
No biblical evidence that Mary didn't die like a normal person.
Jesus told John to take Mary into his home and take care of her as if she was his own mother.
Normal woman.
Points people to Jesus. Mary said, "Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it." (John 2:5)
Knew that she needed a savior. (Luke 1:47)

CATHOLIC MARY
-------------
The Pope officially gave Mary the title "Queen of Heaven" and established a feast day honoring Mary, Queen of Heaven.
"Immaculate Conception" (Mary was conceived sinless, without original sin) and "All-Holy" (Mary lived a sinless life).
"Perpetual Virginity" (Jesus' brothers and sisters are considered to be cousins).
"Glorious Assumption" (Mary was bodily taken up into Heaven).
Catholics are the adopted children of Mary. "Woman behold your son" (John 19:26) is taken to apply literally to every Catholic.
Sometimes pictured standing on a crescent moon, wearing a crown or with a circle of stars around her head.
Supernatural (apparitions accompanied by miracles and healings).
Can make Jesus do things. A full page newspaper ad showing Mary and Jesus says, "He hasn't denied her anything in 2,000 years. What would you have her ask Him?" This is not official Catholic doctrine but it is a widespread attitude which is encouraged by pious literature.
Apparitions of "Mary" have promised that if people wear certain objects (such as a Scapular or Miraculous Medal) or say certain prayers then they are guaranteed to go to Heaven. The Catholic Church has not officially approved of these practices, but it has also not discouraged them.

THE GODDESS (ISHTAR or EASTER)
------------------------------
Pagans and Wiccans call their goddess "The Queen of Heaven".
Goddesses don't need salvation. They make the rules.
Goddesses don't have human children.
Goddesses don't die.
Witches are the adopted, "hidden children" of the Queen of Heaven.
Moon goddess.
Supernatural.
Points to herself.
Wants to be worshipped.
Invoked to make supernatural things happen through witchcraft (the use of special objects and special verbal formulas).
Goddesses don't need a savior.

Luke 11:27-28
"And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked." "But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it."

http://www.catholicconcerns.com/MaryWorship.html

ÃÂoppleganger said:
On May 7 Pope John Paul II dedicated his general audience to "the Virgin Mary" and urged all Christians to accept Mary as their mother...

You totally missed the point of my post. You don't even see that someone could accuse a Bible-thumping Protestant of the very same idolatry that you accuse a Catholic of with Mary.

Read the post again.

Regards

No! I don't miss nuthin', and when and if you leave I won't miss you!
Big Deal so I worship his WORD which is JESUS! John Chapter One!
People having been saying this about the Catholic Church since it began.

The following verses in the Qur'an say that Mary was a part of the Trinity. And behold! Allah will say: "O Jesus the son of Mary! Didst thou say unto men, 'Take me and my mother for two gods beside Allah'?" He will say: "Glory to Thee! Never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my heart, though I know not what in Thine. For Thou knowest in full all that is hidden. Qur'an 5:116

O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: nor say of Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) a messenger from Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His Messengers. Say not "Three": desist: It will be better for you: For Allah is One God: Glory be to Him: (Far Exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs. Qur'an 4:171

The Koran proclaims that "the Trinity of the Bible" are three Gods: "The Father, Jesus, and Mary"... as declared in the Sura 5:116, "Then God will say: Jesus son of Mary, did you ever say to mankind: "Worship me and my mother as gods besides God?"... and this is a "gross error" of the Koran, because the Bible does not say that the Trinity is "the Father, Jesus, and Mary", but "the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit"... and God cannot make that gross mistake!... Jesus and the Bible never ever said that Mary is God, never ever said to worship Mary... only you worship God in the Bible.

Christian missionaries for quite sometime have been saying that Muhammad 'misunderstood' the true concept of Trinity, which says the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit constitute the trinitarian godhead.

This notion of the divinity of the Virgin Mary was also believed by some at the Council of Nice, who said there were two gods besides the Father, Christ and the virgin Mary, and were thence named Mariamites. Others imagined her to be exempt from humanity, and deified; which goes but little beyond the popish superstition in calling her the complement of the Trinity, as if it were imperfect without her. This foolish imagination is justly condemned in the Koran as idolatrous, and gave a handle to Mohammed to attack the Trinity itself.

Rev. St. Clair Tisdall in his book The Original Sources Of The Qur'an says
... Muhammad heard certain Christians make that there are three Gods, that is to say God the Father, Mary, and Jesus. It is perfectly plain from these verses that Muhammad really did believe that the Christian doctrine inculcated belief in three separate Divine persons, Jesus and Mary being two of them. But our third quotation implies that Muhammad - probably from what he had seen of "Christian" worship - thought that the order was Jesus, Mary, God, or Mary, Jesus, God. No reasonable man will wonder at the indignation with which Muhammad in God's name abjures such blasphemy. We must all feel regret that the idolatrous worship offered to Mary led Muhammad to believe that people who called her "Queen of Heaven" and "Mother of God" really attributed to her Divine attributes.

George Sale in the preliminary discourse to his translation of The Koran writes:Arabia was of old famous for heresies; the heresies of Ebion, Beryllus, the Nazareans, and that of the Collyridians, which propagated the
[doctrine] introducing the Virgin Mary for God, or worshipped her by offering her baked cakes called collyris, hence the sect had its name.

Edward Gibbon in his book The History of The Decline & Fall Of The Roman Empire says: The Christians of the seventh century had insensibly relapsed into a semblance of paganism: their public and private vows were addressed to the relics and images that disgraced the temples of the East: the throne of the Almighty was darkened by the clouds of martyrs, and saints, and angels, the objects of popular veneration; and the Collyridian heretics, who flourished in the fruitful soil of Arabia, invested the Virgin Mary with the name and honours of a goddess.

St. Epiphanius, Bishop of Constantia, in Cyprus, writing in the fourth century against the Collyridians, says:
"After this a heresy appeared, by means of the letter written in Arabia about Mary. The heresy was made public in Arabia, Thrace and Scythia, For out of insolence towards Mary sowed hurtful ideas in the reflexions of men, For the harm is equal in both these heresies, the one belittling the holy Virgin, the other again glorifying her over-much. Who should it be that teach is but women? For the race of women is slippery, fallible, and humble-minded ... For some women deck out a square stool, spreading upon it a linen cloth, on some solemn day of the year, for some days they lay out bread, and offer it in the name of Mary. Yea, verily, the body of Mary was holy, but was surely not God. Verily, the Virgin was a virgin, and was honoured, but was not given to us to worship; but she worships Him who was born from her according to the flesh, having come from heaven out of the Father's bosom" This offering and eating of cakes was probably derived from the worship of Artemis, [Diana and Ishtar]. St. Epiphanius makes it quite clear the basics of the Collyridian heresy. It is worthwhile adding that even to this day, the Catholic Christians consider Mary as the Mother of God and prayers are sent to her.

In 1952, Catholic Archbishop Fulton Sheen devoted a chapter in his book, “The World's First Loveâ€Â, entitled “Mary and the Moslemsâ€Â. In it, he wrote that it is his firm belief that Moslems will eventually be converted in Christianity, thanks to the devotion they already have to the Virgin Mary. In fact, God the Father seems to have a special plan to draw the Moslems to Jesus through His Mother, Mary.

The Moslems thought so! The Roman Christian Pagans thought so! Do YOU! These facts aren't debatable in my mind. Mary has for nearly two milenia has been worshipped as equal to YAHWEH. Christ only got there on what he did and said. Ishtar still receives worship from its Roman cohorts because she's nice!

jgredline said:
You have got to be kidding?.....Mary vs the Words of all might God..... :o

Have you read John 1:1?

THAT is the Word of God, much more so than letters in a book written by men who CLAIM it is the Word of God.

You may continue to worship a book. I will worship Jesus Christ. And every time you accuse me of Mary worship rather than Christ, I will respond by saying you worship a book RATHER than Jesus Christ, THE Word of God.

It seems that the article I posted makes more and more sense.

Regards

ÃÂoppleganger said:
No! I don't miss nuthin', and when and if you leave I won't miss you!
Big Deal so I worship his WORD which is JESUS! John Chapter One!

No, you worship a book, not Jesus Christ.

francisdesales said:

Have you read John 1:1?

THAT is the Word of God, much more so than letters in a book written by men who CLAIM it is the Word of God.

You may continue to worship a book. I will worship Jesus Christ. And every time you accuse me of Mary worship rather than Christ, I will respond by saying you worship a book RATHER than Jesus Christ, THE Word of God.

It seems that the article I posted makes more and more sense.

Regards

Joe
Now you are resorting to taking scripture out of context....Shame, shame shame...You should know better than that....

And you know what..In referemce to John 1:1....You do have that right...I do worship the logos...While the Logos may be a book to YOU, To me it is Jesus Christ...I don't see how a book became flesh....I don't see how a book went to the cross....I don't see how a book healed the blind....I don't see how a book atoned for my sin.....

Here is a picture I took today...
This is your very typical ave family in L.A....Mary worshipers....
There was no hint of Jesus in this family....How do I know this? By the conversation we had...These folks did not feel worthy enough to approach God...And this is what some here defend...Makes me sick..
maryworshipuo8.jpg

Here is another Pic I took today...This one is at the front of the local catholic church....Again Mary is portraid here...and again, she is shown as ''the head of this church''....More mary worship....Oh and no sign of Christ, atleast not on the outside.......

moremaryworshipgc1.jpg

More mary worship....Another Pic I took....Folks, does this seem right to you...Worshiping the creature instead of the creator????????

maryworshiplo3.jpg

More mary worship.... :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I feel bad for Jesus...The creator of everything having to share ''his'' glory with mary....Well, at least as far as the catholic church is concerned.....

sangabrielmission16sa6.jpg

Where is the Word of God revealed to us where it has not been written down and passed onto the believers through the Law of Moses, the Writings of the Holy Men of God, and the Prophets?

Where else do we have record of the Word of God other than the writings of the New Testament?

Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them:
for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Exo 20:6 And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

On my way home today from a church that worships Jesus, I passed by this catholic church......
maryworship2xf4.jpg

Well, here we go...More graven images....

maryworship3vp2.jpg

And here is a close up of the Idle that sits atop the bell tower of this catholic church......Notice how large the graven Idle is compared to the cross....It sure says allot, does it not?

maryworship1vx2.jpg

jgredline said:
On my way home today from a church that worships Jesus, I passed by this catholic church......

Thanks for the beautiful pictures of the place where we worship God as a community.

It is nice to see such beautiful buildings created in honor of God.

Regards

francisdesales said:
Thanks for the beautiful pictures of the place where we worship God as a community.

It is nice to see such beautiful buildings created in honor of God.

Regards

You are most welcome. I love taking pictures and will be posting more and more of them.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back