Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is our answer in times of need.

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

Charismatic Bible Studies - 1 Peter 1:1-5, Part 1

1. What things came to your mind in reading this study? Do you believe we will truly have mansions in Heaven, or is it just what you regard to be a more materialistic interpretation of things "too good to be true"?

The bible tells us that we have rewards waiting for us in heaven depending on how we lived our lives here on earth These rewards could be interpreted in many ways. Some of those rewards consist of crowns and treasures including places to live. Although the KJV uses the term "mansions." other bibles call them rooms or dwellings.

I would personally be happy with a small wooden house with gardens of multi-colored flowers including daisies and wild flowers, daffodils, hydrangers and dahlias, fox gloves and Sunflowers. At the front of the house there is a white picket fence and a path leading into the forest to a grotto with a waterfall.

2. Are you the type who likes spending time with children and animals? If so, what would you enjoy most about being in their company?

I would be looking forward to catching up with some of my Sunday school and bible in schools students if they got there before I did. The bible tells us that unless we are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. So I think children can teach us a lot about innocence and trust. I love dogs particularly so I will be looking for my dog (border collie boxer cross) and catch up to the dogs that my family had which included 10 hunting dogs, a miniture collie, dalmation, english cocker spaniel and foxy.

3. If you could spend time with anyone in eternity, who would it be? Friends, family, animals, angels, children, prophets, the Lord Himself (as much as possible) or maybe other Bible characters you know from history?

Jesus.

4. Scripture says He gives us the desires of our hearts, so what would your ultimate dream home be like in Heaven? Post pictures of the kind of mansion, rooms, furnishings etc. you'd like to have in your home in eternity.

HD-wallpaper-in-the-bush-of-new-zealand-waterfall-river-ferns-trees.jpg7de0a66d6841730abd2157cf3d270c29.jpgcottage-with-white-picket-fence-blooming-flowers_124507-118767.jpg

I would personally be happy with a small wooden house with gardens of multi-colored flowers including daisies and wild flowers, daffodils, hydrangers and dahlias, fox gloves and Sunflowers. At the front of the house there is a white picket fence and a path leading into the forest to a grotto with a waterfall.

I go on to cover landscaping in Part 2, and I would want the same thing. A lot of color. :)
I love dogs particularly so I will be looking for my dog (border collie boxer cross) and catch up to the dogs that my family had which included 10 hunting dogs, a miniture collie, dalmation, english cocker spaniel and foxy.

I have a lot of pets I wanna be reunited with as well. Though some don't believe our pets go to Heaven, there are some accounts that suggest they do. But I want to see Smokey again, a 140 lbs. Black Lab who was a great friend to us for 10 years, and more cats than I can count, who were all great pets. :)

Among Bible characters, I think I would want to see five in particular: Paul (the church's greatest leader), Elijah (bad ass), Elisha (bad ass's apprentice), Enoch (the great pre-flood prophet), and Jude (the most creative writer in the NT).

There was no debris anywhere; no chips, no shavings, no dust. The wood seemed to have been perfectly prepared elsewhere - where, I have no idea. The pieces were made to fit accurately, like the parts of a great puzzle. It required much skill and artistic taste to properly adjust each in its place... [and] the house was slowly growing into beauty and symmetry. (Springer, My Dream Of Heaven, P.42-43)
Solomon builds a temple for the Lord.

1 Kings 6:7

7 In building the temple, only blocks dressed at the quarry were used, and no hammer, chisel or any other iron tool was heard at the temple site while it was being built.

I wouldn't make visions doctrine.

My desire to explore history is a strong thing even if it's horrible. I highly doubt I can explore grave yards, old battle sights, navy bases in heaven.
I would be remiss if I didn't add something negative. Not that I want to put out the fire of future bliss, but part of me is laser-focused on truth, reckless or not. Behind it all, though, is the powerful motive of my love for God's word, which if compromised will lose its zest.

One of my 1st great attractions to visions of the future came from Dr. Eby. Everything he said sounded so "God-like" and "possible," and all that. But then he predicted that Christ would come before he died, which didn't happen. Does that throw all of his visions into the sewer? I don't know! He did crack his skull open!

Anway, I don't look at visions at "doctrinal" or authoritative--they are just given for us to consider, whether real or symbolic. Personally, the source of my authority comes from explicit statements made in the Scriptures. They are my "rule." Anything beyond this has to be looked at as "maybe" or "not."

A number of "prophets" I really respect have had elements in their prophecies that seem to reflect human flaws. I know that it's said prophets are to be viewed as genuine only if their prophecies are true. But I think that requirement is not indicative that the prophets themselves must be sinless.

I do think some of the modern "prophets" see visions more than precise prophecies, and so are interpreting the visions for themselves, and perhaps even adding to them an imperfect impression. I cannot deny the unbelievable precision of some of their prophecies even while, at the same time, missing the mark in some ways. But I remain open on this...

As a personal note, I attended Melodyland Christian Center for a few years in Anaheim, CA in the 70s. Pastor Ralph Wilkerson, at that time, wrote the book "Beyond and Back," which was used as source for a movie made with the same name. Wilkerson later said that the movie changed things improperly. They were accounts of those who died and saw things before being rececoverd.

If our memories are completely healed we may be able to look into history without all of the agony those goes along with the negativities. If some of these visions mentioned above are true, then you'll probably have lots of lengthy books or DVDs that look into the past with technical precision--nearly real! ;) I don't think I could stomach it personally, even though I like history, as well.

Created with fangs yes, but if you look into Jewish tradition on this (which was clearly picked up on and adopted by the early church btw), the earth actually became corrupted at the time of Genesis 6:1-4, when fallen angels corrupted it through their influence and the giants that were born to them consumed the harvests until there was nothing left, and they then began turning on the living and initiated the practice of carnavorism.

After that, the entire animal kingdom began following suit until the earth was filled with nothing but evil continually and the Lord had to destroy it and start over. But that's a little far afield of our topic, so I was just mentioning that the original Judeo-Christian tradition is that the animal kingdom didn't fall into violence and predatorial behavior until Genesis 6.
I'm aware that the Early Church picked up on some of the Jewish views. I don't necessarily embrace them myself.

For example, I'm not of the view you mentioned, with respect to Genesis 6. Even though Jude or Peter may infer credibility with respect to the Book of Enoch, it may be that only part of that book is credible, because it contains both truth and fable. But we have to figure these things out for ourselves.

The Early Church had lots of problems just like we do today. Some may have expected Christ to come imminently, which obviously was wrong. ;) So we have to use the Scriptures as a rule, and question how much of the views in the Early Church properly represented divine truth.

I'm not either, but that's a question I'd surely like to get answers to at some point, Lol.

I like stuff that is extremely tasteful but communicates authority. Not sure if I can find anything...

Haven't found anything for outside just yet, but for inside this is the kind of thing. Luxurious, classy, & refined:

I'd want lots of windows too. I'd want a library that looked something like this:
I love the pics you're adding, as well as others who are doing the same! Beautiful! I have to be honest and admit that our own house is much more modest than the houses seen in this thread! ;)

We do have lots of windows with a partially obscured, partially not-obscured view. But our "pillars" are really just support posts--basically boxed-in 4x4s. ;)

I share your love of stately pillars and decorative porches on the front. It opens one up to the rest of the world, inviting them into your world. :)

Last edited:
The bible tells us that we have rewards waiting for us in heaven depending on how we lived our lives here on earth These rewards could be interpreted in many ways. Some of those rewards consist of crowns and treasures including places to live. Although the KJV uses the term "mansions." other bibles call them rooms or dwellings.
Yes, "mansions" may have been an embellished form for "dwellings," or places to live. But I'm sure they will be sized according to how God made us, based on what our own individual mission will be in Eternity.

For example, an architect may get an outsized house for his abilities simply because his skill and interest is in creating wonderful structures for others. A brilliant former monk may be excited about living out of a huge "suitcase," able to produce tools of his craft at will. Though monks are thought of as boring and legalistic, they may have a hidden beauty that only they will come to know on the other side? ;)

So size and flamboyance may be only part of the picture. I don't think any of it will be for personal glory, but only to outfit us with a reward appropriate to what we have proven to be faithful with. There will, however, be receding regrets there. In the end, there will be perfect satisfaction I should hope? That, after all, is true forgiveness.
Simplicity is as wonderful as complexity--it depends on how one looks at it. For example, some, like myself, have liked going "back to basics" in terms of minimizing gadgets and complicated technology. I love technology, but only so that things can be simplified.

On the other hand, engineer types and science nerds might enjoy the prospect of deeplly-complex creations to produce or resolve. Their idea of "heaven" might be a junk yard with enormous potential--perhaps even planet-sized? ;)
I would be looking forward to catching up with some of my Sunday school and bible in schools students if they got there before I did. The bible tells us that unless we are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. So I think children can teach us a lot about innocence and trust. I love dogs particularly so I will be looking for my dog (border collie boxer cross) and catch up to the dogs that my family had which included 10 hunting dogs, a miniture collie, dalmation, english cocker spaniel and foxy.

Jesus.
I think we will all cry when we see Jesus. But he would share many others with us, and not just have us all to himself. :)

And there simply must be dogs and cats there, and many "wild" animals no longer pent up in zoos.

Not fears. I have had visions of what my wife has done while I was in Afghanistan. That wasn't fun dealing with that.

I can see spirits and sense them but my point is you are using modern ideas of large homes. It's not sin but honestly since I walked homes over 26 rooms for work I have no inclination or desire to be near the ocean.

I don't mind hiking.

That house. I walked from a1a to where the main house is to get a read outside that wall. Not the biggest house in my county. I have walked further. My inclination to have things isn't considered normal. Yes I have a house but my eccentric nature is well known.

I photo homes often.
You appear to have a "knowledge" gift, much like I have at times. It's not always a pretty picture, seeing the world as it really is rather than how we'd like to see it or how it will eventually be.

You seem to have a love for houses, which I also have. Your job takes you through some interesting houses. My temporary job did, as well.

Many years ago I worked for the Dept of Agriculture doing the most "grunt" job one can do--laying down Japanese Beetle traps! ;) I had to lay down about 500 of them, 2 per square mile, and check them regularly.

What made the job fun was not just the neighborhoods I got to see, but also the houses where I had to stop and request being able to locate a trap on the property.

I've loved looking at what people own with respect to properties and houses. It's just someting I'm fascinated with. It really doesn't matter how big or small the property is--I always see potential. The homliest property can often be turned into a private oasis of beauty and enjoyment.

If we are going to go there

I would prefer a spanish revival house .
I don't know all of the architectural categories, but I do like things Spanish. I love the tiled roofs in particular. Way too many composition roofs up where I'm at in the Pacific NW. ;)

You appear to have a "knowledge" gift, much like I have at times. It's not always a pretty picture, seeing the world as it really is rather than how we'd like to see it or how it will eventually be.

You seem to have a love for houses, which I also have. Your job takes you through some interesting houses. My temporary job did, as well.

Many years ago I worked for the Dept of Agriculture doing the most "grunt" job one can do--laying down Japanese Beetle traps! ;) I had to lay down about 500 of them, 2 per square mile, and check them regularly.

What made the job fun was not just the neighborhoods I got to see, but also the houses where I had to stop and request being able to locate a trap on the property.

I've loved looking at what people own with respect to properties and houses. It's just someting I'm fascinated with. It really doesn't matter how big or small the property is--I always see potential. The homliest property can often be turned into a private oasis of beauty and enjoyment.
Utility work .

The interest in housing came from when I was hunting WW2 history and would see known houses from local stories .I decided to venture into these because they were often close to or in photos of the time frame.

Utility work .

The interest in housing came from when I was hunting WW2 history and would see known houses from local stories .I decided to venture into these because they were often close to or in photos of the time frame .

That neighborhood it's several .the area called original town , Edgewood, Osceola Park ,and mcansh Park .upper left corner is a Catholic church .the original church is still there .
WW2 I look at uniquely up here in the Pacific NW, Seattle area. A lot of it where I am is Navy and perhaps oriented towards Asia. But in WW2 my father was on boats in the Atlantic, and on a 2nd wave at Normandy. He was a radar guy, having joined the Navy and the War right out of highschool, perhaps only 17.

Anyway, you have a fun interest--not necessarily mine, but I can appreciate it. Requires some detail work, and I tend to taper off on subjects that I only have half an interest in. Thanks for the explanation. I still find it interesting.

WW2 I look at uniquely up here in the Pacific NW, Seattle area. A lot of it where I am is Navy and perhaps oriented towards Asia. But in WW2 my father was on boats in the Atlantic, and on a 2nd wave at Normandy. He was a radar guy, having joined the Navy and the War right out of highschool, perhaps only 17.

Anyway, you have a fun interest--not necessarily mine, but I can appreciate it. Requires some detail work, and I tend to taper off on subjects that I only have half an interest in. Thanks for the explanation. I still find it interesting.
Fort lewis has a lot of WW2 stuff left .mchord and madagin hospital were once all the same base .Yakima training base is from that time as well.

My first time at an army hospital was the old WW2 one . I took a bus there after going to sick call because of the tendonitis I had.i base my story telling of Florida ww2 on my time staying in the barracks ,training on old ranges and hospital.in general the kaehe army bases has the same set up

To list of ones that I know did

Camp branding ,fort lewis ,fort Pickett,fort chafee ?

Fort lewis has a lot of WW2 stuff left .mchord and madagin hospital were once all the same base .Yakima training base is from that time as well.

My first time at an army hospital was the old WW2 one . I took a bus there after going to sick call because of the tendonitis I had.i base my story telling of Florida ww2 on my time staying in the barracks ,training on old ranges and hospital.in general the kaehe army bases has the same set up

To list of ones that I know did

Camp branding ,fort lewis ,fort Pickett,fort chafee ?
You've certainly gotten around. We get around a bit too. We were fairly close to Pensacola not long ago!

I've been to Madigan--a mile of hallways on one level, as I recall. I not too long ago ate at a restaurant on base at Ft. Lewis. I've taken planes out of McChord. But the closest I've come to Florida is Alabama and S. Carolina. ;)

I envy your interest in and knowledge of WW2. My knowledge is not that great, but reasonable. Basic college 101 level plus the fact a buddy was an extreme wargame afficianado and had numerous board games.

He got me into Stalingrad, Panzer Leader, etc. A computer wargame called Panger General I really enjoyed, except that it doesn't play on newer computer systems--a limited version is available but lacks the fun scenarios. It utilized the actual tanks, planes, and units used in the battles with their appropriate strengths and weaknesses.

So that is where some of my knowledge and interest in WW2 came from. Anything you want to share on it may be of interest to me, depending on how far these threads allow for? ;) I've almost forgotten pardise now! ;)

You've certainly gotten around. We get around a bit too. We were fairly close to Pensacola not long ago!

I've been to Madigan--a mile of hallways on one level, as I recall. I not too long ago ate at a restaurant on base at Ft. Lewis. I've taken planes out of McChord. But the closest I've come to Florida is Alabama and S. Carolina. ;)

I envy your interest in and knowledge of WW2. My knowledge is not that great, but reasonable. Basic college 101 level plus the fact a buddy was an extreme wargame afficianado and had numerous board games.

He got me into Stalingrad, Panzer Leader, etc. A computer wargame called Panger General I really enjoyed, except that it doesn't play on newer computer systems--a limited version is available but lacks the fun scenarios. It utilized the actual tanks, planes, and units used in the battles with their appropriate strengths and weaknesses.

So that is where some of my knowledge and interest in WW2 came from. Anything you want to share on it may be of interest to me, depending on how far these threads allow for? ;) I've almost forgotten pardise now! ;)
Research ,it may deviate into the focus of airfield as I work for an airport .

Ie airport beacons

Look up Melbourne nas .that is now mlb international and it's beacon is there still as a display .vero nas ,where I once often and the primary reason I explore history has one

Solomon builds a temple for the Lord.

1 Kings 6:7

7 In building the temple, only blocks dressed at the quarry were used, and no hammer, chisel or any other iron tool was heard at the temple site while it was being built.

I had forgotten about this! What a cool insight that is, LoL. :thumb :)

One of my 1st great attractions to visions of the future came from Dr. Eby. Everything he said sounded so "God-like" and "possible," and all that. But then he predicted that Christ would come before he died, which didn't happen. Does that throw all of his visions into the sewer? I don't know! He did crack his skull open!

I remember reading Eby's visions as well, and many of those who have heavenly visions will say something like that. I think it's because the Lord wants believers not to become complacent. The salvation of souls is at the heart of why He shares the things of Heaven, as well as why He performs miracles and signs and wonders. The higher purpose is to draw people to Himself, and He has been doing so by leading men to believe His return was imminent now for 2,000 years. The entire early church was under this impression, and for basically the same reasons.

Those who study know enough to know better now. But I don't normally tell people things like that because it defeats His purpose. Many people need to think His return may be soon in order to keep them on the path of righteousness without going astray.
A number of "prophets" I really respect have had elements in their prophecies that seem to reflect human flaws. I know that it's said prophets are to be viewed as genuine only if their prophecies are true. But I think that requirement is not indicative that the prophets themselves must be sinless.

Correct. And I've done some studies on this that prove that some prophecies of the Lord can very clearly be circumvented if those prophesied over change the course they are headed in and truly repent.
I do think some of the modern "prophets" see visions more than precise prophecies, and so are interpreting the visions for themselves, and perhaps even adding to them an imperfect impression. I cannot deny the unbelievable precision of some of their prophecies even while, at the same time, missing the mark in some ways. But I remain open on this...

Also correct, and you have a pretty sharp understanding of things; surprisingly so. I have seen a number of people who have received accurate visions and dreams from God, but they then start throwing in their own slanted theology into the mix of the interpretations and completely misread what was being said. For instance, like the one you just mentioned. If they know no better than to think He could come within a week or two, they can get a vision about the
rapture and assume it means the Lord is saying it will be soon, or any other number of misconceptions. We all interpret dreams and visions through a lens, and how accurately we understand the truth will determine how accurate we are in our interpretations.

For example, I'm not of the view you mentioned, with respect to Genesis 6. Even though Jude or Peter may infer credibility with respect to the Book of Enoch, it may be that only part of that book is credible, because it contains both truth and fable. But we have to figure these things out for ourselves.

This is an interesting study if you look into it, because there is a prominent verse in most renditions of 1 Enoch that contain a blatant corruption. But if you look into more scholarly treatments of the book, the actual reading makes a ton more sense and is far more credible.

But yes, not all people believe in the Jewish and early Christian tradition. I don't argue with people over it, because it does seem like something out of a science fiction novel. And Jewish traditions by our day and time have become embellished a great deal. But the record and positions of the early church appear to be fully supported by the New Testament writers themselves, and I hold them as carrying more weight than the rest of modern scholarship as a whole combined, so I stick with what was written, and what best fits together with the apparent meaning.

This is an interesting study if you look into it, because there is a prominent verse in most renditions of 1 Enoch that contain a blatant corruption. But if you look into more scholarly treatments of the book, the actual reading makes a ton more sense and is far more credible.

But yes, not all people believe in the Jewish and early Christian tradition. I don't argue with people over it, because it does seem like something out of a science fiction novel. And Jewish traditions by our day and time have become embellished a great deal. But the record and positions of the early church appear to be fully supported by the New Testament writers themselves, and I hold them as carrying more weight than the rest of modern scholarship as a whole combined, so I stick with what was written, and what best fits together with the apparent meaning.
The Early Church had problems in Paul's own time, and even James' company and Paul's company appeared to have fissures. They did resolve some of the important issues, so I'm consoled by that.

But the only thing I can count on are the Scriptures because certain things the Holy Spirit seems to have made sure of. But I do respect your position, and there's certainly truth in it. Jude and Peter seem to have quoted from the book of Enoch.

The debates over the book of Enoch I sort of lay aside, because I really haven't studied it. I've only heard some of the arguments about it, and have read only parts of it on occasion.

Stories like the Nephilim being the product of angels who mated with women I have a problem with because Jesus said that in the Kingdom of God we will be genderless like the angels. If the angels have no gender, how can they mate with women?

Matt 22.30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

But I don't know. As you suggest some of this reads like fables and mythology. And I'm not sure the Early Church was immune to it--the people moreso than the leadership. So I don't know?

The debates over the book of Enoch I sort of lay aside, because I really haven't studied it. I've only heard some of the arguments about it, and have read only parts of it on occasion.

Stories like the Nephilim being the product of angels who mated with women I have a problem with because Jesus said that in the Kingdom of God we will be genderless like the angels. If the angels have no gender, how can they mate with women?

Matt 22.30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

But I don't know. As you suggest some of this reads like fables and mythology. And I'm not sure the Early Church was immune to it--the people moreso than the leadership. So I don't know?

Theological discussions for another thread some day. :)

Btw, I do wonder about shows of affection in eternity. The mansion and the house by the sea and all that quite honestly won't mean much to me without a companion. Maybe we all treat each other like companions, since scripture states we will know even as we are known, but I wanna live with someone. I don't wanna live alone in Heaven. I think it will still hold true that it is not good for a man to be alone.

Back