Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

chicken v egg

watnee

Is it better to have faith before having a deeper understanding of the Bible's teachings or is it better to arrive at your faith having traveled through the Bible "chapter and verse"? If you have faith first do you risk taking a, somewhat, superficial,subjective view of it's contents...re-enforcing pre conceived opinions, interpreting as you wish thereby possibly missing the fullness of it has to offer. Would it be more rewarding to take the long slow route to believing and in doing so gain a greater understanding of the struggles, sacrifices and suffering experienced by the people who inhabit the book? Does it make any difference to you when you hear others describe their faith v their knowledge of scripture? IE; faith lite v full blooded faith. Does arriving at your faith one way make you an easier target for those who wish to manipulate you for their own purposes? :chin

Watnee, within 1 hour you started a thread declaring yourself an atheist and citing observed behavior by Christians and differences of beliefs within the Church and then you posted this. If I hadn't read your other thread, I might be of the understanding that you were a Christian posing this thought to others in the faith.

People come to faith in different ways, but by hearing the Gospel is how people generally come to know the Lord. Some read the Word and come to believe. Regardless of how they come to faith, they are called to faith. Everyone needs to study the Word to solidify their understanding. They are given the ability to find it within themselves to accept that which on the surface is unacceptable. Some people are called and choose not to accept it. That's very sad. I believe it comes from evil within that doesn't want to be subordinate to any authority, especially God.

If you take the origins of the believers, you have to put yourself in the place of those who were present when claims of Jesus resurrection were being circulated. If these were false claims at the time, surely people would have stood up and said, "No! That's not true! I was there, and what he's saying is not true!" They were making claims that could have been refuted by other eye-witnesses.

Also, we have the martyrs who died rather than reject what they witnessed and knew to be true. They didn't read something that had been written, believe it, and carry it out to their death. They witnessed it and refused to back down when faced with death. But Muslim martyrs who also die for their belief. What about them? This is very different from actually witnessing it or not witnessing it and dying for the Truth. These people knew first hand whether they were telling the truth about something they claimed or not. Who would die for that? I say, no one. If I was telling a lie that I knew was a lie, I wouldn't die defending it. Would you? But if I was convinced by something I simply believed without witnessing it, I might.

In response to your other post (I think it was yours - there were a few recent ones), we can't judge the legitimacy of the Truth by man. We are flawed in the flesh and will behave in ways not acceptable to the Lord. There are also people to don't truly listen to God and understand His Truth. Differences that we have in our various doctrine stem from misunderstandings while in our human condition. Most of these are not "salvation issues". While they are different interpretations, our salvation does not hinge on them.

I pray you re-evaluate your stance and seek the Lord. If you honestly seek Him with your heart, you will find Him. He WILL reveal Himself to you as He has to me and countless others.

Blessings,
Mike

Not having read watnee's other posts.........

We all arrive at faith in different ways, but ultimately, for all, it is faith that that brings us to repentance. I have always liked this quote by Elton Trueblood, "Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation." Some people come to God through a road to Damascus experience, some are brought to their knees through an overcoming emotion, some spend years in study and contemplation, etc. There is not one way that is best. We are all on a journey, and we all come with our bags packed with all our individual differences: personality, emotionality, intelligence, etc. Not everyone finds their way. For me, I don't believe that salvation is a one time moment. I believe it is a process. Even someone who comes to God through a one time dynamic "road to Damascus" type of experience, even that person has years ahead of growing. Even someone who spends years of studying and can have "all" knowledge before coming to God, even that person after coming to God then has years of growing. Our journey doesn't end at the cross, it is a new beginning.

Back