Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Christians, are on Probation

Atonement said:
12,000 Jews from every tribe of the Jews which is 12 = 144,000

Jay T are you Jewish?
I believe that the following Bible verse will answer that for me.......
Romans 2:29 But he [is] a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision [is that] of the heart, in the spirit, [and] not in the letter; whose praise [is] not of men, but of God.

REMEMBER.....the New Covenant is for Israel only.
One must be born-again, into 'spiritual' Israel to come under the New Covenant (Hebrews 8:8-10).

BUT I know Paul was not a person who was committing wilful sins.......
Acts 24:10 Then Paul.......
24:16 And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and [toward] men.

Had Paul broken any of the commandments, He could not have said that !

Let us not forget, lest we become over-confident:

"For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord." (1 Corinthians 4:4)

Jay T said in another thread:

Paul kept the commandments of God....AFTER....he was converted, as in the born-again experience.
A sinner is defined as a person who is breaking God's commandments (1 John 3:4 & Romans 7:7).

The born-again experience is one of having had their sinfulness removed, so that the person is, obedient towards God, instead of being in rebellion against God's Law.....
Romans 8:6 For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace.
8:7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Actually a sinner is someone who lives a repetitive lifestyle of sin, someone who is lawless. Christians will still sin from time to time though. The difference is that we are no longer slave to the flesh though the flesh is still in us. Thus "Walk in the Spirit and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh". The grace of God is what enables us to live that lifestyle of being Spirit filled.

cybershark5886 said:
Jay T said in another thread:

Actually a sinner is someone who lives a repretitive lifestyle of sin, someone who is lawless. Christians will still sin from time to time though. The difference is that we are no longer slave to the flesh though the flesh is still in us. Thus "Walk in the Spirit and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh". The grace of God is what enables us to live that lifestyle of being Spirit filled.
Yes, there is a difference between 'accidental sins' (like hitting your finger with a hammer, and cursing)....
And, the wilful sins, which is planned ahead of time.like sabbath-breaking, making idols, ect.

God has provided forgiveness of accidental sins, which occcur before one has had time to reflect on ones actions.

BUT if a person has totally embraced...... Phill. 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Then, accidental sins will not occur !

Gal 3:5-14 Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 6 just as Abraham "believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." 7 Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham. 8 And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, "In you all the nations shall be blessed." 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham.

The Law Brings a Curse

10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them." 11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for "the just shall live by faith." 12 Yet the law is not of faith, but "the man who does them shall live by them."

13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree"), 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Being under the curse through trying to be justified by the works of the law is contrasted with being blessed as a believer.... See verse 9. The quotation from Deut. 27:26 says that those who do not keep the whole law are cursed, proving that all are cursed who follow the law, because all fall short of the law's standards
Rom 3:10 As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not one;
Rom 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God

Paul quotes Hab. 2:4 4 "Behold the proud, His soul is not upright in him;
But the just shall live by his faith''. to demonstrate that a person can only be justified through faith. He cites Lev. 18:5 to prove that keeping the law to gain salvation is utterly incompatible with faith.
Lev 18:5 ''You shall therefore keep My statutes and My judgments, which if a man does, he shall live by them: I am the Lord''.

Paul knew that many of his readers would perceive that they were actually under the curse of the law...see verse Gal 3:10 above. For them as for us it is incredibly comforting to know that Christ became that curse for us on the Cross Deut. 21:23.'' his body shall not remain overnight on the tree, but you shall surely bury him that day, so that you do not defile the land which the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance; for he who is hanged is accursed of God.

jgredline said:
The Law Brings a Curse
True....'the wages of sin is death'.
BUT, only applies to those who break the Law of God.

Those who keep the Law of God are Blessed, and get into heaven.....
22:14 " Blessed [are] they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city".

Jay T said:
True....'the wages of sin is death'.
BUT, only applies to those who break the Law of God.

Those who keep the Law of God are Blessed, and get into heaven.....
22:14 " Blessed [are] they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city".

Jay T
Sit back and re read what you have just wrote.
Only an unsaved person would write what you just wrote.
You can't work your way into heaven. Read and study Galations, Romans and the the Gospel of John. I would be happy to teach them to you if you need help.

jgredline said:
Jay T
Sit back and re read what you have just wrote.
Only an unsaved person would write what you just wrote.
You can't work your way into heaven. Read and study Galations, Romans and the the Gospel of John. I would be happy to teach them to you if you need help.
I REALLY understand why Jesus said this: "I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth ? (Luke 18:8)

Faith, is believing what God says....period !

Why I'm an SDA....because they are the only ones I've found, that believe what God says....in both the OT as well as the NT !

When God says this......
Revelation 22:14 Blessed [are] they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Why is that so hard to accept ?

When Jesus said this:

19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Why don't you believe what HE said ?
Luke 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Why can't you simple believe this Bible verse .......
Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

In my experience, Sunday keepers believe in only one side, as in believing the Bible contradicts itself.
EXAMPLE ?
Romans 2:13 (For not the hearers of the law [are] just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin.

OK, Paul is the author of both of these statements......
Which is right, and the other one wrong ?

OR.....do you believe that both are true statements, and a person has to come up with an answer, that makes both of these Bible verses, harmonize with each other ?

Jay T said:
I REALLY understand why Jesus said this: "I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth ? (Luke 18:8)

Faith, is believing what God says....period !
Luke 8:8
8 I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?"

Jesus' question here is whether upon His return believers will still be looking for Him. Persecution can cause the faithful to lose their enthusiasm. In asking this question, Jesus is exhorting believers not to lose heart

Jay T said:
Why I'm an SDA....because they are the only ones I've found, that believe what God says....in both the OT as well as the NT !

My guess is that you did not look very far... Then again you did say that Jesus was an SDA :o

Jay T said:
When God says this......
Revelation 22:14 Blessed [are] they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Why is that so hard to accept ?

When Jesus said this:

I agree that we should try and keep all of Gods commandments, but you pervert them by making them a condition of Salvation when this is unbiblical... We are saved by Grace through faith alone... A true follower of Christ will produce good works. Good works however are not a part of salvation...something you do not seem to understand.
We are saved by grace and not by works....for our works are like filthy rags to God...

Jay T said:
Why can't you simple believe this Bible verse .......
Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

The law was there to show us that we ''can't'' keep it....you really need to study Romans...I would be happy to teach it to you if you like....

Jay T said:
In my experience, Sunday keepers believe in only one side, as in believing the Bible contradicts itself.
EXAMPLE ?
Romans 2:13 (For not the hearers of the law [are] just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin.

OK, Paul is the author of both of these statements......
Which is right, and the other one wrong ?

OR.....do you believe that both are true statements, and a person has to come up with an answer, that makes both of these Bible verses, harmonize with each other ?

Jay T
Like I said, you need to study Romans. If you knew anything about Pauline theology you would know that Paul uses Rhetorical questions and statements. In the Section of rom 2;13 paul is in his beginning statements about the Law in regards that no one can keep it and as he gets to rom 3:20 he is starting to set the tone for chapter 8 ...The begining part or the book of Romans is all about the law and how there is none that is riteous, no not one...It speaks of the wrath of God and how we are all condemed to it unless we are made riteous through Jesus Christ and Christ alone...Those that are under the law, like you are face the wrath of God, for those who are under grace there is now no condemnation...

The point I was trying to make is.....that once our sins were asked forgiveness for.......there must be a time of testing that true repentance attitude.

In other words, are we truely sorry for the sins we asked forgivenss for ?

Have we determined NEVER to commit ANY SIN which God reveals to us that we don't know about yet ?
Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Yes, there is a difference between 'accidental sins' (like hitting your finger with a hammer, and cursing)....
And, the wilful sins, which is planned ahead of time.like sabbath-breaking, making idols, ect.

God has provided forgiveness of accidental sins, which occcur before one has had time to reflect on ones actions.

Well, out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. So whose fault is that...

BUT if a person has totally embraced...... Phill. 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Then, accidental sins will not occur !

I agree. And that is our ultimate goal, but it seemed that you had some perfect view of Paul in mind when you posted what I quoted.

Paul himself said, "Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me." (Phillipians 3:12) Paul acknowledged that none us are yet perfect but that is our ultimate goal that we constantly are striving for and that we ought to be renewed in our minds daily for.

Jay T said:
The point I was trying to make is.....that once our sins were asked forgiveness for.......there must be a time of testing that true repentance attitude.

In other words, are we truely sorry for the sins we asked forgivenss for ?

Have we determined NEVER to commit ANY SIN which God reveals to us that we don't know about yet ?
Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Why are we tested? Who is testing us?

cybershark5886 said:
Paul himself said, "Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me." (Phillipians 3:12) Paul acknowledged that none us are yet perfect but that is our ultimate goal that we constantly are striving for and that we ought to be renewed in our minds daily for.
Yes, and this is an example the modern day Christian should follow.....there is no such thing as: "I'm saved", as though one has already attained to the perfect Christian stature.
Paul NEVER said he was 'saved', but implied he was in the process of being.....saved.

Yes, and this is an example the modern day Christian should follow.....there is no such thing as: "I'm saved", as though one has already attained to the perfect Christian stature.
Paul NEVER said he was 'saved', but implied he was in the process of being.....saved.

Well now don't get confused. We can be assured of our salvation the instant we are saved but it is not fully completed as a process until we go to be with God. God saves us and puts a new man in us and His Holy Spirit as a seal, and those who are truely saved will persevere.

cybershark5886 said:
Well now don't get confused. We can be assured of our salvation the instant we are saved but it is not fully completed as a process until we go to be with God. God saves us and puts a new man in us and His Holy Spirit as a seal, and those who are truely saved will persevere.

Cyber
That is a great way of puting it...Great post...

Solo said:
Why are we tested? Who is testing us?
Well, since Jay T has refused to answer any more of my posts, I will submit the following:

God does not test man to see whether he is good enough to gain access into the Kingdom of God, and anyone who subscribes to this theory is mistaken.

12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. 13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. 16 Do not err, my beloved brethren. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. 18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. James 1:12-18

The Greek word πειραζω which is translated tempted in the KJV is a verb that means examine, assay, prove, test, tempt.

Strongs definition is listed below:

Strong's Number: 3985
Original Word - peiravzw
Transliterated Word - Peirazo
Phonetic Spelling - pi-rad'-zo
Parts of Speech - Verb

Definition
  1. to try whether a thing can be done
    • to attempt, endeavour[/*:m:e41e2]
    [/*:m:e41e2]
  2. to try, make trial of, test: for the purpose of ascertaining his quantity, or what he thinks, or how he will behave himself
    • in a good sense[/*:m:e41e2]
    • in a bad sense, to test one maliciously, craftily to put to the proof his feelings or judgments [/*:m:e41e2]
    • to try or test one's faith, virtue, character, by enticement to sin
      • to solicit to sin, to tempt 1c[/*:m:e41e2]
      [/*:m:e41e2]
    • of the temptations of the devil [/*:m:e41e2]
    • after the OT usage
      1. of God: to inflict evils upon one in order to prove his character and the steadfastness of his faith [/*:m:e41e2]
      2. men are said to tempt God by exhibitions of distrust, as though they wished to try whether he is not justly distrusted [/*:m:e41e2]
      3. by impious or wicked conduct to test God's justice and patience, and to challenge him, as it were to give proof of his perfections.[/*:m:e41e2]
      [/*:m:e41e2][/list:o:e41e2][/*:m:e41e2][/list:o:e41e2]

cybershark5886 said:
That is correct !

Now, I want to emphasize that the 'old' man would not (could not) obey any of God's commandments, which of course, are based on the principle of love.......
Romans 8:6 "For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace.
8:7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be".

The 'new' man is....in harmony with God's 10 commandments (Exodus 20:3-17) because that person realizes that that those 10 commandments are based on the principle of love, both to God (first 4), and to their fellow man (last 6 commandments).

ONLY the true born-again person realizes that point !

When Jesus Christ said: "If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love".

Jesus Christ placed love, as the motivating factor, in keeping the commandments of God.

The 'new 'person' in Christ realizes this fact, while the 'old' person...does not !

That is why the Bible tells us, that those who do not....keep the commandments, do not know Jesus Christ (1 John 2:3-6).

And, this is manifested daily, in the life of both Non-Believers, and Believers.

jgredline said:
If a Christian is made riteouse through Jesus Christ, how can he be a criminal?
A person is only Righteous, as lonng as they don't commit any sin.

Righteousness is defined in the Bible, as the commandments of God (Psalms 119:172).

Sin, is defined as breaking any one of the commandments of God (1 John 3:4 & Romans 7:7).

Jesus Christ was Righteous, BECAUSE He kept the commandments...relying upon God, to do the works, in Him.

Jesus tells us to do the same thing.....rely upon God to keep the commandments...THRU the power of God, alone.

Back