Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Church of Christ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The CoC I knew may not be the CoC of today, but back then, it was almost sacrilege to express emotion where "church" was concerned. Two things stick inmy mind.

One was a time I was speaking with one of the deacons. I said, "I feel........"
I didn't even get the sentence out when he said in a condescending voice...... "FEELINGS????, Brother?"

Another was when a visitor raised one hand, and quietly said "Amen", to something the preacher said. Almost immediately, someone sitting near him, turned to him and said, quite directly, "We don't do that here."

Thank you for sharing from your experience at a Church of Christ service.

JLB

Thank you for sharing from your experience at a Church of Christ service.

JLB
Would you like a list of the hundreds of things like that over a 12 year period?

Thank God that He finally woke me up to the need to follow Christ, rather than just try and make myself look like a "good member".

Would you like a list of the hundreds of things like that over a 12 year period?

Thank God that He finally woke me up to the need to follow Christ, rather than just try and make myself look like a "good member".

Amen.

We all are responsible to seek and follow Christ, rather than conforming to religious denominations.

JLB

Do you mean the emotional charismatic part that at times can take over the whole service and leaves out the teaching of the word and only leaves one with a feel good temporal feeling until they walk out of the door or do you mean they have no clue what the Holy Spirit is. I was brought up in the United Church of Christ and that is where I first learned about Jesus in Sunday school at a very young age. My Grandmother who was my Spiritual inspiration when I was in my twenties taught me by example of the love of Christ that shone through her that she learned by going to UCoC. Is it not up to us as an individual to seek out truth and not believe everything that is taught from the pulpit, but to get into the word for ourselves. It could be a time and season that we walk into any Church as we seek truth and if not found there then we move on to another. It's always good when you go to a new Church to ask what their statement of faith is and read their by-laws so you can become familiar with what they do believe.
In all honesty, exactly THAT has happened in churches I've been in... maybe four times in the past twenty years... and they were some of the most "God Aware" times I have ever experienced in my life. If we are going to church expecting to receive the teaching we need in that tiny half-hour of talking from the pulpit, we are in trouble.

Preachers can inspire you to study certain things, but they sure should not be expected to teach us the Bible in those 26 hours we sit and listen to them in the entire year. (That works out to less than four and a half minutes a day)

Last edited:
Mostly in the AofG organisation i have seen quiet reserved ( stuffed shirt) to literally rolling (nut) on the floor... the point each group of people are different as each of us are different,,,

One things for sure, I ain't going to no First Assembly of God. The acronym for their church name will have me busting out in not so holy laughter every time I thinks about it.

On second thought, maybe I will go there. I could have a little fun with that. And then right after they throw me out the front door I'll go visit the charismatic church I should have gone to in the first place. :lol

(And, yes Gary, I will take pictures.)

Last edited:
Do you mean the emotional charismatic part that at times can take over the whole service and leaves out the teaching of the word and only leaves one with a feel good temporal feeling until they walk out of the door or do you mean they have no clue what the Holy Spirit is.
It's been my experience that the charismatic churches, generally speaking (Deborah, lol), have the Bible knowledge market cornered pretty well. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but that's my honest observation. And as far as knowledge and understanding about the workings of the Holy Spirit they're the one's to consult. They may not walk in the gifts very well at times, but they definitely know the most about them.

When i was old enough to see how the AofG operated i stayed clear....keeping in mind each local church group can be different then the next...Knowing how they covered up for this guy or that one... allowing the cancer to grow.. :shame

These are good points.

OSAS: don't really care as long as they don't press me to be that, too. (Besides, I'll set 'em straight, lol).

Preterism: As long as it's not what every sermon is about I'll be fine. Since I don't know that much about it anyway it will be interesting to learn more.

Gifts of the Spirit: I'm okay here, too, since I know they pray for their sick, and they prophesy but just don't realize that's what they're doing. I think they are devoted to serious study of the scriptures. I'm looking for that, for sure.

No musical instruments: At my age I really don't care anymore. That can distract from worship anyway. Especially now that rock and/or roll has taken over in the church (generally speaking, Deborah :lol).

Literally being saved by water baptism: Though I don't believe that, I'm all for immediate immersion when a person gets saved. They'll never know what I really think about it. :wink

It's funny, but I had an interesting dream this morning that wants me to go back to thinking about the loco--I mean 'local'--charismatic church. If it's a Joel Osteen offshoot I won't be interested. If it's teaching oriented like Joyce Meyers I'll be very interested.
You should go and check them out at least. But if they really are teaching so many of these rather important things that you disagree with, is it wise to get involved with them? When you surround yourself with what you consider to be false doctrine, it's really hard to keep on resisting it! One or two little things, maybe. But you've mentioned quite a few pretty big issues here if it turns out they really are like this.

Christian emotion is not a bad thing.... love is an emotion...

It's not a bad thing, but when the charismatic portion (which I love praising the Lord as much as the next person and want to dance as David danced) becomes the only thing and takes over the whole service then that's where I have a problem as I also want some word for that is the whole purpose is to learn.

In all honesty, exactly THAT has happened in churches I've been in... maybe four times in the past twenty years... and they were some of the most "God Aware" times I have ever experienced in my life. If we are going to church expecting to receive the teaching we need in that tiny half-hour of talking from the pulpit, we are in trouble.

Preachers can inspire you to study certain things, but they sure should not be expected to teach us the Bible in those 26 hours we sit and listen to them in the entire year. (That works out to less than four and a half minutes a day)

What!!! Preachers are not suppose to teach us the Bible! Then what is the whole purpose of God anointing them to do so. Are we to void out that which Jesus said in Matthew 28:18-20!

I think what brother Willie is saying is that if our entire foundation of biblical teaching comes from a preachers sermon alone, we are not where we should be. Gods anointing indeed equips the preacher to equip us, most of the time those sermons are intended for the one or the few, not all. When God anoints a congregation, that is a corporate teaching, a direct revelation without need of a medium.

I think what brother Willie is saying is that if our entire foundation of biblical teaching comes from a preachers sermon alone, we are not where we should be.
And also, if all you know is what you heard during that VERY short time on Sunday morning, you really have not heard too much about the Bible.

And then there is the gigantic problem that many people honestly think a preacher's job is to stand up there and preach the Gospel to people already saved, again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again,.....

It's been my experience that the charismatic churches, generally speaking (Deborah, lol), have the Bible knowledge market cornered pretty well. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but that's my honest observation. And as far as knowledge and understanding about the workings of the Holy Spirit they're the one's to consult. They may not walk in the gifts very well at times, but they definitely know the most about them.

I love a good worship and praise service as described in Psalms 150 as I love getting into the Spirit and even dancing in the Spirit :sohappyand shouting "GLORY", but not all these types of Churches have true Biblical knowledge as they build their knowledge on mans traditional doctrines and not Gods true doctrine.

If you want people strong in Bible knowledge you're headed the right way... undoubtedly!
I would not agree with this. The more conservative denominations that fall under Reformed circles are very well studied. Specifically, the OPC, PCA, and URC, among others.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back