Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Closet Christian Rock Bands?

I would say it could be about a woman. It could also be about "easy livin'" itself. Whoever wrote it was waiting a long time to finally live easy. David Byron died from alcoholism, pretty much. I know that doesn't mean that the song couldn't be about Jesus. Ken Hensley was in a band called The Gods with John Glascock, who went on to join Jethro Tull(I'm not sure if there is any band that bashes Christianity more than Jethro Tull). I mean, imagine if a band tried to promote themselves as Christian rock, and their name was The Gods. How many true Christians would be buying their albums? Lee Kerslake went from Uriah Heep to Ozzy Osbourne. Having said all that, the possibility remains that the song could still have been about Jesus. You do bring up a good point about songs being written by different members. If I was betting in Vegas, if it was somehow possible, I would bet that the song isn't about Jesus. There is a chance I would lose, but that is what I would bet, even though I'm not a gambler.

I googled who wrote Easy Living and came up empty. I found a list of the songs (Wiki) and it list the writer(s) and Easy Living was blank. Interesting that. Some of the other songs had multiple names by them. Perhaps they sat and wrote them together. But not Easy Living, perhaps it was inspired and they don't even remember? That's kind of tongue in cheek there but we do know that that is how God works sometimes. A lot of between the lines type of stuff. This plants seeds in non believers and makes believers persevere.

Mike:

PS: re. head-banging, it's sensible to be careful, because too much vigor can be harmful on the neck; there have been cases.

Blessings.

I googled who wrote Easy Living and came up empty. I found a list of the songs (Wiki) and it list the writer(s) and Easy Living was blank. Interesting that. Some of the other songs had multiple names by them. Perhaps they sat and wrote them together. But not Easy Living, perhaps it was inspired and they don't even remember? That's kind of tongue in cheek there but we do know that that is how God works sometimes. A lot of between the lines type of stuff. This plants seeds in non believers and makes believers persevere.
I tried to search too. You would think that somewhere on the internet you could find an interview with one or more of the band members talking about that song, considering it is one of their most popular, if not the most popular. I'm sure that many people before you came to the "Jesus" conclusion. Hey, if that's what moves them and provokes thought in the people they introduce that song to, it's all good. :)

No real opinion on it. I don't tend to be one of the people who moves to the music too much. Don't think there's anything wrong with it, though.

questdriven:

Anyway, if your brother does it, better not to do it too vigorously, because an example I read of a younger teen was of someone who banged his head up and down too vigorously and hurt himself.

Blessings.

questdriven:

Anyway, if your brother does it, better not to do it too vigorously, because an example I read of a younger teen was of someone who banged his head up and down too vigorously and hurt himself.

Blessings.
True.
I don't think he does headbanging, but he does dance around. xD He said at Winter Jam he was dancing the whole time, and he was exhausted afterwards (When he told my mom this, she was like "Dancing?!")

True.
I don't think he does headbanging, but he does dance around. xD He said at Winter Jam he was dancing the whole time, and he was exhausted afterwards (When he told my mom this, she was like "Dancing?!")

questdriven:

Why not ask mom to come with you guys next year? she might find she likes Winter Jam, too.

Blessings.

questdriven:

Why not ask mom to come with you guys next year? she might find she likes Winter Jam, too.

Blessings.
She has a lot of health issues, and the line is extremely long. I don't think she'd have done well with having to stand in line that long. I hadn't even thought about that at first, but when I got home that night we (she and I) concluded that it was a good thing she didn't come.

She has a lot of health issues, and the line is extremely long. I don't think she'd have done well with having to stand in line that long. I hadn't even thought about that at first, but when I got home that night we (she and I) concluded that it was a good thing she didn't come.

questdriven:

Sorry to hear this. You know, in the long term it would be really great if you, your brother and your mom could all go together to a local church that you could all feed well at, and enjoy the fellowship together and be supportive and supported.

Blessings.

I'm not sure what his music listening habits are. I know he likes Crush 40, Skillet, Newsboys, and Whosoever (Christian hiphop/rap group).

questdriven:

So he's into Skillet, too? maybe mom has bought him Skillet on CD, as well?

Anyway, sounds like you guys have pretty well got over any rock music issue at home that there might have been once.

Blessings.

questdriven:

So he's into Skillet, too? maybe mom has bought him Skillet on CD, as well?

Anyway, sounds like you guys have pretty well got over any rock music issue at home that there might have been once.

Blessings.
He tends to listen to his music online, so he hasn't requested one. If he did, she'd probably buy him one.

He tends to listen to his music online, so he hasn't requested one. If he did, she'd probably buy him one.

questdriven:

Well then? :) Most definitely seems like she doesn't have a problem with you guys getting into Christian hard rock, because if she's bought Skillet for you and would do so for him also, she's basically saying, if in not so many words, "Enjoy! and appreciate their faith link with their music also".

(If this makes sense.)

Blessings.

Well, don't get me wrong, there is some disagreement between us on the issue of music as this does come up sometimes. But she doesn't consider it a major issue, and she does seem to be much more open to it than she used to be.

Well, don't get me wrong, there is some disagreement between us on the issue of music as this does come up sometimes. But she doesn't consider it a major issue, and she does seem to be much more open to it than she used to be.

questdriven:

Well, okay, but it does mean that she now respects you as an adult, and recognizes that you are a hard rock sort of woman in your musical tastes. So I guess, like you say, there has been progress; she is more 'open'. And obviously she's not just following the personal opinions of the preacher/pastor at your church, right?

Blessings.

questdriven:

Well, okay, but it does mean that she now respects you as an adult, and recognizes that you are a hard rock sort of woman in your musical tastes. So I guess, like you say, there has been progress; she is more 'open'. And obviously she's not just following the personal opinions of the preacher/pastor at your church, right?

Blessings.
Yeah, she disagrees with him on a few things.

I've got to leave now. Got a lot of homework.

This plants seeds in non believers and makes believers persevere.

Edward:

You mean like, wholesome hard rock performed by Christians can plants seeds to stir the conscience of non-Christians and encourage Christian hard rock enthusiasts to keep pursuing this style and manner of witness?

Some of the Christian heavy metal lyrics is rather bold, in any case.

Blessings.

Someone asked about Alice Cooper earlier, and after a quick skim of the posts, I didn't really see much that talked about his music. Me being a former Alice Cooper fan, I'll tell you what I know and what my opinions are:

It won't be hard to find two facts: 1. "Alice Cooper" was a name of a early American accused witch, and 2. Alice Cooper the singer was a son of an ordained minister from Michigan. Do what you will with those pieces of info.

I don't know that I've heard every AC song out there (I'm sure I haven't) but I don't remember him ever doing a song directly about Satan (expcept one called "Don't know why I'm here). Most of it is about mental unstability, emotional problems, disillusioned youth, insanity, etc... Especially his earlier songs from the 70's. "I'm 18" was perhaps one of his top 2 biggest hits. It was about a neglected teen who didn't seem to know what decisions to make. Other songs like "The Ballad of Dwight Frye" was about a man in a mental institution. He made a whole album about his experiences in a mental hospital due to alcohol abuse called "From the inside".

That song "Don't Know Why I'm Here" is about someone who is in Hell trying to bargain with the Devil. It's actually pretty funny. Another song from that same album (which was called Alice Cooper Goes to Hell -- which seemed as an attempt to go disco... go fig!) was called "Having a helluva time here.... It's a letter to someone from another in hell. The Title tract of that album was a song about all the things Alice thought would put you in hell. For example, being a brat.

The large majority of his songs were just macabe and horror movies put into music. In fact, one of his songs was the theme for one of the Friday the 13th movies. His album "Welcome to My Nightmare" really sounded like it was trying to inspire horror movies.

There were a few songs he did which didn't seem to have any horror, evil or insanity theme to them.... One I really like was called "Be my Lover". Not a "Christian" themed song by any means.... But just a song about two people getting together over a drink or two (well, maybe three).

So, there's as much or more than you want to know about AC's Music... Don't get mad at me if I missed somethng.... I did this all on memory...

Back