Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Closet Christian Rock Bands?

PS:

questdriven:

I'm still a bit intrigued; not good as in not good quality, or

not good as in bad?

Blessings.
As in bad. Kinda hard to explain. Bad as in, some people think rock music is somehow inherently evil. (Part of the logic apparently being that it came from music that was used to summon demons or whatever. Very faulty reasoning and logic, if you ask me.)

As in bad. Kinda hard to explain. Bad as in, some people think rock music is somehow inherently evil. (Part of the logic apparently being that it came from music that was used to summon demons or whatever. Very faulty reasoning and logic, if you ask me.)

questdriven:

Oh. Well, ty.

But she buys you Skillet, which is hard rock, anyway. And would do so for your brother, also, you reckon.

So maybe she can't really take that position, seriously; maybe it's more a question of her repeating things that other people say about their own preferences...

Anyway, you know your mom, what she might or might not mean.

Thanks for the explanation. Blessings.

PS: I'm certainly not trying to be critical of your dear mom; just attempting to figure the maybe developing line of thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Can't say I'm a fan of their clothing style (just doesn't appeal to me), but it doesn't look nearly as "bad" as the pamphlet made it out to be, either. Then again, the people who wrote the pamphlet were probably against men ... wearing earrings, etc. I'm not.

questdriven:

Do you think your mom was possibly influenced by this pamphlet? and does she have negative thoughts about men's earrings? (women's tattoos? etc.)

Blessings.

questdriven:

Do you think your mom was possibly influenced by this pamphlet? and does she have negative thoughts about men's earrings? (women's tattoos? etc.)

Blessings.
Yup. It's a pamphlet my church has. She thinks men should not wear earrings, and she's against tattoos.

Yup. It's a pamphlet my church has. She thinks men should not wear earrings, and she's against tattoos.

questdriven:

Well, I see. Thought it was maybe something like this, anyway.

She might modify her views, of course, a bit. These things are a feature of many Christian rock bands and their members, anyway.

Like with earrings, she's okay with them for women only, then? and tattoos for men only, maybe? she thinks they are a gender thing?

Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't. Think the publisher was "Sword of the Lord".

questdriven:

Oh, well, I see. Some fundamentalist circles and publications may be good in various ways, including doctrinal, but they also might tend sometimes to make arbitrary statements about subjective, cultural matters also. Anyway maybe this is where your mom got the idea that earrings are for women only and tattoos for men only, then. (Who knows?)

Blessings.

questdriven:

Oh, well, I see. Some fundamentalist circles and publications may be good in various ways, including doctrinal, but they also might tend sometimes to make arbitrary statements about subjective, cultural matters also. Anyway maybe this is where your mom got the idea that earrings are for women only and tattoos for men only, then. (Who knows?)

Blessings.
Yeah. Doctrinally, I'm a baptist. But when it comes to pop culture and entertainment? So not. I kinda don't want the people at my church to know what I watch and listen to. xD

I think she's against tattoos at all, but earrings is definitely a gender thing to her.

Yeah. Doctrinally, I'm a baptist. But when it comes to pop culture and entertainment? So not. I kinda don't want the people at my church to know what I watch and listen to. xD

I think she's against tattoos at all, but earrings is definitely a gender thing to her.

questdriven:

Well, I'm sure there are other baptists who listen to the same music and concerts as you do, right? (Maybe you should try to connect with them?)

Men's earrings and tattoos on men and women are just all part of the Christian rock scene, really, and you need not be bothered by them (and you might even get to like them, sometimes.)

Blessings.

I'm sure there are, but not the people at my church. xD They would probably disapprove of anime, especially.

It doesn't bother me. My mom might be a little concerned with the bands I like if she found out that the band members have tattoos and such, though.

The band I saw recently, October Glory, the members had tattoos and ear lobe enlargements.

I believe lyrics are important too, especially if you're singing along.

There is some evidence that just the sound and rhythm affects the health of living things, though.

Apparently, plants exposed to rock music eventually lean away from it and die. And with mice, they seem to be driven to kill each other.

It's quite bizarre, to say the least.

I'm sure there are, but not the people at my church. xD They would probably disapprove of anime, especially.

It doesn't bother me. My mom might be a little concerned with the bands I like if she found out that the band members have tattoos and such, though.

The band I saw recently, October Glory, the members had tattoos and ear lobe enlargements.

questdriven:

Would she be concerned? so why would this be, do you think? (As if the tattoo might 'affect' the music...)

Recently I looked up October Glory and they have a strong witness sense to their music. (Do the earlobe enlargements bother you at all?)

Blessings.

questdriven:

Would she be concerned? so why would this be, do you think? (As if the tattoo might 'affect' the music...)

Recently I looked up October Glory and they have a strong witness sense to their music. (Do the earlobe enlargements bother you at all?)

Blessings.
She might, but because she doesn't consider it a Christian thing to do.

(Earlove enlargments don't bother me, I'm just not a fan of them.)

She might, but because she doesn't consider it a Christian thing to do.

(Earlove enlargments don't bother me, I'm just not a fan of them.)

questdriven:

Oh okay.

Anyway I did get some favorable impressions of October Glory when I looked them up recently. They seem to be strong on the testimony side of things. There's not a lot of Web presence with them yet. The musicians are three guys and a woman, I think; maybe it was the guys that have their earlobes enlarged?

(When women do it and go beyond 'the point of no return', they can often not get their conventional earrings in again, anyway.)

Blessings.

That's interesting, and makes me think of my new church. I have such a hard time singing in church. They have very good lyrics which praise God and give voice to Jesus gift to us and every single time I try to sing with them, the Spirit come over me and I start shedding tears. I haven't been able to make it through a whole song yet. It's a little embarrassing. Everyone is praising God and having a good time and I'm standing there losing it crying.

E: Well, worship is more than singing, and it's a heart thing, really.

In John 4 the Lord Jesus says worship is 'in spirit and in truth'.

Blessings.

It did impress upon me the importance of worshiping God in song. More than we may think, I'm sure now.

Back