Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Common Usage?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
chessman,
re: "I was addressing this portion of your OP’s concern: 'who think that the 'heart of the earth' is referring to the tomb'".

But this particular topic is not concerned with what the "heart of the earth" does or doesn't mean. It's only interested in hearing from those who think it is referring to the tomb.

They also ignore the definition of a day clearly expressed and defined in the book of Genesis. A day in Yisraeli time began at 6pm and ended at 6pm, 24 hours later.

Jesus died on that cross, late in the day on Friday and was lain in the Tomb before 6pm, day one. The next day was Shabboth, day two. At 6pm Saturday, the third day began and on that day, the third day, He arose!
Exactly.
ON the third day not AFTER three days.

Allen Wynne,
re: "Okay, but other places it says he rose on the third day, no indication he spent the night there."

That is an issue for a different topic. Perhaps you could start one.
Scripture only once says "3 days and 3 nights" and that was when Jesus was speaking to pharisees and scribes to whom He made it His practice to speak in parables "because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand." (Mat 13:13)
The other 9 times Jesus spoke plainly to his disciples and said "the third day."
"The third day" is repeated twice more at Acts 10:40 and 1Cor 15:4.
Jesus’ statements: Mat 16:21 - Mat 17:23 - Mat 20:19 - Mar 9:31 - Mar 10:34 - Luke 9:22 - Luke 18:33 - Luke 24:7 - Luke 24:46
Luke’s statement: Act 10:40
Paul’s statement: 1Cor 15:4

Jim Parker,

Since you don't try to explain the lack of a third night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language, you probably won't know of any examples.

Jim Parker,

Since you don't try to explain the lack of a third night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language, you probably won't know of any examples.
OoooooKaaaaay......
That doesn't make any sense.
Please clarify what you are trying to tell me.
It is recorded 9 times in scripture that Jesus said He would rise "on the third day." (So: no third night)
Luke and Paul both report that Jesus rose "on the third day. (Also, no 3rd night)

Luke 23:44-45 .. Could God have shortened a day ? He lengthened one for Joshua to get victory .. jus sayin .. John 20:1

Last edited:
Jim Parker,
re: "Please clarify what you are trying to tell me."

The Messiah said that 3 nights would be involved with His time in the "heart of the earth".

A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection would preclude a third night time. Since you don't try to explain the discrepancy by saying that that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language of the period, I assumed you wouldn't have any reason to know of examples from the period to support the idea of commonality.

Jim Parker,
re: "Please see my post #26 in this thread."

And once again, those comments are with regard to a different topic/issue.

And once again, those comments are with regard to a different topic/issue.
I went back to the OP.
Yup. I was on the wrong track giving an answer to the question you did not ask. :confused2
You will probably need a reference (book or books) that describes common Hebrew and Greek idioms found in the New Testament.

Jim Parker,
re: "I went back to the OP. Yup. I was on the wrong track..."

OK, no problem. Someone new looking in may know of examples.

It wasn’t meant to. Nighttime is night time, the time of a day (darkness) within which there’s darkness.
Daytime is the time of a day within which there’s light.
It’s common usage now and then to refer to daytime as a portion of a day. That’s way we all know what’s meant by the usage of daytime versus nighttime. It’s common.

On the otherhand, The phrase “in the belly of the Earth” has no common usage that I am aware of now or in the 1st Century occupied Jewish culture (which is what really matters). People have speculated it meant in the tomb. Maybe, but I doubt it if you actually read Jonah’s prophecy.

I believe Jesus’s distress (1st night) began in the Kidron ravine (that runs from the Temple to the Dead Sea) the 1st night in fulfillment of Jonah’s prophecy whereby Jonah’s distress also began before he ever entered the fish.

So they said to him, “What shall we do to you so that the sea may quiet down for us?” because the sea was growing more and more tempestuous. And he said to them, “Pick me up and hurl me into the sea so that the sea may quiet down for you, because I know that on account of me this great storm has come upon you all.”​
Jonah 1:11-12 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Jonah 1:11-12&version=LEB

⬆️ Clearly a type of Christ’ Distress.

Not that you’ve said there is, but there is no conflict with what Matt 12:40 and aThird Day resurrection if you understand ‘the belly of the Earth’ to begin prior to entering to tomb, at Jesus’s distress that 1st night. If you understand ‘the belly of the Earth’ to be His entombment, there is conflict, IMO.

This has always been my understanding also. What we consider Thursday night, when Jesus was in the garden, Jews considered Friday already. So we'd say Thursday Friday and Saturday nights. Jews would say Friday Saturday Sunday. With crucifixion on the 6th day of the week, Friday.

Razeontheroc,
re: "This has always been my understanding also."

So if you're agreeing with chessman that the "clock"started when the Messiah was taken in the Garden then that would be an issue for a different topic.

Razeontheroc,
re: "This has always been my understanding also."

So if you're agreeing with chessman that the "clock"started when the Messiah was taken in the Garden then that would be an issue for a different topic.

Yup. You don't seem to be getting any takers within the constraints you propose. I'm still not sure anyone even understands what it is you're asking for.

Razeontheroc,
re: " I'm still not sure anyone even understands what it is you're asking for."

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth"

2. There are those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, some of those mentioned above say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I wonder if anyone from above might provide examples to support that belief of commonality; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime and/or no part of the night time could have occurred?

[edited] It seems like you're asking something rather simple: "from the start of the crucifixion to the time of the Resurrection seems like an awfully short three days, and certainly less than 72 hours. How can this be?"

And the answer is not some 'commonality,' but a simple understanding of the Jewish concept of a "day," as illustrated in Genesis 1 and repeated here often.

Jesus was laid in the tomb on Friday. That's one day. He remained there for the entire Sabbath. He was also in the tomb on Sunday, but none of us really knows how much of Sunday He was there. That's three days. More emphatically: "behold, my Servant shall deal prudently." (Isaiah 52:13) Everything about this is "prudent," and it's very much a case of this being your answer and you responding that you want a different answer. This is still your answer anyway.

This precludes the nonsensical part of your question which concludes your previous post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Razeontheroc,

The Messiah said that a 3rd night would be involved with His time in the "heart of the earth". A 6th day of the week burial/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved. How do you account for the lack of a 3rd night?

All inhabitants of the earth will worship the beast--all whose names have not been written in the Lamb's book of life, the Lamb who was slain from the creation of the world.
Revelation 13:8
Time obviously doesn't mean what you think it means to God.

How could Jesus be crucified before the Earth was created?
Days hadn't even been created yet.

Last edited:
Razeontheroc,

The Messiah said that a 3rd night would be involved with His time in the "heart of the earth". A 6th day of the week burial/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved. How do you account for the lack of a 3rd night?
What scriptures are you trying to mske your case with? they must be reconciled to the other scriptures. The jewish method of counting days and nights is explained, using Scripture ar https://answersingenesis.org/jesus-christ/resurrection/three-days-and-nights/

Back