Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Converting people/evangelizing...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hi all, I would've posted this in the "Christian Talk & Advice" forum but I'm not allowed there anymore ;) so I'll post it here...What is it about Christians that make them push their beliefs on other people and try and convert everybody to their way of thinking? I just don't understand. Is this REALLY God's will? Surely these evangelists end up pushing more people away than converting? I do want to be a Christian but I really don't think it's in me to do that stuff...I'd rather just worship God quietly, and pray for Christ to make his presence known, through me, to anyone I come into contact with. Personally, I feel that if things were this way then a lot more people would come to Christianity. Nobody should be forced or scared into believing something. People who use these methods are committing the real sin in my opinion and it upsets me. We are in an age where people are thinking for themselves and aren't interested in hearing the same old things, being told the same old stories etc. People just plain do not want to hear that if they don't follow Jesus they are going to hell, and I have to say I can't blame them. Things need to change...

When the anti christian atheist Howard Storm came back from his after death experience he grabbed his wife and begin to scream in her face that she had to accept Jesus as Savior. What would make a comfirmed atheist suddenly become a raving fanatic for Christ...he saw part of hell. Christians understand by the Spirit the horrible fate of those who die without Christ as Savior.
People are saved when they FEAR what will happen to them if they were to die, that fear is a warning from God, after the fear comes faith in Jesus Christ.

But what about in the many many thousands of years before Christ came?

Could you clarify this question? Are you asking about evangelism (or the lack there of) before Christ? Or are you asking about salvation before Christ? What are you asking with this, in reference to your opening post about Christians?

When the anti christian atheist Howard Storm came back from his after death experience he grabbed his wife and begin to scream in her face that she had to accept Jesus as Savior. What would make a comfirmed atheist suddenly become a raving fanatic for Christ...he saw part of hell. Christians understand by the Spirit the horrible fate of those who die without Christ as Savior.
People are saved when they FEAR what will happen to them if they were to die, that fear is a warning from God, after the fear comes faith in Jesus Christ.

:biglol That is a great post Sam21 :thumbsup!

As for though who lived the thousands of years before the First Coming of Christ Jesus, will Peter wrote of this:
18) For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19) By which also He went and preached unto the spirits in prison:
I Peter 3:18-19
We see that during the time between Jesus' death and resurrection, Jesus went and preached to though, during this time period to which you refer.

I'd rather just worship God quietly, and pray for Christ to make his presence known, through me, to anyone I come into contact with.
I have to ask a question. How can you realize the great gift of being a Christian and only want to worship God quietly? Are you embarrassed by the gospel? God is not personal property to be kept hidden away to ourselves. I understand and appreciate your point though because I’ve asked myself that same question more than once.

Some Christians do tend to be a bit over-zealous for the Lord but if that is the will of the Holy Spirit then who are we to be concerned? We are each given a gift for a purpose. Some are to be apostles, some prophets, some teachers, some miracle workers, some healers, some helpers, and so on but we all make up the one body of Christ. (1 Cor:12) In other words, it takes all kinds. Like you, I am a shy witness and I struggle with open evangelism but I believe God wants me to be a witness and at this point in my spiritual maturity I can best do that by my lifestyle. Let your light shine that others may see it. Don’t hide it under a lampstand. (Matt.:5) Be ready to share the gospel when the Holy Spirit leads someone your way. In the mean time I don’t think we have any reason to judge others’ methods.

I sure am glad the 11 apostles didn't just go home and worship God quietly after Christ was crucified! If they had, no one would even know about Christ and/or Christianity!

Hi all, I would've posted this in the "Christian Talk & Advice" forum but I'm not allowed there anymore ;) so I'll post it here...What is it about Christians that make them push their beliefs on other people and try and convert everybody to their way of thinking? I just don't understand. Is this REALLY God's will? Surely these evangelists end up pushing more people away than converting? I do want to be a Christian but I really don't think it's in me to do that stuff...I'd rather just worship God quietly, and pray for Christ to make his presence known, through me, to anyone I come into contact with. Personally, I feel that if things were this way then a lot more people would come to Christianity. Nobody should be forced or scared into believing something. People who use these methods are committing the real sin in my opinion and it upsets me. We are in an age where people are thinking for themselves and aren't interested in hearing the same old things, being told the same old stories etc. People just plain do not want to hear that if they don't follow Jesus they are going to hell, and I have to say I can't blame them. Things need to change...

Essentials, evangelism is simply showing others what Christianity is in a way that makes the other person see their need for Christ. In your post above you said "I do want to be a Christian but I really don't think it's in me to do that stuff...I'd rather just worship God quietly, and pray for Christ to make his presence known, through me, to anyone I come into contact with." What you are describing as to how you would like to evangelize is the way that most Christians evangelize, so this is no reason for you to stay away from Christianity! The ones you are talking about above, with their screaming hellfire and brimstone, repent or die approach truly are in the minority. (Just in a very vocal and visible minority!) So are even the ones who relatively quietly approach you on the street and won't leave you alone until you listen to what they have to say.

What the evangelists you are talking about have to say may be true (may be, but not necessarily!), but is their style the most effective way to evangelize, or does it drive more people away? I question that as well. For some, it probably is effective, but for others, I just don't know. I tend to agree with you in regards to most of the ones I have seen. But yet, I am still a Christian and do not use my feelings about the tactics of others as a reason not to be a Christian. My spiritual life with God, and the rewards and gifts He gives me are far too important for me to allow that to happen! So if you truly do want to be a Christian, why don't you ask Christ to come into your heart and become a Christian? Christianity needs more folks like yourself that want to be a witness of what God is and does through your life. All Christians are instructed by Jesus to evangelize. ("Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Jesus, Mathew 28:19, NIV]) But if the most effective way for you to do that is to show Christ to people through your life (as I too have found to be the most effective way for me), that is just fine.

So if this is truly your reason for not wanting to be a Christian, it is not a good one! Why should you lose out on all the things God can give you, and lose out on the opportunity to not only be in the service of, but also a son of the God that created us and everything around us, just because you don't like the way some people go about their evangelism? You shouldn't lose out on it!

Thanks for the replies everyone, but especially you Igor-You explained that in a way that makes a lot of sense to me. I'm definately not embarrassed by God, I've just been going through a looooong, sloooooow shift in my life since turning to the light and it's still all really new to me, which is why I get put off when someone tells me I'm going to hell if I don't believe what they do...I just think God wants me to develop at my own pace, ya know?

Thanks for the replies everyone, but especially you Igor-You explained that in a way that makes a lot of sense to me. I'm definately not embarrassed by God, I've just been going through a looooong, sloooooow shift in my life since turning to the light and it's still all really new to me, which is why I get put off when someone tells me I'm going to hell if I don't believe what they do...I just think God wants me to develop at my own pace, ya know?

:thumbsup

We are all at different places in our walk. God doesn't expect us all to be at the same place. He created us all unique, for a special purpose. When an infant is born it does not start out running. Similarly, a new Christian often needs only the milk of the word, and must learn to crawl. As you grow and mature, then you will find your feet. And as you grow and mature, then you will need to eat the meat of the word. But always there will be times when God wants you at different places in your walk. Sometimes he calls us to simply be Mary, sitting at his feet and soaking up his word.

There is nothing wrong with going through a "long, slow shift... since turning to the light." But like an infant, you need to grow. God does not want us to be spiritual infants our entire life. Go ahead and take things at your own pace, but also ask God to help you move at his perfect pace for you. His time is always better than our own time.

Well I seem to have misread your first post. Sorry, but when I read:
I do want to be a Christian but I really don't think it's in me to do that stuff
, I thought you meant you were not a Christian, and just wanted to be one if it were not for the evangelism stuff! Now I see I was embarrassingly wrong.:sad

But I still say the same thing, except for the recommendation to accept Christ. Seems you've already done that!:)

Yes I have Igor, although apparently I view Christianity in a different manner to most (not all) Christians. However, I won't go into that here because in the past it's just caused unnecessary conflict, when this should all be about peace. Above all though, I do believe Jesus is God...

Yes I have Igor, although apparently I view Christianity in a different manner to most (not all) Christians. However, I won't go into that here because in the past it's just caused unnecessary conflict, when this should all be about peace. Above all though, I do believe Jesus is God...

Hi, in Jude 1:22-23 we see two ways that God uses to reach converts to be. We learn by this observation that love & fear are at opposite ends. Note first that God's Born Again [own] do not cause this fear! (ministers) For perfect LOVE CAST OUT FEAR.

OK: ALL come to God by the STRIVING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT if they will??? (Gen. 6:3) Noah preached Christ! Peter called Noah the preacher of Rightousness! Surely there were the outside ones UNDERSTANDING that there was to be a FATAL flood being taught as well! [FEAR].

This STRIVING was on but not in these ones to get them to accept Christ! Love & fear were both present. NOW: When one is preaching TRUTH, [[NEVER]] could or would they preach anything UNTRUTHFUL such as a ETERNAL BURNING HELL! Obad. 1:16 is TRUTH, not a eternal burning hell where even maggots have immortality. And no one but the Godhead have IMMORTALITY! 1 Tim. 1:17 & 1 Tim. 6:16. (all the saved had, & will again have CONDITIONAL Immortality Rev. 22:2-Gen. 3:22-24)

No one can know before hand what are the POSITIVES of Heb. 6:1-5 are, until they have been REBORN AGAIN!

BOTTOM/LINE:
God [allows] for any way.. to befall mankind that is needed for them to come to ACCEPT HIM %100 IF THEY CAN BE REACHED for them TO DO SO. But it is ONLY AFTER THEY YIELD UP MANKINDS STUBBORN WILL THAT THEY ARE RE/BORN with these Traits + LOVE & NOT FEAR.

Some of these professed 'false hell/fire teachers' (Gen. 3:4) ones need to know that when Christ died, he stayed in the GRAVE as He told Mary in John 20:17 And He did not go ANYWHERE!

Yet, when one has had the Born Again Rebirth we find that then the LOVE FOR CHRIST BURNING whithin us, and that we cannot & will not be silent! (Jer. 20:9) And todays ones?? In Luke 22:32 we find that Peter was USELESS UNTILE HE WAS [CONVERTED!] It was then that his True Agape Love was seen. (no more three time denieth) Also of great importance is Peter's OPEN REPENTANCE seen in Matt. 26:75 of weeping bitterly!

These false traits of 'cutting off ears' (false TEACHINGS) were & will BE TOSSED when one KNOWS CHRIST! John 3:3-8 + 2 Cor. 3:3

--Elijah

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back