Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Creation Thoery Model.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Here is an observation:
Sudden appearance - in any local area, a species does not arise gradually by the steady transformation of its ancestors; it appears all at once and 'fully formed'.-Stephen Jay Gould "Evolution's Erratic Pace",Natural History, vol. 86, May 1977

And:
"Since we proposed punctuated equilibria to explain trends, it is infuriating to be quoted again and again by creationists—whether through design or stupidity, I do not know—as admitting that the fossil record includes no transitional forms. Transitional forms are generally lacking at the species level, but they are abundant between larger groups."
--Stephen Jay Gould, Evolution as Fact and Theory, Hen's Teeth and Horse's Toes: Further Reflections in Natural History
My post said nothing whatever about "transitional forms".

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
"Allopatric speciation suggests that species with large central populations are stabilized by their large volume and the process of gene flow. New and even beneficial mutations are diluted by the population's large size and are unable to reach fixation, due to such factors as constantly changing environments.[15] If this is the case, then the transformation of whole lineages should be rare, as the fossil record indicates. Smaller populations on the other hand, which are isolated from the parental stock, are decoupled from the homogenizing effects of gene flow. In addition, pressure from natural selection is especially intense, as peripheral isolated populations exist at the outer edges of ecological tolerance. If most evolution happens in these rare instances of allopatric speciation then evidence of gradual evolution in the fossil record should be rare. This stimulating hypothesis was alluded to by Mayr in the closing paragraph of his 1954 paper (p. 179)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuated_equilibrium

Notice that Gould's point was that gradual, sympatric speciation should be rare, as the evidence shows it is. But notice that it's not absent. It's just not the normal mode. Gould mentions horses, for example. I can show you why it's gradual, with many slight changes over a very long time, if you like.

Gould's made an observation and suggested a conclusion.

He noted that the fossil record is consistent with Mayr's data, and a punctuated equilibrium, with most speciation taking place in small, isolated populations at the edge of the range of the species. So the theory is well-established, because it best fits the evidence.

I think that's a good example of what @StoveBolts was talking about.

Since the observable science supports Gould's theory, most scientists have gone over to it. It is, as we discussed earlier, consistent with Darwinian theory.

Observable science was "Sudden appearance, fully formed"

No. Observable science was "Generally sudden appearance, fully formed." Big difference.

Historical science was Gould's interpretation of that observation

No. It's based on data and observation.

or just as valid suggestion is that's evidence for creation.

For creation, yes. Creationism, no.

That's the creation model, sudden appearance, fully formed.

Barbarian observes:
Remember, the "creation model" includes evolution, since that is how God did it..

In a court of law,

We're not in a court of law. Science is quite a bit more rigorous in terms of evidence. So you're going to have to pull it up a notch or two.

I believe the objection is "assumes facts not in evidence".

Obviously, creation is based on faith, and therefore, "not in evidence." But here, most of us agree that creation is a fact, even if we differ because God didn't say in detail how He did it.

Evolution assumes an origin

Seems like a pretty good assumption. "Life began." But of course, it doesn't assume any particular origin. So, if you want to believe that God did it the way He did, that's fine. Or if you want to take Genesis as a literal history, that works, too. Or whatever.

We can only point out that the evidence shows that the first chapter of Genesis can't be reworked into a literal history.

This is what i believe..

Proverbs 3:19 The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens.

Consistent with evolution.

20 By his knowledge the depths are broken up, and the clouds drop down the dew.

21 My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion:

22 So shall they be life unto thy soul, and grace to thy neck.

23 Then shalt thou walk in thy way safely, and thy foot shall not stumble.

24 When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet.

everything else is smoke and mirrors..

If so, I'm assuming you don't realize that the keyboard you're using is based on science. Not exactly "smoke and mirrors."

fancy titles on a church marque don't impress me nor does a professor/wolf disguised in sheep's clothing

I knew him to be a committed Christian, who lived the faith in his dealings with others and particularly with the unfortunate. He knew, in his faith that Jesus is Lord, and that God created all things. I knew this from our conversations.

But I don't know you. So you can surely see that your argument isn't a very good one for you to advance at this point.

No. Observable science was "Generally sudden appearance, fully formed." Big difference.

The original quote:

The history of most fossil species include two features particularly inconsistent with gradualism: 1) Stasis - most species exhibit no directional change during their tenure on earth. They appear in the fossil record looking much the same as when they disappear;morphological change is usually limited and directionless; 2) Sudden appearance - in any local area, a species does not arise gradually by the steady transformation of its ancestors; it appears all at once and 'fully formed'.-Stephen Jay Gould Harvard professor, paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, historian of science, "Evolution's Erratic Pace",Natural History, vol. 86, May 1977.

In a court of law, I believe the objection is "assumes facts not in evidence". Evolution assumes an origin, it assumes facts not in evidence. Creation is the suggestion supported by the observations.
[MENTION=13142]Sparrowhawke[/MENTION] -"If we downgrade Creation to a level playing field so that it may be judged with the same scale as Man's theory, it too assumes an origin and it too assumes facts not in evidence. I see this as the essential problem, my personal unwillingness to downgrade my esteem for the Word of God. I doubt that many Judges would hold my regard for the "evidential weight" of the Bible to be significant. It is only one man's regard being weighed against the regard and favor of another man."
[MENTION=30546]Barbarian[/MENTION] -"Obviously, creation is based on faith, and therefore, "not in evidence." But here, most of us agree that creation is a fact, even if we differ because God didn't say in detail how He did it."

It wasn't my intention to bring Creation down to a level to be debated as in a court of law, my apologies.

Barbarian observes:
The original quote:

The history of most fossil species include two features particularly inconsistent with gradualism: 1) Stasis - most species exhibit no directional change during their tenure on earth.

So as you see, the exception proves the rule here. There certainly are examples of gradual evolution, but mostly, it's sudden appearance. How can this be? Mayr first proposed an idea, but Eldredge and Gould collected the data to show it was true. Most speciations happen in small, isolated groups, apart from the rest of the species, and because of founder effect and the relatively few individuals, speciation occurs in tens of thousands of years, instead of millions of years.

This is why most scientists have gone over to the idea; it fits the evidence. If Gould is right, we should see exactly what's in the fossil record; a few gradual speciations, and a large number of sudden appearances of species. We should also see a large number of transitionals between major groups, and we do.

I still don't see the word "generally".

Smaller populations on the other hand, which are isolated from the parental stock, are decoupled from the homogenizing effects of gene flow.

I missed this earlier. Generally smaller populations lead to decreased fitness. The reduced genetic diversity means reduced ability to adapt or change. Smaller populations = increased homogenizing.

"Results from this study indicate that inbreeding depression does in fact exacerbate the likelihood of extinction." http://www.sciencemag.org/content/282/5394/1658.short

I thought you saw it before:
Transitional forms are generally lacking at the species level, but they are abundant between larger groups."
--Stephen Jay Gould, Evolution as Fact and Theory, Hen's Teeth and Horse's Toes: Further Reflections in Natural History

I missed this earlier. Generally smaller populations lead to decreased fitness. The reduced genetic diversity means reduced ability to adapt or change. Smaller populations = increased homogenizing.

Yep. It's why we don't have many millions of species. Most probably don't make it, when they go through a bottleneck. But there is, for each species, an optimal level of variation/size for speciation. The lucky ones hit that sweet spot. We did, for example.

For the sake of Clarity, can we please have a creation theory model that can be referenced. I'm asking proponents of Creationism or Creation Science, or Creation Science Evangelism to present a useful theory of what exactly Creationism is.

I don't want to stop the conversation here but wonder if what we are talking about is now even tangential to or touching the OP request.

Back