Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

David Copperfield

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
OK, the flag trick. Now this is just one possible explanation that I came up with. I do not know how close it is, if at all, to the way Dynamo does it. This is just a way it could be done.

First of all, the four volunteers are shills, also called plants. They're all in on the trick. The cameraman is also in. Notice the T-shirt he selects is already off the plant. Transforming the shirt is easy. Dynamo unfurls the flag and simply drops the shirt out of camera view. Voila, instant transformation. You can freeze-frame and actually see the shirt drop.

Believe it or not, the flagpole change is just as easy. Of course, it could just be skillful editing, but I believe there's a physical way to accomplish this, and it's not that hard. Changing the flag to a shirt would take far too long even if you were running one up at the same time you were running the other one down. But dropping a flag is fast. As the trick starts, both a matching T-shirt and the flag are up the pole. The shirt is hidden behind the flag. On queue, the flag is on a breakaway and falls quickly to the ground. This action is obscured by Dynamo's head, and facilitated by some deft camera-handling by the cam-man.

So what we've got here is your basic double-drop, which done quickly looks like a switch. Ridiculously simple.

Gary, you can't be serious. Stage "magic" is not magic, and there is nothing spiritual about it.
It is just entertainment. Given the secrets and enough money to build the sets, any of us could do it.

If you say so. :)

me too Gary... Im with you on this one... I believe it falls under the signs and wonders part of Gods word..
Ok why don't you and Gary explain to us how and why professional tv magicans fall under the "signs and wonders" in the bible.

Ok why don't you and Gary explain to us how and why professional tv magicans fall under the "signs and wonders" in the bible.

I'll take a crack at it. I find myself pretty much agreeing with Gary. I do not think that all stage magic is based on the power of demons, it's all deception and sleight of hand, but if you think about it, that's Satans primary tool also! Here's where the danger of stage magic really is... thinking about the magic and the supposed powers that the magician has in a positive way. This opens doors for the spirits to come into you. Just like playing with a Ouija board. I believe that everything that we speak and do has a corresponding reaction in the spiritual realm.

Like all religions, they're all similar to Christianity but only tweaked a little bit. This does several things for the enemy. One, it adds confusion to the lie because of the similarity, two, it seems to add credibility to the lie because it is couched in the truth. Thirdly, since magic is occultic, it can cast a shadow over Gods power and inhibit a Christians growth and faith by making God seem occultic. Satan is a copycat. All the best lies are couched in the truth. Gods power is real, and anything else is occult.

We're warned about this in scripture. It is written, think on these things, don't think on those things. All things are to be done unto God and His glorification. If a man lusts after a woman in his heart then he is guilty of adultery...

So we're going to be judged by our very thoughts.
What we think and speak...we become, over time... and there you are, leaving the harmless magic show with your 6 year old, and all he can talk about is how cool that was, oh and I want a magic set too Daddy. I want to be a magician! It opens doors to the demonic. Whereas he should really be having the name of the Lord roll off of his lips.

Do "harmless" magic shows give glory to God? Do they even acknowledge God? No. Sometimes you'll see the magician feigning uncertainty, and they may say something like, if the spirits are active or will come...alluding to the fact of they need power to do this or something like that. Nothing about God. Always about the dark side.

Long before video.....

Exo 7:8 And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying,
Exo 7:9 When Pharaoh shall speak unto you, saying, Shew a miracle for you: then thou shalt say unto Aaron, Take thy rod, and cast it before Pharaoh, and it shall become a serpent.
Exo 7:10 And Moses and Aaron went in unto Pharaoh, and they did so as the LORD had commanded: and Aaron cast down his rod before Pharaoh, and before his servants, and it became a serpent.
Exo 7:11 Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments.
Exo 7:12 For they cast down every man his rod, and they became serpents: but Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods.

Do you believe demons exist?
Absolutely, without a doubt, yes. And, in a "Screwtape Letters" way, I believe they, to a very limited extent, can interact in the lives of humans. I am also VERY uncomfortable with Ouija boards; while I think they are a joke - I won't have one in my home.

But 'magic shows' or magicians? As big of a joke as the local palm reader or "psychic". I do not doubt that SOME people dabble in dark, occult stuff - but the likes of David Copperfield? Entertainer. Uri Geller? He's been proven a total fake and fraud.

This is what I like about Penn and Teller - they call "Baloney" on so much of this stuff and even go so far as to show you how these tricks are done.

When the deceiver comes and deceives, and I believe he does at times, it is not "magic shows" he's using to mess with us - it is abortion, 'choice', 'saving the planet' and convincing some to behead or burn alive those who oppose them. He comes to steal, kill and destroy - not amaze you with some trick that involves eating razor blades or other nonsense.

The devil has power just like the Lord does.... and he also mocks God. I don't understand, we believe in Gods power but deny that the devil does use demons for such things. Their are demons conjured up by people to carry out whatever he can to deceive people. It may seem innocent in a magic trick... but I believe it is very possible for him to deceive in this way.

let us not get carried away and become aggravated at one another... we all just believe differently.. and I happen to be with Gary on this one. Blessings

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back