Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

David Copperfield

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
What are you inferring iLOVE
Walking in the Spirit
16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,[c] fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,[d] drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Magic = Sorcery

If one is admiring/being entertained by, the abilities of one they believe is working miracles by the power of satan, yes.

What if there is no admiration or entertainment value for what is being viewed?

Is it still a sin?

If you had been following along, you would know that isn't true. :nono
Nukedkitty posted an interview with Penn Gillette explaining how some performers rely on video editing, which is true. It was not saying ALL tricks are done with editing. They may have meant that, but they didn't say that. Both Pizza and I picked up on the straw man.

At any rate, it looks like we both agree that video editing can not account for all tricks. Fine. But I say there's logical explanations for staged professional magic, not paranormal stuff. There may be performers out there actually using the paranormal, but I dont know of any mainstream magician that does, correct me if there is (and if they are, they should stop, as it's dabbling in the occult, and a big no-no in the Bible).

You are trolling, Gary.
I am interesting in conversation and the exchange of ideas - I am unsure of what you are up to, I will leave it to the moderator(s) of this forum, as is my place.

You are trolling, Gary.
I am interesting in conversation and the exchange of ideas - I am unsure of what you are up to, I will leave it to the moderator(s) of this forum, as is my place.
I must agree with Pizza. You're just posting inciteful things, Gary. And you still haven't addressed my explananation for the shirt trick, which you asked for.

Those of you who really believe that entertainment magic is accomplished with paranormal forces: is that how you think this trick works? Do you think Dave has summoned the help from ghastly demons of the abode and can actually pass his wrists through solid rope?
It's a trick, folks. It's some gimmick of light, shadow, and/or fancy rope-tying. It's harmless entertainment that has a logical technical explanantion, as compelling as it appears.

Last edited:
Walking in the Spirit
16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,[c] fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,[d] drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Magic = Sorcery
Oh iLOVE professional magic acts are not what the bible means by sorcery.

Okay guy's I am home now so what do you all think, is it forbidden for a Christian to view someone like David Copperfield and the others ? I mean they can't do nothing but give a illusion for those big tricks like when Copperfield made a jet vanish 20 something years ago or more. So just because I like seeing him do that stuff, is it okay to do so, or am I to stay clear of all of it. Paul made a very important principal in Romans 14 to whom it is sin to it is sin, and to those who it is not, get the picture. now i am not talking about sin like cheating on your wife or murder, I am talking about illusions here,in my mind I know humans can't make a 747 vanish or walking on water without divine given by God power. So what is the conclusion that you all see ?
As it is written "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" I think that says it all lewis.

Oh yes, I in fact know how Copperfield makes the plane vanish. Nothing supernatural at all. The key is the silhouette of the plane- it's not a real silhouette, but basically a painting on the screens that's only visible when backlit. While the silhouette is visible, there is just enough time for the plane to be wheeled out of view. DC then flips the big switch, front-lighting the screens and making the image disappear. The plane's suddenly gone! He then runs up and drops the screens completely to confirm the plane is indeed missing, with only the people standing there (some of who helped move the plane).

Not supernatural. Just science, timing, and cheesy showmanship.

Last edited:
Okay guy's I am home now so what do you all think, is it forbidden for a Christian to view someone like David Copperfield and the others ? I mean they can't do nothing but give a illusion for those big tricks like when Copperfield made a jet vanish 20 something years ago or more. So just because I like seeing him do that stuff, is it okay to do so, or am I to stay clear of all of it. Paul made a very important principal in Romans 14 to whom it is sin to it is sin, and to those who it is not, get the picture. now i am not talking about sin like cheating on your wife or murder, I am talking about illusions here,in my mind I know humans can't make a 747 vanish or walking on water without divine given by God power. So what is the conclusion that you all see ?

I have a friend that went and saw that, he is not easily fooled, in fact I've never known him to be, but when I asked him about the jet disappearing you could tell he was disturbed, he couldn't explain it, all he said was, "He did it, " and that was the end of the conversation.

Paul tells us to not be ignorant of satan's devices, 2 Cor 2:11, he also teaches us the AC will be manifested with the power (and the word is dunamis) of satan to perform signs and lying wonders, I believe Copperfield and those like him are just an opening act!

:twocents

I don't know if you saw it, but it was a real plane, but okay, let's say it was an illusion, ...how did he walk through the Great Wall of China with live TV cameras on both sides?

I have a friend that went and saw that, he is not easily fooled, in fact I've never known him to be, but when I asked him about the jet disappearing you could tell he was disturbed, he couldn't explain it, all he said was, "He did it, " and that was the end of the conversation.

Paul tells us to not be ignorant of satan's devices, 2 Cor 2:11, he also teaches us the AC will be manifested with the power (and the word is dunamis) of satan to perform signs and lying wonders, I believe Copperfield and those like him are just an opening act!

:twocents
See this kind of thinking is why I left christianity folks.

I don't know if you saw it, but it was a real plane, but okay, let's say it was an illusion, ...how did he walk through the Great Wall of China with live TV cameras on both sides?
The key to that trick was backlit silhouettes also (a Copperfield specialty). Just angles and shadows.

EDIT: OK, I found it. This is the masked magician (Valentino) showing how Copperfield made his big stroll.

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back