Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Do animals go to heaven?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The word used for spirit is also for soul (the seat of the mind, will and emotions). Animals do not have spirits. Their souls die along with their bodies and return to the earth only, and yes, they do not benefit from the resurrection.

According to the Blue Letter Bible (which tends to be one of the more accurate resources that I know of) the word for spirit "ruwach" is not translated as soul and the word for soul is "nephesh" is not translated as spirit. Now, nephesh is translated as soul or life 592 times out of the 753 times that it is used in the OT. And, ruwach, is translated as God's Spirit, spirit, wind, or breath 351 out of the 378 times that it is used in the Hebrew.

There are times when both ruwach (5) and nephesh (15) is translated as the mind, but mind is the only word that these words share a common translation of.

I do not see strong scriptural support for the idea that we can interchange "spirit" and "soul". I guess I'm a trichotomist. I believe that the New Testament bears this out as well in texts such as Hebrews 4:12 and 1 Thessalonians 5:23.

Since Eccl 3:20-21 states that the spirit of animals go "down" to the earth...is there really a reason to say that animals have no spirits? Biblical reasons I mean. I know that pastors have preached that animals don't have spirits or souls, but the scriptures specifically say that they do. I've known pastors, even good ones, who preach more on what is tradition rather than what the Bible actually says.

I'll be the first to admit that is isn't a good idea for someone who doesn't know Hebrew to use a resource like the Blue Letter Bible indiscriminately, so if any our many learned members who do know Hebrew would like to weigh in on this, please, I'd love to hear from you!

Little hamster doesn't like the truth... I'm sorry, little hamster. :shrug Salvation is by faith alone, and you, well... you're a hamster. :shrug

(sorry. this video never gets old)

[video=youtube;y8Kyi0WNg40]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40[/video]

:tongue Actually, the hamster is just dumbstruck at the idea of a human telling him he needs salvation...Little hamster never sinned none!

Wow, Handy, you are so smart. :yes

The only reason I believe animals will go to heaven is because the heart of the Lord testifies this to my heart. He loves and cares so much and so deeply I can't help but think this of Him. :adore

Thanks for giving me a Scriptural understanding :thumbsup

According to the Blue Letter Bible (which tends to be one of the more accurate resources that I know of) the word for spirit "ruwach" is not translated as soul and the word for soul is "nephesh" is not translated as spirit. Now, nephesh is translated as soul or life 592 times out of the 753 times that it is used in the OT. And, ruwach, is translated as God's Spirit, spirit, wind, or breath 351 out of the 378 times that it is used in the Hebrew.

There are times when both ruwach (5) and nephesh (15) is translated as the mind, but mind is the only word that these words share a common translation of.

I do not see strong scriptural support for the idea that we can interchange "spirit" and "soul". I guess I'm a trichotomist. I believe that the New Testament bears this out as well in texts such as Hebrews 4:12 and 1 Thessalonians 5:23.

Since Eccl 3:20-21 states that the spirit of animals go "down" to the earth...is there really a reason to say that animals have no spirits? Biblical reasons I mean. I know that pastors have preached that animals don't have spirits or souls, but the scriptures specifically say that they do. I've known pastors, even good ones, who preach more on what is tradition rather than what the Bible actually says.

I'll be the first to admit that is isn't a good idea for someone who doesn't know Hebrew to use a resource like the Blue Letter Bible indiscriminately, so if any our many learned members who do know Hebrew would like to weigh in on this, please, I'd love to hear from you!

Ruach is used here in Ecclesiastes to reference the spirit or soul as in the breath that is life. It is not referring to the spirit, as they have no spirits. They do have souls, as long as there is a mind in the beast, no matter how simple it is. There are subtle differences between ruach (immaterial part of man), nephesh (life), psyche (soul) and also pneuma (spirit) and we can get all wrapped up in these.

The Hebrew word for soul is nephesh which means literally "life". It is also used for animals (Gen 1:20-24) and man as a whole person (Joshua 2:13, Exodus 21:23). The Hebrew texts denotes the spirit as "ruach" and refers to it as only the immaterial part of man (Num 16:22).

The Difference Between Soul & Spirit - Come Reason Ministries

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, i have a problem with animals in heaven forever!

we are spirits in heaven! and so are the angels.so we have to spiritually ride the horse?

hello

its on earth that we come back to and live!

that must means the dinosaurs all come back.lol

i hope t-rex isnt mighty hungry after those yrs of death.lol

if he is i'm feeding him handy's cat

we are spirits in heaven! and so are the angels.so we have to spiritually ride the horse?

hello

its on earth that we come back to and live!

that must means the dinosaurs all come back.lol

i hope t-rex isnt mighty hungry after those yrs of death.lol

if he is i'm feeding him handy's cat

Silly Jason, t-rexy isn't going to hunger after cats in the new earth, he'll be a vegetarian just like he was created to be in the first place. All animals were created vegetarian and there were no carnivores until after the flood.

I'm not sure if anyone still thinks that we are going to remain in heaven after we die...surely that question has been settled, right?

I think when folks say, "go to heaven when we die" they just mean enjoy eternal life as opposed to eternal punishment. Surely we all realize that the new earth is where we live out our eternal lives.

Alabaster, I don't want to get into a circular arguement about Eccl 3:20-21...."Animals don't have spirits. But, Eccl 3:20-21 says that they do. Well, that just means they have a soul. Why does it mean that when ruwach means spirit? Because animals don't have spirits."

Ruwach is translated as spirit. Nephesh is translated as soul. These are the most common meanings of these words and I've already shown that ruwach is never translated as "soul" and nephesh is never translated as "spirit". When a text like Eccl 3 states that animals have spirits, I think we should take that as meaning that animals have spirits, just as we should take Genesis 1 as meaning that animals have souls, unless there is compelling scriptural reasons for not doing so.

I'm still waiting for scriptural reasons for not doing so.

I realize that most pastors will tell us that animals do not have souls or spirits. But, again, they tend to say this in a circular argument sort of way "Animals do not have souls or spirits. But, according to texts like Eccl 3 and Genesis 1, they do. Yes, but those texts don't mean "soul" or "spirit" when applied to animals. Why not? Because animals don't have souls or spirits."

Again, we know from Genesis that animals were created to live forever, just as man was, because there was no death. Animals were created as vegetarians and there were no carnivores until after the flood. God did not create animals to be eaten, but gave animals to be eaten after the flood. Texts use the same word for "soul" and "spirit" that is applied to both God and men for animals as well.

Is there anyone who can give me some compelling scriptural reason not to believe that the animals were not created with an on-going soul and spirit?

Mike, that hamster isn't sinning. He's just showing some common sense! He realizes that you're a hater, a mean ole cat hater and he understands that if anyone could possibly hate fluffy, adorable cats, he might wind up hating cute little hamsters too! He's just saying to you, "Back off, hater! Keep your distance. I have ninja skills!"

We are NOT spirits in heaven. In the resurrection, we are given bodies just like Jesus has. We will ride on horses with Christ at His return.

Is there anyone who can give me some compelling scriptural reason not to believe that the animals were not created with an on-going soul and spirit?

It is only man who received his spirit by the breath of God at Creation.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are NOT spirits in heaven. In the resurrection, we are given bodies just like Jesus has. We will ride on horses with Christ at His return.

verses on that as last i call jesus is God and omnipresent!

and we live on the earth. How does on eat in heaven? i mean come on that is on the earth not in heaven.

symbols mean alot.

hello the four horsemen are they really men or angels of figures?

i think both. a literary device with meaning of the judgements behind them.

plagues that are represented and to learn more i must study zechariah again closely.
they are first mentioned there as angelic beings who judge if i recall correctly.

Silly Jason, t-rexy isn't going to hunger after cats in the new earth, he'll be a vegetarian just like he was created to be in the first place. All animals were created vegetarian and there were no carnivores until after the flood.

I'm not sure if anyone still thinks that we are going to remain in heaven after we die...surely that question has been settled, right?

I think when folks say, "go to heaven when we die" they just mean enjoy eternal life as opposed to eternal punishment. Surely we all realize that the new earth is where we live out our eternal lives.

Alabaster, I don't want to get into a circular arguement about Eccl 3:20-21...."Animals don't have spirits. But, Eccl 3:20-21 says that they do. Well, that just means they have a soul. Why does it mean that when ruwach means spirit? Because animals don't have spirits."

Ruwach is translated as spirit. Nephesh is translated as soul. These are the most common meanings of these words and I've already shown that ruwach is never translated as "soul" and nephesh is never translated as "spirit". When a text like Eccl 3 states that animals have spirits, I think we should take that as meaning that animals have spirits, just as we should take Genesis 1 as meaning that animals have souls, unless there is compelling scriptural reasons for not doing so.

I'm still waiting for scriptural reasons for not doing so.

I realize that most pastors will tell us that animals do not have souls or spirits. But, again, they tend to say this in a circular argument sort of way "Animals do not have souls or spirits. But, according to texts like Eccl 3 and Genesis 1, they do. Yes, but those texts don't mean "soul" or "spirit" when applied to animals. Why not? Because animals don't have souls or spirits."

Again, we know from Genesis that animals were created to live forever, just as man was, because there was no death. Animals were created as vegetarians and there were no carnivores until after the flood. God did not create animals to be eaten, but gave animals to be eaten after the flood. Texts use the same word for "soul" and "spirit" that is applied to both God and men for animals as well.

Mike, that hamster isn't sinning. He's just showing some common sense! He realizes that you're a hater, a mean ole cat hater and he understands that if anyone could possibly hate fluffy, adorable cats, he might wind up hating cute little hamsters too! He's just saying to you, "Back off, hater! Keep your distance. I have ninja skills!"

psalm 90 and matthew 5:5 say this.

the meek inherent the earth!

meaning that when its done we will be on this earth see revalation 20. the city of new jerusalem descends to the earth.

and i know all animals will be herbavores and was joking.

psalm 90 and matthew 5:5 say this.

the meek inherent the earth!

meaning that when its done we will be on this earth see revalation 20. the city of new jerusalem descends to the earth.

and i know all animals will be herbavores and was joking.

Exactly.

It is only man who received his spirit by the breath of God at Creation.

I quite agree that it was only man who received his spirit by the breath of God at creation. No arguments there. Only man was created in the image of God.

What I don't understand is why we take this fact and extrapolate it out to say that animals do not have an on-going soul and spirit. They were created to have eternal life as well. Until the Fall, no animals died.

Let me ask this, if Adam had not ate of the fruit, and if the Fall never occurred, would the animals that had been created on the 6th day still be alive?

Animals better go to heaven otherwise I'm having a few choice words to God when/if I get there . I'm dieing to meet my best mate(dog) again.

Anyhow I reckon they get a free pass because they don't understand sin the way we do.

God wouldnt let us get so attached to our animals if we weren't going to see them again after all he is a kind loving god isnt he.

Animals better go to heaven otherwise I'm having a few choice words to God when/if I get there . I'm dieing to meet my best mate(dog) again.

Really? You'd have some choice words for God? Oh! You're joking... :)

God wouldnt let us get so attached to our animals if we weren't going to see them again after all he is a kind loving god isnt he.

Lean not on your own feelings but on scripture, which obviously doesn't make a definitive statement on the matter but can lead to a better understanding than our feelings or instinct.

Yeah, you gotta be careful of going by feelings Casper...believe me, there are plenty of things that we get seriously attached to, downright love even, that will not be a part of the new earth.

As Mike says, there is no definite statement in the Bible on this matter, but a good study on the matter, studied with an open mind, certainly led me to believe that our beloved pets will rise up as well.

As Mike says, there is no definite statement in the Bible on this matter, but a good study on the matter, studied with an open mind, certainly led me to believe that our beloved pets will rise up as well.

Like I said, it can lead to a better understanding - not will. ;) :rolling

Mike.

Mike, Mike, Mike....:shame
I'm just kidding, sis. :lol I believe that there will be animals. Just don't believe ones here will be resurrected. I hope I'm wrong, cause I have some I'd like to see again.

In all my hi-jinks and hilarity, I don't want to be thought a hater!

I quite agree that it was only man who received his spirit by the breath of God at creation. No arguments there. Only man was created in the image of God.

What I don't understand is why we take this fact and extrapolate it out to say that animals do not have an on-going soul and spirit. They were created to have eternal life as well. Until the Fall, no animals died.

Let me ask this, if Adam had not ate of the fruit, and if the Fall never occurred, would the animals that had been created on the 6th day still be alive?

No, because what is on Earth is a mirror or shadow image of what is ALREADY in heaven. Heaven comes to Earth in the end. Animals have souls but not spirits where the Holy Spirt takes up residence. There is no need---they do not sin, or are part of God's redemptive plan. It's all about man.

Back