Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Do We Need to Keep the Sabbath (The LORD's Day) Holy?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Jesus kept the law and warn us on how God feel about people who break his law - “ Whosoever therefore shall break one of the least of these commandments and shall teach men to do so, shall be called the LEAST in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven†– (Matthew 5:19).
In our pursuit to change God’s law (Daniel 7:25) we ignore the warning of Jesus. Was Paul contradicting Jesus in Colossians 2:14-17?

In Colossians 14 Paul refers to the Sabbaths which were “a shadow of things to come†and not the royal Sabbath. There were seven holy days in ancient Israel; they were also called Sabbaths. These sabbaths were in addition to, or “beside the Sabbaths of the Lord†(Leviticus 23:38). They foreshadowed, or point to the cross and end at the cross. The Seventh-day Sabbath was instituted before sin entered the world, and therefore could not foreshadow the deliverance of sin.
Did God give man a burden he can not bear? What kind of God do we serve? Is our God fair? Did God tell Israel to keep a law he knew they couldn’t keep and then punished them even with death when they break the law?

Jesus the Messiah was once asked, "Master, which is the great commandment in the law?â€

Jesus said unto him, “You shall love your God with all your heart, and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, you shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets†(Matthew 22:36-40).

Jesus here quoted the Old Testament to explain the basis for the Ten Commandments: to love God and to love our fellow human beings. The Ten Commandments show how to do this. As Paul summed it up: "Love is the fulfilling of the law," Romans 13:10.
The first four commandments show how to love the Father in Heaven. If you love Him you will have no other god and take part in no idolatrous worship, and you will honor His Name and remember His Sabbath day to keep it holy. The last six commandments show how to love our fellow human beings.

For man, there is no love outside of the law. Only God can love outside of the law because he is the lawgiver.

The Holy Spirit does not exempt us from keeping the law, he enables us – “For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the LAW of God, nor in deed can be†(Roman 8:6-7).
Did Jesus break the law? Are Christians not supposed to follow Jesus? Did Jesus lie to us when he told us to obey the law of our creator? Are we anti-Christ (i.e., are we in opposition to Jesus)?

The Most High told us, in Isaiah 66: 22-23, that the Sabbath will be kept in tthe new earth. If the Sabbath will be kept in the new earth it also will be kept in heaven - "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." God himself kept the Sabbath.

The Sabbath day pertains to --rest

Since we are in his rest, we are in his rest every single day = Seven days a week -- 365 days a year

"THEREFORE, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.There remain therefore a rest for the people of God. For he who entered HIS rest has himself ceased from his work as God did from His." Hebrew 4:1,9,10).

What rest are you in?

change said:
Jesus kept the law and warn us on how God feel about people who break his law - “ Whosoever therefore shall break one of the least of these commandments and shall teach men to do so, shall be called the LEAST in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven†– (Matthew 5:19).
In our pursuit to change God’s law (Daniel 7:25) we ignore the warning of Jesus. Was Paul contradicting Jesus in Colossians 2:14-17?

In Colossians 14 Paul refers to the Sabbaths which were “a shadow of things to come†and not the royal Sabbath. There were seven holy days in ancient Israel; they were also called Sabbaths. These sabbaths were in addition to, or “beside the Sabbaths of the Lord†(Leviticus 23:38). They foreshadowed, or point to the cross and end at the cross. The Seventh-day Sabbath was instituted before sin entered the world, and therefore could not foreshadow the deliverance of sin.
Did God give man a burden he can not bear? What kind of God do we serve? Is our God fair? Did God tell Israel to keep a law he knew they couldn’t keep and then punished them even with death when they break the law?

Jesus the Messiah was once asked, "Master, which is the great commandment in the law?â€

Jesus said unto him, “You shall love your God with all your heart, and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, you shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets†(Matthew 22:36-40).

Jesus here quoted the Old Testament to explain the basis for the Ten Commandments: to love God and to love our fellow human beings. The Ten Commandments show how to do this. As Paul summed it up: "Love is the fulfilling of the law," Romans 13:10.
The first four commandments show how to love the Father in Heaven. If you love Him you will have no other god and take part in no idolatrous worship, and you will honor His Name and remember His Sabbath day to keep it holy. The last six commandments show how to love our fellow human beings.

For man, there is no love outside of the law. Only God can love outside of the law because he is the lawgiver.

The Holy Spirit does not exempt us from keeping the law, he enables us – “For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the LAW of God, nor in deed can be†(Roman 8:6-7).
Did Jesus break the law? Are Christians not supposed to follow Jesus? Did Jesus lie to us when he told us to obey the law of our creator? Are we anti-Christ (i.e., are we in opposition to Jesus)?

The Most High told us, in Isaiah 66: 22-23, that the Sabbath will be kept in tthe new earth. If the Sabbath will be kept in the new earth it also will be kept in heaven - "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." God himself kept the Sabbath.

Jesus Christ came to complete a redemptive work by restoring the rest that was lost in the Garden.
John 4:34 said:
Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work
John 5:36 said:
But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.
He completed that work on the cross.
John 17:4 said:
I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.
John 19:30 said:
When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."
Leading again to divine rest.
Hebrews 10:11-12 said:
And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
The Sabbath was a sign that pointed to something greater. Like much of the Old Testament, the Sabbath pointed to Jesus Christ. The Old Testament Sabbath preached the gospel when it called for faith and a cessation of work.
Romans 4:4-5 said:
Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
Isaiah 66: 22-23 is not speaking of heaven or the new earth...lest the Levitical priesthood would needs be restored also. It's simply a chapter that's often used in error.

change said:
"THEREFORE, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.There remain therefore a rest for the people of God. For he who entered HIS rest has himself ceased from his work as God did from His." Hebrew 4:1,9,10).

What rest are you in?
We rest from our own works, and rest in Jesus Christ who accomplished all at the cross.
Matt. 11:28-30 said:
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Hebrews 4:10 said:
For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

“There still remains therefore a rest for the people of God†– Hebrew 4:9.

“The people of God†must be people who follow Jesus. If you are following Jesus (resting in Jesus), why is there a rest remaining for you?

God swore that ancient Israel would not enter into his rest – (Hebrew 3:8-11). What rest was he talking about? – The land of Canaan was that rest. The journey of the Israelites is synonymous to our journey. The only difference is that the rest for spiritual Israel is with Jesus in the new earth.

Jesus expected people to keep the Sabbath almost 40 years after his death and resurrection. Jesus warned his followers of the pending destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans. The destruction of Jerusalem took place in 70 AD (some 30-add years after Jesus’ resurrection), but Jesus told his followers to pray that their “flight be not on the Sabbath day.†(Matthew 24 :20)

WHY????

change said:
“There still remains therefore a rest for the people of God†– Hebrew 4:9.

“The people of God†must be people who follow Jesus. If you are following Jesus (resting in Jesus), why is there a rest remaining for you?

God swore that ancient Israel would not enter into his rest – (Hebrew 3:8-11). What rest was he talking about? – The land of Canaan was that rest. The journey of the Israelites is synonymous to our journey. The only difference is that the rest for spiritual Israel is with Jesus in the new earth.

Jesus expected people to keep the Sabbath almost 40 years after his death and resurrection. Jesus warned his followers of the pending destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans. The destruction of Jerusalem took place in 70 AD (some 30-add years after Jesus’ resurrection), but Jesus told his followers to pray that their “flight be not on the Sabbath day.†(Matthew 24 :20)

WHY????
It's simple...because you took the verse out of it's context.
Read it very carefully...discern the past from the present.
"He that is entered into His rest"...has ceased from his own works.
Eph. 2:Ephesians 2:8-9 said:
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Heb. 4: 3-11 said:
For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. For if Joshua had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
And what is this "another day" that was spoken of?
The day of our salvation is that other day...the day of salvation when we enter into His rest.
Luke 19:9 said:
And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.

2 Corinthians 6:2 said:
(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

It's simple...because you took the verse out of it's context.
Read it very carefully...discern the past from the present.
"He that is entered into His rest"...has ceased from his own works.
Eph. 2:Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

The Sabbath is symbolic of a physical and a spiritual rest. "Faith without work is dead" (James 2:20). "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 2:5). Being saved does not exempt us from obeying God commandments. Only through the Holy Spirit are we able to rest in Christ (let Christ live through us). If Christ is living through us we would do the things Christ do - like keeping God's law. (Romans 8:5-10). Aren't Christians supposed to follow Jesus?

Heb. 4: 3-11 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. For if Joshua had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

God was grieved with ancient Israel because of their disobedience to his law. He was grieved with them for forty years. Many did not enter his rest (Canaan).

And what is this "another day" that was spoken of?
The day of our salvation is that other day...the day of salvation when we enter into His rest.
[quote:24665yf8]
Luke 19:9 said:
And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.
[/quote:24665yf8]

Salvation is offered to sinners. "Sin is the transgression of the law" (1 John 3:4), but no sinners will inherit everlasting life.

WHY??? didn't you attempt to interpret Matthew 24:20?

change said:
Salvation is offered to sinners. "Sin is the transgression of the law" (1 John 3:4), but no sinners will inherit everlasting life.

WHY??? didn't you attempt to interpret Matthew 24:20?

Salvation is offered to sinners...not based on their keeping of the commandments but by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. We are made righteous through Christ's obedience...not our own. His righteousness has been imputed unto us.

Jesus was asked three questions...He answered them, but not all in accordance with what was asked. He wasn't willing to give them all the informations they were requesting about the end of the age...they didn't understand any of that. He was giving them a near, and a far response. He was speaking of the destruction which occurred in A.D. 70. Jewish Christians in Jerusalem, who still kept the Law of Moses, would be caught up in these events and have to flee.
Acts 21:20-21 said:
And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law: And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs.
They would have to deal with their belief about the Sabbath regulations, if circumstances demanded a flight on that day.

Salvation is offered to sinners...not based on their keeping of the commandments but by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. We are made righteous through Christ's obedience...not our own. His righteousness has been imputed unto us.

Does faith exempt us from keeping the laws of God? “By the deeds of the law shall no flesh be justified in his sight†(Romans 3:20) No one can be saved by keeping the law. Salvation comes only through grace (an undeserved favor), a free gift from God through Christ. we receive this gift by faith, not by works (Ephesians 2: 8,9) The law only serves as a mirror to point out sins in our lives. Cleansing and forgiveness from sins come only through Christ.

“For sin (breaking God’s law – 1 John 3:4) shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin (break God’s law), because we are not under the law, but under grace? GOD FORBID†(Roman 6:14,15). “Do we then make void the law through faith? GOD FORBID: yea we establish the law†(Roman 3:31).

Should we disobey God because grace abound?

change said:

Does faith exempt us from keeping the laws of God? “By the deeds of the law shall no flesh be justified in his sight†(Romans 3:20) No one can be saved by keeping the law. Salvation comes only through grace (an undeserved favor), a free gift from God through Christ. we receive this gift by faith, not by works (Ephesians 2: 8,9) The law only serves as a mirror to point out sins in our lives. Cleansing and forgiveness from sins come only through Christ.

“For sin (breaking God’s law – 1 John 3:4) shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin (break God’s law), because we are not under the law, but under grace? GOD FORBID†(Roman 6:14,15). “Do we then make void the law through faith? GOD FORBID: yea we establish the law†(Roman 3:31).

The nice thing about having a circumcised heart is that our desire is to please our Lord in all things.
He put that desire there. Now we have hearts of flesh instead of stone. No one who is a new creature sins so that grace may abound. Paul was asking a question, not stating a fact. He was addressing the skeptics who were professing a faith they didn't have. A "what if" question to prove a point.

The nice thing about having a circumcised heart is that our desire is to please our Lord in all things.He put that desire there. Now we have hearts of flesh instead of stone. No one who is a new creature sins so that grace may abound. Paul was asking a question, not stating a fact. He was addressing the skeptics who were professing a faith they didn't have. A "what if" question to prove a point.

Paul poses a rhetorical question - A statement posed for its persuasive effect without the expectation of an answer. Rhetorical questions encourage the listeners to think about the subject of the discussion.

In the new covenant the law of God should be written in our "circumcised hearts." (Hebrew 10:16)

Should we disobey God's law because grace abound?

change said:

[quote:i6j4xa0j]The nice thing about having a circumcised heart is that our desire is to please our Lord in all things.He put that desire there. Now we have hearts of flesh instead of stone. No one who is a new creature sins so that grace may abound. Paul was asking a question, not stating a fact. He was addressing the skeptics who were professing a faith they didn't have. A "what if" question to prove a point.

Paul poses a rhetorical question - A statement posed for its persuasive effect without the expectation of an answer. Rhetorical questions encourage the listeners to think about the subject of the discussion.

In the new covenant the law of God should be written in our "circumcised hearts." (Hebrew 10:16)

Should we disobey God's law because grace abound?[/quote:i6j4xa0j]
We obey the voice of the Lord who resides in us. You are speaking of the commandments and the law. I am speaking of being born of the Spirit and being led by the Spirit. Abraham did not have the "commandments"....he obeyed the voice of the Lord and His commands and the eternal law of God that is written on our conscience. Therein lies the difference. We no longer have a list of rules and regulations, we have the Holy Spirit directing and guiding us. We have a voice that says "whoa" or "go". We have a personal relationship that goes beyond what is required under the law. We are empowered to obey His voice, and we are filled with the love of God that we then show forth in the form of the fruit of the Spirit. We have liberty not bondage. God also instills in us a godly fear as a Father does. We are hardly free to walk in sin or disobey because we are sons and the Lord chastens those who are His.

Are you Abraham? Did the Spirit of God tell you not to keep his commandments? Obeying God's commandments is bondage? WOW!!!

change said:

Hi Change

Do you have any idea what establishing the law means ?

The two commandmenst to love, establishes all the law and the prophets. We no longer "do" the law of Moses. WE now are under the law of liberty. And the law of liberty is not based upon the bondage of the law of Moses. There is no bondage in Love. But there is bondage in doing the law of Moses !

change said:
Are you Abraham? Did the Spirit of God tell you not to keep his commandments? Obeying God's commandments is bondage? WOW!!!
No, I'm not Abraham, but I'm a child of Abraham, and like him, I listen to the voice of the Lord, for His law is written on my heart not on tablets of stone. And since I believe the Bible, I would have to say, YES, the stone law was bondage.

Like sabbaths, new moons and holy days....those "weak and beggarly elements".
Gal. 4:9-10 said:
But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.
The covenant from Sinai which "gendereth to bondage"...
Gal. 4: 21-26 said:
Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
Christ has freed us from the bondage of the law...
Gal. 5:1 said:
Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Therefore, we're led by the Spirit that indwells the children of the free woman...and are not under the law.
Gal. 5:18 said:
But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

change said:
Hey mysteryman what is sin?

If there is no law there is no judgement.

That's right....believers do not come under condemnation. :thumb
John 5:24 said:
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Romans 8:1 said:
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Of course the unsaved are still under the law.

change said:
Can you quote which scriptures Paul used to make it clear that the ten commandment is retired.
There are several texts. Here is one that is quite clear and definitive (from Ephesians 2):

14For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations.

What is the Law? Clearly the Law of Moses. And are the 10 commandments part of the Law of Moses. Yes they are. Paul is clearly asserting that the Law of Moses has been abolished. And the Law of Moses includes the 10 commandments.

change said:
If the law is retired Christ is retired. 'sin is the transgression of the law'; Christ died for our sins.
Not quite. I am not sure where you get this text. I am aware of a text that asserts that "sin is lawlessness". Fair enough, but saying "sin is lawlessness" is not at all inconsistent with the claim that a particular law - in this case the Law of Moses (including the 10 commandments) - has been retired.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back