Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Do you know for sure you are saved?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Do you know for sure you are saved?

Yes, I do, by Faith ! For Faith is Heb 11:1

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

But that does not mean you can know for sure that I am saved. But if God has saved you, you too will by Faith know for sure that you are saved !

How does having free will allow one to loose or even gain salvation? What is the nature of our free will?

I don't understand the question. Are you asking for the Catholic definition of "Free Will"? If so, this one is adequate:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06259a.htm

I really don't know how anyone can look at the verses I posted and deny that salvation is a process and that implicit in this doctrine is free will. How can Paul say we must "work out" our salvation without implying free will?

I don't understand the question. Are you asking for the Catholic definition of "Free Will"? If so, this one is adequate:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06259a.htm

I really don't know how anyone can look at the verses I posted and deny that salvation is a process and that implicit in this doctrine is free will. How can Paul say we must "work out" our salvation without implying free will?

I'd rather hear what you think. It's kind of a two part question, but pick either one, or both.

1. How does having free will allow one to loose or even gain salvation?
2. What is the nature of our free will?

I'd rather hear what you think. It's kind of a two part question, but pick either one, or both.

1. How does having free will allow one to loose or even gain salvation?
2. What is the nature of our free will?

God gives us free will, which allows us to make choices that effect our salvation. If we ALLOW GOD to change us into Saints, we are ultimately saved. If we DENY GOD'S Grace, we are damned. It is part of our human nature.

God is constantly trying to draw us closer to Him and the nature of our free will is essentially to push God away, this is what we are allowed to do. Of course, our conscience comes into play as this is how God "speaks" to us.

I'd like to hear how you interpret the verses I posted as well. If salvation is once for all, in what context are we "being saved" or working out our salvation?

Last edited by a moderator:
God gives us free will, which allows us to make choices that effect our salvation. If we ALLOW GOD to change us into Saints, we are ultimately saved. If we DENY GOD'S Grace, we are damned. It is part of our human nature.

God is constantly trying to draw us closer to Him and the nature of our free will is essentially to push God away, this is what we are allowed to do. Of course, our conscience comes into play as this is how God "speaks" to us.

I'd like to hear how you interpret the verses I posted as well. If salvation is once for all, in what context are we "being saved" or working out our salvation?

Sure. I'll start with the verse you asked of me to speak on. I'm adding 13 as well,

Philippians 2
New International Version (NIV)
12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

"Work out your salvation", work it out to the finish, is not an attempt to earn ones's salvation by works, but to the expression of ones salvation in spiritual growth. In other words, grow in what has been given, not grow to receive it, or "work" for it first.

This dose not negate the fact that this growth is an ongoing process in which the believer is involved. It is, but not the obtaining of what is already given, rather the growth in what is already. I apply this same thought to the term, 'being saved" as to mean the same.

Free will on the other hand I have a different take on. I have expressed this today in my thread "No one actually makes choices.", but I'll spare you going there and re-post the gist of it here.
http://www.christianforums.net/showthread.php?t=43950&page=5

For many free will is the ability to choose freely, but with that most people tend to include the idea of change with the notion of choice.

It's only natural. I can chose A then I can changed my mind, and chose B. I have options and the possibilities are endless. This is to suggest that a choice made will alter the corse of a given direction in the way we choose it to be by our own will.

I know what your asking; So do you believe we have choices or not Danus?! ....... Yes. I do, but not in the way some of you might think of choices.

Choice and change are not synonymous to the will of man. They may seem to be, but the fact is, no one makes a choice they where not already inclined to make to begin with.

RC Sproul once commented about a time when he held a lecture on the topic of predestination at his church. He noticed a man there who he'd had several debates with on the topic of free will. He walked up to greet the man saying; "Hey glad you came! I am surprised to see you here." The man said to him; "well, I didn't want to come, but my wife made me." To which RC replied; "Made you? She did not make you. You chose to come because you did not want to upset your wife. This was your inclination, and by your own free will to do so, but not your choice."

Free will, to make choices does not mean we can or will, choose anything given the options of a choice, ie this or that. In fact, man does not really choose freely at all, because we are limited not by outside forces, but we are limited by our own self more than anything else.

RC Spoul put's it this way; "One of the most important limits on my freedom is myself. If we examine the workings of the will closely we run into a point of irony that is often overlooked in discussions about free will. The point is this: Not only may I choose what I want, I must choose what I want if my choice is really to be free. Choice is made according to desire. Without desire there could be no free choice—certainly no moral choice."

Think deeply about this.

In order for free will, or free choice, to be free, I must choose what I want.

Think about it; No one chooses what they don't want and calls it a free choice, by free will.

If someone tells you that you can choose Option A or option B, but you can't choose B, or you should not choose B, because that's just the wrong choice, or an end, and the only right option is A, but you want B ....that's not free will if you choose A because your afraid of what you really want.

Yet. this is pretty much the "free will argument" in Christianity among mankind. Has been for a long time. In fact, we have institutionalized this very ironic way of thinking about God, salvation, and what's best for all....for a long, long time.

" I must choose what I want if my choice is really to be free." This is absolute undeniable truth.

No one chooses what they do not desire, because if they did then they would not be choosing freely by their own will to freely choose. They would be forced, of pushed into making a choice that is not their own. In this since no one has option A or B because they already have an inclination freely to one of those. There is no choice beyond the will to choose, unless the will is changed.

If the will of man is sinful by nature he will chose according to his own will, sin. The only way he will choose righteousness is if his will is changed. If he has the power to change his will freely, then he does not need God, but is he does not have the power to change his will freely, then he does need God. The bible tells us that God is the one who initiates change.

People often think that "Calvinist" believe that there are two sets of Christians who both believe in Christ, but only one is going to haven because they are chosen elect, and the other is not.

This is not the case of Calvin, or reformed theology. All who believe are elect in Christ. But the reason I think many non-Calvinist think this is what Calvin was saying is because they fail to see the definition of free will in the way Calvin understood it, which is to say that because man's nature is sinful by nature, his desires are limited to his own self, and he will choose what he wants in order to choose freely, and because of this, he really has no choice but that which he is inclined to freely choose.

This is both liberating and disturbing. Depends on how you see your own choices in life, because if you choose God, then you chose him freely, and if you chose him freely you did so with a desire to choose him, and if you have a desire for God, it is because God has a desire for you by his choice and not our own, because a sinful nature does not choose God. A sinful nature has to first be inclined not to be what it is.

People will sometimes ask me why I refer to myself as a sinner, or a saved sinner. Easy, I could never choose God. I tried, but never could, and so I choose the only thing I was inclined to choose, just as so many others in this life do.

How liberating it was to not be shackled by rules of right and wrong when I was an atheist I never looked back. Right and wrong where what ever I said they where. But little did I know of the prison I was building my own prison.

Look around. there are plenty of people who do not choose God, and nothing you say to them will make a difference if they do not have a desire to do so. people will freely choose what they are inclined to choose.

I am not an atheist today. I follow Christ and have been for more than 20 years. This was not my choice, but because I had run out of choices on my own, God chose me. That is salvation and I now choose what I am inclined to choose. I do not choose what I do not want, but that does not mean I'm not a sinner still. I still have an old nature until I am perfected.

Romans 7:15-24

15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?

Sure. I'll start with the verse you asked of me to speak on. I'm adding 13 as well,

Philippians 2
12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

"Work out your salvation", work it out to the finish, is not an attempt to earn ones's salvation by works,

Never said that...

but to the expression of ones salvation in spiritual growth. In other words, grow in what has been given, not grow to receive it, or "work" for it first.

"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,"

What Paul wants his readers to "continue" in is obedience. He is drawing a direct link between obeying and salvation. That has always been my contention, that if we don't CONTINUE to obey, we will lose our salvation. AGAIN, I have never said, nor believed, we are WORKING to be saved.

This dose not negate the fact that this growth is an ongoing process in which the believer is involved.

Right...

It is, but not the obtaining of what is already given, rather the growth in what is already.

Do you mean that obeying the doctrine that was already given rather than new?

I apply this same thought to the term, 'being saved" as to mean the same.

I don't see how, "are being saved" can only be interpreted as something ONGOING, a process. Those verses don't make any reference to obedience or faith, only that salvation is a process and it is NORMATIVE (Paul even includes himself within the group that "are being saved"). These verses are said in passing, without any doctrinal backing or argumentation. That really speaks volumes about how doctrinally common ongoing salvation, or salvation as a process, was.

Never said that...

"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,"

What Paul wants his readers to "continue" in is obedience. He is drawing a direct link between obeying and salvation. That has always been my contention, that if we don't CONTINUE to obey, we will lose our salvation. AGAIN, I have never said, nor believed, we are WORKING to be saved.

Right...

Do you mean that obeying the doctrine that was already given rather than new?

I don't see how, "are being saved" can only be interpreted as something ONGOING, a process. Those verses don't make any reference to obedience or faith, only that salvation is a process and it is NORMATIVE (Paul even includes himself within the group that "are being saved"). These verses are said in passing, without any doctrinal backing or argumentation. That really speaks volumes about how doctrinally common ongoing salvation, or salvation as a process, was.

To your first reply, no I said that.

Goodness I have too many threads going. You asked; "Do you mean that obeying the doctrine that was already given rather than new?" You asked this to my reply "This dose not negate the fact that this growth is an ongoing process in which the believer is involved. It is, but not the obtaining of what is already given, rather the growth in what is already. I apply this same thought to the term, 'being saved" as to mean the same. " I mean salvation, as already obtained.

You stated; "I don't see how, "are being saved" can only be interpreted as something ONGOING, a process." .....ok take a look at that and re-word it because I agree as you have stated. I think you mean you don't see how it can mean anything other than, an on going process. That's because you believe it is an ongoing process. I'm saying it's not. Your saved then you grow in your salvation.

Your going to ask me next to prove this. I'll try, but ask me first. :)

To your first reply, no I said that.

Goodness I have too many threads going. You asked; "Do you mean that obeying the doctrine that was already given rather than new?" You asked this to my reply "This dose not negate the fact that this growth is an ongoing process in which the believer is involved. It is, but not the obtaining of what is already given, rather the growth in what is already. I apply this same thought to the term, 'being saved" as to mean the same. " I mean salvation, as already obtained.

Obeying salvation already obtained? The only thing Paul is talking about here is obedience:

12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed,,,, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
14 Do all things without grumbling or questioning, 15 that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. 17 Even if I am to be poured as a libation upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. 18 Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me."

If salvation is "already obtained" and can never be lost, how in the world can Paul say he is in the process of "being saved"? Your contention is that salvation has already happened for Paul and can never be lost. He begs to differ. There is no possible way to force sense into this notion.

Again, this is said simply in passing. No great theological treatises, no argumentation. Just "are being saved", a process.

"For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." (1Cor. 1:18)

"For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, 16 to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life." (2Cor. 2:15-16)

You stated; "I don't see how, "are being saved" can only be interpreted as something ONGOING, a process." .....ok take a look at that and re-word it because I agree as you have stated.
You stated: "I apply this same thought to the term, 'being saved" as to mean the same."

I responded: "I don't see how, [COMMA, note the COMMA] "are being saved" can only be interpreted as something ONGOING, a process."

I can rephrase so you don't think I have done a complete 180 on my view in one sentence.

I don't see how you can think "are being saved" means to "grow in what has already been given". It ("are being saved") can only be interpreted as something ONGOING, a process."

Is that better?

I think you mean you don't see how it can mean anything other than, an on going process.
That would be a good guess, since I've been saying only that for about 5 posts.

That's because you believe it is an ongoing process. I'm saying it's not. Your saved then you grow in your salvation.
No, that's because the words "ARE BEING SAVED" can only mean an ongoing process. Where does Paul say "I am growing in my already obtained salvation" here? That's not what the words mean. Please...

No, that's because the words "ARE BEING SAVED" can only mean an ongoing process. Where does Paul say "I am growing in my already obtained salvation" here? That's not what the words mean. Please...

So do you know you for sure you are saved?

Didn't I already answer this and get lumped in with non-believers? Are we done discussing Scripture now?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Not really. You never actually answered. Let me ask this question, are you satisfied with your answer to the question do you know you are saved? What's your answer and are you OK with it?

Not really. You never actually answered.

Yes I did. Post 14:

No, because salvation is a process, not a one time event and we have free will.

"For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." (1Cor. 1:18)

"For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, 16 to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life." (2Cor. 2:15-16)

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure." (Phil. 2:12-13)

"Since, therefore, we are now justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. 10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life." (Rom. 5:9-10)
Let me ask this question, are you satisfied with your answer to the question do you know you are saved?
The question was "Do you know for sure you are saved". Yes, I am satisfied with my answer. The only way my answer would be changed is if I misinterpreted your meaning of the word "saved". I assumed you meant "from this moment forward, no matter what, I will be spending eternity in Heaven". The answer to that is a resounding "No, I don't know for sure", and to answer any other way is presumptuous at best.

Are you satisfied with your interpretation of the verses I posted? Are you satisfied that "are being saved" is interpreted as growth "in what has been given" (e.g. Faith)?

Yes I did. Post 14:

The question was "Do you know for sure you are saved". Yes, I am satisfied with my answer. The only way my answer would be changed is if I misinterpreted your meaning of the word "saved". I assumed you meant "from this moment forward, no matter what, I will be spending eternity in Heaven". The answer to that is a resounding "No, I don't know for sure", and to answer any other way is presumptuous at best.

I am completely OK with you, or anyone, saying that you do not know you're saved, or no you're not saved. I have "Zero" problem with it, and I respect your honesty in saying you would be presumptuous if you answered any other way than NO. I never challenged your answer to the question, but you seems to want to explain your answer. I hope your not upset answering the question, and that's why I asked because you seemed upset or unsettled with your No answer.

Are you satisfied with your interpretation of the verses I posted? Are you satisfied that "are being saved" is interpreted as growth "in what has been given" (e.g. Faith)?

Yes. Totally. :)
If it said "You who might be saved, or your who could be saved, but maybe not, or we'll just have to see about it, or depending on how good you are from here on out....then I guess I might have a problem with it, but it does not say that does it. ARE BEING SAVED. That's nothing but growth, and since I am a sinner, a saved sinner, I am not perfect so it's only right that I am growing in my salvation by faith that was given to me by God, .......12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 1 Corinthians 13:12

On a side note, I wanted to mention something I admire about Catholicism; Discipline. This is unrelated, just wanted to say that. I don't know why, but I have just always liked that about the Catholic church. I see value in that.

I'm having a hard time understanding why there is open questioning of those who "know that they know that they know", to use a weary cliche. But it does get the point across, in my opinion. Though doubts may nag at the back of your mind, there is no reason one cannot absolutely know he/she is going to heaven at the end of his/her life.

I knew the instant the Holy Spirit came to abide in me that i was a different man than I had been an instant before. I'd hesitate to say I felt the Holy Spirit come into me, but I can define a moment, an instant at that time, that I was not saved on minute and absolutely, positively was the next, for all eternity. Without fear of loss of salvation, which I know to be impossible, and without fear of temptation too great from Satan or the world that would cause me to stumble to destruction. That's impossible.

So, why the criticism? Just asking as a newbie.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back