Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Does anyone besides me Die out when people argue?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
A lot of the comments so far (and I’ve heard similar comments in other threads) assert that arguments arise because we represent a lot of diverse views and hold them passionately. This sort of implies that we come here expecting to agree and “end up†arguing because we are passionate.

Primarily, I come here for honest, academic style debate. There is a broader range of views and a wider selection of knowledgeable Christians here than I can find in my local church. We can’t sing hymns together here, we can’t pray together, but a forum is a perfect place for a proper debate. The debate broadens my knowledge and keeps my apologetic sword sharp.

However, I do find that it can be hard to have an honest debate here because people frequently resort to bomb throwing. Even when an exchange has been interesting and civil, some one (or two or three) will say something that amounts to:

“Your view is an evil heresy from the pits of Hell that hinders the will of God!â€

…Which doesn’t nourish healthy debate… I try never to argue, but to only debate. I try never to condescend or insult, but only to state my position and reasons, and ask probing questions of my “sparring partnerâ€. I like it when others do the same to me.

-HisSheep

Sometimes I have to bail out because I have a temper, as the people that know me here can attest to.

I think we'd all do well to realize that the truth of Gods word, and mans relationship with God, can not, and should not, be condensed into individual arbitrary opinions, or ideas of theology; That there must be room for some error to that which we hold individually, otherwise we've no hope to learn, or grow in our own faith and understanding, nor would any of us have followed Christ in the first place.

In the end we have God's word, and we test all things to his word, even before our own understanding of it. We should constantly struggle to understand, even that which we think we know; always testing and retesting to what God has said.

Where I think we have problems, is when we take what we think we know and place it above the word of God, or present it as the word of God repackaged with our own labels and try to sell it as a fresh new product when it's nothing but a knock-off of the original.

Everyone is guilty of doing this in their attempts to speak on behalf of God. However, that does not mean we should not present, or defend the truth of the word, but we need to do it by way of the word.

1 Peter 3:15-16
New International Version (NIV)
15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

If we are going to jump someone for their understanding of God's word fine, but what value is our effort if all we are doing is using our own words. We should be using God's word to back it up.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
New International Version (NIV)
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

There is no need for us to get angry when someone condemns our belief or theology. If we believe what we believe, and we are so convened then God's word can defend it and we should be leaning on, and using his words to do so in as gentle a manner as we can, because we may be able to argue with one another, but no one can argue effectively with God.

A lot of the comments so far (and I’ve heard similar comments in other threads) assert that arguments arise because we represent a lot of diverse views and hold them passionately. This sort of implies that we come here expecting to agree and “end up” arguing because we are passionate.

Primarily, I come here for honest, academic style debate. There is a broader range of views and a wider selection of knowledgeable Christians here than I can find in my local church. We can’t sing hymns together here, we can’t pray together, but a forum is a perfect place for a proper debate. The debate broadens my knowledge and keeps my apologetic sword sharp.

However, I do find that it can be hard to have an honest debate here because people frequently resort to bomb throwing. Even when an exchange has been interesting and civil, some one (or two or three) will say something that amounts to:

“Your view is an evil heresy from the pits of Hell that hinders the will of God!”

-HisSheep
ha ha yeah "My theology is better than your theology and of you could only see my point of view then you would know the mind of god" lol how many times have I seen that!

That guy disagrees with me so,,, he must be demon possessed!!!! Why else would he question my flawless logic and scriptural knowledge. lol

Its a funny thing to watch Christianity in action.

Last edited by a moderator:
brothers argue more with each other than with anyone else.
course, this may be because brothers are together, and still brothers, and just get going on with life again, or keep on going, and the arguing doesn't change their brotherness (usually).
online, it is practically impossible to learn anything, or to gain and enjoy fellowship in Christ Jesus in a real and personal and effective way.
in several years online, between 'work' day after day as possible, I've met 4 people that are 'real' , as much or little as that means. maybe 7, but 3 of those are still 'anonymous' and untested and might not be 'real'.

if i take a 30 minute walk or bicycle ride, i meet and talk with more people in that time than in months online.

('real' conversation that may have lasting effect for good in Christ Jesus.

online (everywhere online i've been in over a decade) i wonder if anyone, anyone at all, changes for the better even in ten years (actually, the longer it goes, the more they just post or watch or 'lurk' or whatever, the longer it goes the less likely they will benefit from anything online)

perhaps 'image' of the beast is a computer screen !?!? (partly in jest, but test test test , pray pray pray, hope hope hope, trust in Jesus and pursue Him 'for real' to be for sure reborn, born again, with a renewed mind in Yhwh's Grace in Jesus)

And some folks go around digging up bones :)

Speaking from the moderation side of this:
This topic is timely .... the over done s/he said s/he said just ruins threads ... members who might have some pertinent thoughts just walk away... the OP gets lost in the shuffle.... then threads get closed.... no one has gained much if anything..

online (everywhere online i've been in over a decade) i wonder if anyone, anyone at all, changes for the better even in ten years (actually, the longer it goes, the more they just post or watch or 'lurk' or whatever, the longer it goes the less likely they will benefit from anything online)
Yes i know i have and have seen it in others....this portion of our TOS has been very helpful

2.4: No Trolling. Do not make an inflammatory remark just to get a response. Address issues not personalities. Respect where people are in their spiritual walk, and respect all others in general. Respect where others are in their spiritual walk, do not disrupt the flow of discussion or act in a way that affects others negatively including when debating doctrinal issues, in the defense of the Christian faith, and in offering unwelcome spiritual advice.

Last edited:
to be honest simply i don't even know what trolling is or could be right now....

i'm hungry and thirsty for righteousness and searching continually for ABBA's Way and for His People anywhere and everywhere they may be(like KING DAVID said - I search across the country to find honest men to work with).

i.e. as my first sentence "for brothers" in Christ (may also be "sisters in Christ") who may or may not argue but remain brothers like "iron sharpens iron" and grow together in Christ as Yhwh permits and gives growth.

i.e. for "brothers and sisters" who keep at it in Christ and don't die out; not boxing in vain or keeping on for no reason, but to effectively grow in Christ and break through the barriers that have been in place for so long.

("no longer strangers and foreigners but fellow citizens in the household of God")

I should have removed the trolling part...FYI
  1. internet troll
    Web definitions
    1. In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response ...
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
    Blaming my background, it took years to accept that certain habits of some people do not mean they are not Christian.
    Being here long enough to see some of the hearts and hurts of people has soften me for the better i hope.
    King David was not an honest man Yet a man after Gods own heart...

:flammergasted: :jaw dropped to floor: did you say that ! ? "King David was not an honest man" ?

(if you did, do you know anyone who is more honest and upright than King David)
be aware,
Yhwh watches diligently over His Own Word to perform it, and He doesn't allow anyone to get away with speaking against
His anointed. (although it is weird that the man across the river who cursed David was permitted. I forget his outcome though)

Blaming my background, it took years
to accept that certain habits of some
people do not mean they are not
Christian.
Being here long enough to see some
of the hearts and hurts of people has
soften me for the better i hope.
King David was not an honest man Yet
a man after Gods own heart...

Blaming my background, it took years
to accept that certain habits of some
people do not mean they are not
Christian.
Being here long enough to see some
of the hearts and hurts of people has
soften me for the better i hope.
King David was not an honest man Yet
a man after Gods own heart...
:thumbsup

from biblegateway.com >>
Psalm 101
Good News Translation (GNT)

A King's Promise
101 My song is about loyalty and justice,
and I sing it to you, O Lord.
2 My conduct will be faultless.
When will you come to me?

I will live a pure life in my house
3 and will never tolerate evil.
I hate the actions of those who turn away from God;
I will have nothing to do with them.
4 I will not be dishonest and will have no dealings with evil.

5 I will get rid of anyone
who whispers evil things about someone else;
I will not tolerate anyone
who is proud and arrogant.

6 I will approve of those who are faithful to God
and will let them live in my palace.
Those who are completely honest

will be allowed to serve me.

7 No liar will live in my palace;

no hypocrite will remain in my presence.
8 Day after day I will destroy
the wicked in our land;
I will expel all who are evil
from the city of the Lord.

1 Samuel 26:9
But David said to Avishai, “Don’t destroy him! Nobody can raise his hand against Adonai’s anointed without becoming guilty!”

:flammergasted: :jaw dropped to floor: did you say that ! ? "King David was not an honest man" ?

(if you did, do you know anyone who is more honest and upright than King David)
be aware,
Yhwh watches diligently over His Own Word to perform it, and He doesn't allow anyone to get away with speaking against
His anointed. (although it is weird that the man across the river who cursed David was permitted. I forget his outcome though)
Nope we are all sinners...

God's Word takes a different perspective from ours, frequently. and God is always right :) >
(perhaps a topic for another thread?) >
Revelation 21:22-27
GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)

22 I did not see any temple in it, because the Lord God Almighty and the lamb are its temple. 23 The city doesn’t need any sun or moon to give it light because the glory of God gave it light. The lamb was its lamp. 24 The nations will walk in its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it. 25 Its gates will be open all day. They will never close because there won’t be any night there. 26 They will bring the glory and wealth of the nations into the holy city. 27 Nothing unclean, no one who does anything detestable, and no liars will ever enter it. Only those whose names are written in the lamb’s Book of Life will enter it.

I refuse to compromise the word of God by arguing and debating what has already been spoken of by God himself. I will share, I will discuss, I will learn from those who are more anointed in the word than I and I will grow in knowledge, but never ever will I give place to Satan by arguing with others just to make a point as this is foolishness in the eyes of the Lord.

Back