Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Does Infant Baptism Save An Individual?

Are individuals saved by infant baptism? Why or Why not?

• Yes, infants are saved when they are baptized because ...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Jon-Marc said:
Man, in his arrogance and pride, continually thinks that an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent God needs the help of sinful creatures to accomplish something that He can't do without our help. We are helpless and eternally lost in our sins without Jesus Christ. As the second person of the Godhead and being omnipotent He doesn't need our feeble efforts to help. It's much like the 2-year-old who says, "I can do it myself!" We CANNOT do it ourselves. We can't even help Him do it, and He doesn't need our help.

Apparently, you don't understand the motivation of love.

I don't need a 2 year old child to help me change the oil in my car, or my wife doesn't need a 2 year old child to help bake cookies, but out of love, we included our children in these activities. That is what families do. And we are God's children. As the Body of Christ, we continue to participate in God's call to the rest of the world.

Jesus died on the cross out of love, not out of necessity. God desires we participate in His work out of love, not out of necessity.

Regards

Jon-Marc said:
1 Tim. 3:20 says nothing about Noah and his family being saved from their sins by water. They were PHYSICALLY saved from death by being carried above the water in the Ark. Verse 21 specifically says that we are NOT saved from our sins by water

May I suggest you read 1 Peter 3:21 more closely? You are trying to twist it into something that is not there.

Jon-Marc said:
Jesus did all that was necessary for our redemption on the cross. When He said "It is finished", He meant that the redemptive work for our salvation was DONE! Nothing more was or is needed. Jesus did it all!

One of the biggest mistakes is to confuse the redemption of humanity as a whole with the redemption of the individual. You are making that very mistake. IF Christ's work was sufficient without anything from us, why exactly are not all men then saved? Why does God give man commandments? Why does God say that men will be judged based on what they do regarding God's Will? Is there no one in hell as a result of Christ's work, which effects ALL men? There seems to be more to the formula of salvation then Christ's Work on the Cross. Even Protestants will admit that one must have FAITH to be saved...

I propose that God expects a response to God's offer called "faith", a way of life. Without this response, aided by God, man is doomed, even considering Christ's sacrifice on the cross had given that man the opportunity to be saved.

Regards

Christ's sacrificial death for our sins paid the full price that we should have paid ourselves. If we accept God's offer of pardon for our sins, we will be able to stand before the judgment seat of God, saved by Christ's righteousness: For he ( God) hath made him ( Jesus) to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him ( 2 Cor. 5:21).

May God bless, golfjack

francisdesales said:
Apparently, you don't understand the motivation of love.

Jesus died on the cross out of love, not out of necessity. God desires we participate in His work out of love, not out of necessity.

Regards

So you're saying that Jesus' death on the cross was unnecessary? I assume you're then saying that we are capable of getting ourselves into heaven and standing before God clean and pure? Personally, I could never be that pious and self-righteous. It's been proved over and over that man left to his own devices will choose to do evil because it's in our nature. It's only the grace of God that keeps anyone from evil--even those who claim not to believe in Him.

It WAS necessary for Jesus to die on the cross if we were to be redeemed. Otherwise we would have been eternally lost in our sins. Yes, He didn't HAVE to do it but did it out of love. Yes, we are to work for the Lord after salvation, but we CANNOT work FOR our salvation. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a gift as it says in Eph. 2:8. You don't work for a gift.

Jon-Marc said:
So you're saying that Jesus' death on the cross was unnecessary? I assume you're then saying that we are capable of getting ourselves into heaven and standing before God clean and pure? Personally, I could never be that pious and self-righteous. It's been proved over and over that man left to his own devices will choose to do evil because it's in our nature. It's only the grace of God that keeps anyone from evil--even those who claim not to believe in Him.

I will agree with St. Thomas Aquinas that Jesus death was not strictly necessary. God could have chosen ANY means of redeeming man. The method He chose was to clearly manifest His love for us. I am certainly not saying we by ourselves can get ourselves to heaven! Redemption IS necessary - I am only saying the MEANS He chose was not.

Regards

For some reason unknown to us God chose that a blood sacrifice was necessary to atone for sin. Thousands of animals were scarificed and their blood shed for that purpose. Unfortunately, that only worked for a limited time and was never permanent. That is why why God chose to provide a permanent atonement for our since, NOTHING would work except an absolutely PERFECT sacrifice. ONLY God Himself could be that sacrifice. Yes, unfortunately, a perfect blood sacrifice was sufficient, and God had to "provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering" Gen. 22:8. He did just that because it was the ONLY way to provide a one time permanent remedy for sin.

Good point Jon Marc. The Bible says there is no forgiveness of sin without the shedding of blood ( Heb. 9:22). Therefore Thomas Aquinas is wrong in his statements.

May God bless, golfjack

Jon-Marc said:
For some reason unknown to us God chose that a blood sacrifice was necessary to atone for sin. Thousands of animals were scarificed and their blood shed for that purpose. Unfortunately, that only worked for a limited time and was never permanent. That is why why God chose to provide a permanent atonement for our since, NOTHING would work except an absolutely PERFECT sacrifice. ONLY God Himself could be that sacrifice. Yes, unfortunately, a perfect blood sacrifice was sufficient, and God had to "provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering" Gen. 22:8. He did just that because it was the ONLY way to provide a one time permanent remedy for sin.

Again, GOD inspired Scriptures. He had "already" decided, from the creation of the world, to offer His Son as a sin expiation for the sin that Adam and the rest of mankind "would" commit. Thus, in God's plan, knowing that He would act within time and send His Son to die, He foreshadowed His Son's death in time through the sacrifices of the Old Covenant - the shadow of the good things to come...

There is NO requirement that God the Father HAD to send His Son to die on the cross. God doesn't answer to the Bible or to some other "force" or the devil. God is not required to shed blood! He is truly ALL POWEFUL and SOVEREIGN, not subject to any "rules" that says He has to shed blood to redeem mankind. He CHOSE to send His Son to die - and inspired the Sacred Scriptures to take this into account.

golfjack said:
The Bible says there is no forgiveness of sin without the shedding of blood ( Heb. 9:22). Therefore Thomas Aquinas is wrong in his statements.

See above. Aquinas was not wrong. God already knew before the Bible was ever written that He would send His Son - owing nothing to no one. Strictly speaking, God could have chosen any way to redeem mankind. Look at the cross - and please get rid of all that "God HAD to die" out of your mind. Open yourself to God's WILLING self-sacrifice, His ultimate GIFT of love.

This is why Catholics have the corpus on the cross. It is God's sign of His ultimate love! Not some legal requirement He had to go through and get it out of the way so we could be redeemed!

Regards

jgredline said:
OK, Can you please in detail your position?

Here is an article of mine:
Why Baptise Infants?

By Richard Sherratt

“And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.â€Â
– Genesis 17:7

There will be times I am sure that we shall be asked by someone why as Christians we should or do baptise infants. How should we respond? It is my conviction that we ought to found our position squarely upon the eternal covenant of God.

The covenant of God
It is a glorious truth indeed that our God is a covenant God. In Genesis 17:7 God declares of himself “I will establish my covenantâ€Â. This gracious covenant that God establishes is founded in eternity and is realised within history and is wholly unconditional. It “was made with Christ as the second Adam, and in him with all the elect as his seed.†This covenant, the covenant of God, is a relation of the most intimate communion of friendship between the triune God and his chosen people in Christ Jesus. It is this covenant, this relation of friendship, that God establishes and he does so with believers and their children. Hence God says in Genesis 17:7 that “I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after theeâ€Â.

This gracious covenant is realised in history within the line of continued generations. This is found in Genesis 17:7 in the phrase “I will establish my covenant between me and…thy seed after thee in their generationsâ€Â. So as we look back into the Old Testament we find the line of God’s covenant running from Adam to Christ in an unbroken line through Seth, Noah, Shem, Abraham, Israel, Judah and David. Just read Genesis chapters 5, 10 and 11, Matthew chapter 1 and Luke chapter 3 to obtain a greater appreciation of this truth.

From the Old Testament we find that God has established his covenant with believers and their seed or, as Dutch Reformed theologian Herman Hoeksema puts it, ‘in the line of continued generations’ and that infants are included in the covenant of God. This is continued in the New Testament hence Peter declares in Acts 2:38, 39 “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.†I would then urge all to see “the truth of the historical-organic development of God’s covenant on earth in the line of generations.†Indeed the Puritans were fond of pointing out that “God casts the line of election in the loins of godly parents.â€Â

The covenant sign
Whilst God has established his covenant he has also instituted a sign and seal of this covenant so that those with whom the covenant is established are marked out as being in a covenant relation with God. Not only that these signs of the covenant have two parts. The first is an “outward and sensible sign†and the second is “an inward and spiritual grace†signified thereby. Under the old dispensation the sign and seal of the covenant was circumcision so when God established his covenant with Abraham and his seed God said that “…Every man child among you shall be circumcised. And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you†(Genesis 17: 10, 11). The sign of circumcision, we are taught in Romans 4:11, was a “seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised†i.e. that God justifies the believers by faith. If we look throughout the Scriptures we find that circumcision signified much more that just this. It symbolised regeneration and confession of sin (Leviticus 26:40, 41), sanctification or the putting off of the old man (Jeremiah 4:4). In Deuteronomy 30:6 it signified the working of God in the heart filling it with the love of God. Finally circumcision was a sign of God’s covenant to be the God of believers and their seed as is taught in Genesis 17:7-14 saying that it “shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and youâ€Â. The covenant sign of circumcision signified a spiritual grace.

However Christ has taken away all bloody ordinances and the rite of circumcision has been fulfilled in baptism and so now under the new dispensation baptism has replaced circumcision as the covenantal sign and seal. Titus 3:5 and 1 Peter 3:21 teach that baptism signifies regeneration and cleansing. Romans 6:4 teach that it symbolises sanctification and Galatians 3:27-29 teaches us that baptism signifies our being in the covenant of God as circumcision once did. Further Colossians 2:11-13 offers clear proof that circumcision and baptism are essentially the same in meaning.

This teaching is taught in both the Belgic Confession of 1561 and the Heidelberg Catechism of 1563. The Belgic Confession states that

We believe and confess that Jesus Christ, who is the end of the law, has by His shed blood put an end to every other shedding of blood that one could or would make as an expiation or satisfaction for sins. He has abolished circumcision, which involved blood, and has instituted in its place the sacrament of baptism. By baptism we are received into the Church of God and set apart from all other peoples and false religions, to be entirely committed to Him whose mark and emblem we bear. This serves as a testimony to us that He will be our God and gracious Father for ever…[and] Because baptism has the same meaning for our children as circumcision had for the people of Israel, Paul calls baptism the circumcision of Christ.

The Heidelberg Catechism asks “Should infants, too, be baptized?†replying thus:

Yes. Infants as well as adults belong to God's covenant and congregation…Therefore, by baptism, as sign of the covenant, they must be grafted into the Christian church and distinguished from the children of unbelievers. This was done in the old covenant by circumcision, in place of which baptism was instituted in the new covenant.

Here we find it taught explicitly that “baptism has the same meaning for our children as circumcision had for the people of Israel†and so we can say safely conclude that the sign and seal of the covenant has changed from circumcision to baptism.

A covenant people and a covenant sign
That God has established a covenant has been shown above as has his institution of a sign of that covenant. God has also commanded that those with whom he has established his covenant are marked with the covenant sign. This can be seen in Genesis 17:7-11 “I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee… Every man child among you shall be circumcised. And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.†Because God establishes his covenant with believers and their seed so believers and their seed ought be marked out by the covenant sign. Therefore the argument that we maintain is that infants ought to be baptised because they are included in the covenant of God and baptism being the sign of the covenant it should be administered to infants. Therein we join with the Second Helvetic Confession (1566) in asking that if infants are included in God’s covenant “Why, then, should the sign of God’s covenant not be given to them?â€Â

A final word
I began by asking how we should respond to someone asking why we should baptise infants. My answer is that we show them that because infants are included in the covenant and because baptism is the sign of the covenant it should therefore be administered to infants. We baptise infants because it is the will of God that infants be baptised!

Hope this helps :)

jgredline said:
Solo
Since I just became a proud Grampa :) and so then, that means I could do all the cool Grandpa things that I did not do with my own kids. Things like let them stay up till the wee hours of the night, eat candy for breakfast, Skip baths for a couple days etc.. Things like that.

Well, this thread got me thinking :-? I think I will take him to the Local CC and have him baptized so that as he is growing up he could live and do as he pleases. Join the local gang, hang out at drinking parties, have fun with the ladies, etc..
Since the baptizm will save him, he has nothing to worry about. Live like hell and have some fun. Geeee, I am going to have to speak with my parents about this. They should have baptized me. I missed out on lots of fun...

NOT :-D

You mix protestantism with Catholicism and think you have made a joke. We don't believe in Once Saved Always Saved. We believe that men are free to turn and walk away from Christ and so be lost.

jgredline said:
Stakes
You are joking right? You are not actually saying that a requirement for being saved is baptism? Dude. I could have a field day with this one. Na. This has to be a Joke :-D Has to be :-?

I guess peter was joking when he said "Baptism now SAVES you". It's in 1 Peter 3. Look it up. Must be a requirement.

thessalonian said:
I guess peter was joking when he said "Baptism now SAVES you". It's in 1 Peter 3. Look it up. Must be a requirement.

Thess
Here is a post I did a while back in regards to this verse.
I know its long but it may be worth your time to read it........

OK
After reading most of the post it seems to me that the heart of those who believe in baptism as a part of salvation is staked on this verse. Lets look at the context. This verse gets tossed around all the bible colleges and seminaries. Atleast it should be. Any good bible student should question this. Any good bible student with the help of the Holy Spirit will also see the truth of this scripture. I posted on this a while back, but can;t find it. Fortunatly I have some of my notes saved so lets take a look.

1 pet 3:18-22
18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, 19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us-baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him.

OK
Lets look at the context of this verse.. Most people think that verse 21 is all on its own and is usually taken out of context. So for the sake of the scriptures lets take a look at what Peter is saying here. Really, I should go back a little further, but for the sake of the length of this post I will try and keep it short. There is allot allot of meat here

Verses 19, 20 constitute one of the most puzzling and intriguing texts in the NT. It has been made the pretext for such unbiblical doctrines as purgatory on the one hand and universal salvation on the other. However, among evangelical Christians, there are two commonly accepted interpretations. I will very briefly cover both views again for the sake of context.

According to the first, Christ went to Hades in spirit between His death and resurrection, and proclaimed the triumph of His mighty work on the cross. There is disagreement among proponents of this view as to whether the spirits in prison were believers, unbelievers, or both. But there is fairly general agreement that the Lord Jesus did not preach the gospel to them. That would involve the doctrine of a second chance which is nowhere taught in the Bible. Those who hold this view often link this passage with Ephesians 4:9 where the Lord is described as descending “into the lower parts of the earth.†They cite this as added proof that He went to Hades in the disembodied state and heralded His victory at Calvary. They also cite the words of the Apostles’ Creed â€â€Ã¢â‚¬Å“descended into hell.â€Â

The second interpretation is that Peter is describing what happened in the days of Noah. It was the spirit of Christ who preached through Noah to the unbelieving generation before the flood. They were not disembodied spirits at that time, but living men and women who rejected the warnings of Noah and were destroyed by the flood. So now they are spirits in the prison of Hades.
This second view best fits the context and has the least difficulties connected with it. Let us examine the passage phrase by phrase.
By whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison. The relative pronoun whom obviously refers back to Spirit at the end of verse 18. I understand this to mean the Holy Spirit. In 1:11 of this Letter the “Spirit of Christ,†that is, the Holy Spirit, is described as speaking through the prophets of the OT. And in Genesis 6:3, God speaks of His Spirit, that is, the Holy Spirit, as nearing the limit of endurance with the antediluvians.
He went and preached. As already mentioned, it was Christ who preached, but he preached through Noah. In 2 Peter 2:5, Noah is described as a “preacher of righteousness.†It is the same root word used here of Christ’s preaching.
I know what your saying. What does this have to do with baptism? Well it does. Bare with me.

To the spirits now in prison. These were the people to whom Noah preachedâ€â€living men and women who heard the warning of an impending flood and the promise of salvation in the ark. They rejected the message and were drowned in the deluge. They are now disembodied spirits in prison, awaiting the final judgment.

Do you see where I am going with this?

OK, So the verse may be amplified as follows: “by whom (the Holy Spirit) He (Christ) went and preached (through Noah) to the spirits now in prison (Hades).â€Â
But what right do I have to assume that the spirits in prison were the living men in Noah’s day? The answer is found in the following verse.

3:20 Here the spirits in prison are unmistakably identified. Who were they? Those who formerly were disobedient. When were they disobedient? When once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared. What was the final outcome? Only a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water.

It is well to pause here and think about the general flow of thought in this Letter which was written against a general background of persecution.

The Christians to whom Peter wrote were suffering because of their life and testimony. Perhaps they wondered why, if the Christian faith was right, they should be suffering rather than reigning. If Christianity was the true faith, why were there so few Christians?

To answer the first question, Peter points to the Lord Jesus. Christ suffered for righteousness’ sake, even to the extent of being put to death. But God raised Him from the dead and glorified Him in heaven (see v. 22). The pathway to glory led through the valley of suffering.

Next Peter refers to Noah. For 120 years this faithful preacher warned that God was going to destroy the world with water. His thanks was scorn and rejection. But God vindicated him by saving him and his family through the flood.

Then there is the problem, “If we are right, why are there so few of us?†Peter answers: “There was a time when only eight people in the world were right and all the rest were wrong!â€Â

At the end of verse 20, we read that a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. It is not that they were saved by water; they were saved through the water. Water was not the savior, but the judgment through which God brought them safely.

To properly understand this statement and the verse that follows, we must see the typical meaning of the ark and of the flood. The ark is a picture of the Lord Jesus Christ.

The flood of water depicts the judgment of God.

The ark was the only way of salvation. When the flood came, only those who were inside were saved; all those on the outside perished. So Christ is the only way of salvation; those who are in Christ are as saved as God Himself can make them.

Those on the outside could not be more lost.

The water was not the means of salvation, for all who were in the water drowned.

The ark was the place of refuge.
The ark went through the water of judgment; it took the full brunt of the storm.
Not a drop of water reached those inside the ark. So Christ bore the fury of God’s judgment against our sins. For those who are in Him there is no judgment (John 5:24).

The ark had water beneath it, and water coming down on top of it, and water all around it. But it bore its believing occupants through the water to safety in a renewed creation. So those who trust the Savior are brought safely through a scene of death and desolation to resurrection ground and a new life.

3:21 There is also an antitype which now saves usâ€â€baptism. Ok, so here we are in difficult and controversial territory!
This verse has been a battleground between those who teach baptismal regeneration and those who deny that baptism has any power to save.

Now that we know the context, lets see what this means.

First let us see what it means, and then what it cannot mean.
Actually, there is a baptism which saves usâ€â€not our baptism in water, but a baptism which took place at Calvary almost 2000 years ago. Christ’s death was a baptism. He was baptized in the waters of judgment. This is what He meant when He said, “I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how distressed I am till it is accomplished!†(Luke 12:50). The psalmist described this baptism in the words, “Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls; all Your waves and billows have gone over me†(Ps. 42:7). In His death, Christ was baptized in the waves and billows of God’s wrath, and it is this baptism that is the basis for our salvation.

But we must accept His death for ourselves. Just as Noah and his family had to enter the ark to be saved, so we must commit ourselves to the Lord as our only Savior. When we do this, we become identified with Him in His death, burial, and resurrection.

In a very real sense, we then have been crucified with Him (Gal. 2:20), we have been buried with Him (Rom. 6:4), and we have been brought from death to life with Him (Rom. 6:4).

All this is pictured in the believer’s baptism. The ceremony is an outward sign of what has taken place spiritually; we have been baptized into Christ’s death. As we go under the water, we acknowledge that we have been buried with Him. As we come up out of the water, we show that we have risen with Him and want to walk in newness of life. But this is a ceremony and thats basically it. If we do not attend the ceremony, we are still saved.. We may miss out on the blessing, But we are still saved.

http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... c&start=30

Thess
Here is another exchange I had...

'stovebolts' said:
Hello Javier.
Just a quick note. The bible says, "Baptism now saves". This needs to be taken in context as it relates to many things. I'll explain more on 1 Peter come monday as I only have a few moment.

As I sat in the church service this morning I was thinking reminded about this thread. Today we had our communion service and we had a baptism service as well. I lost track at 20 people who got baptized. I am guessing it was 30 0r so. What an awsesome morning so far.

Francis
I agree with what you have said so far.

Jeff, I even think we will be on the same page as I explain my position on baptism..

As I explained in my earlier long post what the passage in 1 Peter means and I alluded to it a little when I said and I will quote myself ''Actually, there is a baptism which saves usâ€â€not our baptism in water, but a baptism which took place at Calvary almost 2000 years ago. Christ’s death was a baptism. He was baptized in the waters of judgment. This is what He meant when He said, “I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how distressed I am till it is accomplished!†(Luke 12:50). The psalmist described this baptism in the words, “Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls; all Your waves and billows have gone over me†(Ps. 42:7). In His death, Christ was baptized in the waves and billows of God’s wrath, and it is this baptism that is the basis for our salvation.

But we must accept His death for ourselves. Just as Noah and his family had to enter the ark to be saved, so we must commit ourselves to the Lord as our only Savior. When we do this, we become identified with Him in His death, burial, and resurrection.

In a very real sense, we then have been crucified with Him (Gal. 2:20), we have been buried with Him (Rom. 6:4), and we have been brought from death to life with Him (Rom. 6:4).

All this is pictured in the believer’s baptism. The ceremony is an outward sign of what has taken place spiritually; we have been baptized into Christ’s death. As we go under the water, we acknowledge that we have been buried with Him. As we come up out of the water, we show that we have risen with Him and want to walk in newness of life. But this is a ceremony and thats basically it. If we do not attend the ceremony, we are still saved.. We may miss out on the blessing, But we are still saved.''

So Now I will elaborate a little bit more.

So for the sake of context lets look at Romans 5:20-Romans 6:4
20 Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, 21 so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? 3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

It will help us to follow Paul’s argument in chapter 6 if we understand the difference between the believer’s position and his practice. His position is his standing in Christ. His practice is what he is or should be in everyday life.
Grace puts us into the position, then teaches us to walk worthy of it. Our position is absolutely perfect because we are in Christ. Our practice should increasingly correspond to our position. It never will correspond perfectly until we see the Savior in heaven, but we should be becoming more and more conformed to His image in the meantime.

Paul first sets forth the truth of our identification with Christ in death and resurrection, and then exhorts us to live in the light of this great truth.
The Jewish objector comes forward with what he thinks is a clinching argument. If the gospel of grace teaches that man’s sin provides for an even greater display of God’s grace, then doesn’t it suggest that we should continue in sin that grace may be all the more abundant?
A modern version of this argument is as follows: “You say that men are saved by grace through faith, apart from the law. But if all you have to do to be saved is believe, then you could go out and live in sin.†According to this argument, grace is not a sufficient motivation for holy living. You must put people under the restraints of the law.
It has been helpfully suggested that there are four answers in the chapter to the initial question, Shall we continue in sin?

1. You cannot, because you are united to Christ. Reasoning (vv. 1–11).
2. You need not, because sin’s dominion has been broken by grace. Appealing (vv. 12–14).
3. You must not, because it would bring sin in again as your master. Commanding (vv. 15–19).
4. You had better not, for it would end in disaster. Warning (vv. 20–23)

Paul’s first answer, then, is that we cannot continue in sin because we have died to sin. This is a positional truth. When Jesus died to sin, He died as our Representative. He died not only as our Substituteâ€â€that is, for us or in our placeâ€â€but He also died as our Representativeâ€â€that is, as us. Therefore, when He died, we died. He died to the whole question of sin, settling it once and for all. All those who are in Christ are seen by God as having died to sin.
This does not mean that the believer is sinless. It means that he is identified with Christ in His death, and in all that His death means.

The first key word in Paul’s presentation is KNOW. Here he introduces the subject of baptism to show that it is morally incongruous for believers to go on in sin. But the question immediately arises, “To which baptism is he referring?â€Â
When a person is saved, he is baptized into Christ Jesus in the sense that he is identified with Christ in His death and resurrection.
When Paul speaks of baptism here, he is thinking both of our spiritual identification with Christ and of its portrayal in water baptism. But as the argument advances, he seems to shift his emphasis in a special way to water baptism as he reminds his readers how they were “buried†and “planted together†in the “likeness†of Christ’s death.

Water baptism gives a visual demonstration of baptism into Christ. It pictures the believer being immersed in death’s dark waters (in the person of the Lord Jesus), and it pictures the new man in Christ rising to walk in newness of life. There is a sense in which a believer attends the funeral of his old self when he is baptized. As he goes under the water he is saying, “All that I was as a sinful son of Adam was put to death at the cross.†As he comes up out of the water he is saying, “It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me†(see Gal. 2:20).
Paul moves on to state that the resurrection of Christ makes it possible for us to walk in newness of life. He states that Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father. This simply means that all the divine perfections of Godâ€â€His righteousness, love, justice, etc.â€â€demanded that He raise the Lord. In view of the excellence of the Person of the Savior, it would not have been consistent with God’s character to leave the Savior in the tomb. God did raise Him, and because we are identified with Christ in His resurrection, we can and should walk in newness of life.

So in my closing arguments and as francis pointed out. There is no conflict in what Peter and paul both said.
It is necessary to be baptized into Christ for salvation as this baptism will save you, but baptism by water is not the same and its not necessary although commanded by scripture to do it., but it will not save you. The thief on the cross was baptized into Jesus Christ, but not by water...

Whewwwwooooo
I hope this makes sense.

jgred,

Thanks for your personal opinions, some of which are correct and some not. I only have a minute on right now. Perhaps in the coming days I will get to speak further. But God developed the symbol of baptism (which is not just a symbol). Christ's "baptism" is a part of our baptism. You drive a wedge between the two. The water is an integral part of the symbol signifying the true cleansing that God's does within by the Holy Spirit. Yet somehow that is unbiblical for you guys. Baptism is an outward sign of inward grace. The power of the Holy Spirit working in us to actually remove our sins. Not just imputed. The grace earned by Christ on the cross. So rich in meaning.

Thess
I know that there is noway we can agree because of the differant theolocal views, but I would love to here your opinions on my errors.
Thanks jg

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back