Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Free will or no free will?

Bubba said:
A interesting quote:

"...the real paradox of free will/determinism is that free will can exist only in a determined universe. In order to exercise our free will, our actions must have the potential to effect the outcome of events. Our actions cannot effect an event outcome unless there is a cause-effect relationship. Cause-effect is determinism." Edwin Ott
I am not sure what your point here is. Is it that the notion of free will is inconsistent with the "cause-effect" character of the universe we find ourselves in?

If so, then I think you have a problem with God acting freely as well. Presumably God's action are not "determined" by something other that God - presumably God has "free will". So we know that "free will" is indeed not incompatible with the notion of cause and effect. How free will and cause and effect can be reconciled may indeed be a complex problem, but unless God's actions are "determined" (that is, God has no "free will") we know that these two concepts can and do work together in the world.

Bubba said:
The Scripture is very clear that we are responsible for what we do, it is also clear that no one will come to God without first being regenerated by the Spirit and born again (1 Cor.2:14, John 6:44, Ephesians 2:1-9).
It's about grace, Bubba
I agree with this post. However, the "its about grace" statement stimulated me to make a point I have been thinking about making for some while now.

We need to be careful not to "let the tail wag the dog". In the context of the issue of grace - it is important that we not take a definition of this term, whose origin is entirely unclear, and then read that definition back into the scriptures.

People (me too) tend to slip into this mode of thinking and it does not work. So, just as an example, people take the word "works" and read it as "good deeds", when, for Paul at least, the context tells us that "works" is most often used to denote the works of Torah - the ethnic charter of the Jews.

In the case of grace, people take the "unmerited favour" idea and run with it. And this way of thinking leads them to squeeze any participation at all on the part of the recipient, no matter how small, out of the equation. Hence we have arguments that if I reach out and "freely" accept a gift, this cannot be "grace" since the very meaning of the word "grace", when taken to its logical conclusion, excludes the possibility of any participation on my part.

I think the more correct way of looking at concepts like "grace" (and others) is to see them as shorthand expressions of a longer story. We then need to look at the scriptural story and see how the story "defines" the content of grace, rather than taking the "dictionary defintion" and then running with that.

I will suggest that the Scriptural story of "grace", unlike the terse dictionary definition whose origins are not specifically connected to the scriptures, does not exclude some form of participation on the part of the human beings who are the recipients of grace.

I think that there is a thread of thinking in the church which has taken the dictionary definition of word "grace" and engaged in an odd kind of overly technical extrapolation where any notion of "participation" - any idea that we can freely accept the gifts given to us - is mercilessly expunged from the concept, and then read back into the scriptures.

Drew said:
Bubba said:
A interesting quote:

"...the real paradox of free will/determinism is that free will can exist only in a determined universe. In order to exercise our free will, our actions must have the potential to effect the outcome of events. Our actions cannot effect an event outcome unless there is a cause-effect relationship. Cause-effect is determinism." Edwin Ott
I am not sure what your point here is. Is it that the notion of free will is inconsistent with the "cause-effect" character of the universe we find ourselves in?

If so, then I think you have a problem with God acting freely as well. Presumably God's action are not "determined" by something other that God - presumably God has "free will". So we know that "free will" is indeed not incompatible with the notion of cause and effect. How free will and cause and effect can be reconciled may indeed be a complex problem, but unless God's actions are "determined" (that is, God has no "free will") we know that these two concepts can and do work together in the world.

Drew,
God being omniscient is the only being who actually has freewill. God does not need nor has outside influence to govern decisions. His decisions are always right and pure and in fact have always been, or He is not God (though the finite can not fathom this thought). I might add, that His attribute of love for His creation as always been and eventually all will be reconciled through Christ.
Grace, Bubba

I think that there is a thread of thinking in the church which has taken the dictionary definition of word "grace" and engaged in an odd kind of overly technical extrapolation where any notion of "participation" - any idea that we can freely accept the gifts given to us - is mercilessly expunged from the concept, and then read back into the scriptures.

Drew,
I would be one of these people. I believe regeneration and salvation is a monergistic act from God. Especially in the light of Scripture that speak to being enslaved to Satan after the Fall: 2 Corinthians 4:4, “The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.â€Â

Bubba

A man is free in what sense? In his mind? Ok. But then we see God made Pharaoh change his mind about releasing the Israelites. Every time Pharaoh gave up, God hardened his heart. So Pharaoh was willing to let the Israelites go but God wouldn't let him do what he was willing to do. And it wasn't just once. It was many times. Pharaoh essentially said to Moses, 'I give up. Take the Israelites and go.' But God hardened his heart and Pharaoh changed his mind. To our understanding of freewill, it was Pharaoh who changed his mind. He was free to change his mind. But could he resist God's will? No. In his mind he was free, until God cut him off, and then he went back to being Pharaoh. So inevitably he went back. As the saying goes, 'a leopard can not change it's spots.' Jer. 13:23

Now the question of freewill and whether we can direct our own future. I don't think so. I think God directs our future. It's not that temptations don't enter into it and possibilities don't exist. But it's that we are all apparently so fixed in our thinking and in our understanding that there is no possibility for any different future. What possibility is there for escape, as Jesus said to them, 'You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell?' Matthew 23:33 Either the tree is good or it is bad, like Jesus said.

I think it's pretty amazing that no one has changed their mind on any position on anything that we have talked about in this forum. No argument no matter how persuasive has done anything to change anyone. But that's not the purpose of this forum, is it? The purpose of this forum is to reveal the sons of the evil one to our eyes. So it is not our intention to change anyone's mind. It is our intention to speak the truth.

Does God need you to create his kingdom? Nope. God's kingdom is being created despite your will and your effort and your thinking and your logic. God doesn't need our approval or our assent. He will find those who are his, and he will befuddle those who are not his.

Why Pray if God is Sovereign?
"There is a growing response among Christians today to the truth of God's sovereignty. More and more Christians are realizing that God rules absolutely, allowing and controlling everything by His will and strength. Nothing is too hard for Him (Jeremiah 32:27). Nothing escapes His notice (Matthew 10:29). Everything works according to His perfect will and plan (Ephesians 1:11). He determined His perfect purpose before the world was formed and decreed the end of all things before anything even began (Isaiah 46:10)...

As encouraging and confidence-building as that truth is, some people might think prayer is a waste of time and energy. Because God's will cannot fail to be accomplished, and if He is in complete control of everything anyway, does that fact destroy our motivation to pray?

No, it doesn't. God has ordained the means as well as the end, and it is His design that the prayers of His people should be the means by which He is frequently moved to act. James wrote, "The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much" (James 5:16). God, who sovereignly decreed His judgment against Israel in the time of King Ahab, also ordained that the prayer of Elijah would be the effectual means through which the judgment was brought (James 5:17-18)."

- from Lord, Teach Me to Pray, by John MacArthur

Bubba said:
God being omniscient is the only being who actually has freewill.
While your statement above might be true, it needs to be defended. You seem to suggest that being omniscient is a necessary pre-condition for free-will - a significant claim indeed. However, it needs to be defended, not merely asserted.

I see no reason to believe this at all. Why can creatures that are not omniscient have some degree of free will?

Bubba said:

Drew,
I would be one of these people. I believe regeneration and salvation is a monergistic act from God. Especially in the light of Scripture that speak to being enslaved to Satan after the Fall: 2 Corinthians 4:4, “The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.â€Â
Are you really admitting to engaging in the kind of thinking that I am describing? I do not think you really intended to agree that you "read things back into the scriptures".

Second, the scripture that you quote, by itself anyway, does not accomplish anything for the position you seem to hold. I can easily counter that the blinding is what happens at the end of a road of free will rejection of the gospel. The lost person, while initially possessing a measure of free will in respect to the gospel, over time becomes subject to the blinding effect that Paul refers to.

Besides, we have a number of texts, including Old Testament ones, that use "free will" language - words like "choose", etc. It is very difficult to make a case that "choose" means "take the path pre-ordained for you". While I have recently argued against the danger of taking "dictionary" definitions and reading them back into the scriptures, I think that red flags should indeed be raised if we are forced too far afield from the dictionary definition.

In the Old Testament we are instructed to "choose" who we will follow. If I understand your position correctly, this word really needs to means "you will irresistably take the path pre-ordained for you". If we can deform word meanings to such a degree, the sky's the limit and any position can be sustained.

The dictionary term "grace", on the other hand, while perhaps consistent with monergism is really also consistent with a highly "one-sided" synergism where all we of our own free will is to reach out and accept a gift.

Drew said:
Bubba said:
God being omniscient is the only being who actually has freewill.
While your statement above might be true, it needs to be defended. You seem to suggest that being omniscient is a necessary pre-condition for free-will - a significant claim indeed. However, it needs to be defended, not merely asserted.

I see no reason to believe this at all. Why can creatures that are not omniscient have some degree of free will?
Drew,
I have defended this position over and over again; take a look at my posts. My question for you is, who other then God, is not influence by others, place of birth, race, culture, religion, affluence, poverty, intelligence, lack of intelligence, education, etc and etc.
Bubba

Bubba said:
I have defended this position over and over again; take a look at my posts. My question for you is, who other then God, is not influence by others, place of birth, race, culture, religion, affluence, poverty, intelligence, lack of intelligence, education, etc and etc.
Bubba
Please tell me the time and date of any post where you have made a case that omniscience is a necessary pre-condition for the possession of free will. That is the matter at issue.

As for your question: I would have to be an idiot to deny that we are all substantially subject to influences. But, unless I have missed some argument from you or others, the presence and power of these influences does not necessaily rob us of all self-determining free will.

Let's say that I am born into family of smokers, and that I even have a powerful genetic drive to smoke. Does this means that I cannot resist the power of these influences?

Maybe, maybe not. But one cannot simply claim that the presence of such influences robs you of all free will. Again, please point me to any arguments you have made in this regard. I recall one post, but, again, it really amounted to a mere assertion - an unsubstantiated claim that the presence of a number of external influences robs one of all free will.

Bubba said:
No, it doesn't. God has ordained the means as well as the end, and it is His design that the prayers of His people should be the means by which He is frequently moved to act. James wrote, "The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much" (James 5:16). God, who sovereignly decreed His judgment against Israel in the time of King Ahab, also ordained that the prayer of Elijah would be the effectual means through which the judgment was brought (James 5:17-18)."
I still think this argument leaves the central issue (and problem) untouched. If one believes that God is sovereign in the strong sense that He is the fully sufficient cause of all events, then one is forced to conclude that one's decision to pray is a pre-scripted event whose consequences have also been pre-scripted.

On such a view of God's sovereignty, one is placed in the curious position of believing that everything that you do has been pre-ordained - that there is no sense in which you are different from a planet orbiting the sun under the entirely deterministic influence of gravity. This, I suggest, is really an untenable position. Human beings who really buy into that model will lose all motivation and drive - they will see themselves as puppets (which they indeed truly are on such a view) and will despair of any point at all to initiative.

So its all well and good to assert that God has pre-ordained that we pray - that we serve as part of the means of God's all-encompassing fore-ordainment.

However, that is not the real problem about prayer to a God who is sovereign in this strong sense. The real problems is, I claim, that it is in the fundamental nature of human beings to gain energy and drive from the belief that they are agents of fresh creativity in the world - that they are to some degree free to act in the world. That energizing source is taken away if all our actions are pre-ordained.

Drew said:
Bubba said:
Bubba
Please tell me the time and date of any post where you have made a case that omniscience is a necessary pre-condition for the possession of free will. That is the matter at issue.

As for your question: I would have to be an idiot to deny that we are all substantially subject to influences. But, unless I have missed some argument from you or others, the presence and power of these influences does not necessaily rob us of all self-determining free will.

Let's say that I am born into family of smokers, and that I even have a powerful genetic drive to smoke. Does this means that I cannot resist the power of these influences?

Maybe, maybe not. But one cannot simply claim that the presence of such influences robs you of all free will. Again, please point me to any arguments you have made in this regard. I recall one post, but, again, it really amounted to a mere assertion - an unsubstantiated claim that the presence of a number of external influences robs one of all free will.

Drew,
2 Corinthians 4:4,â€Âin whom the god of this age did blind the minds of the unbelieving, that there doth not shine forth to them the enlightening of the good news of the glory of the Christ, who is the image of God;â€Â

1 Corinthians 2:14,â€Âand the natural man doth not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for to him they are foolishness, and he is not able to know [them], because spiritually they are discerned;â€Â
Colossians 2:13-14, “And you -- being dead in the trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh -- He made alive together with him, having forgiven you all the trespasses,
14having blotted out the handwriting in the ordinances that is against us, that was contrary to us, and he hath taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross;â€Â

My point is that man is the only one who makes decisions based on external as well as internal factors. It is implied that God is not so influence. As I included with the section on why pray then (which you disagree with), that even our prayers are one of the many means that God through the Holy Spirit orchestrates our lives (the Holy Spirit motivates, directs, convicts and etc). As with the verses I began with, our nature determines our spiritual choices, thus we must be regenerated before one will receive Christ. In respect to our everyday decisions, I can not think of one decision any man will make that is not determined by external and internal factors. God on the other hand, is not so govern. Granted one may argue that God does not have a choice in regards to being able to sin, He will always do that which is pure and righteous now and in the long run. God’s choices are not determined by external realities, He creates reality and we are influence by what He has already determined (Ephesians 1:11, “…having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,â€Â). We though, are totally controlled by external and internal reality. Take away all that is, has and will influence us, and we can’t choose anything.
Grace, Bubba

Hi everyone,

I am sure I replied in this thread some time last year. The Scripture has changed my view about this, and admittedly I am still learning about it.

When exactly is the will free? I do not think it is ever completely free even after regeneration. The will is connected to our fallen flesh, and even after regeneration we struggle with submitting our will to the Father's being yet bound to that flesh.

Paul tells us, after we are regenerated, to yield ourselves to God, and not to yield to sin from which we have been set free. We are to submit our will to God, and we are unable to do this in a complete way. That's the reason we needed Christ, who was able to completely submit His will to the Father by the Spirit...being born of the Spirit and not of the seed of Adam.

There are lots of post-regeneration commands that involve submitting our will...obey, walk worthy, do good works, watch and pray, be sober, walk in the spirit etc. Because of divine influence (God's grace), our will is able through faith (given, according to God's measure, by God's grace) to be subjected to God's will. Not perfectly, as Christ's was, but in a similar manner beacause we are now born of the Spirit in addition to being born of the flesh. But, because of our flesh, we are still easily influenced by this world. It is ony by God's grace (divine influence) in giving us the Truth that we are sparked to continue on. God's grace, which governs, is truly part of every step - seeing Him, obeying Him, and overcoming this world.

We have to have faith first in order to submit our will to His...we have to have the law written on our hearts first. We are free-er, maybe, only in the sense that we have another option. By God's grace we can be strengthened through affliction, and other things, to produce self-control...will-control, and have more and more of our will submitted to His as His grace and love abound even more in us.

I think that our will is never free in any real sense until we receive glorified bodies, when Earth is made new, and even then only for the purpose of being able to completely serve God's in unity, apart from deception and fallen flesh, as we were created to do. Some of my thoughts. The Lord bless you.

I think that our will is never free in any real sense until we receive glorified bodies, when Earth is made new, and even then only for the purpose of being able to completely serve God's in unity, apart from deception and fallen flesh, as we were created to do. Some of my thoughts. The Lord bless you.
Lovely,
I completely agree, that we will not have total freedom of the will until we are with the Father.
Blessings, Bubba

Bubba said:
Lovely,
I completely agree, that we will not have total freedom of the will until we are with the Father.
Blessings, Bubba
Does that mean we will be "free" to leave? ;-) ;-) Hypothetically speaking, of course. No one is and will be free, period. Just ask Satan. :o

Bubba said:
Lovely,
Blessings, Bubba

By 'total freedom of the will', do you mean freedom from God's will? I don't think there is a separation from God in heaven anymore than there is on earth. Surely our desire is not to be separated from God. If God is in you, then you are not free from God. God doesn't cast out God. He casts out Satan. And our will is to do God's will.

MarkT said:
Bubba said:
Lovely,
Blessings, Bubba

By 'total freedom of the will', do you mean freedom from God's will? I don't think there is a separation from God in heaven anymore than there is on earth. Surely our desire is not to be separated from God. If God is in you, then you are not free from God. God doesn't cast out God. He casts out Satan. And our will is to do God's will.
Mark T,
My thought is that when we are in glory, our “will†will be in total alignment with God’s will. We will no longer struggle with the flesh, and this will be when we finally have total freedom from actual sin and the presence of sin.
Grace, Bubba

Mark T,
My thought is that when we are in glory, our “will†will be in total alignment with God’s will. We will no longer struggle with the flesh, and this will be when we finally have total freedom from actual sin and the presence of sin.
Grace, Bubba

Sounds about right. :) It will be a different kind of life completely. Nothing we can imagine right now. We won't have any desire for anything because everything God has will be given to us and we won't even remember this life.

I have just recently joined the forum, and admit I have not read all 55 pages of this thread.
Going back to Heidi's original premise:

When planning and creating the universe there can only be 2 options on how it would go:

1) The notion that some people were simply born smarter, more pure and intelligent to choose God and the rest were just too stupid and wicked not to.

or: 2) We are all in the same boat, none better than another and only God chooses who will come to him and gives us the pwoer to do his will.

I don't think these are the options at all. I believe God created man in His own image, and one of the chief aspects of this image is having free will ---- the ability to choose. This has no relation to intelligence. Some of the most intelligent people make bad choices and vice versa.

God respects man's free will, for it is His creation. That is one of the reasons He does not intervene much in the affairs of humanity. It also goes a long way in explaining "the problem of evil."

We can either coöperate with God's will or oppose it. The idea that no one can "resist God's will" is false. If God's will is always done, then, in the Lord's prayer, the words "Let your will be done on earth as it is in heaven" is meaningless.

All Christians in the main church prior to 200 believed in the free will of man. Indeed, some of them at that time, argued against those Greek philosophers who taught that all things have been predetermined.

Pretty smart for a 4 year old!

God ENABLES the will by the "Drawing of ALL unto Christ" John 12:32 - that supernatural act enables ALL to choose Christ if they desire it.

In John 1 we are told that Christ is the light that "coming into the world ENLIGHTENS EVERY MAN""

In Rev 3 He presents His work of reaching the world this way "I STAND at the door AND KNOCK if anyone hears my voice AND OPENS THE DOOR - I WILL come in and fellowship with him".

In John 16:8-12 his work in REACHING the world is described this way "The Holy Spirit sent to CONVICT THE WORLD of sin and righteousness and judgment".

Free will in that one respect is both Created AND Sustained by the Creator.

in Christ,

Bob

Back