Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Genesis 2-3

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

for_his_glory

Fight the good fight of faith
2024 Supporter
Genesis Chapter 2-3

Let's start with Genesis 2 about the creation of Adam first before God created Eve from the rib bone of Adam. Note the commandment of God, being the first one, given to Adam in Genesis 2:16-17. God's command was that Adam was not to eat from the tree of good and evil. When God told Adam he would surely die if he ate from that tree, God did not mean Adam would physically die that day, but would lose that Spiritual fellowship he had with God.

Now let's go to vs. 23 this is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Woman is from the Old English word for wife. The "wo" in the word woman is a prefix meaning "out of" as Eve was created out of the rib of Adam as they were both equal to each other. Bone of my bone, flesh of my flesh. A man is to cleave, stay close, to his wife. So we see by that verse Adam and Eve were one, because she was taken out of Adam as again, bone of my bone, flesh of my flesh.

Interesting in vs.25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed. They were not ashamed as they had no knowledge about what it was to be naked.

Now simply we read in Genesis 3 about the fall of Adam and Eve allowing themselves to believe the lie of the serpent (Satan). Why did Adam and Eve fail in being disobedient to God's first commandment made to man, Genesis 2:16-17, because there eyes were now opened to the good and the evil and they both chose to disobey God and fell to the evil lust of the eye taking that which God told both of them not to partake of. They both tried to hide from the voice of God in the garden, but God knew where they were and what they had done.

Even though they lost the privilege of staying in the garden, Genesis 3:22-24, and now all things of that good paradise would now be a curse to them, but God forgave them making coats of skin before He drove them out, which would be the first blood sacrifice for sin, as the second Adam, Christ Jesus, was made the last blood sacrifice for our sin in all who will believe in His name.

Now the nature to sin has been passed down through every generation that all will know the difference between good and evil as they make their own freewill choices and the tree of life will be found in the New Jerusalem, Rev 22, as the tree of life there is for the healing of all nations (people).

Genesis Chapter 2-3

Let's start with Genesis 2 about the creation of Adam first before God created Eve from the rib bone of Adam. Note the commandment of God, being the first one, given to Adam in Genesis 2:16-17. God's command was that Adam was not to eat from the tree of good and evil. When God told Adam he would surely die if he ate from that tree, God did not mean Adam would physically die that day, but would lose that Spiritual fellowship he had with God.

Now let's go to vs. 23 this is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Woman is from the Old English word for wife. The "wo" in the word woman is a prefix meaning "out of" as Eve was created out of the rib of Adam as they were both equal to each other. Bone of my bone, flesh of my flesh. A man is to cleave, stay close, to his wife. So we see by that verse Adam and Eve were one, because she was taken out of Adam as again, bone of my bone, flesh of my flesh.

Interesting in vs.25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed. They were not ashamed as they had no knowledge about what it was to be naked.

Now simply we read in Genesis 3 about the fall of Adam and Eve allowing themselves to believe the lie of the serpent (Satan). Why did Adam and Eve fail in being disobedient to God's first commandment made to man, Genesis 2:16-17, because there eyes were now opened to the good and the evil and they both chose to disobey God and fell to the evil lust of the eye taking that which God told both of them not to partake of. They both tried to hide from the voice of God in the garden, but God knew where they were and what they had done.

Even though they lost the privilege of staying in the garden, Genesis 3:22-24, and now all things of that good paradise would now be a curse to them, but God forgave them making coats of skin before He drove them out, which would be the first blood sacrifice for sin, as the second Adam, Christ Jesus, was made the last blood sacrifice for our sin in all who will believe in His name.

Now the nature to sin has been passed down through every generation that all will know the difference between good and evil as they make their own freewill choices and the tree of life will be found in the New Jerusalem, Rev 22, as the tree of life there is for the healing of all nations (people).
Good reading

Love always, Walter

I don't understand Genesis 2-3 (or more properly 1-3) to be literal truth. I believe they were written to teach us certain basic principles of God, at least in the way the ancient Hebrews understood them.

Take for example, Eve being created from Adam's rib (or side). I don't believe that this literally happened, but was written to teach that a husband and wife are of one essence. Genesis 2:18, "Then the Lord God said, ‘It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper as his partner.’ " Then 23-24, "Then the man said,

‘This at last is bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
this one shall be called Woman,
for out of Man this one was taken.’

Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and clings to his wife, and they become one flesh." NRSV

There is no better way to define the relationship between husband and wife than these verses.

Likewise, Genesis 3:5, "... for God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.’ " The two trees represent pure faith in God -- the tree of life -- versus humans discerning "truth" on their own -- knowing good and evil. I don't believe there was a literal orchard.

This does not mean that I don't believe the Bible or that it is not God's word, but that there are lessons to be taught. That isn't the case with Exodus through Jude, but I believe that Genesis 1-4 and Revelation are meant to be interpreted rather than taken literally.

I don't understand Genesis 2-3 (or more properly 1-3) to be literal truth. I believe they were written to teach us certain basic principles of God, at least in the way the ancient Hebrews understood them.

Take for example, Eve being created from Adam's rib (or side). I don't believe that this literally happened, but was written to teach that a husband and wife are of one essence. Genesis 2:18, "Then the Lord God said, ‘It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper as his partner.’ " Then 23-24, "Then the man said,

and flesh of my flesh;

Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and clings to his wife, and they become one flesh." NRSV

There is no better way to define the relationship between husband and wife than these verses.

Likewise, Genesis 3:5, "... for God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.’ " The two trees represent pure faith in God -- the tree of life -- versus humans discerning "truth" on their own -- knowing good and evil. I don't believe there was a literal orchard.

This does not mean that I don't believe the Bible or that it is not God's word, but that there are lessons to be taught. That isn't the case with Exodus through Jude, but I believe that Genesis 1-4 and Revelation are meant to be interpreted rather than taken literally.
A physical seed is a seed. Inside the seed is information for a plant. How the plant develops, grows, forms fruit, makes new seed is physical. Jesus said the seed is the word of God.

A physical seed is a seed. Inside the seed is information for a plant. How the plant develops, grows, forms fruit, makes new seed is physical. Jesus said the seed is the word of God.
I don't understand the relevance of this to my post.

Now how we develop spiritually is based on the information contained in the Bible. Follow instructions and develop correctly.

The seed was created first. A GMO is not a pure seed. Adam and Eve let Satan modify what God was telling them.

Metaphysics is two things.
The physical
And
The spiritual beyond / greater than the physical.

It is not either physical or spiritual, but a physical
Reality with an inner Spiritual reality truth.

The seed meaning was not revealed till Jesus told the Disciples.

I want to shut up and let for_his_glory teach.

eddif

and flesh of my flesh;

It can be understood in the literal perspective, but also in the Spiritual of what God wants to teach us. . I do believe the garden of Eden is real within God creating it and the names of the rivers that flowed out of it as those rivers exist even today. Flesh of my flesh and bone of my bones does represent the literal in how woman was created and also Spiritual that man and woman was created as one in God's Spirit breathed in both of them that made each one a living soul and they/we will return back to the dust of the ground (grave) when we physically die.

I feel there is more that we are not seeing about the eating of the tree God told them not to eat from and how Satan worked through the serpent to cause the temptation they fell for. Maybe someone else will shed a better light on this. Whether it was a real fruit tree or symbolic the lesson is they disobeyed God's command and paid the consequences for their disobedience, Genesis 3:22-24.

Now how we develop spiritually is based on the information contained in the Bible. Follow instructions and develop correctly.

The seed was created first. A GMO is not a pure seed. Adam and Eve let Satan modify what God was telling them.

Metaphysics is two things.
The physical
And
The spiritual beyond / greater than the physical.

It is not either physical or spiritual, but a physical
Reality with an inner Spiritual reality truth.

The seed meaning was not revealed till Jesus told the Disciples.

I want to shut up and let for_his_glory teach.

eddif
I value your :twocents, even though I have to think about what you say sometimes :confused 🤣. We have the tree of life that could represent the seed being the word of God as lessons learn of eternal life with the Father and the tree of good an evil which is also the word of God in instruction in His righteousness. We can also see in Genesis 3:21 where the very first blood sacrifice was made when God clothed Adam and Eve with the skins of animals also a symbol of being clothed in God's righteousness for the forgiveness of sin. A foreshadow of Christ and His blood sacrifice for our sins.

I value your :twocents, even though I have to think about what you say sometimes :confused 🤣. We have the tree of life that could represent the seed being the word of God as lessons learn of eternal life with the Father and the tree of good an evil which is also the word of God in instruction in His righteousness. We can also see in Genesis 3:21 where the very first blood sacrifice was made when God clothed Adam and Eve with the skins of animals also a symbol of being clothed in God's righteousness for the forgiveness of sin. A foreshadow of Christ and His blood sacrifice for our sins.
Isaiah 53:2 kjv
2. For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
3. He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
Jesus is The tree of life
4. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
5. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Jesus is the tree of life. He was the word of God - He became flesh. The 2nd Adam became a quickening Spirit it.

eddif

It can be understood in the literal perspective, but also in the Spiritual of what God wants to teach us. . I do believe the garden of Eden is real within God creating it and the names of the rivers that flowed out of it as those rivers exist even today. Flesh of my flesh and bone of my bones does represent the literal in how woman was created and also Spiritual that man and woman was created as one in God's Spirit breathed in both of them that made each one a living soul and they/we will return back to the dust of the ground (grave) when we physically die.

I feel there is more that we are not seeing about the eating of the tree God told them not to eat from and how Satan worked through the serpent to cause the temptation they fell for. Maybe someone else will shed a better light on this. Whether it was a real fruit tree or symbolic the lesson is they disobeyed God's command and paid the consequences for their disobedience, Genesis 3:22-24.
Or both literal and figurative. I don't think it has to be an either/or.

Or both literal and figurative. I don't think it has to be an either/or.
I don't see how something can be both literal and figurative at the same time, since they have meanings that are directly opposite to each other.

Figuratively means metaphorically, and literally describes something that actually happened.

Although figuratively has room for interpretation or exaggeration, literally is exact and concrete in its meaning.

I don't see how something can be both literal and figurative at the same time, since they have meanings that are directly opposite to each other.

Figuratively means metaphorically, and literally describes something that actually happened.

Although figuratively has room for interpretation or exaggeration, literally is exact and concrete in its meaning.
I'm sitting here trying to grasp why a figurative meaning HAS to be opposite a literal meaning. I know the definitions, but many times double meanings are not necessarily opposite. Sometimes they can be, but not always.

I'm sitting here trying to grasp why a figurative meaning HAS to be opposite a literal meaning. I know the definitions, but many times double meanings are not necessarily opposite. Sometimes they can be, but not always.
This is just sophistry. Literal: taking words in their usual or most basic sense without metaphor or allegory. Figurative: departing from a literal use of words; metaphorical.

The physical and spiritual are parallel in meaning and not opposite.
Different context, but similar meaning.
Pay a good preacher
Let an oxen eat if it treads out the corn
A plowman plows in hope of a share in the harvest
A thresher works and deserves pay
A workman should get paid

Matthew 13 and Mark 4. Study these to understand why parables.’

To put a peach seed in the ground you get a peach tree.

To plant the word of God in a good ground heart yo get a crop.
Plant the Word in a stony ground heart and a plant comes up but withers away.

Just cry out to God and He will send an answer you can understand.

eddif

This does not mean that I don't believe the Bible or that it is not God's word,
Jaybo, since this statement is in reference to how God/Jesus created Eve from Adam's rib, which you believe was not literal, then claim you believe the Bible to be the word of God, leaves me to believe, that you like to cherry pick what you believe as long as it goes along the your reasoning. This is evidence of one having little faith.

If you were to believe more of what the bible teaches, your faith in God will grow as well.

Flesh of my flesh and bone of my bones does represent the literal in how woman was created and also Spiritual that man and woman was created as one in God's Spirit breathed in both of them that made each one a living soul and they/we will return back to the dust of the ground (grave) when we physically die.
Glory, I don't understand your meaning of the portion which I put in bold print. Would you please rephrase "one in God's Spirit." Thanks.

The physical and spiritual are parallel in meaning and not opposite.
Different context, but similar meaning.
Pay a good preacher
Let an oxen eat if it treads out the corn
A plowman plows in hope of a share in the harvest
A thresher works and deserves pay
A workman should get paid

Matthew 13 and Mark 4. Study these to understand why parables.’

To put a peach seed in the ground you get a peach tree.

To plant the word of God in a good ground heart yo get a crop.
Plant the Word in a stony ground heart and a plant comes up but withers away.

Just cry out to God and He will send an answer you can understand.

eddif
I have no idea what you're trying to say. I read the Bible carefully every day and also pray to God several times a day. He sends me answers that I understand. Why the mindless babbling?

Examples...

"Matthew 13 and Mark 4. Study these to understand why parables." Why parables what?
"Just cry out to God and He will send an answer you can understand." Why cry out? Is that necessary to get an understandable answer?
"To put a peach seed in the ground you get a peach tree." No kidding!

Jaybo, since this statement is in reference to how God/Jesus created Eve from Adam's rib, which you believe was not literal, then claim you believe the Bible to be the word of God, leaves me to believe, that you like to cherry pick what you believe as long as it goes along the your reasoning. This is evidence of one having little faith.

If you were to believe more of what the bible teaches, your faith in God will grow as well.
I just cut him some slack. It is common not to understand that figurative language is the same as literal. More than likely someone else is the source of the statements.

eddif

I have no idea what you're trying to say. I read the Bible carefully every day and also pray to God several times a day. He sends me answers that I understand. Why the mindless babbling?

Examples...

"Matthew 13 and Mark 4. Study these to understand why parables." Why parables what?
"Just cry out to God and He will send an answer you can understand." Why cry out? Is that necessary to get an understandable answer?
"To put a peach seed in the ground you get a peach tree." No kidding!
Matthew13:10 kjv
10. And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
11. He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
12. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
13. Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
14. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

I am trying to help you understand. A presage is hidden in a parable. Jesus revealed the meaning to the disciples.

eddif

Back