Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Genesis 2-3

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I do not understand the principle of reductio ad absurdum. Have never heard of it.
reductio ad absurdum is a method of proving the falsity of a premise by showing that its logical consequence is absurd or contradictory.

An example of reductio ad absurdum would be a an anti-Equal Rights advocate claiming that anyone in favor of an Equal Right Amendment must be in favor of killing babies. The reductio ad absurdum fallacy is similar to the straw person fallacy.

Can't you do your own research?

Never heard of anyone teaching something that is called "God's death law". I know God created man to live forever as He created man perfect, but yet with freewill. Adam lost that perfection and from that time on man was appointed to physically die and after that the judgement comes, Hebrews 9:27. Adam was cast out of the garden before he could eat of the tree of life and live forever since he brought evil into the world as sin, not Adams direct sin, was passed down through all the generations.
Glory, you may have never herd of, “God’s Sudden Dearth Law”, because such a title is not found in the Bible, this is just a title that someone put to a law that is revealed in Gen. 2:17.

Considering the brief explanation I posted on this law, and that a “All Knowing God”, will be the enforcer of it, would you agree that there could be no better way to prevent sin from ever rising again in the New Earth?

You said, “I know God created man to live forever as He created man perfect,” I don’t think this is a totally correct statement. Yes, Adam was created perfect, (and so was Lucifer, nonetheless they both sinned, right?) so that part of you statement is correct.

However, I don’t believe God created man to live forever, because God foreknew that man would sin, having freewill to do so. Therefore, He created man and angels with the, “possibility to live forever.”/conditional immortality. Since all of His created have freewill, to give them immortality as you believe would mean sinners nor fallen angels could never be destroyed. That of course is not true, as only God has immortality.(1 Tim. 6:16)

I believe this reasoning is supported by the fact that God planted the ,“Tree of Life”, in the midst of the garden, providing Adam and Eve conditional immortality (Gen.2:9) and latter Adam and Eve were bared from the garden, least they eat from it after they sinned. (Gen. 3:22,24) Therefore death over took them and their offspring, which brought and end to mans conditional immortality. But in the New Earth conditional immortality will be reinstated as saints will be given access again to the tree of life. (Rev. 22:2, 14)

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Proverbs 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Just because one does not agree with another does not mean they have no faith, it only means many lean unto their own understandings, theologies, points of view.
As do a lot of people. Most of these don’t know they are doing so but claim their thinking reflects the scripture as penned.

reductio ad absurdum is a method of proving the falsity of a premise by showing that its logical consequence is absurd or contradictory.

An example of reductio ad absurdum would be a an anti-Equal Rights advocate claiming that anyone in favor of an Equal Right Amendment must be in favor of killing babies. The reductio ad absurdum fallacy is similar to the straw person fallacy.

Can't you do your own research?
This was extremely interesting. I learned something new and thank you!!

Is that like, “you’re either for us or for the terrorists?”

Glory, you may have never herd of, “God’s Sudden Dearth Law”, because such a title is not found in the Bible, this is just a title that someone put to a law that is revealed in Gen. 2:17.

Considering the brief explanation I posted on this law, and that a “All Knowing God”, will be the enforcer of it, would you agree that there could be no better way to prevent sin from ever rising again in the New Earth?

You said, “I know God created man to live forever as He created man perfect,” I don’t think this is a totally correct statement. Yes, Adam was created perfect, (and so was Lucifer, nonetheless they both sinned, right?) so that part of you statement is correct.

However, I don’t believe God created man to live forever, because God foreknew that man would sin, having freewill to do so. Therefore, He created man and angels with the, “possibility to live forever.”/conditional immortality. Since all of His created have freewill, to give them immortality as you believe would mean sinners nor fallen angels could never be destroyed. That of course is not true, as only God has immortality.(1 Tim. 6:16)

I believe this reasoning is supported by the fact that God planted the ,“Tree of Life”, in the midst of the garden, providing Adam and Eve conditional immortality (Gen.2:9) and latter Adam and Eve were bared from the garden, least they eat from it after they sinned. (Gen. 3:22,24) Therefore death over took them and their offspring, which brought and end to mans conditional immortality. But in the New Earth conditional immortality will be reinstated as saints will be given access again to the tree of life. (Rev. 22:2, 14)
Very nice explanation and gives some insight I’d never considered. Why the tree of life…conditional immortality based upon….how they behaved. Fascinating!

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
Then why are there different theologies and denominations and opinions if we are all being taught by the HS who teaches all of us all truth? I’m not challenging scripture, I’m challenging your use of it to answer.
The problem is that some people become so indoctrinated with man's doctrines that they would rather believe a man's word instead of asking the Holy Spirit teach them. I use to let man teach me, but apart from the Holy Spirit man can not teach me anything, so eddif was right in what he said.
I have heard or read people claim the HS taught them something that was so off from scripture that it was clear they thought their own thoughts were God. I attended a Bible study once led by a woman whom I saw simply ask God to give her what to do and assumed after that that anything that popped into her head was God speaking. Zero discernment as to the difference between her thoughts and God. She did not know the voice of God from her own.

The problem is people are not taught and therefore have no discernment, not that they don’t seek a spiritual experience in reading the Bible.

The easiest thing to discern is if another person is a believer or not that this many christians cannot tell. They have to ask a person if they are not even considering that those are pretending will lie.

That is the problem. I could engage with him when he’s off and easily show that the scripture doesn’t agree with his “divinely received” teaching at times but I realized that in challenging the teaching, I’m actually challenging a cherished notion of having a divine insight others lack. I wouldn’t be challenging the idea but the man in his eyes since a divine teaching cannot be wrong.

This brings up an insight I saw over the years. A true prophet of God, who really hears from Him, never attacks those who disagree. A false prophet attacks and threatens. One can read these examples in the Bible.

I'd like to know what you mean by "rejecting the literal creation account." Saint Augustine viewed it as a metaphor since he thought God created everything instantly, not over seven days. C.S. Lewis believed in theistic evolution and applied that to the creation account, most importantly to the creation of humanity. Would you consider these two people to have rejected the literal creation account?

(My point is, of course, that neither Augustine nor Lewis could rightly be said to have a "weaker faith" and "moral failure.")
Perhaps there’s a factor of how deeply they held that view. The examples I know made it a pivotal focus of their thinking it appears, judging by how much time and energy they put into that position.

Btw, where is your evidence for Lewis thinking that? I’ve read most if not all of his christian writings and I don’t recall it. I do recall you being sometimes loose with attributing some thought to an author that actually wasn’t there.

Then why are there different theologies and denominations and opinions if we are all being taught by the HS who teaches all of us all truth? I’m not challenging scripture, I’m challenging your use of it to answer.

I have heard or read people claim the HS taught them something that was so off from scripture that it was clear they thought their own thoughts were God. I attended a Bible study once led by a woman whom I saw simply ask God to give her what to do and assumed after that that anything that popped into her head was God speaking. Zero discernment as to the difference between her thoughts and God. She did not know the voice of God from her own.

The problem is people are not taught and therefore have no discernment, not that they don’t seek a spiritual experience in reading the Bible.

The easiest thing to discern is if another person is a believer or not that this many christians cannot tell. They have to ask a person if they are not even considering that those are pretending will lie.

That is the problem. I could engage with him when he’s off and easily show that the scripture doesn’t agree with his “divinely received” teaching at times but I realized that in challenging the teaching, I’m actually challenging a cherished notion of having a divine insight others lack. I wouldn’t be challenging the idea but the man in his eyes since a divine teaching cannot be wrong.

This brings up an insight I saw over the years. A true prophet of God, who really hears from Him, never attacks those who disagree. A false prophet attacks and threatens. One can read these examples in the Bible.
Many say they are taught by the Holy Spirit as they believe their teachers are anointed by God to teach all truths, but that is not the case as all the various doctrines that are being taught do not line up with the word of God. I've been a Christian for 50 years since the age of 17 and in that time frame I have sat under many different doctrines and those who call themselves Pastor, but yet were not called to preach the word of God as some had little or no truth found in them.

Some Pastors are given by the government of their church in what they can and cannot preach as they are handed down a prepared sermon. The teaching of the Bible has become a politically correct majority rule teaching leading many astray from truth. Are we to abide in man's teachings, or are we to abide in that which the Holy Spirit wants to teach us. Each individual needs to be seeking truth through the Holy Spirit and testing the spirits of truth or error. 1John 2:27; 1 John 4:1-6.

I feel there is more that we are not seeing about the eating of the tree God told them not to eat from

here's a lot more to it. I'll be the weirdo and say II believe Genesis is to be interpreted both literally and spiritually.

So there is more to it. For me it's the realization that I should have just trusted God and not become curious and sign up for this class, lol. It'll be easier to trust the Lord more when we get home again and I bet I appreciate what the Lord has for us moreso than I was able to before, lol.

Purpose of the tree of life:
Proverbs 3: 18 the tree of life is wisdom
Proverbs 11:30 the fruit of righteousness
Proverbs 13:12 hope is the desire of the heart
Proverbs 15:4 wholesome tongue
Revelation 2:7 overcomer
Revelation 22:2 twelve fruits of the Spirit and healing of the nations
Revelation 22:14 obedience
Revelation 22:19 book of life

Now, seeing all what the tree of life was for, in Genesis 3:22-24 we read that God sent Adam out of the garden so he could not eat from the tree of life.

Why, because if God did not prevent Adam from eating of the tree of life after he had sinned, a future redemption through the physical death of Jesus Christ would not have been possible.

When Adam sinned, mankind became estranged from God and physical death entered into the world by one man, Adam, death now came to all men. If Adam had eaten from the tree of life after he sinned he would have lived forever, but he would have lived in a state of eternal estrangement from God.

God knew that man would sin as God's plan of salvation before the foundation of the world was through Christ Jesus who gave His life that we can have life eternal to all who will believe in Him, John 3:16. That could not have happened if Adam ate from the tree of life and lived forever.

Btw, where is your evidence for Lewis thinking that? I’ve read most if not all of his christian writings and I don’t recall it. I do recall you being sometimes loose with attributing some thought to an author that actually wasn’t there.
I don't understand why so many Christians deny that Lewis said this. It is well-known. Here: https://christianforums.net/threads/c-s-lewis-on-theistic-evolution-some-selections.90803/

But wait, I know why. Theistic evolution bad, C.S. Lewis good, therefore C.S. Lewis must not have been a theistic evolutionist. That's the "logical" train of thought.

Now, seeing all what the tree of life was for, in Genesis 3:22-24 we read that God sent Adam out of the garden so he could not eat from the tree of life.

Why, because if God did not prevent Adam from eating of the tree of life after he had sinned, a future redemption through the physical death of Jesus Christ would not have been possible.

When Adam sinned, mankind became estranged from God and physical death entered into the world by one man, Adam, death now came to all men. If Adam had eaten from the tree of life after he sinned he would have lived forever, but he would have lived in a state of eternal estrangement from God.

God knew that man would sin as God's plan of salvation before the foundation of the world was through Christ Jesus who gave His life that we can have life eternal to all who will believe in Him, John 3:16. That could not have happened if Adam ate from the tree of life and lived forever.

Man would have been stuck in his sin forever.

Many say they are taught by the Holy Spirit as they believe their teachers are anointed by God to teach all truths, but that is not the case as all the various doctrines that are being taught do not line up with the word of God. I've been a Christian for 50 years since the age of 17 and in that time frame I have sat under many different doctrines and those who call themselves Pastor, but yet were not called to preach the word of God as some had little or no truth found in them.

Some Pastors are given by the government of their church in what they can and cannot preach as they are handed down a prepared sermon. The teaching of the Bible has become a politically correct majority rule teaching leading many astray from truth. Are we to abide in man's teachings, or are we to abide in that which the Holy Spirit wants to teach us. Each individual needs to be seeking truth through the Holy Spirit and testing the spirits of truth or error. 1John 2:27; 1 John 4:1-6.
To some degree this, of course, also true. But there are those who claim to be taught by the Holy Spirit, and these days that claim is blithely and thoughtlessly made and what they teach is far away from the scripture. I think the problem is people do not search the scriptures to see if these things be so. Now it says "scriptures" which means the whole of the scriptures, not isolated verses plucked out of larger and different context. I think this is also a problem. I sat under men and women of God who actually heard from God. The difference is noticeable but one needs to think as well as test the things being taught. Think means think further than what is said to the logical conclusion of their statements. The truth stands up to this. Lies do not. But one has to be willing to think. That is rare.

You wrote, "A true prophet of God, who really hears from Him, never attacks those who disagree." I suggest that you go back and read the words of the prophets. Here are some examples...

"Destructive forces will come against her false prophets; they will be shown to be fools! Destructive forces will come against her soldiers; they will be filled with terror!" Jeremiah 50:36

"Then the Lord’s message came to me: “Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel who are now prophesying. Say to the prophets who prophesy from their imagination: ‘Listen to the Lord’s message! This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Woe to the foolish prophets who follow their own spirit but have seen nothing!" Ezekiel 13:1-3

"Her prophets coat their messages with whitewash. They see false visions and announce lying omens for them, saying, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says,’ when the Lord has not spoken." Ezekiel 22:28

"You stumble day and night, and the false prophets stumble with you; you have destroyed your own people." Hosea 4:5

"“Watch out for false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are voracious wolves. You will recognize them by their fruit. Grapes are not gathered from thorns or figs from thistles, are they?" Matthew 7:15-16 (spoken by Jesus).

"
For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. Remember, I have told you ahead of time." Matthew 24:24-25 (spoken by Jesus)

"
For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, the elect. Be careful! I have told you everything ahead of time." Mark 13:22-23 (same verse, spoken by Jesus"

"But false prophets arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. These false teachers will infiltrate your midst with destructive heresies, even to the point of denying the Master who bought them. As a result, they will bring swift destruction on themselves." 2 Peter 2:1

"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to determine if they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world." 1 John 4:1

Last edited by a moderator:
To some degree this, of course, also true. But there are those who claim to be taught by the Holy Spirit, and these days that claim is blithely and thoughtlessly made and what they teach is far away from the scripture. I think the problem is people do not search the scriptures to see if these things be so. Now it says "scriptures" which means the whole of the scriptures, not isolated verses plucked out of larger and different context. I think this is also a problem. I sat under men and women of God who actually heard from God. The difference is noticeable but one needs to think as well as test the things being taught. Think means think further than what is said to the logical conclusion of their statements. The truth stands up to this. Lies do not. But one has to be willing to think. That is rare.
Some hear, some don't and some only think they heard. All is evident when we learn how to Spiritually discern what others are trying to teach us as it has to line up with scripture.

In one church I use to attend we had a phrase "SMO" meaning Sunday morning only people. They take their Bible off the shelf and dust it off and carry it proudly to Church like a good little Christian, but yet void of any of the teachings it contains. Why, because they would rather listen to a man preach for an hour believing everything that comes from the pulpit instead of searching the scriptures for themselves. There is a very bad spirit of Jezebel that runs rampant in many churches that teaches doctrine of the Nicolaitans. God warned of of these types.

Back to post 1
Matthew 22:37 kjv
37: Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

At last bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh
Genesis 2:21 kjv
21. And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

Why put Adam to sleep? Sounds like surgery prep to me. Then why fill up a metaphor with flesh?

Off to a Mississippi rib shack
The ribs we eat have a lot of meat you have to gnaw off.
Right next to emotions (in heart)?

Which bone would be chosen for the genetics and symbolism?

I still continue to believe Adam and Eve were living souls, and maybe John the Baptist was the first Spirit filled person.

IMHO Adam:
Had a body
Breath of physical life
Carnal mind
Mans will
Human emotions
Had God as a teacher

Spiritual gifts seem not to be evident. Eve was deceived ( no discernment). Adam had no word of knowledge or wisdom.

What was giving Adam long life?
Genesis 3:24 kjv
24. So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

If you do no know how to look up the passage someone will post it (?).

Their physical death was coming. Out of the garden and away from the tree of life they would die. They were not created immortal.

If my timeline is off or you need more information ask. Someone can help.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

You wrote, "A true prophet of God, who really hears from Him, never attacks those who disagree." I suggest that you go back and read the words of the prophets. Here are some examples...

"Destructive forces will come against her false prophets; they will be shown to be fools! Destructive forces will come against her soldiers; they will be filled with terror!" Jeremiah 50:36
This is for one, God, not Jeremiah, doing this as punishment and two, God actually saying this. He had more to say about false prophets that would apply to these so-called “school of the prophets” who teach how to be a lying prophet.
"Then the Lord’s message came to me: “Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel who are now prophesying. Say to the prophets who prophesy from their imagination: ‘Listen to the Lord’s message! This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Woe to the foolish prophets who follow their own spirit but have seen nothing!" Ezekiel 13:1-3
Notice this is the LORD’S message, not Jeremiah getting peeved at being disagreed with.
"Her prophets coat their messages with whitewash. They see false visions and announce lying omens for them, saying, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says,’ when the Lord has not spoken." Ezekiel 22:28
Yup. Lying prophets flatter. I have seen this from Bethel “prophets.”
"You stumble day and night, and the false prophets stumble with you; you have destroyed your own people." Hosea 4:5
Yup. The fruit of lying prophets (or likely self-deceived as to their being a prophet at all), destroy others.
"“Watch out for false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are voracious wolves. You will recognize them by their fruit. Grapes are not gathered from thorns or figs from thistles, are they?" Matthew 7:15-16 (spoken by Jesus).
Yes!!! That’s what I said. You’ll know them by how they behave in adversity.
"For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. Remember, I have told you ahead of time." Matthew 24:24-25 (spoken by Jesus)

"
For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, the elect. Be careful! I have told you everything ahead of time." Mark 13:22-23 (same verse, spoken by Jesus"

"But false prophets arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. These false teachers will infiltrate your midst with destructive heresies, even to the point of denying the Master who bought them. As a result, they will bring swift destruction on themselves." 2 Peter 2:1

"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to determine if they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world." 1 John 4:1
Amen!!! Amen!!! Oh that the christians would do this!!! Oh that the shepherds would teach this!!! Yes, my heart aches for my brethren to learn this!!

You don’t understand the matter. Here is how a false prophet reacts when being disagreed with, for example. It’s a character question:

... Zedekiah son of Kenaanah walked up to Micaiah and slapped him across the face. "Since when did the Spirit of the LORD leave me to speak to you?" he demanded.

A true prophet does not do this.

Last edited:
Glory, all the texts from Proverbs are written in Allegorical langue, not literal.

Prov. 3:18, She[wisdom] is a tree of Live.

Prov. 11:30, The "fruit" of the righteous is a tree of life. (Nobodies righteousness can produce a literal tree of life. If that were possible there would be many trees of life, absurd.)

Prov. 13:12, ...but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life. ( No fulfilled longing can become the literal tree of life, makes no sense.)

Prov. 15: the soothing tongue is a tree of life. ( No soothing tongue can be booth a tongue and a literal tree of life.)

Offering up these texts from Proverbs in support of your position is poor scholarship on your part, I think.

The texts from Rev. all deal with the literal "tree of life." Rev. 22:2, nor any other biblical texts that I'm aware of, say that the twelve fruits, one for each month, are "fruits of the spirit", as you claim.

The other texts from Rev. all deal with having the right to the "tree of live. Why is that so important? Because one must eat of it continually to have everlasting life. it's know as conditional immortality.

Do you believe that only God has immortality?

Glory, all the texts from Proverbs are written in Allegorical langue, not literal.

Prov. 3:18, She[wisdom] is a tree of Live.

Prov. 11:30, The "fruit" of the righteous is a tree of life. (Nobodies righteousness can produce a literal tree of life. If that were possible there would be many trees of life, absurd.)

Prov. 13:12, ...but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life. ( No fulfilled longing can become the literal tree of life, makes no sense.)

Prov. 15: the soothing tongue is a tree of life. ( No soothing tongue can be booth a tongue and a literal tree of life.)

Offering up these texts from Proverbs in support of your position is poor scholarship on your part, I think.

The texts from Rev. all deal with the literal "tree of life." Rev. 22:2, nor any other biblical texts that I'm aware of, say that the twelve fruits, one for each month, are "fruits of the spirit", as you claim.

The other texts from Rev. all deal with having the right to the "tree of live. Why is that so important? Because one must eat of it continually to have everlasting life. it's know as conditional immortality.

Do you believe that only God has immortality?
I realize I wear this out
The literal tree was in Eden
Jesus grew up as a root out of dry ground
New Jerusalem is in our mind the cerebellum looks like a tree inside if you do a midsection dissection ( physical).
The river of spinal fluid flows past the cerebellum.

We do not live by bread alone but by every word that precedes out of the mouth of God.

Words are processed in our brain.

First the physical then the spiritual
1 Corinthians 15:45 kjv
45. And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
46. Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
47. The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

There are at least two levels:
The physical
The spiritual

In between we seeme to have other levels
Mental?
Social?

The seed - physical = Word of God - spiritual
The Ground = mens hearts Matthew 13 Mark 4

eddif

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00