Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study God does not select before the womb

for_his_glory

Fight the good fight of faith
2024 Supporter
God does not select before the womb those who will spend eternity with Him or those who will be cast into the lake of fire. God is a sovereign God that in his love and patience for us would not want anyone to perish and only God knows the intents of the heart as he alone judges us, 2 Peter 3:9. God wants all of us to come to repentance, but not everyone will for the way they are raised from birth. Many babies are born into families that have rejected God and will be raised to also come against Him as their hearts are hardened. Although, a hardened heart can be changed if given proper nourishment.

Age of accountability is nowhere found in the Bible and is a preconception that only leads to speculation. Infant baptism is also unscriptural as a baby can not know faith and regeneration as this takes place at the same point in time. A baby can not be covered by the blood of Jesus until they come into the knowledge of good and evil and accept Him as Lord and Savior. Many use Ephesians 1:4, 5 to support this, but that is not what these verses are saying. These two verses are very similar to that of 2 Peter 3:9 that through Gods love he breathed his breath (spirit) into us when we first came from the womb making us a living soul and that he would want us to be holy and without blame. Staying holy without blame is through repentance and acceptance that brings us to that adoption that is in Christ Jesus thus we were made for Gods good pleasure.

Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
Zechariah 12:1 The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, saith the LORD, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him.

A baby can not inherit the sin of the parents, but are born with a sin nature. Adams sin was imputed to every one of us as there is none that are righteous, babies included, Romans 5:12-18. Psalms 58:3 says, The wicked are estranged (turn from God) from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies. Who taught a child to lie or be rebellious against their parents? It's that sin nature that causes a child to do this. Psalms 51:5 says, Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. The only thing God gave us at birth was His very breath (spirit) that made us a living soul and it's that breath that goes back to God when we die as he preserves it in judgment until the coming of the Lord, Ecclesiastes 12:7.

Rom 9:11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)

In the OT and NT God did specifically call out certain prophets and disciples by name as he elected them before they were even formed in the womb. This does not make God a respecter of person, it just means they were called for Gods purpose as they were the Hebrew children of promise through the seed of Abraham being of that same covenant God made with Abraham in Genesis 12:1-3. We being formed in the womb as a Gentile and given the breath (spirit) of God for us to be a living soul can now through Christ Jesus be grafted into that seed of Abraham that we to can be a part of Gods covenant promises to that of a thousand generations.

Do all babies go to be with the Lord when they die? The answer is no, John 3:13. Remember, God only gives breath (spirit), but doesn't decide who a baby is born to. Two examples of babies that have died and also will be raised from the grave to stand in Gods white throne judgment all we have to do is look at the story of the Amalekites and their children in Deuteronomy 2:24-34. God even had the babies killed in battle as they would have also grown up to come against God and his people. It’s the same as the firstborn of the Egyptians in Exodus 11. God saved His own from being killed. This was all Gods judgment against those who come out against him. Just as today those babies that die, even though they have no knowledge of good and evil yet, are also those who will be trained to come against God.

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Do all babies go to be with the Lord when they die? The answer is no, John 3:13.

I don’t see where John 3:13 has anything to do with babies going to heaven.

A closer examination of the parable of the wheat and tares may shed some light on this subject.

I would say, all babies who are “good seeds” will go to heaven when they die, whether after birth or being aborted.

He answered and said to them: “He who sows the good seed is the Son of Man. The field is the world, the good seeds are the sons of the kingdom, but the tares are the sons of the wicked one. The enemy who sowed them is the devil, the harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are the angels.
Matthew 13:37-39

JLB

Our Bible study group was consoling a young female member of our group. Her sister had just had a miscarriage.
A seventy year old member, a staunch Calvinist, “consoled” her by saying that God in His sovereignty chooses some miscarried and aborted babies to go to heaven and others to go to hell. It was not, in my opinion, a great way to console the young woman. And I can’t make myself or desire to believe God has an urge to exercise His sovereignty that way.

Jeremiah may have something to say about your assertion about predestination.
Does Jeremiah close his statement about being known and chosen by saying “like everyone else”?
I mean can’t God choose in His sovereignty to choose some specifically for a specific purpose yet allow others an actual choice?

Our Bible study group was consoling a young female member of our group. Her sister had just had a miscarriage.
A seventy year old member, a staunch Calvinist, “consoled” her by saying that God in His sovereignty chooses some miscarried and aborted babies to go to heaven and others to go to hell. It was not, in my opinion, a great way to console the young woman. And I can’t make myself or desire to believe God has an urge to exercise His sovereignty that way.
That really doesn't line up with Calvinistic theology, as Covenant theology (which is one of the doctrines under Calvinism) suggests the child is covered even if one parent is a believer.

Does Jeremiah close his statement about being known and chosen by saying “like everyone else”?
I mean can’t God choose in His sovereignty to choose some specifically for a specific purpose yet allow others an actual choice?

Jeremiah wrote that God knew him in his mother's womb, which is one reference Calvinism calls upon for predestination. And yes, there are those who are chosen to be believers and those who are chosen for other purposes.

I don’t see where John 3:13 has anything to do with babies going to heaven.

A closer examination of the parable of the wheat and tares may shed some light on this subject.

I would say, all babies who are “good seeds” will go to heaven when they die, whether after birth or being aborted.

He answered and said to them: “He who sows the good seed is the Son of Man. The field is the world, the good seeds are the sons of the kingdom, but the tares are the sons of the wicked one. The enemy who sowed them is the devil, the harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are the angels.
Matthew 13:37-39

JLB

John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

Jesus said that no man has ever ascended up to heaven so I have to believe what He said. It's only the breath God breathed in us that made us a living soul that returns back to Him, Genesis 2:7; Ecc 12:7.

Only God knows our beginning and our ending even with those babies who have been miscarried or aborted before receiving the breath of life. This woman was very wrong in what she told this lady as God only weaves us together in the womb. He does not chose who lives or dies.

When I had my miscarriage years ago it was God who gave me comfort as I can only believe there was a reason for this.

John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

Jesus said that no man has ever ascended up to heaven so I have to believe what He said. It's only the breath God breathed in us that made us a living soul that returns back to Him, Genesis 2:7; Ecc 12:7.
Context, context, context.

In that passage Christ is talking to a Jewish leader about belief, and who to believe. The part you quoted is at the heart of his point about who you should believe about certain things. He is the only One who has been in Heaven and descended to earth, so He is the only authority on what Heaven is like. There are others who have lived on this planet who have been called to Heaven (Moses, Elijah, etc...), but have not actually returned to speak to people on this earth (contrary to what the catholics believe).

Jeremiah may have something to say about your assertion about predestination.

Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

I already said this in the OP about God sanctifying His Prophets and the disciples of Christ, but should had added this scripture. They were already set apart before they were in the womb.

In that passage Christ is talking to a Jewish leader about belief, and who to believe. The part you quoted is at the heart of his point about who you should believe about certain things. He is the only One who has been in Heaven and descended to earth, so He is the only authority on what Heaven is like. There are others who have lived on this planet who have been called to Heaven (Moses, Elijah, etc...), but have not actually returned to speak to people on this earth (contrary to what the catholics believe).

In John 3:13 Jesus was telling Nicodemus that how could he understand heavenly things when he could not understand earthly things as no one has ever ascended up to heaven so no one could understand the Spiritual things until they were Spiritually born again and indwelled with the Holy Spirit who teaches us all Spiritual things.

As far as Moses, Elijah or Enoch none of them have been taken up to heaven where God sits on His throne.

Gen 5:24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

Does not say Enoch was taken up to heaven, but that he was only translated that he should not see death at that particular time being he was 365 years old. Should not see death means since Enoch walked with God he would not see the second death, Rev 20:6, but only that of the first death, Hebrews 9:27, as all his days were three hundred and sixty as he died, but no one knows where.

Deuteronomy 34:5 So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD. 6 and he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Beth-peor: but no man knoweth of his sepulcher unto this day.

2Kings 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. (Heaven here means atmosphere, first heaven)

Elijah, having ascended into the air by a whirlwind was carried away out of sight beyond the horizon. Several years after he was taken away King Jehoram received a letter from him. How long after? There are some difficulties in figuring the exact chronology as it varies from 2 to 10 years or more. A note in Josephus (a Jewish historian of the first century A.D.) says 4 years, while the JEWISH ENCYCLOPEDIA figures it at 7 years.

Regardless of the exact number of years there came writing to Jehoram from Elijah the prophet, saying..." (2Chron 21:12). Now the wickedness of Jehoram, for which he was being rebuked in the letter, took place after Elijah was taken away, yet the letter speaks of these things as past events, and the punishment to come upon him as yet future. So the idea of some, that Elijah wrote the letter before he was removed by the whirlwind, is proved wrong.

Elijah was taken up by the whirlwind into the first heaven and transported to another location on Earth. God did not see fit in His purpose to reveal his whereabouts. Chariot of fire is used at times figuratively for host (angels) like in 2 Kings 2:11, 12: 6:17; Psalms 68:17; 104:1-4. Elijah, by his prayers and his counsel was the "chariot of Israel and the horseman thereof", meaning Elijah was the stronghold of Israel, the driving force of God. The Israelites never used chariots till the time of David.

When you compare 2 Kings 2:11-15 with 2 Kings 6:17 you see that God sent the host/angels down to Elijah who caught him up in a whirlwind and translated him to parts unknown. Several years after he was taken away King Jehoram received a letter from him.

2 Chronicles Chapter 21 - Jehoram, being the son of Jehoshaphat, was 32 when he began his reign in Israel. He married Ahab's daughter and was a wicked king who reigned for eight years. According to scripture Elijah was taken up in a whirlwind, 2 Kings 2:11-13. The heaven Elijah went up to was only the first heaven being the atmosphere as there are three heavens described in scripture as the throne of God is in the third heaven. A whirlwind can only happen within the atmosphere of the first heaven. During the reign of Jehoram he received a letter from Elijah, 2 Chronicles 21:12-15. How could he receive a letter from Elijah if he was with God in the third heaven? Elijah being caught up to heaven is the same as Phillip being caught up in the first heaven and carried thirty miles away, Acts 8:39, 40. The only difference is that when the fifty men searched for Elijah they could not find him as he was translated further than their search. Phillip was found within the thirty mile radius where he was translated to.

Yes at the time, the saints were contained in the heart of the earth, Abraham’s Bosom.

However, after He was resurrected, they ascended to heaven with Him, where the saints await the Day of the Lord, when they return with Him, at the resurrection and rapture on the last day.

But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 4:13-14

• God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.

And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses. Revelation 19:14

And then He will send His angels, and gather together His elect from the four winds, from the farthest part of earth to the farthest part of heaven. Mark 13:27

• and gather together His elect from the four winds, from the farthest part of earth to the farthest part of heaven.

Christians who die go to heaven.

So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight. We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.
2 Corinthians 5:6-8

• yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

JLB

Age of accountability is nowhere found in the Bible and is a preconception that only leads to speculation.
Perhaps in the way you read and understand portions of Gods word, so I think the best you can say is you don't agree with brothers and sisters in Christ like myself who do see the age of accountability within scripture.

God does not select before the womb those who will spend eternity with Him or those who will be cast into the lake of fire.

I think this is just poor wording as you alluded to prophets like John the Baptist below.

A baby can not be covered by the blood of Jesus until they come into the knowledge of good and evil and accept Him as Lord and Savior.
If an infant knows not the knowledge of good and evil, then wouldn't they be at par with Adam and Eve prior to their disobedience? As your aware, David lost his infant and without wandering, knew his child was with God.

A baby can not inherit the sin of the parents, but are born with a sin nature.
You will need to define how you are using the term sin nature. Adam and Eve had the propensity to sin from the moment of creation, and they did sin. Only Jesus himself was without sin, and yes, Jesus was fully tempted, yet did not sin. When Eve was tempted, she not only sinned, but led Adam into sin as well.

In the OT and NT God did specifically call out certain prophets and disciples by name as he elected them before they were even formed in the womb. This does not make God a respecter of person, it just means they were called for Gods purpose as they were the Hebrew children of promise through the seed of Abraham being of that same covenant God made with Abraham in Genesis 12:1-3.
Job and his friends were gentiles and not under the covenant with Abraham. This shows us that those outside of Abraham can have a relationship with God and be saved. John 10:16
This does not detract from the promise to Abraham and Jesus fulfills that promise which lines up with John 10:16.

Do all babies go to be with the Lord when they die? The answer is no,
While I understand you mean well, this is very cruel to say with such authority.
In 1988 I lost my firstborn at 4 months old. My cousin who was catholic told me about infant baptism and because my daughter was not baptized, I had no way of knowing if my beloved daughter was in heaven or tormenting in hell. In addition to the suffering of losing my child, my suffering was compounded not knowing if my child, whome I deeply loved was suffering in the flames of hell. I can attest to you that although you mean well, you are creating a stumbling block and additional suffering. It's mean, and it's cruel regardless of how well intended your trying to be.

Adams sin was imputed to every one of us as there is none that are righteous
Sin was not imputed until the law, according to Romans 5:13

Psalms 51:5 says, Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
I would like to study this chapter with you. Why do you think David says this? To what exactly is he referring to? What is prompting him to write this?

What about NDE?

Perhaps in the way you read and understand portions of Gods word, so I think the best you can say is you don't agree with brothers and sisters in Christ like myself who do see the age of accountability within scripture.

I think this is just poor wording as you alluded to prophets like John the Baptist below.

If an infant knows not the knowledge of good and evil, then wouldn't they be at par with Adam and Eve prior to their disobedience? As your aware, David lost his infant and without wandering, knew his child was with God.

You will need to define how you are using the term sin nature. Adam and Eve had the propensity to sin from the moment of creation, and they did sin. Only Jesus himself was without sin, and yes, Jesus was fully tempted, yet did not sin. When Eve was tempted, she not only sinned, but led Adam into sin as well.

Job and his friends were gentiles and not under the covenant with Abraham. This shows us that those outside of Abraham can have a relationship with God and be saved. John 10:16
This does not detract from the promise to Abraham and Jesus fulfills that promise which lines up with John 10:16.

While I understand you mean well, this is very cruel to say with such authority.
In 1988 I lost my firstborn at 4 months old. My cousin who was catholic told me about infant baptism and because my daughter was not baptized, I had no way of knowing if my beloved daughter was in heaven or tormenting in hell. In addition to the suffering of losing my child, my suffering was compounded not knowing if my child, whome I deeply loved was suffering in the flames of hell. I can attest to you that although you mean well, you are creating a stumbling block and additional suffering. It's mean, and it's cruel regardless of how well intended your trying to be.

I would like to study this chapter with you. Why do you think David says this? To what exactly is he referring to? What is prompting him to write this?

I agree. You don't tell a grieving parent that you think there's a possibility that their child might be in Hell no matter what you believe because it's very mean, cruel, and heartless. For the record though I believe that every child and infant who doesn't understand right from wrong goes to Heaven because God loves them and He isn't cruel or heartless in the slightest.

Same with our pets. They don't have the ability to know what sin is so why would God create them and then send them all to Hell? You can be rested assured that you will see your daughter again someday and she's being well taken care of. :)

As much as I have looked for specific scripture on the age of accountability I have yet to find any. Although I believe a baby would be no different then any other that are mentally challenged not being able to understand that of good and evil, but yet I can not ignore what is written in Psalms 51:5; 58:3. Only God knows our beginning from our end and His judgments are righteous. About David saying he will go to his child someday, IMO since God struck his child to be sick because of David's sin against God and then die I think it means that David can only hope he will see his son in heaven. It's just like me having a miscarriage, I can only hope I will hold my baby in my arms someday. It's just how I see it as I could be wrong.

When I said God does not select before the womb those who will spend eternity with Him or those who will be cast into the lake of fire this has nothing to do with God specifically calling His elect, as in Prophets and the 12 disciples as I think this is what Romans 9:11 is saying.

Ezekiel 18:20 we do not bear the sin of our parents, but yet are born with a nature to sin that we inherited from Adam as sin entered into the world by him, Romans 5:12.

I wasn't referring to Job who was a prophet to the Gentiles as I was only speaking about the Hebrew/Jew prophets, but like you pointed out God also elected Gentile prophets before they were formed in the womb.

I don't want to sound cruel and please do not take it that way as I also lost a child through miscarriage and can only hope I will be with him/her in the New Jerusalem. It's just that I don't know for sure according to what Psalms 58:3 says, The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies. I don't see all babies being born wicked . We also have to consider Proverbs 22:6 in how a baby is trained within the family environment they are born into. A child being born to someone like you and me would be brought up knowing Jesus and then they would have to make their own decision later to accept Him or reject Him. Other babies would not even know the name of Jesus being spoken from birth and as they grow will imitate that of what they see their parents do. I'm just trying to be real with how I see all of this.

Romans 5:13 God gave Adam one command (law) to not eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, but Adam sinned against God as being disobedient to what God told him not to do so I see this as the law came first before the sin.

Psalms 51 is about David expressing deep sorrow for his sins after Nathan came unto him after he had gone in to Bathsheba. He was confessing to God and asking for forgiveness and guidance. Vs. 5 he knew he was born into sin, meaning born into a sin filled world and he choose to sin against God having Bathsheba's husband killed and taking her for his wife after he got her pregnant.

I do not want to cause a stumbling block and if this thread is doing this then I will delete it.

I do not want to cause a stumbling block and if this thread is doing this then I will delete it.
No, let's not delete it. Rather, let us discuss it as those mature in the faith. Those weak in their faith are already stumbling and Lord willing, they will find solid ground.

I am secure in my belief and have no doubt that any infant that has passed is with God. Likewise, I am secure in my faith that no child is in hell. My position is not to win an argument with you nor anyone who believes as you, which is many.

If you would afford me the lead, let us talk about Psalms 51, since that is the passage I am most familiar with.

First, what is the context of this passage? What is driving David to write this?

Can we start here, and mine the wisdom contained within Psalms 51 before ascribing it to a doctrine or theology?

Yes at the time, the saints were contained in the heart of the earth, Abraham’s Bosom.

However, after He was resurrected, they ascended to heaven with Him, where the saints await the Day of the Lord, when they return with Him, at the resurrection and rapture on the last day.

But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 4:13-14

• God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.

And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses. Revelation 19:14

And then He will send His angels, and gather together His elect from the four winds, from the farthest part of earth to the farthest part of heaven. Mark 13:27

• and gather together His elect from the four winds, from the farthest part of earth to the farthest part of heaven.

Christians who die go to heaven.

So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight. We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.
2 Corinthians 5:6-8

• yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

JLB

Does what you say here contradict John 5:28, 29 that happens on the last day when Christ returns?

What you say here would contradict John 5:28, 29 that happens on the last day when Christ returns?

John 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, 29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Rev 19:14 are the army of angels that return with Christ as He sends them out to the four corners of the earth to gather all who are a sleep and still alive as we are then caught up to the clouds to meet Him in the air, Matthew 24:29-31; 1 Corinthians 15:51-58; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18.

When we die it is only our breath that goes back to God who gave it that made us a living soul, Genesis 2:7; Ecc 12:7.

Back