Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Have Tongues Ceased?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Josef

Hey All,
I have questions about the use of the gift of tongues. I see them used in
Acts 2:2-4. (First recorded usage, that I know, of the gift.)

Acts 2:2-4 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

I have never seen this happen, in the way described, at any church service I have attended. I have heard a person speak gibberish and call it tongues. And I have heard a person give an interpretation of the gibberish without any verifiable way to know if the interpretation is real.

Shouldn't the crowd's reaction in Acts 2:5-7 be mine; and the congregation's reaction as a whole?

Acts 2:5-7 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

Shouldn't I be amazed? Shouldn't I marvel at its occurance? Ths is a gift from the Holy Spirit.

1. How is speaking gibberish without interpretation edifying?
2. How does it build me up as a believer if I cannot understand it?
3. How, if only one person interpreted the gibberish, do I know, verifiably, what was said is true?
(I like the way Paul metaphorically asks this:
1 Corinthians 14:8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?)

Let me illustrate.

I only know English fluently, and I am in a meeting with a group that only speak German, and I am speaking to them in English, they need a translator so they can understand what I said.
When in that meeting I say:
"Hello, blessed be the name of Jesus."
" Then if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." (Romans 10:9)

But insteadof English, and through no interpreter, the crowd hears me my speach as German:

"Hallo, gesegnet sei der Name Jesu."

Römer 10:9 Wenn du mit deinem Mund Jesus als Herrn bekennst und in deinem Herzen glaubst, dass Gott ihn von den Toten auferweckt hat, wirst du gerettet werden.

While another person in the the crowd perhaps who only speaks Spanish, and again with no interpretor, they hear the same English speach as:

"Hola, bendito sea el nombre de Jesús."

"Romanos 10:9 Que si confiesas con tu boca que Jesús es el Señor, y crees en tu corazón que Dios le levantó de los muertos, serás salvo."

I believe this would qualify as amazing and marvelous.
1. It wouldn't be gibberish.
2. It would be edifying. (build my understanding)
3. What was said would be verifyable as true, through the interpretor, the crowd, and the Bible.

I have never seen this at any church service I have attended.

Can any evangelist say that this version of the gift of tongues happened to them?
Are there any missionaries out there that can verifiably say this happened to them?

Shouldn't there be a continuity with the gift in Acts and what is porported to be the gift today?

So I ask: Does this gift still exist in the world today?

1 Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

Have tongues ceased?

What is your understanding?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Let me illustrate.

I only know English fluently, and I am in a meeting with a group that only speak German, and I am speaking to them in English, they need a translator so they can understand what I said.
" Then if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." (Romans 10:9)

But insteadof English, and through no interpreter, the crowd hears me my speach as German:

Römer 10:9 Wenn du mit deinem Mund Jesus als Herrn bekennst und in deinem Herzen glaubst, dass Gott ihn von den Toten auferweckt hat, wirst du gerettet werden.

While another person in the the crowd perhaps who only speaks Spanish, and again with no interpretor, they hear the same English speach as:

"Romanos 10:9 Que si confiesas con tu boca que Jesús es el Señor, y crees en tu corazón que Dios le levantó de los muertos, serás salvo."

3. What was said would be verifyable as true, through the interpretor, the crowd, and the Bible.

What you have described is a miracle of hearing not a gift of tongues . A Gift of Tongues the Holy Spirit gives the utterance .

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

I have never seen this happen, in the way described, at any church service I have attended.
How many church services have you attended in churches that the signs Gifts of The Holy Spirit were still in evidence ?

I do have a report from the mission field I read about .

There was a missionary in a village where there were no English speakers except the missionary . One day the missionary was in his hut when heard Psalm 23 being said outside in perfect English . He thought ," Oh my ! There is English speaking person in the village and I will go talk to them ! " Upon going outside the missionary found one of the local villagers with his arms raised up saying Psalm 23 in tongues , which for the villager was English !

Psalms 23
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Have tongues ceased?

There're an "early rain" and a "latter rain", baptism of the Holy Spirit in Acts 2 was the early rain, in the end there will another downpour of the Holy Spirit like that at the end times. It's likely gonna be fulfilled by the two witnesses.

I will give you the rain for your land in its season, the early rain and the latter rain, that you may gather in your grain, your new wine, and your oil. (Deut. 11:14)

Be glad then, you children of Zion,
And rejoice in the Lord your God;
For He has given you the former rain faithfully,
And He will cause the rain to come down for you—
The former rain,
And the latter rain in the first month. (Joel 2:23)

Hey All,
I have never seen this happen, in the way described, at any church service I have attended. I have heard a person speak gibberish and call it tongues. And I have heard a person give an interpretation of the gibberish without any verifiable way to know if the interpretation is real.
Shouldn't the crowd's reaction in Acts 2:5-7 be mine; and the congregation's reaction as a whole?
The person speaking in tongues should have known beforehand if there were any new, unearned, people attending the service before speaking in tongues.
Speaking in tongues, in public, should only be done if there is an interpreter.
Acts 2:5-7 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
Shouldn't I be amazed? Shouldn't I marvel at its occurance? Ths is a gift from the Holy Spirit.
If there were foreigners there who said they understood the tongues, you should have been amazed.
It isn't, when done in public.
Your own speaking in tongues, during private prayers, would be edifying.
It can't.
3. How, if only one person interpreted the gibberish, do I know, verifiably, what was said is true?
1 Corinthians 14:8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?)
If you have the same Spirit the speaker and interpreter have, you will know it is true.
Let me illustrate.
But instead of English, and through no interpreter, the crowd hears me my speach as German:
I agree.
Not to the German.
If you spoke German it would be.
Agreed.
Neither have I.
Can any evangelist say that this version of the gift of tongues happened to them?
Are there any missionaries out there that can verifiably say this happened to them?
Shouldn't there be a continuity with the gift in Acts and what is porported to be the gift today?
Perhaps, but many aspects of the incident need to be present.
Real Christians.
Real interpreters.
Real need for the message being interpreted.
I would never say "no".
1 Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
Have tongues ceased?
Not the "individual prayer between man and God" kind of tongues.
And just because I have never witnessed tongues being interpreted in a group setting, doesn't mean it doesn't still happen.
See above.

Hey All,
I did see the post Hopeful 2, How wonderful that must have been? The gift of tongues, given to the villagers, is being used to edify the missionary(s). That, described, is the opposite of how tongues were used in Acts 2:7-8. The crowd heard the "Galilaeans" speaking in their own language; obviously the apostles. Perhaps, in this case, it was the missionary that needed edifying. It must be frustrating to only speak one language, and minister to those who don't. Hearing Psalm 23 in my language, coming from people who do not know how to speak it, would surely cure the frustration. Way cool.

"It isn't, when done in public.
Your own speaking in tongues, during private prayers, would be edifying." Quote from Hopful2

May I ask how?
How do the words build you up , if you don't understand it?
I have never been moved to pray in an unknown language privately, or publicly. I seem not to have that particular gift of the Spirit. I am trying to understand it.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Hey All,
I did see the post Hopeful 2, How wonderful that must have been? The gift of tongues, given to the villagers, is being used to edify the missionary(s). That, described, is the opposite of how tongues were used in Acts 2:7-8. The crowd heard the "Galilaeans" speaking in their own language; obviously the apostles. Perhaps, in this case, it was the missionary that needed edifying. It must be frustrating to only speak one language, and minister to those who don't. Hearing Psalm 23 in my language, coming from people who do not know how to speak it, would surely cure the frustration. Way cool.

"It isn't, when done in public.
Your own speaking in tongues, during private prayers, would be edifying." Quote from Hopful2

May I ask how?
How do the words build you up , if you don't understand it?
I have never been moved to pray in an unknown language privately, or publicly. I seem not to have that particular gift of the Spirit. I am trying to understand it.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
The knowledge that God is in me makes me feel great, loved, and like I am still holding up my end of the deal.
I don't need to understand what the Spirit says, for I know He is speaking to God about, and for my own good.
I will continue to pray that some day I may interpret what the Spirit says, but only in regard to helping those around me...to their profit.

Hi Josef

I believe that they have certainly been less seen. I also question if their purpose is still there, and certainly where I have seen tongues, which is very, very rare, I don't see them being used as the Scriptures seem to say that they will. Those that I witness seem to be expressing more joy in their spirit with the Spirit of deposit within us. It's rather the same thing that I do when I sing. I do feel an emotional closeness to God and express that with hands of supplication spread out to Him. The Scriptures speak often as to our using our hands to express our love for Him through praise and prayer and singing and jubilee. I think that a lot of the tongues heard today are more of their way of praising God.

But they don't ever have an interpretation in the times that I've witnessed. So, for that purpose, which we find is a valid purpose in the Scriptures, I don't believe that tongues still exist. However, I freely admit that I practice my worship with a southern baptist affiliated fellowship. We don't teach or encourage the gift much... either. Others have different understandings of the gift's purpose and usefulness and that's fine. I know that if God wants me to speak in tongues then He'll give me something to say. I certainly don't see that it's ever been something that every believer has to have/experience. Certainly not as I read through the book of the Acts of the Apostles. Paul even speaks of it as something that not everyone will have. He writes to us that 'if' someone speaks in tongues, not 'when'. But he's also the one that instructs us on this ceasing of tongues.

When will that be? Why not now? I mean Paul ties this ending of these gifts into the fact that Jesus is now here. That God now speaks to us through His Son. But I'm mindful of Paul's caution to us on the matter.

"Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. "

So, I would never forbid it or tell someone to stop speaking in tongues if they felt so led.

God bless,
Ted

Hey All,

Acts 2:2-4 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Let me illustrate.

Have tongues ceased?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Responding to Josef regarding the Gift of Tongues in Calvinism​

Understanding Josef's Questions:

Josef raises important questions about the gift of tongues, particularly its contemporary manifestation compared to its depiction in Acts 2. His concerns about gibberish, edification, and verifiable interpretation resonate with many. Let's address them through a Calvinist lens, drawing on Scripture and resources.

Calvinist Views on Tongues:

Calvinist theologians hold diverse views on the gift of tongues. Some, like John Calvin himself, believed that extraordinary gifts like tongues served a temporary purpose in the early church to establish its legitimacy and spread the gospel. They argue that with Scripture now complete and the church established, these specific gifts have ceased. Others, within the Cessationist camp, acknowledge the possibility of contemporary tongues but emphasize the need for proper interpretation and order in church services (1 Corinthians 14:27-28). Still others, within the Continuationist camp, believe that all spiritual gifts, including tongues, remain available to Christians today and should be exercised responsibly for edification (1 Corinthians 14:1-5).

Responding to Josef's Points:

1. Gibberish and Edification: Calvinists generally agree that speaking unintelligible gibberish without interpretation isn't edifying (1 Corinthians 14:9). It might be a personal experience for the speaker, but it doesn't build up the church.
  2. Verifiable Interpretation: Calvinists emphasize the importance of clear and meaningful interpretations, whether spontaneous or prepared (1 Corinthians 14:27-28). The interpretation should align with Scripture and edify the church. Josef's example of different languages being understood by specific individuals aligns with the interpretation of tongues for specific audiences in Acts 2, but such occurrences are rare and require careful discernment.
  3. Continuity with Acts: Cessationists argue that the purpose and context of tongues in Acts 2 differ from its supposed modern manifestations. In Acts, it facilitated communication across languages, while today, it often lacks clear understanding and edification. Continuationists, however, believe that the Holy Spirit can still grant the gift for specific purposes today, though not necessarily in the same way as in Acts.
  4. Cessation of Tongues: 1 Corinthians 13:8 is a debated passage. Cessationists interpret it as indicating the temporary nature of tongues, along with prophecies and special knowledge. Continuationists argue that these gifts will cease ultimately but can still exist in the present age.

Calvinist Resources:

• John Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion: Book IV, Chapters 5-6 explore spiritual gifts, including tongues.
  • Westminster Confession of Faith: Chapters 29-32 address spiritual gifts and their proper use.
  • Bavinck, Herman. Reformed Dogmatics. Volume 4, Chapter 21 delves into the nature and purpose of tongues.

Conclusion:

The question of tongues in contemporary Christianity remains a point of ongoing debate within Calvinism and broader Christian circles. Each individual should study Scripture, consider the arguments of different positions, and pray for discernment to form their own convictions. Ultimately, whether the gift of tongues still exists, and how it should be manifested, remain questions requiring faith, humility, and reliance on the Holy Spirit's guidance.

They spoke known foreign languages "as the Spirit" allowed. This doesn't mean they could speak every language on earth. If no one in the congration could understand a language it would be useless gibberish.

However, I freely admit that I practice my worship with a southern baptist affiliated fellowship. We don't teach or encourage the gift much... either.
And yet I have two Baptist friends that both told almost the same story of how they knew there was more that God could give them in their prayer life and they both were given the Gift of Tongues .
I believe that they have certainly been less seen.
It helps to look in the right place . So where are you looking ?
But they don't ever have an interpretation in the times that I've witnessed.
Did you inform them that there should have been an interpretation by someone with the Gift of Interpretation of Tongues ?
So, for that purpose, which we find is a valid purpose in the Scriptures, I don't believe that tongues still exist.
Sorry you believe that way , but you are not alone I am afraid .
But I'm mindful of Paul's caution to us on the matter.

"Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. "

So, I would never forbid it or tell someone to stop speaking in tongues if they felt so led.
They do need to follow the rules set out in scripture . But a Good bottom line from you :) .

Cessation of Tongues: 1 Corinthians 13:8 is a debated passage. Cessationists interpret it as indicating the temporary nature of tongues, along with prophecies and special knowledge. Continuationists argue that these gifts will cease ultimately but can still exist in the present age.

I was never given an opportunity to become a cessationist and here is why .
I received the Gift of Tongues at salvation, before I left the spot at the front of the church where I received my salvation . I stood there at the altar and words were wanting to come out of my mouth that were NOT my words . I was shocked and thought what is happening to me and I did not let The Holy Spirit have the utterance . Over the next few weeks I came to understand that The Holy Spirit was wanting to speak through me when I was at the altar . At a later church service anyone with a need went to the altar for prayer and I went and was prayed for and began speaking in tongues . No training , no teaching it just flowed .

Tulipbee , what was your born again experience like ?

I received the Gift of Tongues at salvation, before I left the spot at the front of the church where I received my salvation . I stood there at the altar and words were wanting to come out of my mouth that were NOT my words . I was shocked and thought what is happening to me and I did not let The Holy Spirit have the utterance . Over the next few weeks I came to understand that The Holy Spirit was wanting to speak through me when I was at the altar . At a later church service anyone with a need went to the altar for prayer and I went and was prayed for and began speaking in tongues . No training , no teaching it just flowed .

Don't you think that what really matters is the contents of your utterance, not the form of that utterance? What's the message that verifies it as an utterance of the Holy Spirit?

I dunno 🤷‍♂️
I’ve seen it once in a Pentecostal church and it reeked of fraud. Eek 😬

But I don’t know…maybe somebody in India or china or any number of other places has spoken in tongues and genuine conversions and perhaps 🤔 other divine acts followed. How would I know? CNN isn’t covering such things lol 😆

I dunno 🤷‍♂️
I’ve seen it once in a Pentecostal church and it reeked of fraud. Eek 😬

But I don’t know…maybe somebody in India or china or any number of other places has spoken in tongues and genuine conversions and perhaps 🤔 other divine acts followed. How would I know? CNN isn’t covering such things lol 😆
Does "spontaneous worship" count as speaking of tongues? You know, it's an emotional expression with random words of praise, usually uttered between repetitions in the chorus segment, that's when the song reaches the climax and the congregation is pumped up.

This first part first I guess.
Daniel 5:5 kjv
5. In the same hour came forth fingers of a man's hand, and wrote over against the candlestick upon the plaister of the wall of the king's palace: and the king saw the part of the hand that wrote.

Wrote what? A message in a tongue none of wise men of the nation could deal with.

Of course the story is more complicated than the way I wrote just one verse.

There is finally an intrepation.

The posters should read the passage before we discuss it. If anyone wants to post the whole passage in Daniel that will work too.

The spiritual gifts are seen throughout the prophets. They are scattered here and there. Jesus manifested the spiritual gifts.

Pentecost is Sons and Daughters manifesting the start of spiritual gifts by the general population of born again followers. The Holy Spirit supplied power to be witnesses. Not for wrong motives.

We might even consider the donkey speaking.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

The knowledge that God is in me makes me feel great, loved, and like I am still holding up my end of the deal.
I don't need to understand what the Spirit says, for I know He is speaking to God about, and for my own good.
I will continue to pray that some day I may interpret what the Spirit says, but only in regard to helping those around me...to their profit.
1 Corinthians 14:13 kjv
13. Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

This does not sound like a suggestion.

I flipped and flopped in the issue for years? I finally said ok may I interpret? Most just stay in tongues speaking to God in private. Which is ok.
However
Revelation 3:20 has a hint of having a meal with Jesus. As you fellowship with him ( if you opened the door), I think a form of direction develops. The desire to talk to others begins. English to English conversations are difficult. When I start talking of human anatomy Bible symbolism, it is a foreign tongue to many people. The Holy Spirit is the only way I can explain the thought to others. IMHO tongues introduces us to spiritual communication.

We have to get past Jew & Greek, male & female, bond & free. Although we are not speaking in different languages, we are speaking in different mindset areas.

There is a concept of communication that drives us to communicate with others. I am absolutely a redneck, it bothers me when I can not speak to others. I need to get into their secret mindsets. Our talking about languages / tongues is the immediate issue, we also need to get past who we are, and communicate with others in their understanding.

I am not hopefully picking on you. Hopefully I am using your post to speak to everyone.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Although I had undergone the spiritual rebirth of salvation, my experience paralleled those of many others like page 185 of https://avalonlibrary.net/ebooks/It...dulum - On the Mechanics of Consciousness.pdf

They spoke known foreign languages "as the Spirit" allowed. This doesn't mean they could speak every language on earth. If no one in the congration could understand a language it would be useless gibberish.
"Why not experience a blissful and incomprehensible state of boundless joy? What harm can come from activating the Kundalini, the divine energy within us?"

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back