Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Have Tongues Ceased?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
And yet I have two Baptist friends that both told almost the same story of how they knew there was more that God could give them in their prayer life and they both were given the Gift of Tongues .
Hi hawkman

That's great! Like I say, I don't condemn anyone who has the gift. I just made the statement, and as far as my experience over 30 years in southern baptist fellowships, tongues isn't taught much among those who gather under that denomination of the faith.
It helps to look in the right place . So where are you looking ?
Right! I think I was clear that I was speaking from my own experience in the matter. I haven't been 'looking' for people that speak in tongues at all.
Did you inform them that there should have been an interpretation by someone with the Gift of Interpretation of Tongues ?
No, that's not my place as a visitor.

Anyway, you seem to understand the gift differently than I do. Again, I don't condemn anyone who has or uses the gift of tongues.

God bless,
Ted

How is speaking gibberish without interpretation edifying?

Do you understand the difference between speaking a message in tongues with the gift of interpretation of tongues, and praying in tongues?

JLB

Don't you think that what really matters is the contents of your utterance, not the form of that utterance?
Glad you asked ! If a message from the Holy Spirit needs to be proclaimed , it will be , as I discovered :) . The Holy Spirit knew there was no one present to give an interpretation of a Tongues message in another language , so the Holy Spirit spoke the message in English , much to my surprise as you read what happened below .

A few years back I was a patient on a limited access floor of a hospital , I was in for observation , how I came to be in the hospital is an epic story . Once a day we would have a session with a leader asking a question and we would take turns giving our thoughts .
The leader asked the question and I was not first in line to answer and as I was sitting there trying to form an answer in my head it was NOT happening no matter how I tried ! I knew that something needed to be said but I could not even get two words together in my mind .
When it came for my turn to speak much to my shock my mouth opened and out came the most eloquent words and the words came out with force and precision but they were NOT my words it was the Holy Spirit giving the message in English . I am by no stretch of the imagination a good speaker , so my face had to be one of utter disbelief as the words came out of my mouth .

What's the message that verifies it as an utterance of the Holy Spirit?
The message can be just for one person or the whole congregation .

Glad you asked ! If a message from the Holy Spirit needs to be proclaimed , it will be , as I discovered :) . The Holy Spirit knew there was no one present to give an interpretation of a Tongues message in another language , so the Holy Spirit spoke the message in English , much to my surprise as you read what happened below .

A few years back I was a patient on a limited access floor of a hospital , I was in for observation , how I came to be in the hospital is an epic story . Once a day we would have a session with a leader asking a question and we would take turns giving our thoughts .
The leader asked the question and I was not first in line to answer and as I was sitting there trying to form an answer in my head it was NOT happening no matter how I tried ! I knew that something needed to be said but I could not even get two words together in my mind .
When it came for my turn to speak much to my shock my mouth opened and out came the most eloquent words and the words came out with force and precision but they were NOT my words it was the Holy Spirit giving the message in English . I am by no stretch of the imagination a good speaker , so my face had to be one of utter disbelief as the words came out of my mouth .

The message can be just for one person or the whole congregation .
Messages in English are already interpreted - from Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. skeptics and antagonists often ask, how do you know that the bible is true and God is real? You know, when you stand out and defend God's glory as an apologetic, armed with intelligence, seeing everything from a biblical perspective, it's easy to counter them with all kinds of knowledge, because only a fool says in his heart, "there is no God!" The difficult questions are, how do you know that the bible is TIMELESS and God is PRESENT? When the Holy Spirit is on the move, with a need to be proclaimed, that's the answer.

The gift of tongues was given to spread the gospel.
When you dance with joy, you are expressing yourself without concern for being understood. You are simply moving, babbling and grooving to the rhythm of your own heart. This can be a very freeing and empowering experience, especially if you feel like you are often misunderstood or judged by others.

Dancing with joy can also help you to connect with your inner self and to express your emotions in a healthy and positive way. When you dance, you are not only moving your body, you are also expressing your soul. This can be a very cathartic and healing experience in churches.

So, if you are feeling joyful, put on some music and start dancing! Let your body move to the rhythm and let your soul shine through. No one needs to understand you; just enjoy the freedom and liberation of joyful dancing. Sing or moan away.

Last edited:
I find it troubling that I did not find the word Jesus in the book that parallels your experience .

Does that trouble you Tulipbee ?
Upon examining the book, I was unable to find any information that corresponds to the phenomenon you described today as tongues. This suggests that it is not a common occurrence or a natural human bodily event. However, this does not imply that it is wrong or abnormal. It is possible that people have misunderstood or misinterpreted the nature of this phenomenon.

Upon examining the book, I was unable to find any information that corresponds to the phenomenon you described today as tongues.
Which "book" are you talking about ?
This suggests that it is not a common occurrence or a natural human bodily event.
Speaking in tongues is a supernatural event powered by the Holy Spirit .
It is possible that people have misunderstood or misinterpreted the nature of this phenomenon.
You ain't just a woofing there !

Hi hawkman

Maybe the issue here is 'how' we define or understand the act of speaking in tongues. Your anecdote here merely says that you were with a group of medical professionals and suddenly out of your mouth came an answer to a question that you believe you had no knowledge of before. But you gave that answer in English, right? You spoke in the same language and tongue that was being spoken by all of the medical professionals with which you were in discussion.

What you received was the gift of the Holy Spirit of wisdom and truth. I believe he does that for many of us all the time. In fact, the Scriptures even tell us not to worry about 'what' we will say often times in preaching the gospel. That the Spirit will guide us and literally 'give us the words to speak' I believe is how the Scriptures point out the work of the Spirit in us. That's what you had.

You had an experience where you believe the Holy Spirit gave you knowledge that you didn't previously possess. I'm sorry, but for me, and how I understand the working of the gift of tongues, your example isn't it.

So again, I don't condemn anyone for using or believing that they have the gift of tongues. But an account such as has been presented here, for me, isn't really an example of how we might see tongues being used around us.

God bless,
Ted

Your anecdote here merely says that you were with a group of medical professionals and suddenly out of your mouth came an answer to a question that you believe you had no knowledge of before.
One medical pro , the rest were patients .
But you gave that answer in English, right?
Exactly !
You spoke in the same language and tongue that was being spoken by all of the medical professionals with which you were in discussion.
Exactly !
What you received was the gift of the Holy Spirit of wisdom and truth. I believe he does that for many of us all the time. In fact, the Scriptures even tell us not to worry about 'what' we will say often times in preaching the gospel. That the Spirit will guide us and literally 'give us the words to speak' I believe is how the Scriptures point out the work of the Spirit in us. That's what you had.
Since I already knew what it was to have the Holy Spirit give the utterance , which means you have no knowledge of the words coming out of your mouth till you hear them . I was not given the words but the Holy Spirit gave the utterance . I normally sound like country fried when I speak , but when the Holy Spirit gave the utterance in the hospital that day my words were measured , delivered with force and precision , and NO southern accent . I was so surprised ! But happy :) !
Yes miamited the Holy Spirit can give us the words to say or even type out on this forum , I have seen that in your responses :) .
You had an experience where you believe the Holy Spirit gave you knowledge that you didn't previously possess. I'm sorry, but for me, and how I understand the working of the gift of tongues, your example isn't it.
Not knowledge , it was only words uttered through the unction of the Holy Spirit in the hospital that day . I was the vessel for the Holy Spirit to speak .

Hi hawkman,

You didn't give all of that detail in your account. I didn't read anything about the voice not being your natural voice. I'd say you should praise God. BTW, did the people around you know that the Holy Spirit was speaking through you? Did you then tell them excitedly about Jesus based on their very own witnessing of you speaking in tongues? I mean, you did agree that its purpose was to spread the gospel. I just wondered if you used it in that way.

God bless,
Ted

1 Corinthians 14:13 kjv
13. Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

This does not sound like a suggestion.

I flipped and flopped in the issue for years? I finally said ok may I interpret? Most just stay in tongues speaking to God in private. Which is ok.
However
Revelation 3:20 has a hint of having a meal with Jesus. As you fellowship with him ( if you opened the door), I think a form of direction develops. The desire to talk to others begins. English to English conversations are difficult. When I start talking of human anatomy Bible symbolism, it is a foreign tongue to many people. The Holy Spirit is the only way I can explain the thought to others. IMHO tongues introduces us to spiritual communication.

We have to get past Jew & Greek, male & female, bond & free. Although we are not speaking in different languages, we are speaking in different mindset areas.

There is a concept of communication that drives us to communicate with others. I am absolutely a redneck, it bothers me when I can not speak to others. I need to get into their secret mindsets. Our talking about languages / tongues is the immediate issue, we also need to get past who we are, and communicate with others in their understanding.

I am not hopefully picking on you. Hopefully I am using your post to speak to everyone.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
I'm not sensing any "picking".
Another scrip' you could use in your "communicate with others in their understanding" side-line, is Rom 12:16..."Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits."
Be humble in our dealings with other, as they may be condescending to us .

You didn't give all of that detail in your account. I didn't read anything about the voice not being your natural voice. I'd say you should praise God.
Good you understand , sorry about not getting all the details in the first post about this . One more thing about my ability to speak in public , it is not good I am very far from being an orator . After it sunk in what had happened yes I did praise God but at the time and shortly after I was just astonished at what happened . I was like "Woah ! Was that me speaking like that ! "
BTW, did the people around you know that the Holy Spirit was speaking through you?
There was at least one other Christian there that day so maybe they knew .
Did you then tell them excitedly about Jesus based on their very own witnessing of you speaking in tongues?
I was in such a state of shock over what happened , I did not have any idea the Holy Spirit through the Gift of Tongues might just use my own native tongue .
One of the things going on when that happened is I think the Holy Spirit wanted me to know IF something needed to be said the Holy Spirit would find a way to do it .
miamited , you have a good idea now of what went on that day but trying to explain to the others present I felt no unction from the Holy Spirit to do so . Most of the patients were there for mental problems of a minor nature .
I mean, you did agree that its purpose was to spread the gospel. I just wondered if you used it in that way.
There was at least one person in that group that day that the message was for , what they did with the message from the Holy Spirit is up to them .
The Holy Spirit used me that day for His purposes . It was an experience like none I have ever had . Up until this happened I had only prayed in tongues .

Hi hawkman
There was at least one other Christian there that day so maybe they knew .
While that's good, personally, I always considered spreading the gospel to mean that it was being spoken to someone who didn't know the truth. So, the answer to my question would be , no? This occasion of the work of the Holy Spirit through you in speaking in 'tongues' was not for the edification or the body, nor of the lost.

I still think that you are misrepresenting 'what' the Scriptures mean when they speak of talking in tongues. But that's ok and Paul has instructed me not to condemn that activity. So I don't.

Maybe the other christian there used it to edify the body and preach the gospel, if as you say, they may have known what was going on.

God bless,
Ted

While that's good, personally, I always considered spreading the gospel to mean that it was being spoken to someone who didn't know the truth. So, the answer to my question would be , no? This occasion of the work of the Holy Spirit through you in speaking in 'tongues' was not for the edification or the body, nor of the lost.
The Holy Spirit had a message for at least one of the people present , I have no doubts of this , otherwise why take the utterance .
I still think that you are misrepresenting 'what' the Scriptures mean when they speak of talking in tongues.
That is not my goal EVER to misrepresent the working of the Holy Spirit . And I am sure that is yours too .

You are correct in that it was not exactly what was mentioned in scripture , but like I said I already knew what it was like to have the Holy Spirit take the utterance . So when the Holy Spirit spoke through me in English that day I knew what was happening but was still shocked because it was English .

Thanks for your thoughts miamited , It was an occurence that I did not expect and it is hard to get across what happened .

Hi hawkman
It was an occurence that I did not expect and it is hard to get across what happened .
Yes, bold outward workings of the Spirit are often hard for others to explain. Similarly to NDE's. It's impossible for me to know exactly what it feels like to be dead, but seemingly having some sort of out of body experience, or however they work out in those who say they have experienced one.

God bless,
Ted

The life as a tongue talker:
You are at the bottom of spiritual gifts.
Very few people outside those who are tongue talkers try to understand.
You realize pretty quick there were/are problems.
Confessing sins never stops (before the last trump).
There are very few that press toward interpretation.
Interpreters can mess up too.

About the problems:
Problems do not shut down good.
Just because some Jews were bad does not mean all are bad. The Jews have an advantage.

The blood moon signifies Christ suffering.
The pagan evil full moon does not make Bible full moon symbolism bad.
Every moon cycle reminds us (As you see him go so shall you see Him come again).

Instructions are available for the correct practice of tongues.

Encouragements for moving to higher gifts are given. The Holy Spirit gives the gifts. Earthern vessels contain the gifts.

Mississippi redneck
eddif.

1. How is speaking gibberish without interpretation edifying?
2. How does it build me up as a believer if I cannot understand it?
3. How, if only one person interpreted the gibberish, do I know, verifiably, what was said is true?
(I like the way Paul metaphorically asks this:
I hope I can help.

your 3 statements are the other dark side (spiritual but an evil spirit)
Isaiah 8:19 kjv
19. And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?

1 Corinthians 14:22 kjv
22. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

I have to be very careful here. I do not claim total understanding.

Evil does not edify, but chaos proves unbelief to unbelivers.

1 Corinthians 12:1 kjv
1. Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.
2. Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.
3. Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

I will invite others to help here. A meeting can seem spiritual, but not promote Christ Jesus.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back