Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Have Tongues Ceased?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
That was indeed written of, especially in Acts 2 where real languages were heard by the listeners; but there is another gift of tongues, or another manifestation of the same gift, where the Spirit of God in the man speaks to God.
No there isn't. When Paul means anyone who speaks in a foreign language the congregation doesn't understand,

You will just be speaking into the air. Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 1Cor.14:9-10 NIV

This isn't a mysterious language completely unknown to humanity. It's a "language in the world" that means sonething.

So if you pray in that language under those circumstances, do it silently.
Paul mentions it in Romans 8:26-27.
Let's call the first example "languages" and the second "gibberish" (as I don't know how else to describe it."
He also mentions it in 1 Cor 14:14-15.

Tongues (languages) are most certainly a sign for non-Christian foreign seekers.
Tongues (gibberish) can be a sign for us believers, a sign of someone else's conversion.
Or quite simply any foreign language that we don't understand is useless. Even Spanish and Italian, or French sound like nothing but gibberish to anyone who doesn't speak the language.
If a new convert never speaks in tongues (during private or group prayers) his conversion comes under scrutiny.
Lol...says who?
In this verse Paul refers to the "gibberish" style of tongues being spoken without an interpreter.
An interpreter isn't needed because the speaker understands what he's saying in at least two languages. He can think in two different languages.
Speaking in tongues (gibberish) in a group setting without an interpreter is forbidden.
Yes, Paul said if the speaker is the only one who understands the language then keep silent.

Hey All,
I have questions about the use of the gift of tongues. I see them used in
Acts 2:2-4. (First recorded usage, that I know, of the gift.)

Acts 2:2-4 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

I have never seen this happen, in the way described, at any church service I have attended. I have heard a person speak gibberish and call it tongues. And I have heard a person give an interpretation of the gibberish without any verifiable way to know if the interpretation is real.

Shouldn't the crowd's reaction in Acts 2:5-7 be mine; and the congregation's reaction as a whole?

Acts 2:5-7 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

Shouldn't I be amazed? Shouldn't I marvel at its occurance? Ths is a gift from the Holy Spirit.

1. How is speaking gibberish without interpretation edifying?
2. How does it build me up as a believer if I cannot understand it?
3. How, if only one person interpreted the gibberish, do I know, verifiably, what was said is true?
(I like the way Paul metaphorically asks this:
1 Corinthians 14:8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?)

Let me illustrate.

I only know English fluently, and I am in a meeting with a group that only speak German, and I am speaking to them in English, they need a translator so they can understand what I said.
When in that meeting I say:
"Hello, blessed be the name of Jesus."
" Then if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." (Romans 10:9)

But insteadof English, and through no interpreter, the crowd hears me my speach as German:

"Hallo, gesegnet sei der Name Jesu."

Römer 10:9 Wenn du mit deinem Mund Jesus als Herrn bekennst und in deinem Herzen glaubst, dass Gott ihn von den Toten auferweckt hat, wirst du gerettet werden.

While another person in the the crowd perhaps who only speaks Spanish, and again with no interpretor, they hear the same English speach as:

"Hola, bendito sea el nombre de Jesús."

"Romanos 10:9 Que si confiesas con tu boca que Jesús es el Señor, y crees en tu corazón que Dios le levantó de los muertos, serás salvo."

I believe this would qualify as amazing and marvelous.
1. It wouldn't be gibberish.
2. It would be edifying. (build my understanding)
3. What was said would be verifyable as true, through the interpretor, the crowd, and the Bible.

I have never seen this at any church service I have attended.

Can any evangelist say that this version of the gift of tongues happened to them?
Are there any missionaries out there that can verifiably say this happened to them?

Shouldn't there be a continuity with the gift in Acts and what is porported to be the gift today?

So I ask: Does this gift still exist in the world today?

1 Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

Have tongues ceased?

What is your understanding?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
The real question, is are they needed, as we see all the forms of translation available in the hands of people across the world. They can communicate in every language with a touch of their cellphone, or click on their computer, and many other media. So what would be the need....

Josef
1Corinthians 15:52 kjv
52. In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

The whole Body is perfected at the last trump (changed).

Till the last trump we will see through a glass darkly. We need spiritual gifts to reveal secrets of men’s hearts.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

There are too many pages for me to read and see who's answered what, but to the question on have tongues ceased I offer to consider yes

As we now have the complete (perfect) word of God
I was not allowed to "consider" . I was given the Gift of Tongues at my salvation :) .
So , no the "perfect" has not come yet .

Hey All,
I have questions about the use of the gift of tongues. I see them used in
Acts 2:2-4. (First recorded usage, that I know, of the gift.)

Acts 2:2-4 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

I have never seen this happen, in the way described, at any church service I have attended. I have heard a person speak gibberish and call it tongues. And I have heard a person give an interpretation of the gibberish without any verifiable way to know if the interpretation is real.

Shouldn't the crowd's reaction in Acts 2:5-7 be mine; and the congregation's reaction as a whole?

Acts 2:5-7 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

Shouldn't I be amazed? Shouldn't I marvel at its occurance? Ths is a gift from the Holy Spirit.

1. How is speaking gibberish without interpretation edifying?
2. How does it build me up as a believer if I cannot understand it?
3. How, if only one person interpreted the gibberish, do I know, verifiably, what was said is true?
(I like the way Paul metaphorically asks this:
1 Corinthians 14:8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?)

Let me illustrate.

I only know English fluently, and I am in a meeting with a group that only speak German, and I am speaking to them in English, they need a translator so they can understand what I said.
When in that meeting I say:
"Hello, blessed be the name of Jesus."
" Then if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." (Romans 10:9)

But insteadof English, and through no interpreter, the crowd hears me my speach as German:

"Hallo, gesegnet sei der Name Jesu."

Römer 10:9 Wenn du mit deinem Mund Jesus als Herrn bekennst und in deinem Herzen glaubst, dass Gott ihn von den Toten auferweckt hat, wirst du gerettet werden.

While another person in the the crowd perhaps who only speaks Spanish, and again with no interpretor, they hear the same English speach as:

"Hola, bendito sea el nombre de Jesús."

"Romanos 10:9 Que si confiesas con tu boca que Jesús es el Señor, y crees en tu corazón que Dios le levantó de los muertos, serás salvo."

I believe this would qualify as amazing and marvelous.
1. It wouldn't be gibberish.
2. It would be edifying. (build my understanding)
3. What was said would be verifyable as true, through the interpretor, the crowd, and the Bible.

I have never seen this at any church service I have attended.

Can any evangelist say that this version of the gift of tongues happened to them?
Are there any missionaries out there that can verifiably say this happened to them?

Shouldn't there be a continuity with the gift in Acts and what is porported to be the gift today?

1 Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

Have tongues ceased?

What is your understanding?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Hi Josef,

What is often missed is that the book of 1 Corinthauns is a letter of rebuke, it's not an instruction manual. Paul is rebuking this Church for their abuses of the gifts. He mentions tongues as one that was being abused. If we study the theme of the gift of tongues through Scriptures we find that tongues was used as a warning to Israel, Isaiah 28-29. Paul said that tongues would cease. The way he worded it in the Greek text indicates that tongues would cease of their own accord, unlike prophecy and knowledge which would cease when, 'that which is perfect' or the maturity comes. Since tongues was a warning to Israel of the Impending Judgment that would come in AD 70 there wouldn't be a need for tongues after that judgment and it would cease. This was borne out in church history. When we look at church history after the apostles had left the scene we find several writers telling us that only a remnant of the gifts were still around in their day, thus showing that the gifts were in fact ceasing

No there isn't. When Paul means anyone who speaks in a foreign language the congregation doesn't understand,
Can you tell the difference between a foreign language and what some call gibberish ?
You elect to call tongues a foreign language.
And though on occasion tongues may indeed be a language, it isn't always an earthly language.
You will just be speaking into the air. Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 1Cor.14:9-10 NIV
In addition to the world's languages, there is also the tongues of angels language.
This isn't a mysterious language completely unknown to humanity. It's a "language in the world" that means sonething.
The language of angels can also mean something.
So if you pray in that language under those circumstances, do it silently.
In either language, man's or angel's...unless there is an interpreter present.
Or quite simply any foreign language that we don't understand is useless. Even Spanish and Italian, or French sound like nothing but gibberish to anyone who doesn't speak the language.
Sure.
Lol...says who?
I say so, based on the scriptures at hand.
The twelve at Ephesus were the perfect example of this.
"And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied." (Acts 19:6)
An interpreter isn't needed because the speaker understands what he's saying in at least two languages. He can think in two different languages.
Did the apostles know what they were saying in Acts 2 ?
I doubt it.
Yes, Paul said if the speaker is the only one who understands the language then keep silent.
Good exhortation.
There are two kinds of gift of tongues.
One for the edification of others, and the other for the edification of our selves.

Actually, 1 Corinthians 14 will be the judge if is real or satanic.
Agree and plenty of oneness churches ,a few here locally speak in tongues and deny that Jesus true nature .

If God is with them then He wouldn't dupe them into teaching that God is one person with three manifesting beings .modalism is a heresy .

given the Gift of Tongues

I of course can not say someone did or did not receive a gift as you state, it would be wrong of me to do so.

I can say I once had what I've heard was put as a gift,

Joining the RCC you undergo certain rights and rituals, not called exorcism but of the same effect,

I view the previous "gift" as exorcised with great praise to God now.

What would cause me doubt tongues is more to do with healing gifts

If people have them why do we need Walgreens, CVS, hospitals etc?

Why are people with healing gifts not on the same corners, in place of those?

Why would a great many people not be saved due to their having been healed?

Additionally, I've seen people with "gifts" who do not act gifted, to the contrary.

And the churches that seem to promote it often have women preachers, something I've never been comfortable with,

Both in the same chapter as tongues

Again, I can not say any gift does not exist or that people who claim to have them are deceived or evil etc,

but it makes me uncomfortable, which it seems did Paul also so I don't feel in bad company :cool2

I of course can not say someone did or did not receive a gift as you state, it would be wrong of me to do so.
Good man .
I can say I once had what I've heard was put as a gift,

Joining the RCC you undergo certain rights and rituals, not called exorcism but of the same effect,

I view the previous "gift" as exorcised with great praise to God now.
Sounds like a gift from the dark side . Praise God indeed you are now purged .
f people have them why do we need Walgreens, CVS, hospitals etc?

Why are people with healing gifts not on the same corners, in place of those?

Why would a great many people not be saved due to their having been healed?
If I were you and really wanted answers to these questions I would pray and ask God to give the answers . I am not God and I certainly don't have all the answers :) . I have seen my daughter healed twice and I have heard others give testimony of healing .
Again, I can not say any gift does not exist or that people who claim to have them are deceived or evil etc,

but it makes me uncomfortable, which it seems did Paul also so I don't feel in bad company :cool2
People do like their comfort zone . The Holy Spirit is the Comforter .

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back