Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Have you ever had weird sensations during prayer?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

YosefHayim

Recently, since I've started going to church and bible study I've been noticing something strange.

When I pray I feel like I sway side to side, lightly and slowly. Sometimes I feel like it's supernatural. It happens when I'm standing. (Sometimes I also wonder if it's related to past drug/psychedelic usage)

The thing is, how do you tell something is of the Holy Spirit? How do you tell you have the Holy Spirit? How do you test a physical feeling with scripture?

(Also, what happens if one commits the unpardonable sin?)

Anyway. Has anyone had similar experiences resulting from prayer and/or worship? Or any other strange physical, or spiritual sensations differing from that such as mine?

Que Paso?
UmpOi.gif

Don't know how to describe it, but sometimes I feel some sensation running through my nervous system for a few seconds at a time. I've always associated it with worship, but I'm not sure if there's a way to know if it's really something spiritual or not.

Your muscles are trying to adjust the position of you body. They always do that, just that we don't notice. While praying you probably stand with your eyes closed, so your brain is getting less information about your body position and correcting it's position becomes a noticable swaying movement. It might also be an involuntary response to the rhythm of speaking or of the music when music is involved.
If that swaying phenomenon happens EVERY time you stand with your eyes closed you should see your doctor because it could indicate problems with your vestibular organs or your nervous system.

Don't know how to describe it, but sometimes I feel some sensation running through my nervous system for a few seconds at a time. I've always associated it with worship, but I'm not sure if there's a way to know if it's really something spiritual or not.

Hi [MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION] :

Whatever it is, what we need to concentrate on, rather than on feelings, is the Person in Whose name the prayers are offered and the content of the prayers.

However interesting, feelings can mislead.

Blessings.

As the trees sway back and forth when the wind flows through them so our body will sway when the Holy Spirit flows through us. Enjoy His presence, engulf it as it is the peace of God washing over you.

Not sure if there is any scripture that can define it other other than Acts 2:1-4.

Your muscles are trying to adjust the position of you body. They always do that, just that we don't notice. While praying you probably stand with your eyes closed, so your brain is getting less information about your body position and correcting it's position becomes a noticable swaying movement. It might also be an involuntary response to the rhythm of speaking or of the music when music is involved.
If that swaying phenomenon happens EVERY time you stand with your eyes closed you should see your doctor because it could indicate problems with your vestibular organs or your nervous system.

I don't notice it so strong when I'm not praying or closing my eyes. (I just stood to try it without praying at this note). Though I've noticed it intensely during prayer, and once listening to Hillsong standing on the train to my friend's house.

I see a neurologist, so maybe I'll mention it.

I don't notice it so strong when I'm not praying or closing my eyes. (I just stood to try it without praying at this note). Though I've noticed it intensely during prayer, and once listening to Hillsong standing on the train to my friend's house.

I see a neurologist, so maybe I'll mention it.

Y:

If your neurologist isn't a Christian, don't be surprised if he makes some less than helpful comment about the Christian faith.

Just my observation.

I do think we need to rely prayerfully on facts from the Bible rather than on feelings.

Y:

If your neurologist isn't a Christian, don't be surprised if he makes some less than helpful comment about the Christian faith.

Just my observation.

I do think we need to rely prayerfully on facts from the Bible rather than on feelings.

I understand that Jesus is the main focus, and that we should trust in Jesus alone.

But the Bible does talk about feelings as well, doesn't it? (Philippians 4:4-7; Matthew 5:4; 2 Corinthians 12:7-9)

I understand that Jesus is the main focus, and that we should trust in Jesus alone.

But the Bible does talk about feelings as well, doesn't it? (Philippians 4:4-7; Matthew 5:4; 2 Corinthians 12:7-9)

Y: We may have to go through feelings, but they are not the believer's main focus. Rejoicing I would say goes beyong mere feeling, but rather it is an acknowledgment in the depths of our being that what God is and has done, according to the Scriptures, strenghtens us with a living hope.

Blessings.

Y: We may have to go through feelings, but they are not the believer's main focus. Rejoicing I would say goes beyong mere feeling, but rather it is an acknowledgment in the depths of our being that what God is and has done, according to the Scriptures, strenghtens us with a living hope.

Blessings.

I'm not saying that it's the main focus, but that doesn't mean it's a topic that can't be addressed. The scriptures talk of people having all sorts of physical, spiritual, mental, and ineffable experiences that blew the minds of the people.

I'm not saying that it's the main focus, but that doesn't mean it's a topic that can't be addressed. The scriptures talk of people having all sorts of physical, spiritual, mental, and ineffable experiences that blew the minds of the people.

Y: You see, I don't believe in 'blowing the mind' as you say. Scripture tells us clearly to 'gird up the loins of your mind, be sober and hope' (1 Peter 1.13).

In the end it's facts from Scripture, and not feelings, that should drive the believer.

Y: You see, I don't believe in 'blowing the mind' as you say. Scripture tells us clearly to 'gird up the loins of your mind, be sober and hope' (1 Peter 1.13).

In the end it's facts from Scripture, and not feelings, that should drive the believer.

So the things the LORD does are not amazing? And he can't do things that are unfathomable?

So the things the LORD does are not amazing? And he can't do things that are unfathomable?

Y: I think you're putting words into my mouth, Friend. But we can never evade the clear evidence of the written Word of God for the sake of feelings and so forth. The believer in the Lord Jesus can rejoice in Him, in the light of what the clear evidence of the Word brings about His blessed Person and Work, as enlightened by the Holy Spirit.

Y: I think you're putting words into my mouth, Friend. But we can never evade the clear evidence of the written Word of God for the sake of feelings and so forth. The believer in the Lord Jesus can rejoice in Him, in the light of what the clear evidence of the Word brings about His blessed Person and Work, as enlightened by the Holy Spirit.

You said you don't believe in 'blowing of the mind'.

You said you don't believe in 'blowing of the mind'.

Correct. It's a phrase you first used, I think, and I don't know exactly what you mean by it, but I think I've explained what I see in Scripture as generally relevant to that form of words. Thanks.

Fact is first. Faith (belief in the truth) is next and from this will come feelings.

Putting feelings first is a mistake (or can be in many, many cases) but casting them aside altogether is also a mistake. The Bible is our more sure word of prophecy.

Fact is first. Faith (belief in the truth) is next and from this will come feelings.

Putting feelings first is a mistake (or can be in many, many cases) but casting them aside altogether is also a mistake. The Bible is our more sure word of prophecy.

S: Depends how one defines 'feelings', I suppose. For example, 'the Spirit beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the sons of God' (Romans 8.16). A 'feeling', a 'conviction', an 'inner sense'? hard to define, but real, and witnessed by Scripture.

I Samuel 3:1
And the child Samuel ministered unto the Lord before Eli. And the word of the Lord was precious in those days; there was no open vision.

At a point in time there would have been little information to answer your question (there were no open visions).

I Samuel 3:4-5
4 That the Lord called Samuel: and he answered, Here am I.
5 And he ran unto Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou calledst me. And he said, I called not; lie down again. And he went and lay down.

I Samuel 3:8-9
8 And the Lord called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And Eli perceived that the Lord had called the child.
9 Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, Lord; for thy servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay down in his place.

I Samuel 3:10-11
10 And the Lord came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.
11 And the Lord said to Samuel, Behold, I will do a thing in Israel, at which both the ears of every one that heareth it shall tingle.
and the passage goes on...........

Samuel was learning to listen. We all have to discern what to listen to.
++++++++++

Today we have a little more information on how to discern what is going on.

I John 4:1
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

I suppose your meant I Corinthians 12:7-10 instead of II Corinthians. Discerning of spirits is a spiritual gift.

Your work is cut out for you.

I Corinthians 12:2
1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.
2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.

(Carried away and Led) Something spiritual happened in the worship of idols, but I would say it was not Ruach ha Kodesh. The spirit leading idol worship would have been evil rather than Holy. We really have to receive the Holy Spirit to discern what kind of spirit we are dealing with. If we do not receive the gift hopefully we find someone else to discern (use care in who you choose). Your past experience with drugs makes your job a little harder, but by no means is the problem something that the Holy Spirit can handle. In fact you have experience to use in comparison (being led by the Holy Spirit of course and not just the carnal mind).

Hebrews 5:14
14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Recently, since I've started going to church and bible study I've been noticing something strange.

When I pray I feel like I sway side to side, lightly and slowly. Sometimes I feel like it's supernatural. It happens when I'm standing. (Sometimes I also wonder if it's related to past drug/psychedelic usage)

The thing is, how do you tell something is of the Holy Spirit? How do you tell you have the Holy Spirit? How do you test a physical feeling with scripture?

(Also, what happens if one commits the unpardonable sin?)

Anyway. Has anyone had similar experiences resulting from prayer and/or worship? Or any other strange physical, or spiritual sensations differing from that such as mine?

Que Paso?

I Corinthians ?

Jesus manifested discernment of spirits in his ministry. The prophets learned to discern some of the spirits. Many of the Corinthians spirituals were shown by the OT prophets.

yoseph, sounds like a normal pentacostal experience to me.

Even pentacostal folks still have to use scripture to help evaluate what is going on.

I John 4:1
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

I have had a few experiences that were just spiritual and did not pass the tests. Jesus was tempted by satan. We have a few things to discern ourselves.

The jerk from Mississippi

eddif

I Samuel 3:1
And the child Samuel ministered unto the Lord before Eli. And the word of the Lord was precious in those days; there was no open vision. (...)
I have had a few experiences that were just spiritual and did not pass the tests. Jesus was tempted by satan. We have a few things to discern ourselves.

The jerk from Mississippi
eddif

Thanks for the explanation. That helps a little.

And about 2 Corinthians, I did mean that. I was kinda giving that we can be given both negative and positive feelings such as sensations of peace, or a thorn in our side.

yoseph, sounds like a normal pentacostal experience to me.
I only go to a Non-Denom. church. Probably more on the Baptist side of the spectrum.

Back