Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Heavy Metal myths

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
[MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION] even tho they aren't around i still like em n i followed toby mac for a while after he left the group but im nt much into pop or the rap thing...p.o.d. is another favorite of mine love them
Rap or pop generally isn't my thing, especially not rap, but TobyMac seems to be something of an exception with me. Not one of my top favorites, though.

[MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION] even tho they aren't around i still like em n i followed toby mac for a while after he left the group but im nt much into pop or the rap thing...p.o.d. is another favorite of mine love them
Rap or pop generally isn't my thing, especially not rap, but TobyMac seems to be something of an exception with me. Not one of my top favorites, though.

Anyway I think there really is something very rigorous, powerful and wholesome about a piece of really, good Christian hard rock/heavy metal, that comes over loud and clear, both audibly and meaningfully through its Biblical lyrics.

Hard to beat, in my view.

Blessings.

@farouk
Interestingly, I recently took an online quiz about music genre personalities. My result was, "Metal: strong, tough, dark". xD Not sure that the word "dark" would fit me, though. Unless you count emo-ish lyrics as dark, and I do rather like those. (One definition of emo, taken from wiktionary: Any form of guitar-driven alternative rock that is particularly or notably emotional.)

The influence the devil has on music and the music industry itself is a lot deeper than you think. I used to be a huge fan of all types of metal.

You defend a song by metallica.
Here are some lyrics from their song Jump in The Fire

So come on
Jump in the Fire
So come on
Jump in the Fire

Jump by your will or be taken by force
I'll get you either way
Trying to keep the hellfire lit
I am stalking you as prey
Living your life as me I am you can see
There is part of me in everyone
So reach down grab my hand walk with me through the land
Come home where you belong

You also defend megadeth and say they are simply speaking out against false christianity, here is some lyrics from their song Prince of darkness

My kingdom corrupt with dissent
Your sins erupt by my intent
I loathe your prayer, I wallow in sin
Let the nightmare begin

Prince of darkness, your satanic highness
Prince of darkness, the devilish serpent, the dreaded Lucifer
Prince of darkness
I take what you love, and leave you in tears
Imprison your soul, your hopes are my games
I strip you of pride, my promise is in vain
While you burn at the stake I dance with the flames

This is what you are defending. Do not rationalize in your head that this music is not bad because you like how it sounds in your ears. I know where you come from I used to love that stuff until I was shown the filth I have been feeding my soul.

And as for the "neutral" bands you speak of, any band that glorifies hate, apathy, confusion, violence, drugs, sex etc. It is of the devil. A band does not have to openly praise the devil to be a band that God does not want you listening to.

Do not be fooled. The devil is more cunning than any human who ever walked the earth. Thank God we have His grace and mercy and the gift of Jesus' death and resurrection.

And as far as if there is real Christian metal out there, I definitely believe it! Personally, I have not gone back to the metal genre since I deleted all of my itunes library and started fresh. That was a very hard thing to do, deleting all the music I had loved collected over the years. But it was filthy and God put it upon my heart to get rid of it. I used to listen to metallica, iron maiden, slayer, megadeth, slipknot, and the list goes on. It definitely allowed me to become closer to our Creator.

Like I said before, do not be fooled!

@farouk
Interestingly, I recently took an online quiz about music genre personalities. My result was, "Metal: strong, tough, dark". xD Not sure that the word "dark" would fit me, though. Unless you count emo-ish lyrics as dark, and I do rather like those. (One definition of emo, taken from wiktionary: Any form of guitar-driven alternative rock that is particularly or notably emotional.)
[MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION]:

Very interesting indeed.

It kind of confirms in a general way what you have already discovered, I think, that you truly are a heavy metal/hard rock woman, doesn't it?

(Or something similar, whatever words might exactly be used in description).

It's certainly an interesting survey and a very interesting sort of result.

Blessings.

[MENTION=96540]Chipsndip[/MENTION]: Not sure of your point, but if you are saying that because one song has clearly bad lyrics, every track by every band that uses the same genre of music is also by definition bad. Not sure if you are really saying this; but it would be a rather sweeping conclusion. @questdriven , being very knowledgeable about Christian metal and hard rock, is more than capable of speaking for herself, but I suspect she would agree with me here.

Though leaving aside the genre of music concerned, if you honestly felt that some of the music you listened to hindered your walk with the Lord and so you got rid of it, then I can certainly admire you for it.

Blessings.

I don't know enough about bands like Metallica or Slipknot to make any comment on them. Judging just from the lyrics shared here, yeah, they probably aren't the best choices. I suspect I might enjoy a select few of their songs providing nothing was wrong with those particular songs, though.

I don't know enough about bands like Metallica or Slipknot to make any comment on them.
[MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION]:

Oh okay; it's more specifically Christian hard rock and heavy metal bands that you would know about.

(Don't be surprised if your mom eventually relaxes her views about Christian hard rock/heavy metal a bit more, anyway.)

Blessings.

PS: [MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION]: Oh I see; you amended your previous comment while I was replying. Blessings.

The influence the devil has on music and the music industry itself is a lot deeper than you think, This is what you are defending. Do not rationalize in your head that this music is not bad because you like how it sounds in your ears. I know where you come from I used to love that stuff until I was shown the filth I have been feeding my soul.
And as for the "neutral" bands you speak of, any band that glorifies hate, apathy, confusion, violence, drugs, sex etc. It is of the devil. A band does not have to openly praise the devil to be a band that God does not want you listening to.
Do not be fooled. The devil is more cunning than any human who ever walked the earth. Thank God we have His grace and mercy and the gift of Jesus' death and resurrection.

[MENTION=96540]Chipsndip[/MENTION]: Not sure of your point, but if you are saying that because one song has clearly bad lyrics, every track by every band that uses the same genre of music is also by definition bad. Not sure if you are really saying this; but it would be a rather sweeping conclusion.

Though leaving aside the genre of music concerned, if you honestly felt that some of the music you listened to hindered your walk with the Lord and so you got rid of it, then I can certainly admire you for it.

Do not be nieve when it comes to just how much influence satan has on the thoughts of musicians when it comes to lyrics! the subliminal and spiritual; ramifications that allmost 80% of the rock music that we hear on the radio or on any rock style album is absolutly influenced by the prince of the power of the air it is one method by witch he gets his glory and steals the hearts of humans from godly ideas.

I too had to go through a phase of cleansing when i decided to stop listening to metal style music among which my favorite band was ACID BATH! It was undoubtedly none other than Gods devine calling and conviction that made me repent and ultimatly teach myself how to listen to God and distinguish between the voice of the holy spirirt and the voice of the devel I thought the point was clear...... YOUR MIND IS LIKE A SPONGE IF YOU SOAK IT IN MURKY LIQUID IT WILL FILL UP WITH FILTH
but irf
I thank God that i actually found the christian rock that is available to help me transition from ungodly lyrics to those that are wholesome and well pleasing to god but even within the christian rock genre i have have heard some questionable lyrics the fact is that you have to gaurd your mind no mater what your situation for satan himself is transformed into an angel of light, and his light is briliant. deception is his specialty make no mistake about it !!!!! Take every thought captive as the scripture says and examine what you submerge your mind in . because where your mind is submerged is where your spiritual walk takes place and if you walk in the flesh you will reap the flesh,....... but if you walk in the spirit you will reap the spiritual...... do your own homework.

lowrab777:

I agree, if the lyrics are bad.

Have you ever listened to for example the track 'Battle lines' by Disciple? its lyrics are excellent and Biblical; style-wise it is Christian hard rock/heavy metal.

Blessings.

Music is not neutral

Music itself is not neutral, heavy metal and rock is aggressiv and violent music and should therefore be avoided. The lyrics change not the general message of the music.

See also:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Dr. Terry Watkins
[/FONT]
Is Music Neutral?
eaec-de.org /expose/is_music_neutral.htm

The Effects on Music on the Brain
angelfire.com /me4/mindandmusic/

Brian Snider
The nature of rock music and the future of CCM
av1611.org /crock/future.html

David Cloud
If Music is neutral
wayoflife.org /database/ifmusic.html

Re: Music is not neutral

Music itself is not neutral, heavy metal and rock is aggressiv and violent music and should therefore be avoided. The lyrics change not the general message of the music.

See also:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dr. Terry Watkins[/FONT]
Is Music Neutral?
eaec-de.org /expose/is_music_neutral.htm

The Effects on Music on the Brain
angelfire.com /me4/mindandmusic/

Brian Snider
The nature of rock music and the future of CCM
av1611.org /crock/future.html

David Cloud
If Music is neutral
wayoflife.org /database/ifmusic.html

I don't necessarily disagree, if the lyrics are bad. (And bad lyrics aren't limited to a particular genre of music, either.)

What I would ask, though is, have you ever listened to for example the track 'Battle lines' by Disciple? its lyrics are excellent and Biblical; style-wise it is Christian hard rock/heavy metal.

Blessings.

Greetings to you in the love of Jesus

Should we put God in a box? The power of music is universal, I was saved at a Christian rock concert, does this make me less efficient because I was not sitting in a pulpit during an alter call?

If it was not for Christian Rock music I may have never met the Lord, I was living in the era when Slayer, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, and so many others were just coming on the scene. My first concert was Megadeth/Dio for the Peace Sells LP. So I grew up on metal music. But it was not until I went to a Christian concert where I was touched by the Holy Spirit.

If you do not like metal music, this is your opinion and your opinion matters, but do not tell others to avoid this music because of your opinion and your own bias of it. This music can reach and impact young kids and adults today that other music can not. I wouldn't expect a gang-banger who listens to Rap music only, to show up at a metal concert and give his life to Christ. But the same individual going to a Christian Rap concert is more likely to give his life to Christ through the style of music he enjoys. So don't be putting God in a box - God say's in His Word

Isaiah 55:11
So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

In other Word's the Holy Spirit can move wherever, whenever and through what ever means and cause it to prosper!

Is metal music violent - It sure is
Is metal music loud - It sure is

And that is where God needs to meet some people (like myself) on my level, because He knows I would have never walked into a Church and met Him on a pulpit singing in a choir. And if we are not able to look past our own biased attitudes on music in general - believing that a certain music should be avoided - you just put God and the Holy Spirit in a box

God Bless

I agree that different types of music can affect you. Sometimes I like traditional hymns, sometimes contemporary Christian music. Sometimes I like soft music, sometimes heavy metal. I used to play in a heavy metal secular band in the 80's. I listen to nothing but Christian music, but now I'm rethinking. I just found out that Dave Mustaine from the band Megadeath is a born again Christian. I bought one of their cd's called Endgame, talking about the new world order, the chip, and stuff like that. I haven't read all the lyrics yet, but I'm excited. The research is what led me to this forum. I also think that in the Bible, especially in the Psalms, that the Lord is a Mighty Warrior, bold, strong, and His Throne is surrounded by lightnings, and thunders, and some good anointed heavy metal music may fit some occasions. I also think it has a lot to do with the person listening. Like the old saying, it's not the gun that kills, but the person. Some good heavy metal music or rock music gets me in an energetic mood, praising the Lord loudly! I also do know that music is one of Satan's biggest tools. As clever as Satan is, do you think it is possible for him to use softer, slower, worship, or hymnal type music too?

It's probably just a matter of taste. Some people dislike metal or rock music, they feel it's aggressive, and from their mere subjective feeling and taste they conclude it's evil, even if the lyrics aren't about anything spiritual.
Those people claim their personal taste would be something absolute and better than other people's personal taste.
For a christian only God's personal taste should matter and I don't remember any commandment about music in the Bible.

Christians seem to think God likes them only when they are meek and calm and smiling as if they'd smoked a pink unicorn. So they suppress their aggression and pretend it's not there. But you know what happens to dark sides we suppress: they gain power over us. I'm glad there are musicians that give me a way to channel my aggression in some non destructive way. It's more honest than pretending to enjoy the sweet and shallow "contemporary worship" music (Hillsong and others of their ilk) we sing in church.

My favourite christian metal band are Demon Hunter. They're explicitely christian, although their music is way more aggressive than Disciple or Skillet.
Their music did a lot for my faith.

As clever as Satan is, do you think it is possible for him to use softer, slower, worship, or hymnal type music too?

Yo, of course. Have you noticed how many modern christian songs aren't really worshipping God any more, but worshipping our spiritual experiences instead? The focus of the songs has shifted from seeking the Lord and praising him to seeking and praising spiritual sensation. Those songs put ourselves first.

Wow, that's good. I'm guilty of that. We should be coming out of a worship or prayer service saying, I hope God enjoyed that, instead of saying I enjoyed that, or that wasn't too good today because we didn't feel His presence. What's the old line, " I didn't get nothing out of that service".

I like metal, but I like it melodic, like old Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, Scorpion stuff, bands that I stay away from now. Does anyone know some Christian bands like these? Also what are some more secular bands that have born again Christians in them. Someone told me Dream Theater. I'm researching Megadeath. Anyone have an opinion on bands that don't have Christian lyrics, but talk about politics, etc.... or do I need to go back and read the old threads.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back