Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Heavy Metal myths

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
[MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION]:

...but you see, because a Fundamentalist's aunt doesn't listen to Christian metal, this 'proves' that it's not appropriate. Just as because a preacher's wife doesn't have a tattoo (or double pierced ears, ... etc.; fill in the dotted line), this, too, 'proves' something. :)

I think there is also a dispensational point about the Psalms: technically it's about Israel on earth rather than the church; but I wouldn't argue against Psalm 150, anyway.

Blessings.

Please listen to this video and tell me if this song is Satanic??

This is the band I saw live and whom gave the alter call, thus I became a born-again Christian.....

[video=youtube;Ah5ZhIhwfjc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah5ZhIhwfjc[/video]

...but you see, because a Fundamentalist's aunt doesn't listen to Christian metal, this 'proves' that it's not appropriate. Just as because a preacher's wife doesn't have a tattoo (or double pierced ears, ... etc.; fill in the dotted line), this, too, 'proves' something. :)

I think there is also a dispensational point about the Psalms: technically it's about Israel on earth rather than the church; but I wouldn't argue against Psalm 150, anyway.

Blessings.

Well, I tend to think that if God's position on music changed with the new covenant, then the NT would reflect this idea.

Hi [MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION]:

So, heard any more good tracks with Christian lyrics recently?

Blessings.

Not specifically. I haven't seen all that much from them yet, but Worth Dying For seems like a good band.

Not specifically. I haven't seen all that much from them yet, but Worth Dying For seems like a good band.
@questdriven :

Interesting; so do you know where Worth Dying For are based? Blessings.

(I'll look them up, too.)

Heard they're a church band. That's all I know at this time.

Oh okay. I also looked them up; they seem to have been around for a few years now.

(Maybe your new church would be able to get them to come to you guys? if deemed suitable)

Blessings.

@questdriven :

Interesting; so do you know where Worth Dying For are based? Blessings.

(I'll look them up, too.)

Oh okay. I also looked them up; they seem to have been around for a few years now.

(Maybe your new church would be able to get them to come to you guys? if deemed suitable)

Blessings.
I could see my Bible study group doing this if they had the chance.

We will be playing a song of their's for youth Sunday later on this month. (Risen from the Grave. This song is more to the style of groups like Hillsong, I believe. But overall, the band in general seems to use a few different styles.)

Blessings.

We will be playing a song of their's for youth Sunday later on this month. (Risen from the Grave. This song is more to the style of groups like Hillsong, I believe. But overall, the band in general seems to use a few different styles.)

Well, interesting!

You guys seem to have gotten a Bible study scheme going there; and with music, too.

So those lyrics that you mention are good, then.

I guess the band tries to combine soft rock/country with elements of metal and hard rock.

Blessings.

What music is okay

The music must not be aggressiv, loud, repititive or wordly in its style.
No backbeat, because this is overemphasising the rhythm of music. No drumsets, no distorted guitars.
Melody and harmony help only to express and better understand the text.
No secular attitudes, everyone must instantly recognize this as christian music.

Good articles also here:

David Cloud:
Replacing Hymns with Contemporary Praise Music

wayoflife.org /index_files/0bc1bcde2f0a563fee07ffa51b0a7da7-969.html

Sacred vs. CCM
youtube.com /watch?v=LswSJtMnvRs

That is good. I would enjoy that too. I also would enjoy louder music with drums and distorted guitars. You are entitled to your opinion. I'm sure Bill Cloud and you have a lot of good points on the worship and praise music you like to offer to God. I don't see your rules in the Bible though. When David hired 4000 musicians, I believe they may have gotten a little loud every now and then. David seems to have been very passionate about God. Sometimes I get so excited about Jesus I just like to shout a little, or strum my guitar loud.

Psa 150:5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

Psa 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

1Ch 23:5 Moreover four thousand were porters; and four thousand praised the LORD with the instruments which I made, said David, to praise therewith.
[MENTION=96666]Art[/MENTION]:

Hi there; I too am familiar with some of Mr Cloud's various writings. He seems to specialize in a castigatory writing style, and has compiled a huge inventory of Christian ministers and ministries of which he does not approve and seeks to supply proof of their perceived wrongdoings by means of a guilt-by-association presentation style. Some of his material may indeed be accurate; I'm not convinced it all is, however, and would not want to base my conclusions on anything he alone claims to have discovered.

Blessings.

When David hired 4000 musicians, I believe they may have gotten a little loud every now and then.

I meant loud in a negative way, when it´s constant too loud not just every now and then.

I would tell them how Christ has set me free from these things and how I got right with God at a rock concert.

Like I said it was despite the music.

Nowhere in the Bible does it actually say to avoid any specific kind of music.
If you're interested in viewing an article that honestly and fairly addresses the arguments against rock, this is an excellent article: http://www.erictb.info/ccm.html

1. Kor 14/40
"Let all things be done decently and in order."
Rock music is not decent but violent and aggressiv.
Thanks for the link, I will read the text.

If you're interested in viewing an article that honestly and fairly addresses the arguments against rock, this is an excellent article: http://www.erictb.info/ccm.html

1. Kor 14/40
"Let all things be done decently and in order."
Rock music is not decent but violent and aggressiv.
Thanks for the link, I will read the text.
If you look at the context of the chapter, it has absolutely nothing to do with music. It is speaking of spiritual gifts, like talking in tongues and prophecy.

If you look at the context of the chapter, it has absolutely nothing to do with music.
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

From the text "Music in the Bible"[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

Godly music ought to be orderly.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif](1Co 14:40) "Let all things be done decently and in order."[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]This verse is in the context of spiritual gifts, but the principle applies as music is included in "all things."[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Godly music ought to represent light not darkness. We have learned that rock, country, jazz, and similar worldly music are far from God’s light in sound and lyrics.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif](2Co 6:14) "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif](Eph 5:8) "For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:"[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif](Eph 5:11) "And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them."[/FONT]

northsidebaptistchurch.org.au/christian-resources/christian-rock-music.html

If you look at the context of the chapter, it has absolutely nothing to do with music.
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

From the text "Music in the Bible"[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

Godly music ought to be orderly.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif](1Co 14:40) "Let all things be done decently and in order."[/FONT]
    • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]This verse is in the context of spiritual gifts, but the principle applies as music is included in "all things."[/FONT]

1. So, if in a discussion about politics somebody says "It's all jacked up", are we to assume they mean the world and everything in it? No, more likely they mean the world of politics, because that is what they are talking about.
    You can make people say almost anything you want them to if you can take some quotes out of context. Done all the time in yellow journalism.

[snip]
    northsidebaptistchurch.org.au/christian-resources/christian-rock-music.html
    The link I shared addresses these and more.

Unless there is a verse that specifically tells us to avoid certain types of music, or it is a verse used in a chapter where the context is music, whether a particular verse is against any type of music or not is extremely debatable. Anyone can take a verse out of context, or make it say what they want it to say. It's done all the time to promote false doctrines.

If music is as big as issue as you and those like you claim it to be, surely God would have brought it up in His scripture so that there is no room for debate.

BTW, did you know that the music used in Jewish worship, OT times, was rhythmic and "loud" rather than melodic and soft?

[MENTION=96520]Tomg[/MENTION]:

If a song's lyrics are God honoring and point people to Christ, then how can the song be described as part of the 'unfruitful works of darkness'?

I don't quite get it.

Blessings.

@questdriven :

Blessings.

@questdriven :

So are others in your Bible study group really into Christian hard rock/heavy metal as well?

(I know you said the track in question is more Hillsong.)

Blessings.

@questdriven :

Blessings.

@questdriven :

So are others in your Bible study group really into Christian hard rock/heavy metal as well?

(I know you said the track in question is more Hillsong.)

Blessings.

In both Bible study at church and the Bible study at the radio station, there are people who have some of the same tastes in music I do.

In both Bible study at church and the Bible study at the radio station, there are people who have some of the same tastes in music I do.

Well, I see. Doesn't surprise me, really.

Anyway I think you said that you had been attending the Bible study group there even before you left your previous church, right.

So I guess you knew exactly what you were going to, in a sense.

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back