Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study HELL DOES NOT EXIST

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
So the word hell is not in the Bible. Big deal, the consequences of not believing in Jesus is that one ends up in hell.

The word is understood by just about everyone to be a place of terrible punishment.

The point of this is that there is a way to avoid going there and if one has any sence, one persues that.

You're never going to get anywhere talking about hell. Too many people have different ideas. If you want to make progress talk specifically about, Hades, Gehenna, Tartarus, and the Lake of Fire

So the word hell is not in the Bible. Big deal, the consequences of not believing in Jesus is that one ends up in hell.

The word is understood by just about everyone to be a place of terrible punishment.

The point of this is that there is a way to avoid going there and if one has any sence, one persues that.
Would you have some scripture to support never-ending torment?
What is hell anyway?

These verses suggest that when a non-believer dies,,,he just disappears, he is "destructed".
Matthew 7:13 The way is broad that leads to DESTRUCTION
John 3:16 The saved shall not PERISH
1 Thessalonians 5:3 DESTRUCTION will come upon them

You're never going to get anywhere talking about hell. Too many people have different ideas. If you want to make progress talk specifically about, Hades, Gehenna, Tartarus, and the Lake of Fire
Hades can also be called Paradise or Abraham's Bossom Luke 16
Gehenna is in a valley near Jerusalem where refuse was burned.
The Gates of Hell is a real place in Israel.
Tartarus is the only word that means HELL the way we understand it. It's found in 2 Peter 2:4

I don't think it matters how one understands the above words.
What I think is important is to make sure there's a place where we go FOR ETERNITY to live that eternity in torment....torment being total evil because God is not there.

Respectable theologians believe God to be too just to send someone to hell forever.
Just trying to get some different ideas that may not have been considered before.

Hades can also be called Paradise or Abraham's Bossom Luke 16
Gehenna is in a valley near Jerusalem where refuse was burned.
The Gates of Hell is a real place in Israel.
Tartarus is the only word that means HELL the way we understand it. It's found in 2 Peter 2:4

I don't think it matters how one understands the above words.
What I think is important is to make sure there's a place where we go FOR ETERNITY to live that eternity in torment....torment being total evil because God is not there.

Respectable theologians believe God to be too just to send someone to hell forever.
Just trying to get some different ideas that may not have been considered before.
Hi Wondering,

The Greek word translated Paradise simply means garden. Abraham's bosom is not a location, it's a man's chest. The reason people think it's a place is because they misunderstand what happened with the thief on the cross. Then they conflate this misunderstanding with a parable which they take literally. It's no wonder people wind up out in left field.

I think it does matter how one understands the words. It's one's understanding of the words that leads them to their conclusions

Hi Wondering,

The Greek word translated Paradise simply means garden. Abraham's bosom is not a location, it's a man's chest. The reason people think it's a place is because they misunderstand what happened with the thief on the cross. Then they conflate this misunderstanding with a parable which they take literally. It's no wonder people wind up out in left field.

I think it does matter how one understands the words. It's one's understanding of the words that leads them to their conclusions
Paradise means garden.
Abraham's Bossom is a man's chest.

But the parable in Luke 16 is believed to be an actual true story/place. (by many theologians).
When the veil of the temple was torn from top to bottom in Matthew 27:51, it was the sign that now anyone could enter into the holy of holies and that those that were waiting for Jesus' sacrifice were now free to enter heaven...they had been waiting in PARADISE,,,a place of comfort, which is known as Abraham's Bossom.

5. In the NT. The first of three uses refers to the abode of the righteous dead. Jesus said to the thief on the cross, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise” (Luke 23:43). In view of Christ’s descent into Hades and the NT emphasis on the Resurrection, some have taken “today” with the first phrase, rather than the second. The passage would read, “Truly I say to you today, you will be with me in Paradise.” So Jesus would not teach conscious existence in paradise immediately after death in the intermediate state. However, the many other occurrences of the introductory formula, “Truly I say to you,” do not include any additional terms such as “today.” This type of interpretation would render meaningless the nearest example, where Jesus said, “Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away till all has taken place” (Luke 21:32).

What meaning of “Paradise” did Jesus intend the thief to understand? Alford, following Grotius, suggested that Jesus spoke to the thief in terms of the Jewish belief in a portion of Hades for the righteous dead, but spoke with a fuller meaning knowing that the same day he would open paradise at God’s right hand. On this view Christ announced His triumph to the imprisoned spirits (1 Pet 3:18, 19) and some little time after on the same day was with the thief in the presence of God. A conscious existence between death and the resurrection is consistent with Jesus’ parable of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16), as well as Paul’s teaching (2 Cor 5:1-8; Phil 1:23).

source: https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/encyclopedia-of-the-bible/Paradise

Paradise means garden.
Abraham's Bossom is a man's chest.

But the parable in Luke 16 is believed to be an actual true story/place. (by many theologians).
When the veil of the temple was torn from top to bottom in Matthew 27:51, it was the sign that now anyone could enter into the holy of holies and that those that were waiting for Jesus' sacrifice were now free to enter heaven...they had been waiting in PARADISE,,,a place of comfort, which is known as Abraham's Bossom.

5. In the NT. The first of three uses refers to the abode of the righteous dead. Jesus said to the thief on the cross, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise” (Luke 23:43). In view of Christ’s descent into Hades and the NT emphasis on the Resurrection, some have taken “today” with the first phrase, rather than the second. The passage would read, “Truly I say to you today, you will be with me in Paradise.” So Jesus would not teach conscious existence in paradise immediately after death in the intermediate state. However, the many other occurrences of the introductory formula, “Truly I say to you,” do not include any additional terms such as “today.” This type of interpretation would render meaningless the nearest example, where Jesus said, “Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away till all has taken place” (Luke 21:32).

What meaning of “Paradise” did Jesus intend the thief to understand? Alford, following Grotius, suggested that Jesus spoke to the thief in terms of the Jewish belief in a portion of Hades for the righteous dead, but spoke with a fuller meaning knowing that the same day he would open paradise at God’s right hand. On this view Christ announced His triumph to the imprisoned spirits (1 Pet 3:18, 19) and some little time after on the same day was with the thief in the presence of God. A conscious existence between death and the resurrection is consistent with Jesus’ parable of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16), as well as Paul’s teaching (2 Cor 5:1-8; Phil 1:23).

source: https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/encyclopedia-of-the-bible/Paradise
Many theologians also believe in the "Immortal Soul" doctrine. Many believe in the "Hevenly Destiny" doctrine, and other doctrines that are proveably false. The problem is they start with a preconception that is incorrect, that being that man is a spirit/soul that can live apart from the body. However, notice that in that parable all three who are named have bodies. The rich man has eyes and a tongue, Abraham has a bosom, Lazarus has a finger. They have mouths because they're talking. These are all body parts. They're in the Hades, which is the grave. If we hear a story about dead people talking in the grave we know it's not literal. So many claim this is about an afterlife where the spirit/soul has left the body, yet they ignore the clear statements about these men having bodies. It's clearly a case of people believing what they want to believe.

Hades is not Paradise or Abraham's bosom. That's found now where in Scripture. That idea comes from a misinterpretation of Scripture

a Catholic Priest in my town apologized to the congregation during a Mass, about 3 years ago, telling them that the church had mislead them and that hell does not exist.
Which proves the utter foolishness of taking what a CATHOLIC PRIEST says seriously without checking it against the Bible. Whether the "Priest" likes it or not there IS an eternal punishment (Called the "Lake of Fire") waiting for those who aren't Born Again of the Holy Spirit.

Annihilationism is the fervent HOPE of those rejecting Christ for their salvation.

Many theologians also believe in the "Immortal Soul" doctrine. Many believe in the "Hevenly Destiny" doctrine, and other doctrines that are proveably false. The problem is they start with a preconception that is incorrect, that being that man is a spirit/soul that can live apart from the body. However, notice that in that parable all three who are named have bodies. The rich man has eyes and a tongue, Abraham has a bosom, Lazarus has a finger. They have mouths because they're talking. These are all body parts. They're in the Hades, which is the grave. If we hear a story about dead people talking in the grave we know it's not literal. So many claim this is about an afterlife where the spirit/soul has left the body, yet they ignore the clear statements about these men having bodies. It's clearly a case of people believing what they want to believe.
What do you believe happens when we die?
Please use scripture.

Which proves the utter foolishness of taking what a CATHOLIC PRIEST says seriously without checking it against the Bible. Whether the "Priest" likes it or not there IS an eternal punishment (Called the "Lake of Fire") waiting for those who aren't Born Again of the Holy Spirit.

Annihilationism is the fervent HOPE of those rejecting Christ for their salvation.
You mean all theologians that believe in annihalism are foolish?
You think Catholic Priests don't check theories against the bible?
That's pretty funny.
And why did you put the word priest in quotation marks?

Please tell me how we can be sure that YOU are correct.
Please use scripture.

Of course, in order to deny Hell, you have to deny not only the Bible, but also that the atheists with NDE's who died and went there are all lying.

And I see nothing wrong with the translation of Gehenna into Hell. Gehenna is a real place on earth that burned all the time. It is a real-life allegorical demonstration of the spiritual, which is what God does. After all, how do you explain a "tree" to someone who has never seen a tree? We have not died and been there, so this explanation is what we get. If they had been consumed in the fires of Gehenna, then the fire would die out. But it did not--it went on forever and ever. If they were annihilated, then God would not have explained it to us as a fire that burned on forever. Instead, it would have been chaff, thrown into a fire. Fire burns out, done. You're done. But that's not what He said.

Of course, in order to deny Hell, you have to deny not only the Bible, but also that the atheists with NDE's who died and went there are all lying.

And I see nothing wrong with the translation of Gehenna into Hell. Gehenna is a real place on earth that burned all the time. It is a real-life allegorical demonstration of the spiritual, which is what God does. After all, how do you explain a "tree" to someone who has never seen a tree? We have not died and been there, so this explanation is what we get. If they had been consumed in the fires of Gehenna, then the fire would die out. But it did not--it went on forever and ever. If they were annihilated, then God would not have explained it to us as a fire that burned on forever. Instead, it would have been chaff, thrown into a fire. Fire burns out, done. You're done. But that's not what He said.
By your reasoning I could say that God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. They were burned up...they ended.

Can you think of any verse that states the DURATION of hell?
Does the NT say that it's eternal?

What's an NDE? You said atheists have this.

Actually it's what the Bible teaches. As opposed to God torturing people forever.

Either way. Anyone who strongly asserts Hell does or does not exist, needs to admit they don't know for sure.
I lean on it not existing. But that's just my gut feeling. I doubt Hell is like Dante's Inferno anyway....( If it does exist)
Hell is India at the moment. With covid out of control.

The fire doesn't burn forever. It says the fire is not quenched. To quench means to put out, not to go out.

You mean all theologians that believe in annihalism are foolish?
You think Catholic Priests don't check theories against the bible?
That's pretty funny.
And why did you put the word priest in quotation marks?

Please tell me how we can be sure that YOU are correct.
Please use scripture.
The Bible teaches a TEMPORARY HELL, and after the Great Judgement, an Eternal lake of fire (that HELL gets dumped into). And there's no such thing as Purgatory - it's just another Roman Catholic LIE. Rev 20:14,15.

Go ahead and take a chance that there's "No Hell" if you choose to. I wouldn't DARE.

Back