Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study HELL DOES NOT EXIST

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

GodsGrace

Staff member
CF Ambassador
Not only does it not exists, a Catholic Priest in my town apologized to the congregation during a Mass, about 3 years ago, telling them that the church had mislead them and that hell does not exist because the word HELL is not in the bible.

After some investigation, I come to find out that this priest believes in annihilation.
Those that are saved go to heaven.
Those that are lost just disappear into nothingness never to be heard of again.

Someone else I know....believes that hell exists but is temporary and short lived and the person also then disappears into nothingness.

Jesus spoke of hell.
So how could it not exist?

He said there would be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Do you believe hell exists?
Please use scripture.

Butch5

Not only does it not exists, a Catholic Priest in my town apologized to the congregation during a Mass, about 3 years ago, telling them that the church had mislead them and that hell does not exist because the word HELL is not in the bible.

After some investigation, I come to find out that this priest believes in annihilation.

Someone else I know....believes that hell exists but is temporary and short lived and the person also then disappears into nothingness.

Jesus spoke of hell.

Please use scripture.

Butch5
He is half right, but unaware of why .
As of May 2021 hell has not been established.
The current abode of the lost who have died as of May 2021 is Hades .
Satan will be cutting the ribbon on hell, as well as being it's first eternal occupant at the end of the age .
The lost will then take up residence there after him.

I just searched the NKJV and found 35 references to the word "hell." Nineteen in the Old Testament and 16 in the New Testament with 11 of them credited to Jesus in the gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke. How can he say it is not in the Bible?

Reactions: JLB
I just searched the NKJV and found 35 references to the word "hell." Nineteen in the Old Testament and 16 in the New Testament with 11 of them credited to Jesus in the gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke. How can he say it is not in the Bible?
Right. I did the same.
Here's the problem. The translation for HELL is wrong.
Every word that had to do with the after life,,,for instance sheoul or hades, was translated as HELL beginning with the KJV.

There is only one verse that refers to hell and is translated correctly.

2 Peter 2:4
4For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment;

He is half right, but unaware of why .
As of May 2021 hell has not been established.
The current abode of the lost who have died as of May 2021 is Hades .
Satan will be cutting the ribbon on hell, as well as being it's first eternal occupant at the end of the age .
The lost will then take up residence there after him.
I don't believe this is really correct.
You're right that all souls resided in hades UNTIL the resurrection of Christ.
The saved were in Abraham's Bossom and the lost were on the other side of the chasm and were already in hell.

When Jesus resurrected the gates of heaven were open and those in Abraham's Bossom went to be in heaven.
Luke 16:19-31
Matthew 27:52
51And behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth shook and the rocks were split.
52The tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;
53and coming out of the tombs after His resurrection they entered the holy city and appeared to many.

Before only the High Priest had access to the Holy of Holies...
Jesus opened this up for everyone.
The Holy City is referring to Jerusalem.

I don't believe this is really correct.
You're right that all souls resided in hades UNTIL the resurrection of Christ.
The saved were in Abraham's Bossom and the lost were on the other side of the chasm and were already in hell.
Hell's day has not happened yet .
2021 is still pre-Revelation & Book of Life final judgement

" And whosoever was not found written in the book of life
was cast into the lake of fire, "
( Revelation 20:15)

Jesus spoke of hell.

Please use scripture.

Butch5
Hmmm, CS Lewis must've believed in something like that. In his book The Great Divorce, towards the end, certain people vanished while others got back on the bus to hell.

Hmmm, CS Lewis must've believed in something like that. In his book The Great Divorce, towards the end, certain people vanished while others got back on the bus to hell.
I think CS Lewis believed in hell AND in purgatory.
If the people in his story were getting on the bus and going back to hell...
Where would the ones that vanished have gone?

Annihalism says that the lost are going to disappear. Not go back to hell.
(I was pretty shocked....his Bishop must have agreed with him too).

Hell's day has not happened yet .
2021 is still pre-Revelation & Book of Life final judgement

" And whosoever was not found written in the book of life
was cast into the lake of fire, "
( Revelation 20:15)
The Lake of Fire is the final death.
It's the final judgement, what is known as the White Throne Judgement.

What do you believe happens to us when we die?

Right. I did the same.
Here's the problem. The translation for HELL is wrong.
Every word that had to do with the after life,,,for instance sheoul or hades, was translated as HELL beginning with the KJV.

There is only one verse that refers to hell and is translated correctly.

2 Peter 2:4
4For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment;
There were hundreds of scholars and learned people involved with translating the Scriptures from whatever ancient text we are aware of today. Are you saying they all got it wrong? If so, how do you know? I know that I am not qualified to make that judgment.

There were hundreds of scholars and learned people involved with translating the Scriptures from whatever ancient text we are aware of today. Are you saying they all got it wrong? If so, how do you know? I know that I am not qualified to make that judgment.
Well WIP, actually what you wrote above is true.
Ancient texts used words such as sheoul, hades, gehenna...they were all translated as hell because there is no equivalent in the English language.

I'm not saying that hell does not exist....I believe it does.
I believe anywhere that God is not could be called hell.
Jesus referred to it many times....
I'm trying to understand how anyone could believe it does NOT exist.
I hope Butch5 shows up...we were discussing this and it was derailing the other thread too much.

Reactions: WIP
The Lake of Fire is the final death.
It's the final judgement, what is known as the White Throne Judgement.

What do you believe happens to us when we die?
The lake of fire is also Satan's future eternal home .

" And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire.."
( Revelation 20:10 )

Jesus spoke of hell.

Please use scripture.

Butch5
To do Christians justice, the word hell should be removed from all translations. It is an English word that is not in the Bible. It's used to translate three different locations. This causes much confusion. The three words are, Hades, Gehenna, and Tartarus. Hades is the grave. It's translate as the gave quite often in Scripture. Gehenna, which is where Jesus said people would be thrown, is a valley outside of Jerusalem. Tartarus, is only spoken of once in Scripture by Peter and he says it's place for angels. It's probably the closest to what people call hell, but there is nothing said of people going there. That means that whenever Jesus mentions "hell", it's either Hades, the grave, or Gehenna, the valley outside of Jerusalem. Neither of these are a place where people are tormented forever.

Well WIP, actually what you wrote above is true.
Ancient texts used words such as sheoul, hades, gehenna...they were all translated as hell because there is no equivalent in the English language.
This seems to be a bit of a contradiction. If there are no words that translate, then what are sheoul, hades, and gehenna? Are these not English versions of the original text languages?

This seems to be a bit of a contradiction. If there are no words that translate, then what are sheoul, hades, and gehenna? Are these not English versions of the original text languages?
Hi WIP,

The root of sheol is uncertain but is translated the grave. Hades simply means the unseen. It is the word for see with the negative article in front of it. It means, not seen. It's translated as the grave quite often in Scripture. Gehenna is Greek for the Valley of the Son of Hinom or Ben Hinom. It's literally a valley outside of Jerusalem. It's also call Tophet in the Scriptures.

Each one means something different.
No,,,there is no equivalent English word.
All we have is heaven, hell and for Catholics only (lol) purgatory.
Sheoul, hades and gehenna do not correspond to any of the three words, although, at least, gehenna means the burning place.
(where the refuse in Jerusalem was burned).

To do Christians justice, the word hell should be removed from all translations. It is an English word that is not in the Bible. It's used to translate three different locations. This causes much confusion. The three words are, Hades, Gehenna, and Tartarus. Hades is the grave. It's translate as the gave quite often in Scripture. Gehenna, which is where Jesus said people would be thrown, is a valley outside of Jerusalem. Tartarus, is only spoken of once in Scripture by Peter and he says it's place for angels. It's probably the closest to what people call hell, but there is nothing said of people going there. That means that whenever Jesus mentions "hell", it's either Hades, the grave, or Gehenna, the valley outside of Jerusalem. Neither of these are a place where people are tormented forever.
I agree and have posted what you've stated a couple of posts up.
Tartarus is in 2 Peter 2:4, but even there it says HELL.

My point, however, is that Jesus did speak of a place where God was not....
where there was weeping and gnashing of teeth...
and what about John 5:28-29?
28“Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice,
29and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

What is this resurrection of judgement, if not a place where God is absent?

I don't know what hell will be like,,,,but there must be a place where the unsaved go...

We have always been taught hell is a place where non-believers in God go to for eternity, but according to scripture this is not what hell is. Hell is described as the world of the dead, a place where the departed go that have died as being lowered in a grave/pit. There they are kept until the return of Christ to either stand in Gods Great White Throne judgment for those who are not found written in the Lambs Book of Life, Rev 20:11-15, or those who have died in Christ that will stand in his judgment to give an account for the things done here on earth, 2 Corinthians 5:10.

Hell is not the lake of fire as God gives us a description of the lake of fire as in fire and brimstone which can be used literal as in Sodom and Gomorrah burned to ashes and as a metaphor for torment, suffering, punishment or as Matthew 8:12 describes it as outer darkness. The New Testament description is a bottomless pit (abyss) (Revelation 20:3), a lake (Revelation 20:14), darkness (Matthew 25:30), death (Revelation 2:11), destruction (2 Thessalonians 1:9), everlasting torment (Revelation 20:10), a place of wailing and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 25:30), and a place of gradated punishment (Matthew 11:20-24; Luke 12:47-48; Revelation 20:12-13), everlasting fire Matthew 25:41, everlasting punishment, Matthew 25:46, lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance: Hell

Hebrew # 7585 Sheol, Hades, or the world of the dead, grave, hell, pit

Greek # 86 place of departed souls, grave, hell

Greek # 1067 Gehenna, the Valley of the sons of Hinnom South of Jerusalem, figuratively and literal of place of punishment.

Greek # 5020. Tartaroo tar-tar-o'-o from Tartaros (the deepest abyss of Hades); to incarcerate in eternal torment:--cast down to hell.​

Hades is the English of the Greek word ᾅδης, just as Gehenna is the English for the Greek word γέεννα and Tartaros is the English word for the Greek word ταρταρόω

The English word hell, back in 1611, meant about the same as Hades, that being covered or unseen as in grave/pit. We do not see those in the grave as they are unseen to the eye as they are covered with dirt, or some placed in a tomb. The word hell is derived from the Saxon helan, to cover, and signifying merely the covered, or invisible place. The habitation of those who have gone from the visible terrestrial region to the world of spirits.

Jude 1:7 clearly states an example of eternal fire. This is the same Greek word that is used for everlasting fire and everlasting punishment as used in Matthew 18:8 and Matthew 25:41,46 (Notice: The place, as no real name is given, where the unsaved go is everlasting punishment, and not everlasting punishing. The punishment is eternal in its results, not in its duration. Unquenchable fire is a fire that cannot be quenched or put out until everything in its path is burned up.​

Back