Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Holy Spirit & Holy Ghost... One in the same?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
They are not one and the same.....

Ghost always means Spirit....but Spirit doesn't have to mean Ghost....and that is where the problem lies....

The seven faceted Holy Spirit of God...as characterized in Isa 11:2.....is not a cognitive entity...these are devine attributes of God that he projects on whoever he chooses...

Isa 11:2 And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;

Again, in visible form these are seen in:

Rev 1:4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace [be] unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;
Rev 3:1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.
Rev 4:5 And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and [there were] seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.
Rev 5:6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are [b]the seven Spirits of God [/b]sent forth into all the earth.

These divine attributes can be bestowed on one person (ie Samsom), or on a group (the Apostles at Pentecost).

Here's a little test for the group......

How many times are "The seven Spirits of God" listed in Revelation?

Ans....4 Huh...must be "Seven Spirits of God" as listed by Isa 11:2 making up the complete Holy Spirit (God's power, essence and attributes).

How many times is "The Holy Ghost (ie third person of the trinity)" listed in Revelation? Ans....0......

It is the greek-gnosto development of NT scriptures that screws this term up.

Sorry about the futher confusion.... :)

Is there a difference in Ghost and Spirit? That would be a big fat YES.....

Y'all do yourselves a favor and study the Holy Ghost from the Jewish perspective.....I'll even post the link....

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view. ... 5&letter=H

The thing is dude, when you say Holy Ghost, everybody knows that you are talking about the Holy Spirit. This thing does not have to be complicated.

Lewis W said:
The thing is dude, when you say Holy Ghost, everybody knows that you are talking about the Holy Spirit. This thing does not have to be complicated.

No...that's not the thing, dude.....Ghost and Spirit are 2 different things (in this context)....and you saying they are is exactly what the problem I'm suggesting is. Folks can't get out of the mental picture rut that the Holy Spirit isn't Casper (the friendly ghost).

The Holy Spirit is the telekinetic spirit of God that allows man (when energized by the Holy Spirit) to perform acts way above the limit of what he could do on his own...

Lewis.....I quoted the seven spirit references in both Rev and Isa.....these do not refer to Casper...they refer to the power of God...

When God wants to have man perform as he wishes...he will's that man to do so. The act of the thought projection to give that man super human ability is God's Holy Spirit. It is the same spirit that every man has, but God's Spirit is "Holy"...set apart, but in essence the same as the man he created.

I did not read the entire thread. When I read the first post, I went to the e-bible, opened the concordance on Acts 2, and looked it up. The word Ghost, and the word Spirit are both #4151. Here is what the concordance says.

1) the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son

a) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his personality and character (the "Holy" Spirit)

b) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his work and power (the Spirit of "Truth")

c) never referred to as a depersonalised force

2) the spirit, i.e. the vital principal by which the body is animated

a) the rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides

b) the soul

3) a spirit, i.e. a simple essence, devoid of all or at least all grosser matter, and possessed of the power of knowing, desiring, deciding, and acting

a) a life giving spirit

b) a human soul that has left the body

c) a spirit higher than man but lower than God, i.e. an angel

1) used of demons, or evil spirits, who were conceived as inhabiting the bodies of men

2) the spiritual nature of Christ, higher than the highest angels and equal to God, the divine nature of Christ

4) the disposition or influence which fills and governs the soul of any one

a) the efficient source of any power, affection, emotion, desire, etc.

5) a movement of air (a gentle blast)

a) of the wind, hence the wind itself

b) breath of nostrils or mouth
AV - Spirit 111, Holy Ghost 89, Spirit (of God) 13,
Spirit (of the Lord) 5, (My) Spirit 3, Spirit (of truth) 3,
Spirit (of Christ) 2, human (spirit) 49, (evil) spirit 47,
spirit (general) 26, spirit 8, (Jesus' own) spirit 6,
(Jesus' own) ghost 2, misc 21; 385

Thank you for that Gabby, now as for dude, even if so, everybody still knows who you are talking about, when you say Holy Ghost.

Lewis W said:
Thank you for that Gabby, now as for dude, even if so, everybody still knows who you are talking about, when you say Holy Ghost.

Still not getting it Lewis.....with all due respect...

Lewis your statement is not entirely correct...unless you are taught that there is a Ghost, there is no way in the world anyone picking up the Bible would consider a third entity in a co equal ruling system....no way.....

They would however, easily recognize the HS as the divine attributes of God that are bestowed on people as he chooses...in light of the Messianic Isa 11, there is no way to misinterpret it...

Here is an excersize.....stay with me on this experiment....don't deviate or you'll miss the point I'm trying to make....Start with a clear mind, no preconceptions (as much as possible).

Try imagining there is no Ghost entity.....There is just 1 entity, Jehohvah...that's it.....(in this excersize).

Now using the OT, what would you say the Holy Spirit is? (Isa 11:2) is the only conclusion you can possibly have...Is Isa 11:2 talking about a Spirit person? No....it's talking the about 7 spirits of God. Seven of couse is the Jewish number meaning completion or perfection...so Isa 11:2 is talking about the complete, or perfect Spirit of Jehovah. As the Messianic prophecy was fulfilled, Jesus had the complete 7 faceted Spirit of Jehovah descend on him at his baptism....A spirit/entity did not come down and give him a big bear hug...Jehovah zapped him with his energy to accomplish his task.

Even adding the Gospels...there is no mention of the Spirit in any manner other than it was used in the OT...that is (Isa. 11:2). Except for Mat 28:19 a suspected trinitarian edit there is no mention of the Spirit in any manner except as an attribute of/from Jehovah. The only thing in the Gospels are a translation of "him" when talking about the HS....it can also be translated as "it"...the winners of the translation battle are the trinitarians...that's why it is translated as "him"...

Even in the Pauline letters, there is no mention of the HS in any personal manner...it is still used in an attribute situation...

In Revelation, there is definetly no mention of the HS in any personal manner...

Regards,

The Dude.......

Dude! lol Can a non entity do this?

Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Can we grieve a nonentity?

Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Can God give us up to a nonentity?

1 Th 4:8 He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.

Georges said:
I say they are not the same.....

Georges said:

George, did you put your concordance on the shelf next to Paul's epistles?

Georges said:
The seven faceted Holy Spirit of God...as characterized in Isa 11:2.....is not a cognitive entity...these are devine attributes of God that he projects on whoever he chooses...

Isaiah 11:2 refers to characteristics of the one Spirit of God.

I know that you are going here, let me save you a trip.
Rev 1:4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace [be] unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

Rev 3:1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

The seven spirits of God are seven angels who are standing before the throne of God.

vic said:
Dude! lol Can a non entity do this?

Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Vic....interesting....here is a quiz for you...which definition below for Spirit was added because of trinitarianism?....

ruwach {roo'-akh}

TWOT Reference Root Word
TWOT - 2131a from 07306
Part of Speech
n f
Outline of Biblical Usage
1) wind, breath, mind, spirit

a) breath

b) wind

1) of heaven

2) quarter (of wind), side

3) breath of air

4) air, gas

5) vain, empty thing

c) spirit (as that which breathes quickly in animation or agitation)

1) spirit, animation, vivacity, vigour

2) courage

3) temper, anger

4) impatience, patience

5) spirit, disposition (as troubled, bitter, discontented)

6) disposition (of various kinds), unaccountable or uncontrollable impulse

7) prophetic spirit

d) spirit (of the living, breathing being in man and animals)

1) as gift, preserved by God, God's spirit, departing at death, disembodied being

e) spirit (as seat of emotion)

1) desire

2) sorrow, trouble

f) spirit

1) as seat or organ of mental acts

2) rarely of the will

3) as seat especially of moral character

g) Spirit of God, the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son

1) as inspiring ecstatic state of prophecy

2) as impelling prophet to utter instruction or warning

3) imparting warlike energy and executive and administrative power

4) as endowing men with various gifts

5) as energy of life

6) as manifest in the Shekinah glory

7) never referred to as a depersonalised force

Just a side note....many Rabbis considered this spirit to be the spirit of the Messiah....I say breath of God which contains the aspects of Isa 11:2.

Can we grieve a nonentity?

Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Vic...does your spirit grieve? Yes. Is your spirit separate from you? No. Is your spirit a separate entity? No. It is part of your being just as God's Spirit is part of his being...but not a faceless/nameless entity.

Can God give us up to a nonentity?

1 Th 4:8 He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.

Not getting at what you want here Vic...you have to be careful with Paul...he uses a lot of Hellinism in his work....Again, in the verse you presented above, this is not a separate entity, but rather God's own attributes who he superimposes on those he chooses.

Vic......what is your conception of Isa 11:2?

Georges said:
Gabbylittleangel said:
Georges said:
I say they are not the same.....

Georges said:

Nope...I presented the definitions on page 1 posts 3 and 4....I even highlighted the important definitions....you shouldn't have missed it... :)

Georges said:

Isaiah 11:2 refers to characteristics of the one Spirit of God.

Ding, ding, ding......give the poster a cigar......finally, someone who understands that these are the characteristics of Jehovah...and not a separate person...

I know that you are going here, let me save you a trip.

Too late...I already used them in a previous post....at this point, I'm thinking you didn't read the whole thread...

The seven spirits of God are seven angels who are standing before the throne of God.

No they are not.....separate things...nice try though.... :wink: and...although stars are angels...in this case the angels are the messengers of the synagogues...the seven spirits are not the seven angels...

Gabbylittleangel said:
Georges said:
Nope...I presented the definitions on page 1 posts 3 and 4....I even highlighted the important definitions....you shouldn't have missed it... :)

George, it looks to me as if you picked up a Dictionary by mistake. The Concordance uses one word that was translated into both Spirit and Ghost.

Gabbylittleangel said:

Georges said:
No they are not.....separate things...nice try though.... :wink: and...although stars are angels...in this case the angels are the messengers of the synagogues...the seven spirits are not the seven angels...

Rev. 1:4 says:...the seven Spirits which are before his throne;...
However .....George, you say that the seven Spirits that are before his throne are not actually spirits before his throne?

Gabbylittleangel said:
Gabbylittleangel said:
Georges said:

George, it looks to me as if you picked up a Dictionary by mistake. The Concordance uses one word that was translated into both Spirit and Ghost.

Oops...you are right there, sorry... :oops: I breezed over it....I did copy the concordance definition for the OT "spirit in a response later in the thread to Vic....

But I will take this oppurtunity to paste the definitions for both the OT "spirit" and NT "Spirit, Ghost"....

Lexicon Results for ruwach (Strong's 07307)
Hebrew for 07307

Pronunciation Guide
ruwach {roo'-akh}

TWOT Reference Root Word
TWOT - 2131a from 07306
Part of Speech
n f

a) breath
b) wind
1) of heaven
3) breath of air
4) air, gas
5) vain, empty thing

2) courage
3) temper, anger
4) impatience, patience
7) prophetic spirit

1) as gift, preserved by God, God's spirit, departing at death, disembodied being
1) desire
2) sorrow, trouble
f) spirit
2) rarely of the will
g) [b]Spirit of God[/b], the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son

5) as energy of life

Definition G is the only one that fits Isa 11:2 properly...here is the problem with this definition (g)....It has been trinically altered as there is no concept of a trinity in Judaism...in other words...subdefinitions 1-7 of "g" work for Isa 11:2, the trinity description of "g" should not be included because it doesn't match Judaism...it's a trinitarian addition to the word.

Gabbylittleangel said:

Georges said:

However .....George, you say that the seven Spirits that are before his throne are not actually spirits before his throne?

Gabbylittleangel said:
Gabbylittleangel said:
Georges said:

Oops...you are right there, sorry... :oops: I breezed over it....I did copy the concordance definition for the OT "spirit in a response later in the thread to Vic....

But I will take this oppurtunity to paste the definitions for both the OT "spirit" and NT "Spirit, Ghost"....

Hebrew for 07307

Pronunciation Guide
ruwach {roo'-akh}

TWOT Reference Root Word
TWOT - 2131a from 07306
Part of Speech
n f

a) breath
b) wind
1) of heaven
3) breath of air
4) air, gas
5) vain, empty thing

2) courage
3) temper, anger
4) impatience, patience
7) prophetic spirit

1) desire
2) sorrow, trouble
f) spirit
2) rarely of the will
g) [b]Spirit of God[/b], the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son

5) as energy of life

Definition G is the only one that fits Isa 11:2 properly...here is the problem with this definition (g)....It has been trinically altered as there is no concept of a trinity in Judaism...in other words...subdefinitions 1-7 of "g" work for Isa 11:2, the trinity description of "g" should not be included because it doesn't match Judaism...it's a trinitarian addition to the word.

NT for Ghost....

Lexicon Results for pneuma (Strong's 4151)
Greek for 4151

Pronunciation Guide
pneuma {pnyoo'-mah}

TDNT Reference Root Word
TDNT - 6:332,876 from 4154
Part of Speech
n n

1) the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son
a) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his personality and character (the "Holy" Spirit)
b) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his work and power (the Spirit of "Truth")
c) never referred to as a depersonalised force

a) the rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides
b) the soul

3) a spirit, i.e. a simple essence, devoid of all or at least all grosser matter, and possessed of the power of knowing, desiring, deciding, and acting
a) a life giving spirit
1) used of demons, or evil spirits, who were conceived as inhabiting the bodies of men
2) the spiritual nature of Christ, higher than the highest angels and equal to God, the divine nature of Christ

Here is the trouble Gabby....intertexual translation....words not matching in cross translation...."Pneuma" is the closest Greek word (but not quite) that matches (most closely) the Hebrew word "ruwach"....

Remove both references to the trinity in both definitions and you have 2 definitions that are pretty close....I will repost the definitions without the trinity references....WHY CAN I DO THAT? Because the concept of a trinity wasn't even in the developing stages for at least 100 years after the resurrection...

The Hebrew as it should read, without the trinity references....

Hebrew for 07307

Pronunciation Guide
ruwach {roo'-akh}

TWOT Reference Root Word
TWOT - 2131a from 07306
Part of Speech
n f

a) breath
b) wind
1) of heaven
3) breath of air
4) air, gas
5) vain, empty thing

2) courage
3) temper, anger
4) impatience, patience
7) prophetic spirit

1) desire
2) sorrow, trouble
f) spirit
2) rarely of the will

g) [b]Spirit of God[/b]

5) as energy of life

and the Greek without the trinity references (because the trinity was added in as a defintion later....)

Lexicon Results for pneuma (Strong's 4151)
Greek for 4151

Pronunciation Guide
pneuma {pnyoo'-mah}

TDNT Reference Root Word
TDNT - 6:332,876 from 4154
Part of Speech
n n

b) the soul

a) a life giving spirit
2) the spiritual nature of Christ

As you can see...without the trinity addition, the word definitions are fairly closes as a match and accomodate Isa 11:2.

Gabbylittleangel said:

Georges said:

No Gabby and I'd appreciate it if you didn't misrepresent my words....I believe I said the 7 spirits are not 7 angels...

There can be 7 angels as well as 7 Spirits...in visible form (i.e. tongues of fire).

What you are suggesting Gabby is this....

"Before God's throne, there are seven apples"....In another passage, is says, "There are seven oranges before God's throne". Your logic above suggests, since there is 7 apples before God and 7 oranges before God, that the the apples and the oranges are the same thing...

They are not....the 7 spirits before God, are not the 7 angels that stand before God...

I hope the colors aren't running together... :)

Lewis W said:
Dude your post are to long.

Sorry...in this case Gabby took me to task......I had to paste the entire definition for both the OT and NT spirit to prove my point...One is the Hebrew conception minus the later added trinity and the other is the Greek conception minus the later added trinity definiton.

Both definitions are similar but not quite the same...as found with other Hebrew to Greek words....

The Hebrew word "Ruach" translating to the Greek "Logos" is another example of words close in definition but different in concept.

[quote="Georges......I had to paste the entire definition for both the OT and NT spirit to prove my point....[/quote]
Oh gee. I hate to be the one to tell you this, after you went to all that work :smt040
You proved nothing.

Georges said:
......I had to paste the entire definition for both the OT and NT spirit to prove my point....
Gabbylittleangel said:
Oh gee. I hate to be the one to tell you this, after you went to all that work :smt040
You proved nothing.

Georges is diverting the attention away from the specific scriptures that speak of the Holy Ghost and the cross references to them showing Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit are one and the same. Now He is going in all directions groping this way and that bringing angels into this matter as if they have some sort of separate form about them, as if it means something other than being Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost embodiment. :-?

Georges, you didn't dispute the cross references I gave earlier.

The bible gives enough definition in the cross references scriptures in the New Testament in reference to the scriptures in the Old Testament on the what and who the Holy Ghost is. You don't need any concordance, dictionary or Lexicon to back it up. The bible is clear enough on the scriptures that are being referred to and in agreement showing the truth.

I can give more comparisons from out of the list of 89 scriptures which have the words "Holy Ghost" in them and show you that in that list the "Holy Ghost" which is written of in the "New Testament" is referring to the "Holy Spirit", but would it convince you? :-?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back