Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Horrifying. "Given eternal flesh to feel pain for eternity".

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Deavonreye

This thread pulls from another thread that was closed do to UR issues.

But I sat here . . . horrified. . . at the thought that was stated in response to my question:

"I would like to know how a 'spirit being' is affected by a literal fire"?

I've heard this before [when I was still in church], and was disgusted in it then, but this ideology was stated again on here.

The answer was basically [and paraphrased] that "the damned are given new bodies of flesh and blood so that, when sent to hell, they will FEEL the pain of the literal fire!" What amazes me is that this type of thought can be expressed so openly and without apology, . . . and even with an aire of "they deserve it". It is one of the things that caused me to be be drawn forcefully away from my church doctrine. The thought of this [if true] is, in my opinion, the very height of evil.

My question is, . . . do you believe this ideology to be false?

But I sat here . . . horrified. . . at the thought that was stated in response to my question:

I've heard this before [when I was still in church], and was disgusted in it then, but this ideology was stated again on here.

The answer was basically [and paraphrased] that "the damned are given new bodies of flesh and blood so that, when sent to hell, they will FEEL the pain of the literal fire!" What amazes me is that this type of thought can be expressed so openly and without apology, . . . and even with an aire of "they deserve it". It is one of the things that caused me to be be drawn forcefully away from my church doctrine. The thought of this [if true] is, in my opinion, the very height of evil.

I have my doubts. I really don't think anyone knows for sure. The Scripture speaks of outer darkness which would be eternal separation from God, who is light. We can only know the that God, the Judge of the whole earth, will do right.

What is popular is not always true, and what is true is not always popular, check a Greek Translation (like Young's) on the few verses that actually are used to support the eternal punishment position.You will be surprised! Bubba

Bubba, I wouldn't know where to look for what you are suggesting. Could you post a synopsis, please?

Here is one example with Mt. 25:46:
"And these shall go away into EVERLASTING PUNISHMENT; but the righteous into ETERNAL LIFE."

Young's - "And these shall go away to punishment AGE DURING, but the righteous to life AGE-DURING."
If this verse is indeed speaking to the Jew and the destruction of the Temple, end of the Jewish religion and judgment, then Young's makes perfect sense.
Here is a second example with 2 Thess. 1:9:
"Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;"
Young's –" 9who shall suffer justice -- destruction AGE DURING -- from the face of the Lord, and from the glory of his strength,"
Again, if Paul is speaking to the impending judgment of the Jerusalem, which occurred in 70 A.D., Young's makes perfect sense.
Both verses speak to the age and realm of the 1st century, not the afterlife, though there may be a time of correction in the next life, which the word for punishment used in Mt. 25:46 means. Bubba

I have a feeling that a lot of the "future events" actually had to do with 1st century folk. Thanks for your input, Bubba.

Yes, it is horrifying. It is meant to be. It's the Gospel. Run to the Saviour---not away from Him.

John 3:16 AMPLIFIED
For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life.

Alabaster, . . . . . I'm sorry, but I couldn't run to such an entity that would do such a thing to those who only "chose poorly". . . . if what you say is true. I couldn't consciously do that and live with my actions. . . which would be one of condoning. :nono2

this is NOT the proper forum for the discussion of UR doctrine.

the one and one debate forum is.

please do so there. i would prefer not to lock this thread.

this is NOT the proper forum for the discussion of UR doctrine.

the one and one debate forum is.

please do so there. i would prefer not to lock this thread.

Jason, . . . I'm not going the route of Universal Reconsiliation. I hope no one else does either, so that the thread doesn't get locked.

Jason, . . . I'm not going the route of Universal Reconsiliation. I hope no one else does either, so that the thread doesn't get locked.

i know that but i ask that its done there as that is the rules.

per the site admin. i was here when that set in motion(its a reallly good idea).it limits ur from being promoted all over the end times, and lets the ur believer discuss his beliefs.

Alabaster, . . . . . I'm sorry, but I couldn't run to such an entity that would do such a thing to those who only "chose poorly". . . . if what you say is true. I couldn't consciously do that and live with my actions. . . which would be one of condoning. :nono2

Then you will miss out on eternal life...His promise to you. It's your choice.

Alabaster, I would have no problems with christianity [except, of course, the complete lack of connection] if there weren't the issues I've discovered and have made posts about.

This one is VERY serious to me. Giving the "damned dead" new fleshly bodies that will experience the pain and suffering is extremely evil to me. I don't understand how anyone could see it as "a good thing".

Alabaster, I would have no problems with christianity [except, of course, the complete lack of connection] if there weren't the issues I've discovered and have made posts about.

This one is VERY serious to me. Giving the "damned dead" new fleshly bodies that will experience the pain and suffering is extremely evil to me. I don't understand how anyone could see it as "a good thing".

It isn't evil. It is the just result of evil.

Alabaster, as you stated, . . . and my former church taught, . . . . this isn't just "justice", . . . giving people the means to FEEL an "eternal fire" for all eternity is completely unecessary and [I'm sorry] is HIGHLY evil and vandictive, to be honest.

IF "hell" was created for "the devil and his angels", . . . are THEY given these "flesh and blood bodies to feel pain"?

Here is one example with Mt. 25:46:
"And these shall go away into EVERLASTING PUNISHMENT; but the righteous into ETERNAL LIFE."

Young's - "And these shall go away to punishment AGE DURING, but the righteous to life AGE-DURING."
If this verse is indeed speaking to the Jew and the destruction of the Temple, end of the Jewish religion and judgment, then Young's makes perfect sense.
Can you explain this thought please? I can't see that it makes ANY SENSE when you attempt to apply it to the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem, especially when you consider the 15 verses which precede the verse which you have quoted.

Matt. 25:31-33 "And whenever the Son of Man may come in his glory, and all the holy messengers with Him, then He shall sit upon a throne of His glory and gathered together before Him shall be all the nations, and He shall separate them one from another, as the shepard doth separate the sheep from the goats, and He shall set the sheep indeed on His right hand, and the goats on the left" Young's Literal Translation

And then carry on up to where you quoted with Matt. 25:46 "And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during" YLT

Looking forward to your thoughts, Westtexas

Alabaster, as you stated, . . . and my former church taught, . . . . this isn't just "justice", . . . giving people the means to FEEL an "eternal fire" for all eternity is completely unecessary and [I'm sorry] is HIGHLY evil and vandictive, to be honest.

IF "hell" was created for "the devil and his angels", . . . are THEY given these "flesh and blood bodies to feel pain"?

No. Apparently flaming brimstone is suitable to torment spirit beings. Man is not meant to suffer it, but as he aligns himself with Satan, there is no escaping it in the form we all are to be given once we are resurrected.

Although this is popularly believed, I do not believe such a position can be sustained when held against all that Scripture states.

John 5:28-29 NLT
Don’t be so surprised! Indeed, the time is coming when all the dead in their graves will hear the voice of God’s Son, and they will rise again. Those who have done good will rise to experience eternal life, and those who have continued in evil will rise to experience judgment.

Acts 24:15 NLT
I have the same hope in God that these men have, that he will raise both the righteous and the unrighteous.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back