Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

How do you feel about Pagans?

How do you feel about pagans?

• They are just like you and I

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I feel negatively towards them

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I enjoy their company

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I don't understand them and fear what they are capable of

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I'm indifferent

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
in regards to the lack of value of life no i do not believe that it automatically has value, if a person does nothing with thier life then it is wasted and therefore is worthless.

Oh, my... :shame

So, how do you determine if someone "does nothing with their life"? And if it never amounted to anything but a glob of cells, why would any life be worth more than the next?

What do people need to do with their lives so that they weren't "wasted" and "worthless"?

Oh, my... :shame

So, how do you determine if someone "does nothing with their life"? And if it never amounted to anything but a glob of cells, why would any life be worth more than the next?

What do people need to do with their lives so that they weren't "wasted" and "worthless"?

well to me they are worth the same... almost nothing.

take for instance a person who is content lifing with thier parents for thier life, never working(or mabye mcdees sub manager) all they do is watch tv possiably smoke pot, and live off socitey. thier whole life just sponging off others. not disabled not injured just lazy. does this life honestly have value?

as to what a person needs to do to give thier life value, something worthwhile would be a good start. worthwhile to who? up to that person who is trying to make thier life worth something.

take for instance a person who is content lifing with thier parents for thier life, never working(or mabye mcdees sub manager) all they do is watch tv possiably smoke pot, and live off socitey. thier whole life just sponging off others. not disabled not injured just lazy. does this life honestly have value?

as to what a person needs to do to give thier life value, something worthwhile would be a good start. worthwhile to who? up to that person who is trying to make thier life worth something.

I believe you need to think this over more. Even within your own post, you disagree with yourself. Think about what you said in your first sentence as opposed to your over all point. I don't know what you've accomplished in your life so far, but I can guarantee there are some who could say your life has not amounted to much. Some might admire you for what you've done. Who's opinion of you matters, and why? And if they're opinion doesn't matter, then you point is nullified.

I'm sorry, but your thoughts are kinda jumbled, and they're full of flaws because from a nihilist POV, it's all subjective. It is NOT subjective from a Christian POV. This is something you must spend more time with in honest contemplation.

I believe you need to think this over more. Even within your own post, you disagree with yourself. Think about what you said in your first sentence as opposed to your over all point. I don't know what you've accomplished in your life so far, but I can guarantee there are some who could say your life has not amounted to much. Some might admire you for what you've done. Who's opinion of you matters, and why? And if they're opinion doesn't matter, then you point is nullified.

I'm sorry, but your thoughts are kinda jumbled, and they're full of flaws because from a nihilist POV, it's all subjective. It is NOT subjective from a Christian POV. This is something you must spend more time with in honest contemplation.

i covered both, to me most life is worth nothing or very little.
Then answered the question on makes a life worthwhile. To whom is the question that needs to be defined and that can only be defined by the individual.
As to the life example given that was a counter point to the Christian view. and an honest question from me. probably not the best phrasing but the points are there.

i covered both, to me most life is worth nothing or very little.
But you first said they're worth the same.

I'm not trying to be difficult. Maybe I'm not understanding you, but I see contradictions within your statements.
Like this...

Then answered the question on makes a life worthwhile.
when you just said they are all worth the same... almost nothing.

I see two problems with what you've posted. You seem to contradict yourself and you give very subjective reasoning when you argue for one of your points. Take, for instance, the "loser" who works at McDonald's and lives with his mother. What if this person also dedicated his life to volunteering at a homeless shelter, McDonald's afforded him the flexibility to spend his days there, but he couldn't afford his own place? Would his life have been worth nothing, having spent a life dedicated to serving others without chasing wealth?

If you're a nihilist, it seems you should be consistent and say every life is worth nothing, because in the end we all dissolve into nothing, as will the planet we live on. It seems to me, this kind of nihilist would be consistent with that belief system. I'm not interrogating you. I'm just trying to better understand you. :)

But you first said they're worth the same.

I'm not trying to be difficult. Maybe I'm not understanding you, but I see contradictions within your statements.
Like this...

when you just said they are all worth the same... almost nothing.

I see two problems with what you've posted. You seem to contradict yourself and you give very subjective reasoning when you argue for one of your points. Take, for instance, the "loser" who works at McDonald's and lives with his mother. What if this person also dedicated his life to volunteering at a homeless shelter, McDonald's afforded him the flexibility to spend his days there, but he couldn't afford his own place? Would his life have been worth nothing, having spent a life dedicated to serving others without chasing wealth?

If you're a nihilist, it seems you should be consistent and say every life is worth nothing, because in the end we all dissolve into nothing, as will the planet we live on. It seems to me, this kind of nihilist would be consistent with that belief system. I'm not interrogating you. I'm just trying to better understand you. :)

ok to me most life IS worthless or virtually so. there are exceptions of course. my dog for instance:biggrin his little puppy life is worth something to me. after all even a nihilist likes puppies.

the statement regarding the "loser" was a question from a nihilist to a christian where in a life could hardly be called worthwile or valued.

A better example would be my wifes engagement ring, it was my grandmothers, to ME it is worth more than the stones and platinum it is made of because of my family history with it. to another person it is just a ring nothing special, pretty, but no aditional value to it.

Value is a subjective thing. if someone wishes to assign a value to life that is not my issue. It is not up to me to decide if they are right or wrong, I may or may not disagree but does that make them wrong, I would not presume to decide that.

I follow more of the moral nihilistic philosophy

on a side note i re-read the initial post and I have to admit I'm not only a nihilist but also the one who wrote it and i still dont get it.

Maybe I am paranoid, but I question the motives of a new member (one post) that sets up a poll and does not provide a bio of any sort or context of where they are from (online communities) or to what purpose the poll is for. Being a member of a popular atheist website. I have seen members bait people for the sole purpose of ridicule. Just a thought.

in regards to the lack of value of life no i do not believe that it automatically has value, if a person does nothing with thier life then it is wasted and therefore is worthless.

also Infidel: (from websters) noun
1.unbeliever: somebody who does not believe in a major religion, especially Christianity or Islam
2.nonbeliever: somebody with no religious belief

as to murder or killing someone, yep, dont want to get into it but I spent 3 years in Iraq.

interms of adultry... meh if she wants someone else, whatever.

the rest of the commandments i forget em....:o

i now know why you are nilhist.

with this death desensitivity thing. are you at least seeking help from the va?

i say that well i can relate far more then you may think even thought i didnt take a life in country. i saw more death and vanity of man then i care and cant easily shrugg it off. the only difference tween us is maybe i went to god with it and you either didnt know god or let it get to you.understanble. most christians that arent vets wont understand what it is they ask us to do.

i have had ptsd in the past. god is able to heal you of that.

Pagans tend to hold the chaos of nature as the over-arching principle, eat or be eaten/ kill or be killed. While I see it has a place in the general scheme of things, I don't think its a real basis for morality. In fact, its morally vacuous. Where I differ with them, fundamentally, is that I see agape as the over-arching principle. A pagan would have to understand, from even observing nature, that all things are interconnected. Well, I see the selfless love of Christ as the greatest affirmation of that interconnectedness that a human being could be capable of, specifically spreading his ministry of love even though he got nothing for it socially other than being brutally executed.

If everyone acted out of genuine love to everyone we encountered, even if they hate us and even if they killed us (picked up our cross and walked the walk of Christ), this world would be a much better place, I'm convinced.

Last edited by a moderator:
i now know why you are nilhist.

with this death desensitivity thing. are you at least seeking help from the va?

i say that well i can relate far more then you may think even thought i didnt take a life in country. i saw more death and vanity of man then i care and cant easily shrugg it off. the only difference tween us is maybe i went to god with it and you either didnt know god or let it get to you.understanble. most christians that arent vets wont understand what it is they ask us to do.

i have had ptsd in the past. god is able to heal you of that.

Oddly enouth I was a Nihilist prior to the time in country. For me the reasons are more the people that worship on sunday and then do whatever the rest of the week. That was what initially pushed me away from Christianity. Then after deciding on Nihilism I became a happier person. The killing thing was trained to be no big deal it just so happens to fit with my views on things.

It depends on the form of paganism, I believe some worship God under a different name. An example of that would be Odin.

When you find a new people do you communicate with them in your language or do you learn theirs? Isn't it logical that God would speak to all men in a way that they can understand? Is it a leap that Odin, who sacrificed himself to himself by nailing himself to the Tree of Knowledge, is but another name of God? Isn't it logical that he would present himself in such a form to prepare an uncivilized people for his coming?

It depends on the form of paganism, I believe some worship God under a different name. An example of that would be Odin.

When you find a new people do you communicate with them in your language or do you learn theirs? Isn't it logical that God would speak to all men in a way that they can understand? Is it a leap that Odin, who sacrificed himself to himself by nailing himself to the Tree of Knowledge, is but another name of God? Isn't it logical that he would present himself in such a form to prepare an uncivilized people for his coming?

yes it would be a stretch.
no they don't worship our Lord.

mark

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back