Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study How Many People Realize Matthew 11:28-30?

Unfortunately Jesus showed there wont be faith at the end, a falling away now, so nobody is interested, and many hear those false teachers instead. ( but just as Christ revealed about the Pharisees, it is revealed about those same false teachers right now too.)

Luke 18:8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

Whatever God put's on your heart,

Hmmm... Is that how we are told to pray in Scripture? Do we just wait for the Spirit to "put something on our hearts"? Or do we pray God's will for one another as He's expressed it to us in His word, the Bible? If it's the latter - and I think it is - what has God said is His will for you in your situation? According to God, for what ought I to pray in your particular situation for you? I'm asking because I think, if you knew, you would not need us to pray for you.

What is the question mark for? You asked "That way you do not understand, what I mean is do you realize what is being said in that passage?" and I replied "Yes I do. It was that part of Scripture that was read to me just before Jesus healed me in the hospital." So I do realize what is being said in that passage, even though "realize" is an understatement.

I was an atheist and was hospitalized with asthma; the doctors couldn't break the spasm. A pastor with whom I had been arguing(!) about Christianity came to my bedside and read Matthew 11:28-30, then prayed "Jesus, heal this man". The spasm broke immediately -- I was healed! -- and I instantly knew that Jesus was (and is) my Savior.

Now I understand what you are saying in post #11, the scriptures to me are about: An Invitation To Come Unto Jesus, and about the hospital, and I now understand also.

Last edited:
Now I understand what you are saying in post #11, the scriptures to me are saying about: An Invitation To Come Unto Jesus.
I was referring to the symbolism of Matthew 11:28-30: “Come to me, all you who are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

The image of that of oxen who are struggling under heavy burdens [sin], but the master will ease them. He will re-yoke them and make their lives much easier.

What is the question mark for? You asked "That way you do not understand, what I mean is do you realize what is being said in that passage?" and I replied "Yes I do. It was that part of Scripture that was read to me just before Jesus healed me in the hospital." So I do realize what is being said in that passage, even though "realize" is an understatement.

I was an atheist and was hospitalized with asthma; the doctors couldn't break the spasm. A pastor with whom I had been arguing(!) about Christianity came to my bedside and read Matthew 11:28-30, then prayed "Jesus, heal this man". The spasm broke immediately -- I was healed! -- and I instantly knew that Jesus was (and is) my Savior.
Hello jaybo, Praise the Lord! Brother.

Love, Walter

Hmmm... Is that how we are told to pray in Scripture? Do we just wait for the Spirit to "put something on our hearts"? Or do we pray God's will for one another as He's expressed it to us in His word, the Bible? If it's the latter - and I think it is - what has God said is His will for you in your situation? According to God, for what ought I to pray in your particular situation for you? I'm asking because I think, if you knew, you would not need us to pray for you.
I am struggling on how to desire the things of God in every situation rather the things I would want to do, but
"For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” - Matthew 18:20.

That's why I am asking for more spiritual ammo from my fellow brothers and sisters.

Just what Soldiers asked for, "Desiring God over sin".

We pray that he draws closer to God and that God will reveal himself to Soldiers the closer he comes to Him.
I agree with for_his_glory

Roman’s 6:14 kjv
14. For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

We are praying for the dominion of sin to be broken. And I am not saying Soldiers is all wrong but that the closer union takes place.

The law written in stone is a heavy burden. The law written in a new heart of flesh is grace in action.

The carnal mind does not have the mind of Christ. The mind of Christ in us is liberty from bondage/dominion.

Jesus knocks at the door, we hear the voice and open the door. How much closer can we be?

eddif

I am struggling on how to desire the things of God in every situation rather the things I would want to do, but
"For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” - Matthew 18:20.

That's why I am asking for more spiritual ammo from my fellow brothers and sisters.

Brother, the moment you were born-again, you obtained everything you need, and all that God can possible give you, in order to be a godly individual. In the Person of the Holy Spirit who, by coming to live within you, has made you spiritually alive and placed you "in Christ," you are now fully in possession of all the power you require to be who God wants you to be. So, if you aren't living daily in an experience of the Spirit's power, why not? Here are some verses that explain how to be filled with the Holy Spirit:

James 4:7 (NASB)
7 Submit therefore to God...

Romans 12:1 (NASB)
1 Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.

Romans 6:13 (NASB)
13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.

1 Peter 5:6 (NASB)
6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time,

Many times, Christians are pleading with God for help but they never think to submit themselves to Him. But so long as a Christian is not submitted to God, they are a rebel toward Him. And so long as they are in this rebellious (and thus sinful) state, God will not fill them with Himself.

Follow Christ's example in the Garden of Gethsemane just before his crucifixion and say to God as often as it occurs to you to do so, as often as the temptation to follow your own way arises, "Not my will but yours be done. Control my thoughts, words and deeds."

As you live in daily, even moment-by-moment surrender to God's will and way, the Holy Spirit goes to work on what you desire, dissolving sinful desires, and giving you new godly ones. His work takes time, as all growth and change does, but the key is to walk through every day with God, not as a rebel, but as "living sacrifice" to Him.

Looks like the thread misses the scriptures, here it is again.

Jesus shows He is hidden from the wise and prudent and revealed to babes.

Those babes come to Christ ( that is who He is revealed to and who He calls) away from the leaders of the people, scribes, Pharisee and lawyers.

They bind heavy burdens grievous to be borne, and do nothing themselves ( only talk like on forums) and they take away the keep of knowledge, they don't enter heaven and hinder others trying to.)

This is rest to the souls for the babes, away from the " wise and prudent"

Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.
26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.
27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Luke 11:52 Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.

Matthew 23:2 Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

Realising that the key of knowledge is taken away by the lawyers, they are finished from teaching every man their neighbour. ( that is how men only go to Christ who is lowly, and not the exalted ones who try to teach on daily.)

Hebrews 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

Brother, the moment you were born-again, you obtained everything you need, and all that God can possible give you, in order to be a godly individual. In the Person of the Holy Spirit who, by coming to live within you, has made you spiritually alive and placed you "in Christ," you are now fully in possession of all the power you require to be who God wants you to be. So, if you aren't living daily in an experience of the Spirit's power, why not? Here are some verses that explain how to be filled with the Holy Spirit:

James 4:7 (NASB)
7 Submit therefore to God...

Romans 12:1 (NASB)
1 Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.

Romans 6:13 (NASB)
13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.

1 Peter 5:6 (NASB)
6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time,

Many times, Christians are pleading with God for help but they never think to submit themselves to Him. But so long as a Christian is not submitted to God, they are a rebel toward Him. And so long as they are in this rebellious (and thus sinful) state, God will not fill them with Himself.

Follow Christ's example in the Garden of Gethsemane just before his crucifixion and say to God as often as it occurs to you to do so, as often as the temptation to follow your own way arises, "Not my will but yours be done. Control my thoughts, words and deeds."

As you live in daily, even moment-by-moment surrender to God's will and way, the Holy Spirit goes to work on what you desire, dissolving sinful desires, and giving you new godly ones. His work takes time, as all growth and change does, but the key is to walk through every day with God, not as a rebel, but as "living sacrifice" to Him.
But, we have to also remember that we still live in this corruptible body that is prone to sin at times as flesh and Spirit can not mix as the flesh is a hostile enemy against the Spirit, Galatians 5:16-26, as none of us are perfect, but yet allow God to perfect us daily as we draw even closer to Him and learn of His ways. It's when we recognize the continued sin that is within us is when we bring it to God and His grace will always pardon us and we are also told to go and sin no more. The battles we deal with belong to the Lord as He will always give us the victory over that which we struggle with.

2 Peter 1:5 kjv
5. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6. And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7. And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
8. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither bebarren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Our faith in Jesus is not the end of what happens:
Now
And at the last trump

Now - we seek the divine nature
At the last trump - we are changed

Mississippi redneck
eddif

But, we have to also remember that we still live in this corruptible body that is prone to sin at times as flesh and Spirit can not mix as the flesh is a hostile enemy against the Spirit, Galatians 5:16-26, as none of us are perfect, but yet allow God to perfect us daily as we draw even closer to Him and learn of His ways.

Why do we have to remember that we live in this corruptible body that is prone to sin? It seems to me it's impossible for us to forget for the reasons you pointed out: We're prone to fleshliness (which produces sin) and the devil is working always to bring us into bondage to himself (which also produces sin). In my experience, what Christians forget - or don't know at all - are the things I pointed out to Soldiers. For decades, as a believer, I didn't know them myself. But when a child of God understands the enormous importance of constant surrender to Him, the trying, laboring, striving, and warring end and the infinite power, peace, joy and love of God fill and overflow from them instead.

I'd point out, too, that there is no drawing closer to God apart from submission to Him. Too often, though, Christians attempt to "draw close" without yielding themselves as "living sacrifices" to God first and so get a pretty tepid spiritual result. As I pointed out to Soldiers, so long as I neglect to submit to God, I stand as a rebel to Him which quite hamstrings any attempts at drawing close to Him I might attempt.

It's when we recognize the continued sin that is within us is when we bring it to God and His grace will always pardon us and we are also told to go and sin no more.

As Paul wrote to the believers at Rome, "where sin abounded, grace did much more abound" (Romans 5:20). Thank God that we can't sin beyond the limits of His endless grace! But, you know, Paul went on to write the following:

Romans 6:1-2 (NASB)
1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?
2 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?

Paul didn't remark that the believers at Rome weren't perfect, cutting their sin some slack because it was, after all, inevitable that they should sin. Instead, he sounded puzzled and surprised at the attitude toward sin the believers at Rome had adopted. Rather than constantly relying on God's grace to cover their sin, Paul urged them to understand that they were dead to sin and ought then never to live in it. "May it never be!" he exclaimed, that those who've been made dead to sin by their union with Christ in his death, burial and resurrection should continue in sin.

Many Christians today, though, have taken up the idea that they must reconcile themselves to a walk with God that is mired in sin. They extol His grace, having to take heavy advantage of it every day, but know little of the power of God to liberate them fully from the power of the "old man" and the sin he produces. But listen to Paul:

Romans 6:6-7 (NASB)
6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin;
7 for he who has died is freed from sin.

Romans 6:11-12 (NASB)
11 Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts,

Romans 6:14 (NASB)
14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

Does Paul sound like he'd settled into a sin-confession-sin-confession cycle, resigned to the idea that his life would always be fouled constantly by sin? Not at all! But when I share this stuff with Christians these days, they look at me like I'm nuts and often grow very defensive as they realize the life Paul described in Romans 6 is nothing like the life they are living. I promote the identification truths of Romans 6, though, not to shame or disturb my brothers and sisters in the Lord, but to help them enter into the normal Christian life that they ought to be enjoying with God.

Back