Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How old when ears were (first) pierced?

How old, when your ears were (first) pierced?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Man you really like this tatt and piercing theme. I got my ears pierced around 22 because I was trying to make myself look like someone who got with girls. I really didn't care what it looked like I was just going for some kind of image. Do you do this for a living or have a bunch of tattoos or something?

Gordon: It's undeniably relevant today; and no I don't own a parlor. :)

This thread is more about piercing, though. I guess a somewhat lighthearted and superficial social history of it?

PS: Thanks for your vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm never had my ears pierced, but I did pierce my lower lip some time ago. since removed and the hole has grown back over.

Paul1965:

You're in Thailand, right? I guess piercing customs vary considerably worldwide; this thread is kind of parochially North American, I guess ... Ty for comment.

23 and I did it myself, ice cubes were heplful. One in each ear. My three daughters all have pierced ears. One in one ear and two in the other I think. None of us are flabouyant so we wear little studs most of the time. They don't hurt like clip-ons or get in the way to answer the phone or fall out easily. They are just plain better than clip-ons.
I have a friend who is 62 and a couple of years ago she got her nose pierced. She wears a tiny tiny diamond stud. I was so sursprised she quite respectable and mature but young at heart. Oh and she has a little tat on just above her ankle. Amazing. I never woulda thunk it.

23 and I did it myself, ice cubes were heplful. One in each ear. My three daughters all have pierced ears. One in one ear and two in the other I think. None of us are flabouyant so we wear little studs most of the time. They don't hurt like clip-ons or get in the way to answer the phone or fall out easily. They are just plain better than clip-ons.
I have a friend who is 62 and a couple of years ago she got her nose pierced. She wears a tiny tiny diamond stud. I was so sursprised she quite respectable and mature but young at heart. Oh and she has a little tat on just above her ankle. Amazing. I never woulda thunk it.

Ty Deborah13 for your comments.

Yes, often it's the younger generation in a family that gets double holes before the generation above does - if it happens at all. (I'm not surprised about your friend's tattoo, though; it's a woman thing now that is done very widely.)
Blessings.

I remember I was 8 years old and was shopping with my mom and dad at Montgomery Wards (goes to show you how old I am) and my dad walked me over to a lady in the aisle. Then in high school I had a bunch of girlfriends over and got a second hole in each ear with the original earrings I had when I was 8. We put a potato behind my ear and did it the old fashioned way. I never wear earrings in the 2nd hole though and rarely wear earrings....

PS: BornAgain:

Yes, Christine, re-reading now, what you say about second holes rings true.

Maybe getting second holes is a definite stage that is gone through (including for moms, even), like, to make sure that they are there (whether or not they are always used afterward), if this makes sense?

PS: BornAgain:

Yes, Christine, re-reading now, what you say about second holes rings true.

Maybe getting second holes is a definite stage that is gone through (including for moms, even), like, to make sure that they are there (whether or not they are always used afterward), if this makes sense?

I was a teenager in the late 70's and it and it was a trend at the time...

I was a teenager in the late 70's and it and it was a trend at the time...

Christine:

Yes it was indeed. And very, very soon the trend didn't stop with the teens; it was their moms that were doing it, so many of them, weren't they?

I guess it's kind of a rite of passage in itself, really, the second holes as well as the firsts. And really, today, from a cultural history point of view, the parlor trip on one's 18th birthday for a first tattoo (that seems to be increasingly a rite of passage that is now observed by 18 year olds) is really simply a kind of alternative thing to teen girls and moms going to the mall 30 years ago for second holes.

(Two cents'; if it makes any sense?)

Christine:

Yes it was indeed. And very, very soon the trend didn't stop with the teens; it was their moms that were doing it, so many of them, weren't they?

I guess it's kind of a rite of passage in itself, really, the second holes as well as the firsts. And really, the parlor trip on one's 18th birthday for a first tattoo (that seems to be increasingly a rite of passage that is observed today by 18 year olds) is really simply a kind of alternative thing to teen girls and moms going to the mall 30 years ago for second holes.

(Two cents'; if it makes any sense?)

I agree about the 18 year old's getting tattoos, that is the new trend now. I just wonder what they will think of them at our age? There will probably be a huge industry for tattoo removals!

I agree about the 18 year old's getting tattoos, that is the new trend now. I just wonder what they will think of them at our age? There will probably be a huge industry for tattoo removals!

BornAgain:

Well, to respond to what you're wondering: years later probably a lot will think something along the lines of: "It was a stage that we all felt we had to go through, (like an alternative to double pierced ears); it was nice at the time and it didn't really do us any harm."

Something like this, I guess, right?

Anyway, I don't really find it objectionable if they do it, do you?

Christine:

Well, to respond to what you're wondering: years later probably a lot will think something along the lines of: "It was a stage that we all felt we had to go through, (like an alternative to double pierced ears); it was nice at the time and it didn't really do us any harm."

Something like this, I guess, right?

Anyway, I don't really find it objectionable if they do it, do you?

Yes, I think back when I got mine and the "stage" I was going through. That was 10 years ago and definitely feel different about it now. So true we all go through different stages. Now that I am 50 I think back about all of the decisions I made during my entire life...I think it is true we change every decade. Do you think so?

Yes, I think back when I got mine and the "stage" I was going through. That was 10 years ago and definitely feel different about it now. So true we all go through different stages. Now that I am 50 I think back about all of the decisions I made during my entire life...I think it is true we change every decade. Do you think so?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:tongueunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:biggrinontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
Yes, well, there might be some truth to what you say. For me, the Scriptures are the great constant, but we do change our perceptions and preferences to some extent, I’m sure. In general terms, we need an ongoing, healthy, repentant attitude. When it comes to the more subjective things, it’s reasonable that our preferences develop, maybe from what they were. I don’t see much point in people ‘regretting’ having gotten 2<sup>nd</sup>/3<sup>rd</sup> holes pierced, or whatever: for a lot of ppl they would simply reflect a ‘stage’ in the development of personal and subjective preferences. (I guess a similar comment could apply to a decision to become tattooed, whether at 18, or 40, or whatever.)

Hope this makes some sense?

(Don’t know if it really answers your question, though.)
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

I don't regret getting the second piercing, but that's where it stops with me. As far as tattoos that's a personal preference, but something one has to live with for the rest of their lives especially when saggy skin takes place when you get older and that beautiful women that is on the male body, or even female, now looks like your grandmother. We need to make wise choices and stay away from the impulse.

I was under 16 :biggrin

First one was with a safety pin we cut off. Kept that safety pin in there for about two weeks, spinning it several times a day. Second one was with a needle and then put in an earring. I got the earring in about half way and couldn't get it through the rest of the way so I just made a new hole the rest of the way with the earrring. Thank goodness for rum... don't know how that would have felt without the rum.

Psalm 25:7 NIV
New International Version
Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you are good, O LORD. :clap

I don't regret getting the second piercing,..

for his glory:

(Okay; here is the response I promised)

You know, having the second holes pierced is almost a distinct and memorable rite of passage in itself, I think, like the first pair of holes was. There's a kind of...I supposed one would say...special classiness to going for the second holes, don't you think?

And it's very benign: even grandmothers and pastors' wives do it, now.

(Like you say, no regrets needed.)

As far as tattoos that's a personal preference, but something one has to live with for the rest of their lives especially when saggy skin takes place when you get older and that beautiful women that is on the male body, or even female, now looks like your grandmother. We need to make wise choices and stay away from the impulse.

Well, yes, I do agree that impulsively acquired tattoo isn't a good idea, and sagging can eventually be a problem in some cases, but by no means all. For example, a thoroughly wholesome, low key wrist tattoo of a Bible ref. (John 3.16, etc.) in ornate script, or whatever, need only cover a square inch, and may be the result of careful planning and conviction. (Hope is makes sense? to an extent I agree with you.)

Blessings.

Like I said, it's a personal preference and a choice that needs to be made wisely as there are so many regrets later on in life, especially in some work places that makes you cover them up. I have a friend that has about three or four devils tattooed on him and was done before he came to know the Lord, but now regrets having them even though they symbolized something in his life before he became a Christian.

Like I said, it's a personal preference and a choice that needs to be made wisely as there are so many regrets later on in life, especially in some work places that makes you cover them up. I have a friend that has about three or four devils tattooed on him and was done before he came to know the Lord, but now regrets having them even though they symbolized something in his life before he became a Christian.

for his glory:

Yes, I know that some places do, although around where I live there are women who work in banks, dealing with the public, who don't have to cover their tattoos, as it happens.

Multiple ear piercings, too, are very mainstream now, of course.

Blessings.

Back