Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] How well do you actually know The Theory of Evolution?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
That's a fairly reasonable point there Barbarian. My personal answer is thus; I believe scripture, 100%. I take the bible very literally. Why would I engross myself in spending time learning the details when I know it's not true?

If you don't even know the basics, what makes you think it's not true. Christians who actually understand biology tend to accept evolution. Because it doesn't contradict scripture. Here's a place to learn about it:
https://biologos.org/

A man who lived his life as an atheist, found God and realized that God could not be inconsistent with His creation.

Scripture and evolution does not mesh in the least, and no evolutionist has been able to show me where it does.

Go and see. A man who knows both very well, shows us that there is no conflict between the two. How could there be? He is the Creator.

How about you, Barbarian? You are a Christian, and believe in evolution.

No. I believe in God. I accept or reject science on the evidence. I accept the fact of evolution, because the evidence clearly shows it to be true.

How can they both be true?

No conflict between the two.

I've heard you guys say that scripture supports evolution,

No more than it supports protons and immunoglobulins. It's consistent with those things, too, even if it doesn't support them.

but you've never posted any in support of it. Can you? will you?

It's enough that nothing in scripture rules out evolution. It does rule out YE creationism, but not evolution.

Indeed it is, it has changed quite a bit since Darwin first proposed it. That's because we have new information. :)

I have a question. Where is God in all of this? How does the theory of evolution glorify God's Creation and bring glory to it's Maker?

If you don't even know the basics, what makes you think it's not true. Christians who actually understand biology tend to accept evolution. Because it doesn't contradict scripture. Here's a place to learn about it:
https://biologos.org/

A man who lived his life as an atheist, found God and realized that God could not be inconsistent with His creation.

Go and see. A man who knows both very well, shows us that there is no conflict between the two. How could there be? He is the Creator.

No. I believe in God. I accept or reject science on the evidence. I accept the fact of evolution, because the evidence clearly shows it to be true.

No conflict between the two.

No more than it supports protons and immunoglobulins. It's consistent with those things, too, even if it doesn't support them.

It's enough that nothing in scripture rules out evolution. It does rule out YE creationism, but not evolution.

Ok, I'll check that site out.

What about...God formed man from the dust of the ground. DO you believe that or not? Doulos said that life evolved from the sea. That conflicts with scripture. What's your take on that?

If you take the creation account to be figurative and not literal...then what is the intended message we are to take from Genesis if not the history of creation and the fall? And if the creation account was figurative...was the account of the fall also?

I have a question. Where is God in all of this?

He is the Creator. Not some little middle eastern nature deity, making a tree here and a rabbit there. He created the universe, and it brought forth life as He intended. This is His word in Genesis.

How does the theory of evolution glorify God's Creation and bring glory to it's Maker?

Because He is the one God, He could make it so that life was brought forth by His creation according to His will. He's a lot more powerful and capable than YE creationism would have Him.

I've spent a lifetime learning about His creation, and I've yet to find something that doesn't glorify Him. I feel sorry for those who don't understand it very well. As St. Paul said:

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him, from the creation of the world, are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made; his eternal power also, and divinity: so that they are inexcusable.

What about...God formed man from the dust of the ground. DO you believe that or not? Doulos said that life evolved from the sea. That conflicts with scripture. What's your take on that?

The earth brought forth life, but God says that the air, waters, and earth all did so. Which accords with what we know of the origin of life from the evidence.

If you take the creation account to be figurative and not literal...then what is the intended message we are to take from Genesis if not the history of creation and the fall?

Figurative language can be used to describe something that is true. God was merely speaking to people in a way they could understand. There was no history or science as we understand those things, but the people of that time were well acquainted with figurative speech to describe religious ideas.

And if the creation account was figurative...was the account of the fall also?

We don't know precisely what the fall was, but it is clear that there were two people to whom God gave immortal souls and founded the human race. We don't even know for sure which species of human they were, but given what we know of Neandertals, Adam and Eve preceded both Neandertals and modern humans.

Science is not based on facts.?

Of course. But new information will change a theory, if it indicates a need to do so. Might even completely remove it, if the theory cannot accomodate the new information.

Still waiting for a creationist to step up and explain what the theory of evolution actually says. People are down on things they aren't up on.

That Barb is double talk.. Ya might as well be an end times preacher... They tend to double talk also...

I will quit pestering .... :wave2

You're a conservative Christian, and I know nothing about your friends credentials and their claim to be "biologists," so I don't think it's unlikely that you know people who have studied biology and yet are evolutionists based on that information.
Its true, I do know individuals who have studied biology who are evolutionists. However, the two individuals that I do who know hold doctorate degrees in biology are creationists. Also, not sure whether you hold medical doctors in the same esteem or not but our last family doctor was a creationist as well. Anyways, I just want you to be aware that unlike what you have suggested those in the biology field are not all misguided.

He is the Creator. Not some little middle eastern nature deity, making a tree here and a rabbit there. He created the universe, and it brought forth life as He intended. This is His word in Genesis.

Would you mind showing me where these intentions are stated in Genesis?

You're a conservative Christian, and I know nothing about your friends credentials and their claim to be "biologists," so I don't think it's unlikely that you know people who have studied biology and yet are evolutionists based on that information.
What makes me conservative Christian?

Figurative language can be used to describe something that is true. God was merely speaking to people in a way they could understand. There was no history or science as we understand those things, but the people of that time were well acquainted with figurative speech to describe religious ideas.

And you know this because.....?

Its true, I do know individuals who have studied biology who are evolutionists. However, the two individuals that I do who know hold doctorate degrees in biology are creationists. Also, not sure whether you hold medical doctors in the same esteem or not but our last family doctor was a creationist as well. Anyways, I just want you to be aware that unlike what you have suggested those in the biology field are not all misguided.
A non-biologist talking about how the majority of biologists are misguided. It always astounds me how Creationists can make such claims.

True that, but we do have to be willing to receive the truth even if we don't like it.
Indeed. I'm in no way afraid of the truth.

yunis_prakash_image_0.png

Side by side comparisons of chromosomes for Humans, Chimpanzees, Gorillas and Orangutans. (From left to right in each sample)

anthropoid_hands.jpg

We are bipedal primates.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back