Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

How Would You Spend it

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I know this isn't the purpose of this thread, but I want to add this... I have 0% chance of winning the lotto, because I never play it. I don't see an inherent problem with the Christian who plops a few bucks down on it, just like a little friendly poker with the guys. I can honestly say I wouldn't want to win it.

Even before my BiL won it and it wrecked his life, I saw the danger it would bring upon my spiritual wellbeing. I can be honest with myself and say it would likely spin my priorities around. I'm not sure I would have the ability to resist the excess that would be available to me.

I used to do a lot of work in the city of Detroit. I still shake my head at what I witnessed literally every time I went in a gas station or store. I consistently saw people who seemingly had very little dropping $20, $50 and more on it. It was so sad to see. I live in a very middle class suburb of the city, and it's rare to see this. The escape from poverty that the lotto tempts desperate people to believe in is a lie and a scam. It seems like a scheme perpetrated on the people who most need to stay away from it. The government is making money off of desperate dreams of escape from poverty. And I just don't think they would stay happy after time. It might well be the worst thing that happened to them, going from the lower class to having everything they could want.

I know I wouldn't quit my job!
I would try to invest it in a way that I could donate a portion of the interest to charities etc for the duration of my life. I just think that would be better off for the charities in the long run because it would give them a stable flow of cash month to month where a one time gift would be spent well before I died and I also think in the long run by doing it this way they would reap more cash assistance than the one time hit.

I know I wouldn't quit my job!
I would try to invest it in a way that I could donate a portion of the interest to charities etc for the duration of my life. I just think that would be better off for the charities in the long run because it would give them a stable flow of cash month to month where a one time gift would be spent well before I died and I also think in the long run by doing it this way they would reap more cash assistance than the one time hit.

Is that you, Stove? Are you really back, Bolts? Why did you disappear, StoveBolts

I know this isn't the purpose of this thread, but I want to add this... I have 0% chance of winning the lotto, because I never play it. I don't see an inherent problem with the Christian who plops a few bucks down on it, just like a little friendly poker with the guys. I can honestly say I wouldn't want to win it.

Even before my BiL won it and it wrecked his life, I saw the danger it would bring upon my spiritual wellbeing. I can be honest with myself and say it would likely spin my priorities around. I'm not sure I would have the ability to resist the excess that would be available to me.

I used to do a lot of work in the city of Detroit. I still shake my head at what I witnessed literally every time I went in a gas station or store. I consistently saw people who seemingly had very little dropping $20, $50 and more on it. It was so sad to see. I live in a very middle class suburb of the city, and it's rare to see this. The escape from poverty that the lotto tempts desperate people to believe in is a lie and a scam. It seems like a scheme perpetrated on the people who most need to stay away from it. The government is making money off of desperate dreams of escape from poverty. And I just don't think they would stay happy after time. It might well be the worst thing that happened to them, going from the lower class to having everything they could want.

What you have said is very true. Here in our country people have lottomania, they spend money almost everyday hoping to win. The things is people who win still try their hand at it again. The desire for more is still there. I heard, not sure if it is true that a man borrowed money from a bank to purchase tickets when the winnings was at the highest. Never won and still had to pay the bank

I met a man from my church and he said he left here and spent forty years in the USA and gambled everything he had.

I know I wont be able to win it since I dont play the lotto but if I had to receive this amount I would give to charity, my church and buy some property.

The thing about having this kind of money is that people's idea about material things change once they have lots of it. They buy more expensive clothes, cars etc. For some people it could be a disaster.

$1,000,000 at 5% interest which is not too unsafe an investment in some bonds will give a return of $50,000 per year, or $4166 per month. That is an adequate, though not extravagant retirement.

The other option is to party, party, party. :silly :poke

ha ha, ok I'll let the boss know! How about I go outside and split some wood now? :biglol

Alright. You are permitted to sneak outside.....only don't look for trouble. Okay? :biggrinAnd make sure not to buy another car....there are lots of tempting cars on the road. :) :chin

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back