Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

How's your weather today, where you live?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
this:

Sounds good for you guys in Kansas. (I guess the weather in Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri, is much the same... :) )
And in Overland Park, where I live. You're right. :thumbsup

(When you say you're from Overland Park, no one knows where that is. If you say you're from Kansas City, you get an "Oh, OK.")

Yep. Harry told the press corps and the Secret Service, when they went to the "western White House" in Independence, Mo., "If you don't like the weather in Kansas City, give it five minutes. It'll change."

... and according to David McCullough's excellent biography of Harry S., a secret service man showed at his door in Independence, Mo. and said he was his new protection detail, and Harry S. replied, Well, I don't have any more use for you, so Git!

... and according to David McCullough's excellent biography of Harry S., a secret service man showed at his door in Independence, Mo. and said he was his new protection detail, and Harry S. replied, Well, I don't have any more use for you, so Git!
That was Harry. He wouldn't let the SS detail anywhere near him and Bess after he retired. They had to rent a house across the street. LOL

I think the Ike White House even had to exercise some 'persuasion'...
His only persuasion was to rent the house across from Harry and Bess's. Harry wouldn't let them across the front threshold of his house. Harry was one of a kind. There will never be another, and we are proud in Missouri to call him our own.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> “Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizen and creates a country where everyone lives in fear.” – Harry Truman

After President Truman retired from office in 1952, he was left with an income consisting of a US Army pension of 112.50 per month. Congress, noting that he was paying for his stamps and personally licking them, granted him an allowance for office and library expenses, and a pension of $25,000 per year, under the Former President’s Act of 1958. When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he declined, stating, “You don’t want me. You want the office of the president, and that doesn’t belong to me. It belongs to the American people and it’s not for sale.”

Later, on May 6, 1971, Congress was preparing to award him the Medal of Honor on his 87<sup>th</sup> birthday, for his bravery and decisiveness in the waning days of World War II, a conflict FDR had run without much input or intelligence briefing for his vice-president. Harry refused to accept the medal. He wrote to Missouri Congressman William J. Randall, who read it on the floor of the House. In part, it said, “I do not consider that I have done anything which should be the reason for any award, Congressional or otherwise.”

Years later, after his death, long lost records indicated that Harry and his artillery unit had endured heavy fire during WWI, and despite taking numerous direct hits, Truman remained in command, urging his men to keep returning fire. Many of his men stated in military records that they couldn’t have carried on without Truman’s refusal to take cover while ignoring wounds to his shoulder and abdomen while helping the unit medic treat other wounded. He may very well have deserved that Congressional Medal of Honor, but was too modest to accept it.

Harry summed up his own life in speaking with Merle Miller, the author of the Truman biography Plain Speaking: “My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse, or a politician. And to tell the truth, there’s hardly a difference.”

Last edited by a moderator:
this:

Yes, I loved reading that book by McCullugh on Harry S Truman: a truly magisterial work, full of memorable anecdotes.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back