Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

I Need Mousetrap Ideas!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I have had one lone mouse move in! He is very smart! I bought regular mousetraps, old styly and put several atround his haunts, and he wouldn't touch any of them! Peanut butter or cheese.

I like DIY things so I went online and googled, and I built an electric mousetrap and it was nice and I expected it to work. I put oatmeal inside of it and a little bit of peanut butter on the outside and left it for a couple weeks. (I read that mice like oatmeal and other dry grains but had never tried it before? Do it work?)
3 weeks set up and hot and he would not touch it. Too smart I think. I see him sometimes and he appears full grown.

So off to youtube and found these 5 gallon bucket traps that the guys were making and he said he caught 10 mice in it, so I thought it looked good and built one. the first one had a platform which would dump the mouse into the bucket of water, he wouldn't go for that, so I reworked it to have a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe which spanned the inner diameter of the bucket and spread peanut butter on the middle of it. So when the mouse walks out onto the pvc pipe, it spins and dumps him into the bucket. I tried that for about 10 days, and even had a nice little wood rampthat he could walk up it to the bucket. A little PB on the bottom & middle of the ramp to get him started, and he ate that but didn't go up and fall in. This little mouse is smart!

I have to get him. I moved into a house whoich already had a lot of mice one time in Colorado, and thought, so what? So there is a few mice and didn't worry about it. A few months later that house was infested! I could hear them in the drop ceiling above the family room and it was bad. (My dog Riggs actually caught 5 of them!) but it wasn't enough, so I had to break down and buy D_Con poison and after a long stern discussion with Riggs to not eat it or any mice, I swear he understood and when he would catch one after that, he would bring it to me and be gently and not bite them. It worked, but I do not want to use poison this time.

How do I outsmart a smart mouse? I am out of ideas.

Hehehe that story made me laugh. You have tried so hard time and time again.
U have studied, investigated, searched and used so many different traps methods and devices. I was reminded of coyote in the road runner, always buying technical gadgets to catch him...

Have u tried Acme?
Actually given coyotes track record with Acme it's probably a bad idea

My cat won't even eat all brands of cat food !
I'd like to do an experiment and see how many days without food it would take till he ate ANYTHING I gave him.

But I like him too much....

What entitled pets we have, the audacity of them...LoL

Im a bird man, I love birds
Two budgies that i have one day just went on a hunger strike because i had bought another box of bird seed
It was the same brand they were eating before but for some reason they rejected this new batch

I bought another box but they wouldn't eat it. I went for a different brand of seeds but they still wouldn't touch it. They would only eat the treats which was in the cage

I could see Greeny looking over, bobbing its head, he was keen for seed
But Bluey is the boss and he was running this demonstration

Greeny would approach the seed, Bluey would say something and Greeny would back away. Bluey had coerced Greeny into this hunger strike protest

So i devised a plan. I basically starved them. I gave them no food option at all.
I would leave their food outside the cage in sight for them to see it.

I could see them become more antsy every time i looked over.
Finally after a 3 day hunger strike i offered them food and they feasted like never b4.

Don't let ur pets own u. U own them.
I would learn how long cats can go without food and do what I did.
U will feel sorry for them, I did. But think of it as disciplining them like a child.

If we don't discipline kids they become entitled. Same applies to pets

What do you think cats ate before the convenience of bagged cat foods? Mice, birds, lizards, snakes, etc. This is what God made cats to eat. He did not make them to eat dry foods or processed pet food.

Anyway, I am wishing I had a cat right now. We have had some mice running around, and I am sure there is a smart one avoiding the traps. Maybe I should try different bait. Wonder if cheese is more their style.

Cats can get health problems if they digest mice. Specifically works that I know of.

Two budgies that i have one day just went on a hunger strike because i had bought another box of bird seed
It was the same brand they were eating before but for some reason they rejected this new batch

I bought another box but they wouldn't eat it. I went for a different brand of seeds but they still wouldn't touch it. They would only eat the treats which was in the cage

Greeny would approach the seed, Bluey would say something and Greeny would back away. Bluey had coerced Greeny into this hunger strike protest

So i devised a plan. I basically starved them. I gave them no food option at all.

Finally after a 3 day hunger strike i offered them food and they feasted like never b4.

U will feel sorry for them, I did. But think of it as disciplining them like a child.

True, but you wouldn't want any ASPCA officers on your tail either.

Anyways, getting back on topic I do believe that either Mickey or Minnie found himself or herself in the drawer underneath our oven last night and the cat was all over it lol

LOL
Audacity? Are you kidding?
My cat thinks he's the King around here.
But he's really nice and loves me and I don't think I could do that to him...although it would be an interesting experiment.

I also had parakeets....
They ate anything I put in the cage. They loved those long things with sweet seeds attached to them. They'd start pecking at those and just continue till every seed was finished. I'd give them maybe 2 per week plus the regular seeds also.

Birds know you're the boss.
Cats think THEY'RE the boss.
Never had a dog....don't know what they're like.

My parakeets were yellow, green, blue.
I had a white one once....
No more birds. They need a lot of care.

LOL
But he's really nice and loves me and I don't think I could do that to him...although it would be an interesting experiment.

I also had parakeets....
They ate anything I put in the cage. They loved those long things with sweet seeds attached to them. They'd start pecking at those and just continue till every seed was finished. I'd give them maybe 2 per week plus the regular seeds also.

Correction. As somebody who has owned both dogs and cats before,.. cats actually are the boss. Haven't you ever heard of the saying dogs have owners and cats have staff?

There's no cat going to be coming in my house!

But there's an update for you. I have not caught the mouse yet! I figgured ot that he likes to hang out under the frige when I come strolling in. So, I put 3 mousetraps down beside the frige to catch him...and he pooped on the trap without setting it off! So I freshened up his glycol cocktail and leave the light on now...haven't seen him since.

True, but you wouldn't want any ASPCA officers on your tail either

Ye true you have to do that in a controlled and knowledgeable manner.

Birds cannot go very long without food. They eat small amounts often as to keep their weight down for easier flying.

Mine spent a night without seeds but still had their treat they were eating. Then they spent a night without any food at all. Two or three nights with no food at all is pushing it with small birds.

I look at it as discipline. Its how we train animals and raise children. Sometimes it may seem cruel but as long as their is an objective and you use tried and tested methods it's ok. I would never have been able to potty train a bird without discipline.

LOL

I also had parakeets....

Ah uv had budgies as well so u know what their like as pets
No one calls them parakeets here but that is the correct term for them

Your cat needs some tough love. A 24 hour food fast will teach him i reckon.
Leave water out for him and ul see results.

Do birds need a lot of care??? Hmm i would say no if they are cage birds that don't seek your attention. Food is cheap and you clean their cage once every week or 2.
If they are house birds then yes they need a lot of attention I would say

No more birds for u, but i sense a soft spot u still have for those little characters

Cats can get health problems if they digest mice. Specifically works that I know of.

True, but you wouldn't want any ASPCA officers on your tail either.

The only issues I can see with cats digesting mice is parasites, which is more preventable with an annual food grade diatamaceous earth mixed in with dry food regimen. I would think mouse that had ingested poison would be lethal, too. I would freak out about my cat eating bugs growing up because of the neighbors and their heavy pesticide use. She got pretty sick a few times from bugs. Sadly, a man made issue.

Ah uv had budgies as well so u know what their like as pets
No one calls them parakeets here but that is the correct term for them

Your cat needs some tough love. A 24 hour food fast will teach him i reckon.
Leave water out for him and ul see results.

Do birds need a lot of care??? Hmm i would say no if they are cage birds that don't seek your attention. Food is cheap and you clean their cage once every week or 2.
If they are house birds then yes they need a lot of attention I would say

No more birds for u, but i sense a soft spot u still have for those little characters
Yes,,,I did like them. They were cage birds.
It was nice to see how they interacted with each other...just like you explained. Sometimes they'd cuddle and sometimes they'd yell at each other.

I also liked to hear their chirping. It kept me company.
I kept them nice and clean by giving them a shower about twice a week...cleaned their cage out every 2 or 3 days.

Let's put it this way: They need more care than a cat. Cats take care of themselves and just need food and water. I always sent my cats out...it seems only right to me.

Ye true you have to do that in a controlled and knowledgeable manner.

Birds cannot go very long without food. They eat small amounts often as to keep their weight down for easier flying.

Mine spent a night without seeds but still had their treat they were eating. Then they spent a night without any food at all. Two or three nights with no food at all is pushing it with small birds.

I look at it as discipline. Its how we train animals and raise children. Sometimes it may seem cruel but as long as their is an objective and you use tried and tested methods it's ok. I would never have been able to potty train a bird without discipline.
You potty trained a bird !
:thud

Yes,,,I did like them. They were cage birds.
It was nice to see how they interacted with each other...just like you explained. Sometimes they'd cuddle and sometimes they'd yell at each other.

I also liked to hear their chirping. It kept me company.
I kept them nice and clean by giving them a shower about twice a week...cleaned their cage out every 2 or 3 days.

Let's put it this way: They need more care than a cat. Cats take care of themselves and just need food and water. I always sent my cats out...it seems only right to me.

I love birds so i don't mind spending time on them?
My budgies bathe themselves. I line the bottom of the cage with newspaper so cleaning is just a matter of replacing it, i do that once a week... Easy?

And yes I tamed and potty trained my cockatiel. They have awesome characters just go to youtube and you'll see them just being adorable.?

The only issues I can see with cats digesting mice is parasites, which is more preventable with an annual food grade diatamaceous earth mixed in with dry food regimen. I would think mouse that had ingested poison would be lethal, too. I would freak out about my cat eating bugs growing up because of the neighbors and their heavy pesticide use. She got pretty sick a few times from bugs. Sadly, a man made issue.

Lol I meant worms not works but I take it that you already figured that out. Anyways we definitely have multiple mice around here. We caught a mouse in one trap last night and another one has gone missing and we seem to have mice in the attic as well.

I'm afraid that the poor mouse that got trapped in the trap went missing possibly suffered because I thought I heard him or her dragging it a crossed the floor the other night. However I didn't know what to do to help the poor thing so I didn't investigate. Even though mice are pests I still don't want them to suffer. :crying

I am still trying to catch a smart, pesky mouse. 6 set traps, two different types, three different baits and nothing. Saw it run across the room last night. Maybe I will get him tonight.

I love mice, just not running wild in my home.

Exactly. The line was already drawn when ours started stealing food. Not to mention the fact that it's completely unsanitary. Especially since if there is more than one, then they have to be leaving their droppings somewhere.

just a side, personal story...not to interrupt too much...

a couple of days ago, there was a dead mouse in my bathtub. mouse...err...'stuff' around the drain...maybe he crawled in thru the faucet, for the bath? i always take showers. i dunno. i was...thoroughly freaked out, lol. but i got over it, cleaned it up, sanitized, etc.

i just...still...don't.get.it, that's all.

i now have this sticky thing, i got from walmart...maybe it would help Edward ? its super stick adhesive on a plastic base...I guess it -seems- less cruel than the old school traps...there's something to be said for that. :)

Exactly. The line was already drawn when ours started stealing food. Not to mention the fact that it's completely unsanitary. Especially since if there is more than one, then they have to be leaving their droppings somewhere.

Yes! It gets yucky and smelly. We started getting small plastic storage boxes for food. Any food in the cabinets is sealed away. We haven't lost any food since.

just a side, personal story...not to interrupt too much...

a couple of days ago, there was a dead mouse in my bathtub. mouse...err...'stuff' around the drain...maybe he crawled in thru the faucet, for the bath? i always take showers. i dunno. i was...thoroughly freaked out, lol. but i got over it, cleaned it up, sanitized, etc.

i just...still...don't.get.it, that's all.

i now have this sticky thing, i got from walmart...maybe it would help Edward ? its super stick adhesive on a plastic base...I guess it -seems- less cruel than the old school traps...there's something to be said for that. :)

Umm yeah, that's really nasty dude. Yuck!

Back