Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Ignoring Romans 2: An Error of Exegisis

Amazed said:
Actually Drew, I think I agree with that particular interpretation of scripture- as in Paul declaring that justification is not based on ethnicity.
I believe that works are meaningless unless they derive from pure motives. I don't know what denomination of faith your are, but my guard against justifcation by works is mainly targeted to certain "religous" groups who put more emphasis on good deeds than on faith. I hope you are not offended by my perspective.
No, I am not offended at all. I think Romans is a brilliant letter, filled with subtlety and richness - it is my favourite book of the Bible now, even though I used to find it to be very confusing.

mondar said:
However, let me again stress that the issue is what the Chapter is about. I do not take the view that the Chapter is about a means of justification (whether Jew or Gentile). I take the Chapter as a statement that God's judgement is impartial, and therefore the Jewish person who practices what he condemns the Gentiles for will be judged.
But, and I really must confess mystification here, there are repeated explicit statements about justification )(and the related concept of salvation) here:

God "will give to each person according to what he has done." 7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous

How are these not both clear statements of the awarding of salvation and of justification?

I agree that Paul is concerned about impartiality, but these statements read as they read.

Hi Drew. I have done a slightly more detailed study on Romans chapter 2, and I think Paul is speaking mainly to Jews who prides themselves on having God's law. It seems that these Jews believed that because of God's promises to them, that they could do whatever they wanted. They condemned Gentiles for certain sins, and yet they themselves did the very same things. These Jews justified themselves, however, becasue they were God's "chosen people."
Yet Paul warns them that their "religous" or ethnic background cannot save them from sin. In another sense, Paul is saying that the good deeds God desires are deeds of the heart and not the flesh.

Amazed said:
Hi Drew. I have done a slightly more detailed study on Romans chapter 2, and I think Paul is speaking mainly to Jews who prides themselves on having God's law.
I entirely agree.

Amazed said:
These Jews justified themselves, however, becasue they were God's "chosen people."
Yet Paul warns them that their "religous" or ethnic background cannot save them from sin.
I agree again. However none of this is reason to not take Paul seriously when he speaks of a future judgement where eternal life is awarded based on good deeds.

God "will give to each person according to what he has done." 7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

Drew, i agree with u to an extent. we all need to let our lights shine. 2 co. 5 tells us that we must all stand b4 the judgement seat of christ and recieve our dues for what we have done in the body. in the particular verses in romans i believe Paul is putting a greater emphasis on repenting and turning from sin. and as for seeking immortality- we are all immortal. thats y the wicked will burn forever

Back