Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Ignoring Romans 2: An Error of Exegisis

glorydaz said:
Yep, all new translations. And what's supposed to be happening in these end days? An apostate church ...a great falling away. It's no wonder when the Bible has been altered in all kinds of important things such as this and the "faith of Christ". I'm not surprised in the least there is so much error being preached.

There you go again with the "fast and loose" teachings. Where does the Bible speak about an APOSTATE CHURCH??? It speaks about apostate INDIVIDUALS, but nowhere is there Scripture verses about the entire Church. That would nullify the promises of Christ.

GD, with all these Scripture gaffes over the last few weeks, maybe it might be a good idea to go back and read the NT again... Much of your schemes are based on inventions or one verse changed around and misinterpreted. The point is to read the Scriptures AND THEN consider a theology that explains it, not the other way around...

francisdesales said:
glorydaz said:
Yep, all new translations. And what's supposed to be happening in these end days? An apostate church ...a great falling away. It's no wonder when the Bible has been altered in all kinds of important things such as this and the "faith of Christ". I'm not surprised in the least there is so much error being preached.

There you go again with the "fast and loose" teachings. Where does the Bible speak about an APOSTATE CHURCH??? It speaks about apostate INDIVIDUALS, but nowhere is there Scripture verses about the entire Church. That would nullify the promises of Christ.

GD, with all these Scripture gaffes over the last few weeks, maybe it might be a good idea to go back and read the NT again... Much of your schemes are based on inventions or one verse changed around and misinterpreted. The point is to read the Scriptures AND THEN consider a theology that explains it, not the other way around...
I know it's hard for you to understand, but the church is the body of Christ. We have a whole lot of "professing" Christians filling the church pews. Individuals, for your information, make up the church. Now, tell me again how bad I am and how wonderful you are and then we should be right up to speed. I count it all joy. :amen

glorydaz said:
francisdesales said:

I know it's hard for you to understand, but the church is the body of Christ. We have a whole lot of "professing" Christians filling the church pews. Individuals, for your information, make up the church. Now, tell me again how bad I am and how wonderful you are and then we should be right up to speed. I count it all joy. :amen

Individuals are not the Church, they are PART of it...

The Bible never tells us about an apostate CHURCH. INDIVIDUALS are not the Church.

Christ said the Gates of hell would not prevail against the Church. How could the Church as an organization fail, if Christ said He would ensure it would NOT fall??? Unless you believe Christ doesn't have the power to protect the Church, built upon rock for a reason...

As usual, you ignore Scriptures ...

francisdesales said:
glorydaz said:

The Bible never tells us about an apostate CHURCH. INDIVIDUALS are not the Church.

Christ said the Gates of hell would not prevail against the Church. How could the Church as an organization fail, if Christ said He would ensure it would NOT fall??? Unless you believe Christ doesn't have the power to protect the Church, built upon rock for a reason...

I believe the Word speaks for itself. You're free to read it however you like.
Rev. 3:14-18 said:
And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

glorydaz said:
francisdesales said:

I believe the Word speaks for itself. You're free to read it however you like.
Rev. 3:14-18 said:
And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Yes, the Word does, and you still aren't getting it....

The Church at Laodicea is a COMMUNITY of people... Not an individual person named Fred Doe.

Drew said:
With this admittedly provocative title, I want to expose the “dirty little secret†of so many evangelicals – the fact that they either ignore the Romans 2 teaching about a future justification by good works or, more commonly perhaps, they develop entirely implausible schemes about how, in in Romans 2, Paul is speaking about what is only a hypothetical possibility.

On the face of it, we have a clear and unambiguous assertion by Paul - the granting of eternal is based on good works:

God "will give to each person according to what he has done." 7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

Its funny. If you show this text to any 7th grader, they will clearly get Paul’s meaning – eternal life is given based on how you have lived, not what you believe. And yet so many evangelicals will deny ultimate justification by good works. What is their argument?

Consider what Paul said about the gospel - 'it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who has faith - as it is written, 'He who through faith is righteous shall live.' That's Romans 1:16,17 - the same letter. So isn't Paul saying the same thing in Romans 2:7 - to those who are patient in well doing ie. righteous, he will give eternal life? And wouldn't our 'well doing' (or good works) be faith based so to speak?

But also consider what Paul is discussing. He is discussing judgment in Romans 2, not justification. He already spoke about justification in Romans 1:16.

Paul is talking about the judgment of God and what happens to those who do not obey the truth. And certainly we should not be judging others. In that respect we would be 'well doing' or doing 'good work' as well. Also keeping our mind on the Lord Jesus and following him we are 'well doing'. Also preaching the gospel, resisting the devil, keeping ourselves from sin, etc., we would be ‘well doing’.

I

Drew said:
With this admittedly provocative title, I want to expose the “dirty little secret†of so many evangelicals – the fact that they either ignore the Romans 2 teaching about a future justification by good works or, more commonly perhaps, they develop entirely implausible schemes about how, in in Romans 2, Paul is speaking about what is only a hypothetical possibility.

On the face of it, we have a clear and unambiguous assertion by Paul - the granting of eternal is based on good works:

God "will give to each person according to what he has done." 7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

Its funny. If you show this text to any 7th grader, they will clearly get Paul’s meaning – eternal life is given based on how you have lived, not what you believe. And yet so many evangelicals will deny ultimate justification by good works. What is their argument?

In the main it appears to be this: Paul cannot really mean what he has written here since, in Romans 3, he writes at length about the sinfulness of mankind - if man is so sinful, it is simply not possible for him to be saved by doing good works.

This is not a good argument. First, the fact that all have sinned does not, of course, mean that all must necessarily continue to sin. In fact, later in Romans (chapter 8), Paul makes it abundantly clear that the person with the Spirit can indeed win the victory over sin. So I am not sure how the “men cannot be saved by good works because we are hopeless sinners†argument really survives. It is clear that Paul understands that people can indeed escape the trap of Romans 3. So how does Romans 3 then trump Romans 2?

And there is another problem – people who do not believe that Paul means what he writes in Romans 2:6-7 (above) have no explanation as to this deep mystery: what was Paul thinking when he wrote Romans 2:6-7 - why would he tell us something that he is later going to undermine? This is a question that needs to be answered. Remember – Paul nowhere in the letter ever gives any kind of “I did not mean what I said in Romans 2:6-7" disclaimer.

Much more can be said, but I will stop here for now.

Wow, great topic, Drew, and quite provocative. :)

I think the error in the "faith alone" crowd's thinking is in their interpretation of the word "works". When Paul sets faith against works in his letters, he is speaking specifically of the "works of the Law", not charitable deeds or obedience to God's will. Charity and obedience, as in Romans 2, do effect our salvation, as long as we remain faithful. "Works of the Law", or obligatory works, do not effect our salvation at all.

But, you guys probably already covered this 20 pages ago. I'm a little late to the dance. My two cents, anyway.

You can only understand this in the light of Christ. Paul is talking about the law and judgment, about those who do not acknowledge God, and God gives them up to a base mind and improper conduct. But we have an advocate in Christ Jesus who said, 'So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven.' In saying this what am I doing? Will I not be justified by him who said, 'for by your words you will be justified'. Mt. 12:37

The question is what does Paul mean by well-doing? We are doing well if we are obedient to the truth, assuming you know what the truth is. Jesus said, 'I am the way and the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me.' John 14:6 So Love God, do unto others, and follow Jesus. Yet following Jesus seems to be the tough part for many. People don't like his teachings. They go after teachers who tell them what they want to hear - they hear what suits them, what makes sense to them. In answer to somone who said to him, "Lord, will those who are saved be few?", he said to them, "Strive to enter by the narrow door; for many, I tell you will seek to enter and will not be able." Lu.13:24

Stay away from the scholars. Acknowledge God in all things. God doesn't need your freewill to accomplish his plan.

Yes, how we live our lives does matter when it comes to eternal life, we are not saved by simply just knowing that Christ is Lord & died for us. But at the same-time we are not just saved by the moral things we do. We are saved not because we know Christ is Lord & Died for us, but because we have excepted that Christ is Lord & Died for us, and we have surrender our selves to Jehovah God, and if you truly have expected the sacrifice of Christ, obtained the Holy Spirit, and made yourself a bond-servant of Jehovah, than you will want to produce good moral works, because true faith produces works.

"that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved" (Romans 10:9)
"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;not as a result of works, so that no one may boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9)
"Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself" (James 2:17)

Kevin Lowery said:
Yes, how we live our lives does matter when it comes to eternal life, we are not saved by simply just knowing that Christ is Lord & died for us. But at the same-time we are not just saved by the moral things we do. We are saved not because we know Christ is Lord & Died for us, but because we have excepted that Christ is Lord & Died for us, and we have surrender our selves to Jehovah God, and if you truly have expected the sacrifice of Christ, obtained the Holy Spirit, and made yourself a bond-servant of Jehovah, than you will want to produce good moral works, because true faith produces works.

"that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved" (Romans 10:9)
"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;not as a result of works, so that no one may boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9)
:clap he gets this, something you all have warring for months over.

MarkT said:
But also consider what Paul is discussing. He is discussing judgment in Romans 2, not justification. He already spoke about justification in Romans 1:16.
I do not believe this distinction really works. It is clear that "justification" is very much on Paul's mind in Romans 2 as well. Here is Romans 2:13

for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified.

MarkT said:
Paul is talking about the judgment of God and what happens to those who do not obey the truth.
This is only part of the story. I am not sure how people come to believe that Romans 2 is only about non-believers, since it is really quite clear that Paul is talking about a judgement to which all humanity is subjected, with some getting eternal life, and others receiving condemnation:

who WILL RENDER TO EACH PERSON ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS: 7to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; 8but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. 9There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Do you not see how there is clear promise of a judgement unto eternal life here?

So, this has been going on since '05, and there is no way I am gonna read ALL those posts, but the way I always saw Romans 2 was that once a man has received the Holy Spirit he will do good deeds because the Holy Spirit changes us. The Evanglists don't need to preach about good deeds because so long as they help people find the Holy Spirit, He will take care of getting the good deeds done!

dadof10 said:
I think the error in the "faith alone" crowd's thinking is in their interpretation of the word "works". When Paul sets faith against works in his letters, he is speaking specifically of the "works of the Law", not charitable deeds or obedience to God's will.
You are quite right. The classic example is Ephesians 2, where context clearly shows that the "works" that do not save are the works of the Law of Moses, not "good deeds" in the more general sense. For some reason that is deeply mysterious to me, people do not see how clear the context is here - the "works" here have to be the works of the Jewish Law.

And, equally mysteriously to me, people seem to think that Paul was basically saying something he knows to be false when, in Romans 2, he writes of people receiving eternal life based on good works.

I have never received a satisfactory explanation as to why Paul would write of the granting of eternal life based on good works, all the while believing that precisely zero persons will actually get life this way.

No reasonable person states something that is true of zero persons unless, of course, the writer clearly qualifies his statement appropriately (as being a hypothetical).

MarkT wrote:

I do not believe this distinction really works. It is clear that "justification" is very much on Paul's mind in Romans 2 as well. Here is Romans 2:13

for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified.

Paul is leading up to what he is trying to say. If you look at Romans 3:19-25, he writes this about the law, - 'Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law (which means the whole world), so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. For no human being will be justified in his sight by the works of the law, since through the law comes knowledge of sin. But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the law and the prophets bear witness to it, the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, they are justified by his grace as a gift ... to be received by faith.'

So Romans 2:9-16 is about the law and judgment and how doers of the law will be justified when they do what the law requires. It's simply a statement of fact. But remember he is speaking to believers. We are not under the law but under grace. Romans 6:14

So he says, 'All who have sinned without the law (are we without the law? No. We uphold the law) will also perish without the law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law.' And he says the doers of the law will be justified. I believe this is because they have done good.

I believe there are many who have done good and shown us kindness and I believe God will reward them. I know some who deny Christ who love the church. Go figure. I know their heart, and they serve God’s purpose though they do not know it. Perhaps it is because they secretly believe, though they can not admit it. You might say they have the law written on their hearts as Paul does.

It’s important to understand God weighs the spirit. As Paul said, ‘God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus’ Romans 2:16

So as they do it to us, they do it to Christ.

But many will say they did mighty works in the name of Jesus and Jesus will say, I never knew you.

So in principle it is the doers of the law who will be justified. In principle it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who are justified. And Paul says this to the Jew and the Gentile, but he is speaking to the Jew, the people who were entrusted with the law, when he says, `But if you call yourself a Jew and rely upon the law and boast of your relationship to God`. But we are all under the power of sin. And the law brings us knowledge of sin so that we know when we have sinned. And it even increases our trespass when we break the law.

jasoncran said:
Kevin Lowery said:

:clap he gets this, something you all have warring for months over.
:yes :lol :) :nod :shades

jasoncran wrote:
Kevin Lowery wrote:Yes, how we live our lives does matter when it comes to eternal life, we are not saved by simply just knowing that Christ is Lord & died for us. But at the same-time we are not just saved by the moral things we do. We are saved not because we know Christ is Lord & Died for us, but because we have excepted that Christ is Lord & Died for us, and we have surrender our selves to Jehovah God, and if you truly have expected the sacrifice of Christ, obtained the Holy Spirit, and made yourself a bond-servant of Jehovah, than you will want to produce good moral works, because true faith produces works.

he gets this, something you all have warring for months over.

What have you heard? When did Jesus say anything about accepting him? Believing isn’t the same as accepting. And what is this surrendering thing you’re talking about? Haven’t you heard the good news of the kingdom? Seek the kingdom. Then you might understand. You didn’t surrender anything. Don’t count yourself as good because you’re not good enough. You were captured; caught like a fish in a fisherman’s net. You were compelled. If it wasn’t for God you wouldn’t be here. It’s only because it is the will of the Father that anyone believes, and when you believe you are doing his will. And as far as how you live your life goes, that’s God’s will.

Drew said:
dadof10 said:
I think the error in the "faith alone" crowd's thinking is in their interpretation of the word "works". When Paul sets faith against works in his letters, he is speaking specifically of the "works of the Law", not charitable deeds or obedience to God's will.

You are quite right. The classic example is Ephesians 2, where context clearly shows that the "works" that do not save are the works of the Law of Moses, not "good deeds" in the more general sense. For some reason that is deeply mysterious to me, people do not see how clear the context is here - the "works" here have to be the works of the Jewish Law.

Yes. There and EVERYWHERE else Paul contrasts faith and works. The works are always in the context of "of the law" and in a more narrow sense, circumcision. Certainly neither one of us would say that we are justified by good deeds APART from faith, but they do effect our salvation. What does not effect our salvation are ANY deeds that make God obligated to man. The Law has always had that aspect to it.

And, equally mysteriously to me, people seem to think that Paul was basically saying something he knows to be false when, in Romans 2, he writes of people receiving eternal life based on good works.

I have never received a satisfactory explanation as to why Paul would write of the granting of eternal life based on good works, all the while believing that precisely zero persons will actually get life this way.

No reasonable person states something that is true of zero persons unless, of course, the writer clearly qualifies his statement appropriately (as being a hypothetical).

I know how you feel. I have been asking people for years for ANY evidence that "works" means everything a person does (including Charity, keeping the Commandments, etc.), EXCEPT "accepting Jesus as personal Lord and savior", which somehow doesn't count as a "work", even though, according to them, it MUST BE DONE to gain eternal life. Quite frustrating to get only platitudes in return.

They start with a preconception, ignoring any evidence to the contrary. The template is "salvation by faith alone" and everything is bent to fit, no matter how warped it winds up being in the end. It is the same with Romans 2. Keep up the good work, Drew. You are making great points.

Pard said:
So, this has been going on since '05, and there is no way I am gonna read ALL those posts

This thread has only been alive since April 12th, Drew has been here since 2005. You are reading his personal info on the right. The thread info is on the middle top of the post. Still doesn't change the fact that there are 31 pages to sort through, though. :o

but the way I always saw Romans 2 was that once a man has received the Holy Spirit he will do good deeds because the Holy Spirit changes us. The Evanglists don't need to preach about good deeds because so long as they help people find the Holy Spirit, He will take care of getting the good deeds done!

What specifically in Romans 2 makes you draw this conclusion?

Kevin Lowery said:

I'm a little confused as to your view. Do you think that "moral things" effect our salvation in some way, or are we justified by faith alone?

Back