Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

[_ Old Earth _] In schools

Should evolution be taught as "fact" in public schools?

• Total voters
Hey Barb,

From what I've heard, Mississippi and South Carolina are about even as the worst. I was also surprised to hear that Florida's system isn't very good at all - however, Tennessee and Georgia's are very good overall. I hope that state legislators will begin to inact early intervention within states in the south as it seems to have very positive effects on education and more importantly, lives.

BL

If you cut the nation up into blocks, with the Southeast, Northeast, etc.
You will find the upper Midwest on top and the Southeast on the bottom.

Keep in mind, I'm talking only about science and math; I don't have a good measure for other subjects.

But Georgia's admitted good work is swamped by other states, some of which you mentioned.

Regrettably, a severe budget crunch has harmed Tennessee's educational effort. They are trying, but the money isn't there.

Agreed on all points...

I'm surprised you are up-to-date on Tennessee's budget - not bad. You probably then also know that the lottery is giving the higher education a boost (not that I'm necessarily advocating lotteries), and that the teachers' salaries just got bumped up across the board by about $3,000.

I don't know much about Gov. Bredesen's social stances, but I appreciate his conservative economic views.

BL

My daughter has an academic/athletic scholarship to a school in the UT system. A lot of her friends are feeling the pinch, and there are serious cuts in funding.

Again, I'm not blaming Tennessee, which seems to be doing the best it can. The economy is stuck on "awful" as far as jobs go.

That's a problem that extends far beyond Tennessee.

Oh agreed... although it was massively inflated in Tennessee because of the former governor. But things are looking to be doing better, so I'm optimistic. It's another example of how I don't care about political parties, I only care about doing what's right - and this democratic governor is doing a lot of right things.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that he's economically conservative!

BL

The problem, of course is our economically-liberal president. I can remember when republicans thought that spending more than you took in was wrong.

But that's when I was a republican.

I don't see how it could be taught as a fact when it is false?

Bad necromancer!

At any rate, you are claiming the falsehood of a theory that 99% of the biological scientific community agrees with.
Post some evidence for something else being the case and you'll have an argument.

I think its just fine that evolution is taught as fact.

I'm Christian, and I accept evolution as fact. Now before some of you get up in arms, I'll explain myself. I accept evolution as fact; however, I do not accept it as truth. I have reservations about evolution and don't necessarily "believe" much of it. I'm basically skeptical of evolution.

I think many Christians should be more aware of what a scientific fact is.

A scientific fact is an observation that has been confirmed repeatedly and is accepted as true (although its truth is never final)

There is no final "truth" in science. And that is the beauty of it. "Scientific fact" can change, it's not absolute, knowledge has the opportunity to progress.

So, my fellow Christians...I think it's fine that evolution is taught in school as a fact as long as the definition for "scientific fact" is taught as well. (Which I'm pretty sure is)

scientific fact DOES NOT EQUAL truth

Science changes.
Truth does not.
:wink:

I don't think telling people oops, there was a "Big Bang" and the earth appeared from molten rock. Or, the earth is about 6 billion years old. There is no scientific face that says the earth is very very old. God created humans, God created plants and animals, and God created the earth in seven days.

No only should we ban evolution in Science, we should outlaw Galileo's "theory" that the earth is a sphere rotating around the sun. The idea of a "flat earth" was good enough in Jesus' time and we should burn all the globes and atlases. The Church rejected a "rotating earth" theory four centuries ago as "theologically incorrect."

What has happened outside our "monoply on the truth" that would make us change our minds?

Long before Jesus, people knew that the Earth was a sphere. Educated people even knew how big it was. Eratosthenes of Alexandria measured it a few hundred years before Jesus.

Lesson time:

The RCC is a denomination within Christianity (Catholic persons will probably deny this, and that's okay).

The Church, when capitalized, signifies the entirety of Christianity consists of all people who have received salvation from Jesus Christ.

The RCC has taken many erroneous positions on different topics, just as other denominations have.

And to Barb:
I know exactly what you're saying about the liberal economics our president is using... yuck. But the sad thing is, liberal economics and conservative social stances is better than Kerry for me who is liberal on both. I just can't vote for someone who supports abortion and who seems to be such an opportunist. I just hope that Iraq turns a corner in the summer and that the deficit can begin to be reduced.

BL

BL[/color]

The RCC is a denomination within Christianity (Catholic persons will probably deny this, and that's okay).

The RCC position is that all Christians are within the Body of Christ. "Catholic" in the strict sense, means "all the Christians." "Roman Catholic" means one church among others.

The Church, when capitalized, signifies the entirety of Christianity consists of all people who have received salvation from Jesus Christ.

That is not RCC practice, but you may be pleased to know that they consider you a Catholic, just not a Roman Catholic.

And to Barb:
I know exactly what you're saying about the liberal economics our president is using... yuck. But the sad thing is, liberal economics and conservative social stances is better than Kerry for me who is liberal on both.

I wish that were true. But Bush is the first GOP president to endorse the Log Cabin Republicans, and to appoint numerous openly gay people to high positions in his administration.

He also has said that the people of each state have a right whether or not to allow abortion.

That's pretty liberal. Kerry is marginally better. But have you thought about voting entirely on principle?

Constitution Party. Michael Peroutka. If enough people vote our consciences, it will be a wake-up for both major parties. Consider it.

That is not RCC practice, but you may be pleased to know that they consider you a Catholic, just not a Roman Catholic.

That could very well be true - I have been told in the past that I am not Christian because I do not accept the Pope as having any spiritual authority over me, but I'm not worried about it. BTW, are you a Roman Catholic, Barb? I don't think I've ever asked what your theological beliefs are.

I wish that were true. But Bush is the first GOP president to endorse the Log Cabin Republicans, and to appoint numerous openly gay people to high positions in his administration.

He also has said that the people of each state have a right whether or not to allow abortion.

I am aware of the liberal decisions the president has made socially and I very much considered using the word "moderate" instead of liberal when describing his overall social position. But I would have to say that Kerry is not "marginally better." Kerry has supported partial birth abortions and that to me is completely over the top.

Constitution Party. Michael Peroutka. If enough people vote our consciences, it will be a wake-up for both major parties. Consider it.

Hey, I'll look into it - I am a person who will vote for whomever I feel is best for the job. The exception being if my own state's polls show it as a neck-and-neck (which won't happen) in which I will vote for the best of the two.

I voted for Joseph Lieberman on the democratic ticket after he had dropped out.

BL

Barbarian observes:

That could very well be true - I have been told in the past that I am not Christian because I do not accept the Pope as having any spiritual authority over me, but I'm not worried about it.

You shouldn't be. Even the RC Church teaches that you don't have to accept the Pope to be a Christian. Churches in error are still Christian churches.

BTW, are you a Roman Catholic, Barb?

Yep.

Barbarian on Bush's liberal attitude toward abortion:

I am aware of the liberal decisions the president has made socially and I very much considered using the word "moderate" instead of liberal when describing his overall social position. But I would have to say that Kerry is not "marginally better." Kerry has supported partial birth abortions and that to me is completely over the top.

I was unaware of that. The only thing I've found on that is that Kerry would permit them only to save the mother's life. As if he had any authority in that; the Constitution would have to be amended to change it.

My take on this one is that we don't need to change laws, we need to change people's hearts. And it's working. Abortions continue to decline.

Barbarian on a candidate committed to Christian values:

Hey, I'll look into it - I am a person who will vote for whomever I feel is best for the job. The exception being if my own state's polls show it as a neck-and-neck (which won't happen) in which I will vote for the best of the two.

I voted for Joseph Lieberman on the democratic ticket after he had dropped out.

It's not just an empty gesture. The politicians pay attention to those numbers. You can tell the GOP that you don't expect to be taken for granted, by voting for Peroutka. If you live in a state where one or the other major candidate has a commanding lead, you give up nothing by voting for a principle.

Churches in error are still Christian churches.

As long as the RCC understands that statement is reciprocal, then I have no problem with the concept. Any church, including the RCC all the way up, is full of infallable human beings.

I was unaware of that. The only thing I've found on that is that Kerry would permit them only to save the mother's life.

It's a very sneaky way of appealing to the majority and maintaining your socially liberal foundation. You see, (as far as I am aware) there could never be a partial birth abortion used to save the mother's life since the very act of partial birth abortion uses the same actions which occur during vaginal birth. If a child being born would harm the mother then partial birth abortion would also - so there's never any time when it would be advantageous for the mother's health.

Kerry also does not support the current government investigation into whether or not partial birth abortions are ever necessary for medical reasons. The government wants to defend the new ban of partial birth abortions using statistics gathered from medical records that the government would keep confidential and would not even ask for names or personal information from the record holders. Kerry is not in favor of that, thus making the government's position very difficult.

My take on this one is that we don't need to change laws, we need to change people's hearts. And it's working. Abortions continue to decline.

Let's change the criteria for what abortion is and what it isn't. Let's say we choose to classify any termination of offspring up until they reach the age of three years old as "abortion." Would you still want to leave the law the same and hope declining post-natal abortions decreased or would you want to change the erroneous law? This is the meat of democracy and our republic.

BL

Barbarian observes that the Roman Catholic Church acknowledges other Christian faiths as our brothers in Christ.

As long as the RCC understands that statement is reciprocal, then I have no problem with the concept.

In fact, the post-Vatican II Church has publicly stated that the Roman Catholic Church is also guilty of errors that produced the schisms in our faith.

Any church, including the RCC all the way up, is full of infallable human beings.

We hold that the Church as a whole, the biships in council, and the pope ex cathedra are infallible regarding questions of faith and morals.

Barbarian on Kerry's position:
I was unaware of that. The only thing I've found on that is that Kerry would permit them only to save the mother's life.

It's a very sneaky way of appealing to the majority and maintaining your socially liberal foundation. You see, (as far as I am aware) there could never be a partial birth abortion used to save the mother's life since the very act of partial birth abortion uses the same actions which occur during vaginal birth. If a child being born would harm the mother then partial birth abortion would also - so there's never any time when it would be advantageous for the mother's health.

Kerry also does not support the current government investigation into whether or not partial birth abortions are ever necessary for medical reasons.

Kerry objects to the idea that the government can go into people's personal medical records for political reasons. The hospitals have offered to "sanitize" the records, so no one will be able to trace them to individual patients without a proper supeona. I can think of a few legitimate reasons why Ashcroft would want to know who those people were. That's one of the reasons he should never be allowed to have the recorces, unless we make sure that he can't.

I certainly do think it's reasonable to consider how many of those cases were medically indicated (I think very few, if any were) but there is no legitimate purpose to knowing the specific individual.

The government wants to defend the new ban of partial birth abortions using statistics gathered from medical records that the government would keep confidential and would not even ask for names or personal information from the record holders. Kerry is not in favor of that, thus making the government's position very difficult.

The last offer the hospitals gave were such that even someone with Ashcroft's resources would be unlikely to find the individuals involved. And that's the sticking point now. I would think a pro-abortion person would be happy to provide stats, if there were few actual cases where such abortions were medically required for the mother's safety.

Barbarian observes:

Let's change the criteria for what abortion is and what it isn't. Let's say we choose to classify any termination of offspring up until they reach the age of three years old as "abortion." Would you still want to leave the law the same and hope declining post-natal abortions decreased or would you want to change the erroneous law? This is the meat of democracy and our republic.

You're asking, in effect, if I'd were living in Alabama in the early 1800s, if I'd be in favor of making Hispanics slaves as well. Well, no, I wouldn't. In fact, I'd be in favor of freeing all the slaves. And I'd use whatever seemed to be the most effective way to do it.

In this case, I think responsible pro-life organizations have made steady and well-documented reductions in the number of abortions in America. Given that the country is slightly pro-abortion at this time, (and that, too is slowing changing) this is a sensible (admittedly tragic) tatic.

Given that there is a majority in favor of banning partial-birth abortions, if mother's life is considered, I would save the majority of those lives, even if I didn't succeed in saving them all.

You would think that those concerned about women's health would be in favor of revealing as much statistical information as possible, but it seems that this is not the case. Planned Parenthood has been fighting every step of the way to stop the medical records from being made into statistics regarding the number of partial birth operations done for the purpose of the mother's health. And as far as I am aware, Ashcroft has never asked for any identifying information... just the statistics.

BL

Back