Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

INDIVIDUALS VS THE MAJORITY

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
  • In Chapter 23, David keeps hiding in the wilderness!
  • Saul keeps searching for him!
  • But Yah.weh doesn’t give him into his hands!
  • Jonathan goes to meet David at Horesh and encourages him!
  • He tells him he will be king of Israel!
  • Then they make a covenant before Yah.weh!
  • Some men come to Saul and tell him where David is!
  • And he asks them to find out exactly where he is!
  • Then he will go with them!
  • Then Saul chases after David!
  • He gets pretty close to David!
  • Then a messenger comes to Saul to tell him that the philistines have made a raid on the land!

EXODUS 3:15

YAH.WEH THE GOD OF YOUR FATHERS – THE GOD OF ABRAHAM, THE GOD OF ISAAC, AND THE GOD OF JACOB – HAS SENT ME TO YOU.
THIS IS MY NAME FOREVER, AND THIS IS HOW I AM TO BE REMEMBERED IN EVERY GENERATION IN EVERY GENERATION.

Remember:

• If you think like today’s people, you will never understand the Bible!
  • They used to write differently!
  • They used to speak differently!
  • They used to think differently!
  • They used to act differently!

Remember:

Biblical Hebrew has a very small number of words, about 8,000, and around 1,700 of those words are hapax legomena (being said once) in the Hebrew Bible. Modern Hebrew has about 100,000 words. For comparison modern English has over 450,000 words, and Spanish has just over 175,000 words. Standard English dictionaries typically have about 200,000 words, whereas Spanish dictionaries have about 80,000 words.

This means words often have multiple meanings determined by context.

Although yom is commonly rendered as day in English translations, the word yom can be used in different ways to refer to different time spans:

• Point of time (a specific day)
  • time period of a whole or half a day:
    • Period of light (as contrasted with the period of darkness),
    • Sunrise to sunset
    • Sunset to next sunset
  • General term for time ( as in 'days of our lives')
  • A year "lived a lot of days"
  • Time period of unspecified length. "days and days"

The Greek language is ranked as the richest in the world with 5 million words and 70 million word types. According to Dr. MacDonald, only 600,000 Greek words are used today, making the Greek vocabulary the largest in the world and 3.5 times bigger than the English vocabulary.

Though there are 138,607 words in the Greek New Testament, only 5,394 are unique.

• In Chapter 24, David keeps hiding in the wilderness!
  • When Saul returns from pursuing the Philistines, he starts again searching after David!
  • He takes 3,000 men with him!
  • David and his men are hiding in the cave!
  • Saul is near the cave and he wants to relieve himself!
  • David’s men want to take advantage of the situation and kill Saul!
  • And David cuts off the edge of Saul’s sleeveless coat!
  • But he prevents his men from killing Saul because he is the anointed of Yah.weh!
  • Then David calls out after Saul and shows him the edge of his coat he has just cut!
  • Then Saul begins to weep loudly!
  • And Saul goes back home and David his way!

Somebody says :

Numbers chapter 16. Korah was main instigator of 250 who rebelled against God and Moses. Gossip is dangerous. It started with several individuals and spread to 250. The majority are not always right. Korah was of priesthood. But wanted to be elevated. Envy and pride is dangerous. God chose Moses as the leader. Korah and some troublemakers challenged God. This isn't a democracy. It has to be done Gods way. Denominations are dangerous. They try to create their own way. Obedience to God is the only way. Korah is a lesson in denominations. Rebellion verses obedience to God. Satan as antichrist will come 6th trump. Those in denominations will go with the crowd, out of ignorance and worship antichrist. Revelation chapter 13 to document. Playing church has consequences. Many people will end up in hell. It's holding place for the spirtualty dead or wicked.

- My answer :

- You are completely right about Korah, gossip and God way!
- Now you can't prevent people from expressing themselves!
- Remember Noah and the flood!
- The majority died and just a family survived!
- Remember what happened to Israel and Judah and Jerusalem!
- The majority died and a minority survived!
- Remember the official religion, on the one hand, and Jesus and his disciples, on the other hand!
- When corruption spreads everywhere, you must get away from this corruption!
- When religion is corrupt, you can't stay inside!
- Do you remember Revelation 17, 18!
- Do you remember Revelation 17:1 about the punishment of the great prostitute, who sits on many waters!
- Do you remember Revelation 17:2 about her prostitution with the kings of the earth and those who dwell on the earth and who are intoxicated with the wine of her immorality!
- Do you remember Revelation 17:5 about Babylon the Great, the mother of prostitutes and of the abominations of the earth!
- She is drunk with the blood of the saints and of the witnesses for Jesus!
- Revelation 17:15 explaining that the waters Babylon the great is sitting on are peoples and multitudes and nations and tongues!
- Revelation 17:16 and the prostitute will be hated and will stay desolate and naked!
- Revelation 18:2: Fallen, fallen is Babylon the Great! She has become a lair for demons and a haunt for every unclean spirit, every unclean bird and every detestable beast!
- Revelation 18:4: Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins or contract any of her plagues!

YAH.WEH THE GOD OF YOUR FATHERS – THE GOD OF ABRAHAM, THE GOD OF ISAAC, AND THE GOD OF JACOB – HAS SENT ME TO YOU.
THIS IS MY NAME FOREVER, AND THIS IS HOW I AM TO BE REMEMBERED IN EVERY GENERATION IN EVERY GENERATION.

Remember:

Remember:

Biblical Hebrew has a very small number of words, about 8,000, and around 1,700 of those words are hapax legomena (being said once) in the Hebrew Bible. Modern Hebrew has about 100,000 words. For comparison modern English has over 450,000 words, and Spanish has just over 175,000 words. Standard English dictionaries typically have about 200,000 words, whereas Spanish dictionaries have about 80,000 words.

Although yom is commonly rendered as day in English translations, the word yom can be used in different ways to refer to different time spans:

• Sunrise to sunset
    • Sunset to next sunset

The Greek language is ranked as the richest in the world with 5 million words and 70 million word types. According to Dr. MacDonald, only 600,000 Greek words are used today, making the Greek vocabulary the largest in the world and 3.5 times bigger than the English vocabulary.

Though there are 138,607 words in the Greek New Testament, only 5,394 are unique.

• In Chapter 25, David sends some men to Nabal to get some food because he protected his shepherds when they were with them!
  • But he refuses!
  • So David wants to kill him!
  • But Abigail, Nabal’s wife, is faster!
  • She gets some food for David and his men!
  • She asks David to forgive her husband!
  • David praises her!
  • Ten days later, Yah.weh strikes Nabal who dies!
  • And David proposes Abigail to become his wife!
  • So She becomes his second wife, Ahinoam being the first one!
  • Abigail is a good example to remember!
  • She was wise!

• Maybe you remember that Yah.weh prevented David from building his temple because he was a soldier and he spent a big part of his life making war!
  • Jesus clearly said a Christian can’t do that!
  • In fact, everything we hear in the first part of the Bible has nothing but nothing to do with what a Christian must or mustn’t do!
  • THUS WHEN PEOPLE USE THE FIRST PART OF THE BIBLE TO JUSTIFY ANY PRACTICE IS TOTALLY WRONG AND HAS NOTHING BUT NOTHING TO DO WITH JESUS’ TEACHING!
  • I CAN’T EVEN IMAGINE HOW IT IS POSSIBLE TO THINK ABOUT IT!

Remember:

Remember:

• Sunrise to sunset
    • Sunset to next sunset

• Coming back to 1 Samuel Chapter 25 and the event related to Nabal:
  • Because of Nabal’s attitude, David was to kill him and all his men!
  • But he didn’t do it because of Nabal’s wife!

• Maybe you remember that Yah.weh prevented David from building his temple because he was a soldier and he spent a big part of his life making war!
  • In fact, everything we hear in the first part of the Bible has nothing but nothing to do with what a Christian must or mustn’t do!
  • THUS WHEN PEOPLE USE THE FIRST PART OF THE BIBLE TO JUSTIFY ANY PRACTICE IS TOTALLY WRONG AND HAS NOTHING BUT NOTHING TO DO WITH JESUS’ TEACHING!

• Remember Eleazar the priest: HE TOOK A SPEAR AND HE KILLED THE ISRAELITE AND THE MIDIANITE WOMAN WHO WERE COMMITTING IMMORALITY IN FRONT OF ALL THE ISRAELITES WHEN THEY WERE WEEPING!

• WITH ONE ACTION HE STOPPED THE SCOURGE AGAINST
ISRAEL AND YAH.WEH’S ANGER WENT AWAY!

• BUT 24,000 DIED!

- WHAT ABOUT US?

• Many people think they read the Bible but when you listen to them, it is clear they don’t read it!
  • THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO READ THE BIBLE: TO TELL THE PEOPLE ABOUT WHAT YOU READ!
  • IT DOESN’T MATTER IF YOU MAKE MISTAKES!
  • YOU MUST DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN, THEN YOU WILL START TO LEARN ABOUT THE BIBLE!
  • When he comes back, he wants to know what his slaves have done with their business activity!
  • According to what they have done he gives them authority over cities!
  • BUT ONE SLAVE HASN’T DONE ANYTHING!
  • And he takes what he gave to this slave and gives it to the one who did the best job!
  • SO THOSE WHO HAVE MORE WILL BE GIVEN!
  • BUT THOSE WHO DON’T HAVE IT WILL BE TAKEN AWAY WHAT THEY HAVE!
  • What about you?

Remember:

Remember:

• Sunrise to sunset
    • Sunset to next sunset

• In Chapter 26, David has another opportunity to kill Saul who is chasing him!
  • But he doesn’t do it because he is Yah.weh’s anointed!
  • He is ready to wait for Yah.weh to strike him!
  • And Saul leaves and David can keep on his way!
  • What a difference when he becomes king of Israel!
  • Here we get another warning!
  • What is the interest of looking for Yah.weh if we stop doing it!
  • FAITHFULNESS IS A WAY OF LIFE!
  • IT’S A STRAIGHT WAY!
  • ONLY FORWARDS!

- First I don't teach people!

- I read the Bible and I tell people about what I learn!

- When they ask me questions, I try to answer them!

- When it is possible to have a discussion, we have a discussion!

- If you look at the titles of my threads, I speak about the books of the Bible and especially about the faithful servants of Yah.weh!

- When it is different, it is because many people repeat the same arguments without knowing so I have to show how it works!

- It is necessary to check!

- About John 1:1, it is necessary to check through the Gospel of John about the use of the definite article or not!

- About Jesus' siblings, it is necessary to check the vocabulary used and the context in the different Gospels!

- About the reality of translations, it is necessary to analyze them!

- Before publishing a message, I usually publish the same information connected to the usual mistakes people make!

- Or important facts which must be remembered!

• Remember Eleazar the priest: HE TOOK A SPEAR AND HE KILLED THE ISRAELITE AND THE MIDIANITE WOMAN WHO WERE COMMITTING IMMORALITY IN FRONT OF ALL THE ISRAELITES WHEN THEY WERE WEEPING!

• WITH ONE ACTION HE STOPPED THE SCOURGE AGAINST
ISRAEL AND YAH.WEH’S ANGER WENT AWAY!

• BUT 24,000 DIED!

- WHAT ABOUT US?

• Many people think they read the Bible but when you listen to them, it is clear they don’t read it!
  • THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO READ THE BIBLE: TO TELL THE PEOPLE ABOUT WHAT YOU READ!
  • IT DOESN’T MATTER IF YOU MAKE MISTAKES!
  • YOU MUST DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN, THEN YOU WILL START TO LEARN ABOUT THE BIBLE!
  • When he comes back, he wants to know what his slaves have done with their business activity!
  • According to what they have done he gives them authority over cities!
  • BUT ONE SLAVE HASN’T DONE ANYTHING!
  • And he takes what he gave to this slave and gives it to the one who did the best job!
  • SO THOSE WHO HAVE MORE WILL BE GIVEN!
  • BUT THOSE WHO DON’T HAVE IT WILL BE TAKEN AWAY WHAT THEY HAVE!
  • What about you?

Remember:

Remember:

• Sunrise to sunset
    • Sunset to next sunset

About David:
  • He became king over Israel!
  • Then he took the wife of another man!
  • And he had him killed!
  • Apparently, he had forgotten Yah.weh!
  • Just because he became important!
  • Apparently, it is something quite usual among human beings!
  • It shows how easy it is to change completely!
  • And to lose everything!

About Solomon:
  • Solomon asks Yah.weh for wisdom!
  • He builds Yah.weh’s temple!
  • He becomes very rich!
  • But it is never enough!
  • In the end, he gets 700 wives and 300 concibines!
  • Completely crazy!
  • And he starts following their gods!
  • And Yah.weh becomes furious at Solomon!
  • And he losts everything!
  • His descendants only keep one tribe because of David!
  • Otherwise they would have lost everything!
  • Man is so limited!
  • What a lesson!
  • Who cares?

• In the Bible we are usually told about men!
  • When we are told about women, it is as wives and mothers!
  • In Genesis it is so with Eve, Sarah, Rebekah, Leah and Rachel!
  • Then we get the case of Miriam the prophetess!

https://www.gotquestions.org/Miriam-in-the-Bible.html

Miriam in the Bible is Moses’ older sister. She is called “Miriam the prophetess” in Exodus 15:20. She plays an important role in several episodes of Moses’ life and in the exodus of Israel from Egypt.

Miriam is the sister who watches over her baby brother Moses among the bulrushes on the banks of the Nile. Their mother had hidden Moses in a basket on the river bank to protect him from Pharaoh’s decree to throw all Hebrew baby boys into the river (Exodus 1:22—2:4). As Miriam watches, Pharaoh’s daughter discovers and pities Moses, and Miriam quickly intervenes to ask if the Egyptian princess would like a Hebrew woman to nurse the child for her. The princess agrees, and Miriam quickly gets their mother. Pharaoh’s daughter commands Moses’ biological mother to nurse him and bring him back to her when he is older. By the grace of God, Miriam helps save the infant Moses (Exodus 2:5–10).

Miriam had another brother, Aaron. Their parents, Amram and Jochebed (Exodus 6:20), were both from the Levite tribe of Israel (Exodus 2:1). Together, God uses Moses, Miriam, and Aaron to lead the people of Israel from slavery in Egypt to the Promised Land in Canaan (Micah 6:4). After miraculously crossing the Red Sea on dry ground and seeing the Egyptian army overthrown in the sea, Miriam leads the women with a tambourine in worshiping God with song and dance (Exodus 15:20–22). The words to Miriam’s song are recorded in verse 21: “Sing to the Lord, / for he is highly exalted. / Both horse and driver / he has hurled into the sea.” In this same passage, she is given the title “prophetess,” the first of only a handful of women in Scripture identified that way. Others called a “prophetess” are Deborah (Judges 4:4), Huldah (2 Kings 22:14), Isaiah’s wife (Isaiah 8:3), Anna (Luke 2:36), and Philip’s four daughters (Acts 21:9).

Unfortunately, Miriam later falls into a spirit of complaining. Both Miriam and Aaron criticize Moses for marrying a Cushite or Ethiopian woman, but Miriam is listed first (Numbers 12:1) so it is likely she instigated the complaint. While the complaint was ostensibly against Moses’ wife, the discontent ran deeper: “‘Has the Lord spoken only through Moses?’ they asked. ‘Hasn’t he also spoken through us?’” (Numbers 12:2). In her criticism, Miriam was questioning the Lord’s wisdom in choosing Moses as the leader.

God was angry that Miriam and Aaron were so willing to speak against the servant He had chosen. The Lord struck Miriam with leprosy. Aaron, realizing the foolishness of their words, repented of his sin, and Moses, ever the intercessor, prayed on behalf of his sister: “Moses cried out to the Lord, ‘Please, God, heal her!’” (Numbers 12:13). After a week-long quarantine, Miriam was healed and rejoined the camp. As Miriam’s leprosy convicted Aaron of the foolish words they had spoken against God’s chosen servant, it should also remind us not to judge those around us or live in jealousy when God has given a specific call to someone else (see Titus 3:1–15; James 1:26; 4:11–12; Ephesians 4:31; Philippians 4:8). Miriam had an opportunity to show the people of Israel what it meant to live in love as a servant of God without complaining, and, for most of her life, she did; but she failed in the matter of Moses’ wife. We, too, have opportunities to show the grumblers and complainers around us what it is to be a servant of Jesus Christ. Let us draw them to Jesus through our love and servanthood and not be drawn away from Him ourselves.

Our next encounter with Miriam is at the end of the 40-year desert wandering. Because of their grumbling and lack of faith in God, the first generation of Israelites to leave captivity was not allowed to enter the Promised Land. This included the prophetess Miriam. Most of the older generation had already died in the wilderness when Israel comes back to Kadesh, where they had started their wanderings. It’s here that Miriam dies and is buried (Numbers 20:1). Hers was a life of responsibility and service, of God’s calling and providence, yet it also reminds us that no one is too important to receive God’s discipline for personal sin (see 1 Corinthians 10:12).

• In the Bible we are usually told about men!
  • When we are told about women, it is as wives and mothers!
  • In Genesis it is so with Eve, Sarah, Rebekah, Leah and Rachel!
  • Then we get the case of Miriam the prophetess!

https://www.gotquestions.org/Miriam-in-the-Bible.html

Miriam in the Bible is Moses’ older sister. She is called “Miriam the prophetess” in Exodus 15:20. She plays an important role in several episodes of Moses’ life and in the exodus of Israel from Egypt.

Miriam is the sister who watches over her baby brother Moses among the bulrushes on the banks of the Nile. Their mother had hidden Moses in a basket on the river bank to protect him from Pharaoh’s decree to throw all Hebrew baby boys into the river (Exodus 1:22—2:4). As Miriam watches, Pharaoh’s daughter discovers and pities Moses, and Miriam quickly intervenes to ask if the Egyptian princess would like a Hebrew woman to nurse the child for her. The princess agrees, and Miriam quickly gets their mother. Pharaoh’s daughter commands Moses’ biological mother to nurse him and bring him back to her when he is older. By the grace of God, Miriam helps save the infant Moses (Exodus 2:5–10).

Miriam had another brother, Aaron. Their parents, Amram and Jochebed (Exodus 6:20), were both from the Levite tribe of Israel (Exodus 2:1). Together, God uses Moses, Miriam, and Aaron to lead the people of Israel from slavery in Egypt to the Promised Land in Canaan (Micah 6:4). After miraculously crossing the Red Sea on dry ground and seeing the Egyptian army overthrown in the sea, Miriam leads the women with a tambourine in worshiping God with song and dance (Exodus 15:20–22). The words to Miriam’s song are recorded in verse 21: “Sing to the Lord, / for he is highly exalted. / Both horse and driver / he has hurled into the sea.” In this same passage, she is given the title “prophetess,” the first of only a handful of women in Scripture identified that way. Others called a “prophetess” are Deborah (Judges 4:4), Huldah (2 Kings 22:14), Isaiah’s wife (Isaiah 8:3), Anna (Luke 2:36), and Philip’s four daughters (Acts 21:9).

Unfortunately, Miriam later falls into a spirit of complaining. Both Miriam and Aaron criticize Moses for marrying a Cushite or Ethiopian woman, but Miriam is listed first (Numbers 12:1) so it is likely she instigated the complaint. While the complaint was ostensibly against Moses’ wife, the discontent ran deeper: “‘Has the Lord spoken only through Moses?’ they asked. ‘Hasn’t he also spoken through us?’” (Numbers 12:2). In her criticism, Miriam was questioning the Lord’s wisdom in choosing Moses as the leader.

God was angry that Miriam and Aaron were so willing to speak against the servant He had chosen. The Lord struck Miriam with leprosy. Aaron, realizing the foolishness of their words, repented of his sin, and Moses, ever the intercessor, prayed on behalf of his sister: “Moses cried out to the Lord, ‘Please, God, heal her!’” (Numbers 12:13). After a week-long quarantine, Miriam was healed and rejoined the camp. As Miriam’s leprosy convicted Aaron of the foolish words they had spoken against God’s chosen servant, it should also remind us not to judge those around us or live in jealousy when God has given a specific call to someone else (see Titus 3:1–15; James 1:26; 4:11–12; Ephesians 4:31; Philippians 4:8). Miriam had an opportunity to show the people of Israel what it meant to live in love as a servant of God without complaining, and, for most of her life, she did; but she failed in the matter of Moses’ wife. We, too, have opportunities to show the grumblers and complainers around us what it is to be a servant of Jesus Christ. Let us draw them to Jesus through our love and servanthood and not be drawn away from Him ourselves.

Our next encounter with Miriam is at the end of the 40-year desert wandering. Because of their grumbling and lack of faith in God, the first generation of Israelites to leave captivity was not allowed to enter the Promised Land. This included the prophetess Miriam. Most of the older generation had already died in the wilderness when Israel comes back to Kadesh, where they had started their wanderings. It’s here that Miriam dies and is buried (Numbers 20:1). Hers was a life of responsibility and service, of God’s calling and providence, yet it also reminds us that no one is too important to receive God’s discipline for personal sin (see 1 Corinthians 10:12).

Deborah

According to the Book of Judges, Deborah (Hebrew: דְּבוֹרָה, Dəḇōrā, "bee") was a prophetess of the God of the Israelites, the fourth Judge of pre-monarchic Israel and the only female judge mentioned in the Hebrew Bible.

The only female judge, the only one to be called a prophet, and the only one described as performing a judicial function, Deborah is a decisive figure in the defeat of the Canaanites. This is a victory told in two accounts, a prose narrative in Judges 4 and a poem, known as the Song of Deborah, in Judges 5.

Deborah was a worshiping warrior. She found encouragement and strength in worship to be obedient to everything the Lord was asking her to do. If Deborah had played small in her life, she would not have had all the experiences that led to her being used by the Lord to deliver Israel from bondage.

Deborah’s distinct characteristics​

Apart from the various roles she played, Deborah had also several special qualities.

She was:

• Strong. She was a well-known military leader when the entire nation was in despair.
  • Brave. She was called by God to lead at a terrible time. Deborah stepped forward with heroism in obedience to God to lead the Israelites in a period of challenge and persecution.
  • Wise. She served God and His people with wisdom and knowledge. She listened to everyone coming to her for a piece of advice and then replied to them with a God-fearing attitude and wisdom.
  • Supportive. She supported the people God had called her to lead.
  • Motherly. She was called a mother of Israel.
  • Obedient. God trusted her with His Word and directions. Whatever God told her to do or say, she did.
  • Respected. She stood tall amid adversity, not thinking of herself but keeping the best and the future of the nation in front of her. Her obedience to God and her wise answers earned her the respect of the people.
  • Impeccable. She didn’t fail in any task during the full 40 years of judging Israel (Judges 5:31) until her death in 1067 BC.
  • Truthful. She only said what God told her, and nothing else. She shared God’s message and not her own agenda.
  • Confident. She was confident in God and never wavered to fulfill God’s commands because of what people may think. She knew God was with her and would protect her.
  • Stable. She was stable and of robust character. Adversity nor prosperity could disturb her spirituality, power, and inner peace.
  • Humble. She put God’s will above her own will, humbling herself to God’s leading. When it was time to receive the honor of her victory, she rather gave honor to God.

https://www.gotquestions.org/life-Deborah.html

Deborah was one of the judges of Israel during a time of oppression. She is called a prophetess and the wife of Lappidoth. The Lord spoke through her as she held court under a tree called “the Palm of Deborah” in Ephraim. The Lord also used her to set her people free and defeat the king of Canaan. Deborah’s story is found in Judges, chapters 4 and 5.

Deborah was Israel’s only female judge. Some scholars have suggested that her position as judge was itself a judgment on the weak-willed men of Israel. Because Israel’s men were unfit to judge, God chose a woman for the job, partly to shame the men who should have taken the leadership. Other commentators believe that Deborah’s role as judge was a sign of God’s comforting presence in the midst of His oppressed and downtrodden people.

When Deborah became judge, the Israelites had been subjugated for 20 years by Jabin, king of Canaan. The commander of Jabin’s army was named Sisera, and he had 900 iron chariots – formidable weapons against Israel’s foot soldiers (Judges 4:3). The Israelites were treated very cruelly by Sisera and his army, and Israel’s spirits were very low. Deborah describes the hardship of living under Jabin and Sisera this way: “The highways were abandoned, and travelers kept to the byways. The villagers ceased in Israel; they ceased to be” (Judges 5:6-7). In other words, people feared to leave their homes; traveling was very dangerous.

God’s word comes through Deborah to a man of Naphtali named Barak. The message is that he will lead the revolt against Sisera. Barak’s response is, “I’ll only go if Deborah goes with me” (Judges 4:8). Everyone was afraid of Sisera, including Barak. Deborah agrees to accompany Barak, but she also prophesies that the honor for the victory would belong to a woman, not to Barak (Judges 4:9).

When the time came for battle, God again spoke through Deborah, who prompted Barak to marshal his forces. The Israelites came against the army of Sisera, and God granted the victory. The mighty Sisera himself was brought down by the hand of a woman, just as Deborah had said. As the commander rested after the battle, a woman named Jael drove a tent peg through his head.

Who was Deborah in the Bible? We can see that God’s power is what matters, regardless of the instrument He chooses to use. Man or woman, strong or weak, confident or hesitant – all are strong when they are moved by God’s Spirit and filled with His strength. We can also see in Deborah a picture of God’s tender care for His people. As a mother cares for her children, so Deborah led and nurtured Israel (Judges 5:7).

https://www.gotquestions.org/life-Ruth.html

Ruth was “of the women of Moab” but was genetically linked to Israel through Lot, the nephew of Abraham (Ruth 1:4; Genesis 11:31; 19:37). Ruth lived in the time of the judges. She had married the son of an Israelite family while they were living in Moab, but at some point her father-in-law, her husband, and her husband’s only brother died. So Ruth had to make a decision whether to stay in Moab, her home, or to go with her mother-in-law, Naomi, to a land she had never known—Judah.

Ruth loved her mother-in-law and had great compassion for her, seeing that she had lost not only her husband but both of her sons. Ruth’s sister-in-law, Orpah, made the choice to stay with her people in Moab, but Ruth could not bear to part from Naomi or from the God of Israel that she had come to know. Together, Ruth and Naomi made the journey back to Judah to the city of Bethlehem, where they decided to settle. Ruth’s testimony spread, and Boaz, the owner of a nearby field, heard of her faithfulness, as recorded in Ruth 2:11–12: “Boaz replied, ‘I’ve been told all about what you have done for your mother-in-law since the death of your husband—how you left your father and mother and your homeland and came to live with a people you did not know before. May the LORD repay you for what you have done. May you be richly rewarded by the LORD, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge.’”

The custom of Israel was that a man was to take his deceased brother’s wife in order to continue the family line. Since Ruth’s husband’s only brother had also died, she and Naomi would have to take care of themselves. Ruth went out every day to glean fields to provide food for herself and Naomi. She found work in Boaz’s field, not knowing that he was a relative of Naomi’s. When Boaz returned home, he noticed Ruth and asked the man in charge of the reapers about her. The servant told Boaz about Ruth’s faithfulness to Naomi and her hard work in the fields. Boaz personally told Ruth to remain in his fields and stay close to the other women, also telling her that he’d warned the young men not to touch her and inviting her to drink freely of the water the men had drawn anytime she was thirsty (Ruth 2:8–9). Ruth responded in humility and appreciation, asking why he would show such favor to her, a foreigner, at which point Boaz told her he’d heard of her sacrifice for her mother-in-law (Ruth 2:10–13). Boaz continued to show her every courtesy, providing a meal to her and instructing his reapers to purposefully leave some grain behind for her to glean (Ruth 2:14–16).

When Ruth told Naomi where she had gleaned, Naomi was happy and told Ruth that Boaz was a close relative, a kinsman of Elimelech, Naomi’s husband; therefore, Boaz was qualified to become Ruth’s kinsman-redeemer. It was of the utmost importance in Israel to perpetuate the name of every family of Israel, so this gave Ruth the right to appeal to Boaz to fill that role. Naomi encouraged Ruth to continue gleaning in Boaz’s fields, which she did through the barley and wheat harvests (Ruth 2:18–23).

At the barley harvest, Naomi suggested that Ruth go to Boaz while he winnowed barley and essentially ask him to be her kinsman-redeemer. Ruth had an open mind and a teachable spirit, so she listened to her mother-in-law and did as she had requested (Ruth 3:2–5). Ruth followed Naomi’s instructions to the letter. Boaz responded favorably, but he knew of an even closer male relative who would be first in line to redeem Ruth and her family’s property. That man had to be consulted before Boaz could take Ruth as a wife. The very next day, Boaz met with the other relative, who legally relinquished all his rights to Ruth and Naomi’s property.

Ruth and Boaz soon married and had a son named Obed. The women of the land rejoiced, seeing the faithfulness of God and saying to Naomi, "Praise be to the Lord, who this day has not left you without a guardian-redeemer. May he become famous throughout Israel! He will renew your life and sustain you in your old age. For your daughter-in-law, who loves you and who is better to you than seven sons, has given him birth" (Ruth 4:14–15).

Ruth trusted the Lord, and He rewarded her faithfulness by giving her not only a husband but a son (Obed), a grandson (Jesse), and a great-grandson named David, the king of Israel (Ruth 4:17). Besides these gifts (Psalm 127:3), God gave Ruth the blessing of being listed in the lineage of Jesus (Matthew 1:5).

Ruth is an example of how God can change a life and take it in a direction He has foreordained. We see Him working out His perfect plan in Ruth’s life, just as He does with all His children (Romans 8:28). Although Ruth came from a pagan background in Moab, once she met the God of Israel, she became a living testimonial to Him by faith. Even though she lived in humble circumstances before marrying Boaz, she believed that God was faithful to care for His people. Also, Ruth is an example to us of hard work and faithfulness. We know that God rewards faithfulness: “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him” (Hebrews 11:6).

Ruth 1:1

In the days
בִּימֵי֙ (bî·mê)
Preposition-b | Noun - masculine plural construct
Strong's 3117: A day

when the judges
הַשֹּׁפְטִ֔ים (haš·šō·p̄ə·ṭîm)
Article | Verb - Qal - Participle - masculine plural
Strong's 8199: To judge, pronounce sentence, to vindicate, punish, to govern, to litigate

ruled,
שְׁפֹ֣ט (šə·p̄ōṭ)
Verb - Qal - Infinitive construct
Strong's 8199: To judge, pronounce sentence, to vindicate, punish, to govern, to litigate

there was
וַיְהִ֗י (way·hî)
Conjunctive waw | Verb - Qal - Consecutive imperfect - third person masculine singular
Strong's 1961: To fall out, come to pass, become, be

a famine
רָעָ֖ב (rā·‘āḇ)
Noun - masculine singular
Strong's 7458: Famine, hunger

in the land.
בָּאָ֑רֶץ (bā·’ā·reṣ)
Preposition-b, Article | Noun - feminine singular
Strong's 776: Earth, land

And a certain man
אִ֜ישׁ (’îš)
Noun - masculine singular
Strong's 376: A man as an individual, a male person

from
מִבֵּ֧ית (mib·bêṯ)
Preposition
Strong's Hebrew

Bethlehem
לֶ֣חֶם (le·ḥem)
Preposition | Noun - proper - feminine singular
Strong's 1035: Bethlehem -- 'place of bread', a city in Judah, also a city in Zebulun

in Judah,
יְהוּדָ֗ה (yə·hū·ḏāh)
Noun - proper - masculine singular
Strong's 3063: Judah -- 'praised', a son of Jacob, also the southern kingdom, also four Israelites

with his wife
וְאִשְׁתּ֖וֹ (wə·’iš·tōw)
Conjunctive waw | Noun - feminine singular construct | third person masculine singular
Strong's 802: Woman, wife, female

and two
וּשְׁנֵ֥י (ū·šə·nê)
Conjunctive waw | Number - mdc
Strong's 8147: Two (a cardinal number)

sons,
בָנָֽיו׃ (ḇā·nāw)
Noun - masculine plural construct | third person masculine singular
Strong's 1121: A son

went
וַיֵּ֨לֶךְ (way·yê·leḵ)
Conjunctive waw | Verb - Qal - Consecutive imperfect - third person masculine singular
Strong's 1980: To go, come, walk

to reside
לָגוּר֙ (lā·ḡūr)
Preposition-l | Verb - Qal - Infinitive construct
Strong's 1481: To turn aside from the road, sojourn, to shrink, fear, to gather for, hostility

in the land
בִּשְׂדֵ֣י (biś·ḏê)
Preposition-b | Noun - masculine plural construct
Strong's 7704: Field, land

of Moab.
מוֹאָ֔ב (mō·w·’āḇ)
Noun - proper - feminine singular
Strong's 4124: Moab -- a son of Lot,also his descendants and the territory where they settled

• It was at the time of Judges in Israel!
  • There was a famine!
  • A couple went with his two sons to Moab!
  • They were from Bethlehem in Judah!

Back