Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Interecessory Prayer/Communion of Saints: Biblical Support

francisdesales said:
jasoncran said:
uh what if the persons who wrote the bible just dicated what lord spoke?

Where does this happen? It is widely agreed that the Gospels were not dictations, but narratives. They were written long after the subject time frame. We know they are not "dictations" because the Synoptics are not identical when describing the same event.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit" Matthew

"Blessed are the poor" Luke

Or "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matthew
vs "Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful" Luke

Since there is a difference, there is not a "dictation", but a theological process going on here. Each writer is emphasizing a different aspect of God's revelation given to mankind. It is not an "either/or" but a BOTH.

Regards
some areas did, ie genesis,(parts) and others (job)

JamesG said:
Francisdesales

I read the first couple of paragraphs of your your post and couldn't go any farther. Do you really believe that I am unable to understand these Catholic matters because of my belief?

JamesG

LOL! Of course not. I would be guilty of hypocrisy, as I so recently mentioned that I am able to understand concepts that I may not agree with, as well!

But if you a priori will accept only "Bible alone" as the source of ALL Christian doctrines and beliefs, it would be difficult to accept intercessory prayers to dead saints, because the explicit record of it is virtually non-existent. Thus, to accomodate you, I provide Biblical notions that, taken together, can lead one to the belief - while maintaining the integrity of prima scriptura - which recognizes that there is such a thing as the development of doctrine and that Apostolic Tradition is a legitimate source of doctrines (not entirely alone, but aiding the Scriptures)

You have asked to learn more about Catholicism, but while remaining in a Protestant paradigm. To understand better our point of view, you must at least understand (not necessarily ACCEPTING) that WE do not accept sola scriptura as being biblical, nor historical. In addition, the authority of the Church, not mentioned yet, plays an important role in the acceptance of this doctrine. So, attempting to put yourself in our shoes will require that you "experimentally" become open to apostolic traditions and development of doctrines, coupled with the knowledge that the Church is the pillar and foundation of the Truth, established by Christ to bring the members of the Body to all truth.

My opening paragraphs are just a reminder of this, summarized. I think if you continue on, you will see that I am NOT saying you "can't get it because of your current beliefs". I lay out Biblical notions, taken together that lead to the act of praying to dead saints for intercessory aid. This is how development of doctrine works - reflecting on the Scriptures and Tradition.

Joe

JamesG said:
Francisdesales

Did you check out my last post on the 1 on 1?

JamesG

Oh, sorry, you got me like a yo-yo, I thought you want to discuss this stuff here. I'll go look at it...

OK. Are you interested in sola scriptura first, or my "journey"? I guess I'll do two separate posts...

I have posted two posts and I'll keep a better eye on that thread from now on, James.

Regards

Francisdesales

I did an answer to this one and offered it around 6AM of June 24:

Re: Some Catholic Concepts
by francisdesales on Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:50 pm

It has not materialized as of over 12 hours and counting.

Meanwhile, this one of yours has materialized as of this time

Re: Some Catholic Concepts
by francisdesales on Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:25 am

I think I’ll wait for mine to materialize before I go any farther. Let’s give them a chance to catch up. I will await your answer to the one I offered at 6AM, and then see where we are.

JamesG

Back