Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Baptism necessary for Salvation?

electedbyHim

Elected by Him
Calvinism Overseer
There are some who believe that water baptism is necessary for salvation based on a handful of Scriptures.

Baptismal regeneration is the doctrine that baptism results in regeneration of the subject baptized. Usually based upon John 3:5 and Titus 3:5.

I have concluded that Baptismal Regeration is a work added to Salvation and consider it a different Gospel.

Studying these scriptures and reading commentaries shed much light for me on this subject. I turn to men of God who are fluent in the original languages and understand hermeneutics more than I ever can.

There are many different interpretations of this verse including two births (physical and spiritual), water as a symbol for Holy Spirit or the word of God. I would like to focus on what some would believe is Baptismal Regenration (born of water).

There are other Scriptures that can be addressed as well.

This should be a good start.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

John 3:5 does not teach Baptismal Regeneration. In fact, it is not even referring to baptism! In John 3, Jesus makes the statement that, “Unless one is born again he cannot see the Kingdom of God” (3:3). In response, Nicodemus asks, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” (3:4). Jesus’ answer is, “Unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the Kingdom of God” (3:5). In the context of this conversation it is more natural to understand Jesus’ use of the word “water” as a reference to physical birth rather than baptism. As every mother knows, all children are literally born “out of water.” Therefore, when Nicodemus asked, “Can a man be born a second time from his mother’s womb?” Jesus in essence conceded that a man had to be born of water, that is, physically. Yet, He went on to insist that the second birth was spiritual in nature. Thus, John 3 does not teach that water baptism is necessary for salvation. It teaches that physical birth is. In other words, a person must be born before he can be born again. John 3:6 confirms this view, saying “that which is born of flesh is flesh and that which is born of Spirit is spirit.” That says it all.
[1]Chafer Theological Seminary. (1997; 2002). Chafer Theological Seminary Journal Volume 3

Carson has an excellent argument against this interpretation writing that "If water = baptism is so important for entering the kingdom, it is surprising that the rest of the discussion never mentions it again: the entire focus is on the work of the Spirit (v. 8), the work of the Son (vv. 14–15), the work of God himself (vv. 16–17), and the place of faith (vv. 15–16)....The Spirit plays a powerful role in John 14–16; 20:22, but there is no hint of baptism.....The entire view seems to rest on an unarticulated prejudice that every mention of water evoked instant recognition, in the minds of first-century readers, that the real reference was to baptism, but it is very doubtful that this prejudice can be sustained by the sources. Even so, this conclusion does not preclude the possibility of a secondary allusion to baptism" Borrow The Gospel according to John)

J M Boice - Unfortunately, this is not substantiated either by the text or by biblical theology. The text says nothing at all about baptism, and the Bible elsewhere teaches that no one is saved by any external rite of religion (1 Sam. 16:7; Rom. 2:28–29; Gal. 2:15, 16; 5:1–6). Baptism is a sign of what has already taken place, but it is not the agent by which it takes place.(Boice - The Gospel of John)

Kenneth Wuest - Others interpret the word “water” as referring to the rite of water baptism. But we submit that this is pure eisegesis, reading into the text something that is not there. Surely, the word “water” in itself, does not include within its meaning the idea of baptism. Furthermore, the only proper recipient of water baptism is one who has already been born again, the new-birth preceding water baptism, not the rite preceding the new birth. Again, the question arises as to how such a supernatural change as regeneration produces, could be the result of a mere ceremony.

MacArthur - Others see in the phrase born of water a reference to baptism, either that of John the Baptist, or Christian baptism. But Nicodemus would not have understood Christian baptism (which did not yet exist) nor misunderstood John the Baptist’s baptism. Nor would Jesus have refrained from baptizing people (Jn 4:2) if baptism were necessary for salvation. (See John Commentary - What Does It Mean to be Born of Water and Spirit?)

Immersion in water is an ordinance of God. The Pharisees refused to be immersed in water and are said to have rejected the will of God against themselves for not doing it.
Jesus was also immersed in water to fulfill all righteousness.

To think that Jesus was saying someone had to be born of the water of a womb sounds ridiculous to me. As if there are some who are not born of the water of a womb.

To think that Jesus was saying someone had to be born of the water of a womb sounds ridiculous to me. As if there are some who are not born of the water of a womb.
While it maybe ridiculous to you now IOW , it was an explanation to Nicodemus who was perplexed then and there .

It was the lack of Nicodemus's understanding of what was meant by being born again that prompted Jesus to say what He did . A birth of the flesh by water , a birth of Spirit by God . Born Again !

4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

electedbyhim , have you had a water baptism ?

If yes , why did you get baptized ?

Your answers are probably the same as mine :) .
Yes, a few years after I got out of the Penitentiary, that is where the Lord saved me.

Holy Spirit convicted me of the command to be Baptised, so that is what I did.

While it maybe ridiculous to you now IOW , it was an explanation to Nicodemus who was perplexed then and there .

It was the lack of Nicodemus's understanding of what was meant by being born again that prompted Jesus to say what He did . A birth of the flesh by water , a birth of Spirit by God . Born Again !

4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Nicodemus wasn’t confused about how babies are born. He was confused about being born again.
This is how it happpens:
The man repents of his sins, dies to those sins by going down into the water and comes back again out of the water having his sins forgiven. He is born of water.

Then, when the man actually dies, he goes down into the grave and is then resurrected from the grave to die no more. Born of the Spirit.

Nicodemus wasn’t confused about how babies are born. He was confused about being born again.
This is how it happpens:
The man repents of his sins, dies to those sins by going down into the water and comes back again out of the water having his sins forgiven. He is born of water.
Does the water forgive your sins or does Jesus forgive your sins ? Your choice , choose one :) .

Looking at this question from a slightly different angle, I wonder, if someone claims to be a believer but then refuses to be baptized, would that be sinful since it is a command to baptize disciples? Would it also indicate that the person is not truly a believer?

If someone is not baptised, are they saved?
No. Because it is for the remission of sin and places us in Christ because it is into him we are baptized. Into his name.

It is referred to being born anew because the person dies to the flesh, is buried in the water and comes out again having his sins forgiven.

And it’s called immersion not sprinkling. Because when a person dies he is put into the grave, the grave is not put onto him.

Looking at this question from a slightly different angle, I wonder, if someone claims to be a believer but then refuses to be baptized, would that be sinful since it is a command to baptize disciples? Would it also indicate that the person is not truly a believer?
I would not say they are not a believer, however on the Lord would know that.

I would say they are in sin refusing a command by our Lord.

No. Because it is for the remission of sin and places us in Christ because it is into him we are baptized. Into his name.

It is referred to being born anew because the person dies to the flesh, is buried in the water and comes out again having his sins forgiven.

And it’s called immersion not sprinkling. Because when a person dies he is put into the grave, the grave is not put onto him.
But you just added a work to salvation, you are also implying Christs work on the cross was not effective enough.

Also, how did Holy Spirit convict my heart (conscience) to get baptised per the command in scripture if I was not saved? This was several yyears afte the Lord saved me and put His Spirit in me.

Those without Holy Spirir are not regenerate, they want nothing to do with God, they are an enemy and Holy Spirit is not in them.

What verse are you referring to in the above statement.

Per the OP John 3:5 does not teach that.

I would not say they are not a believer, however on the Lord would know that.

I would say they are in sin refusing a command by our Lord.
We are justified by faith. The first act of faith is to be immersed in water into Christ for the remission of sin.
Coming out of the water justifies our faith.

Baptism is an ordinance of God. The Pharisees refused to be immersed and are said to have rejected the will of God and therefore to justify themselves. But their refusal was actually against themselves.

But you just added a work to salvation, you are also implying Christs work on the cross was not effective enough.

Also, how did Holy Spirit convict my heart (conscience) to get baptised per the command in scripture if I was not saved? This was several yyears afte the Lord saved me and put His Spirit in me.

Those without Holy Spirir are not regenerate, they want nothing to do with God, they are an enemy and Holy Spirit is not in them.

What verse are you referring to in the above statement.

Per the OP John 3:5 does not teach that.
You felt in your heart you ought be baptized. So you went a got baptized. Didn’t that take action on your part?

You felt in your heart you ought be baptized. So you went a got baptized. Didn’t that take action on your part?
I was already saved, had not Holy Spirit convicted me through Scripture, I would have never been Baptised.

Paul was not baptised.

There are some who believe that water baptism is necessary for salvation based on a handful of Scriptures.

Baptismal regeneration is the doctrine that baptism results in regeneration of the subject baptized. Usually based upon John 3:5 and Titus 3:5.

I have concluded that Baptismal Regeration is a work added to Salvation and consider it a different Gospel.

Studying these scriptures and reading commentaries shed much light for me on this subject. I turn to men of God who are fluent in the original languages and understand hermeneutics more than I ever can.

There are many different interpretations of this verse including two births (physical and spiritual), water as a symbol for Holy Spirit or the word of God. I would like to focus on what some would believe is Baptismal Regenration (born of water).

There are other Scriptures that can be addressed as well.

This should be a good start.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

John 3:5 does not teach Baptismal Regeneration. In fact, it is not even referring to baptism! In John 3, Jesus makes the statement that, “Unless one is born again he cannot see the Kingdom of God” (3:3). In response, Nicodemus asks, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” (3:4). Jesus’ answer is, “Unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the Kingdom of God” (3:5). In the context of this conversation it is more natural to understand Jesus’ use of the word “water” as a reference to physical birth rather than baptism. As every mother knows, all children are literally born “out of water.” Therefore, when Nicodemus asked, “Can a man be born a second time from his mother’s womb?” Jesus in essence conceded that a man had to be born of water, that is, physically. Yet, He went on to insist that the second birth was spiritual in nature. Thus, John 3 does not teach that water baptism is necessary for salvation. It teaches that physical birth is. In other words, a person must be born before he can be born again. John 3:6 confirms this view, saying “that which is born of flesh is flesh and that which is born of Spirit is spirit.” That says it all.
[1]Chafer Theological Seminary. (1997; 2002). Chafer Theological Seminary Journal Volume 3

Carson has an excellent argument against this interpretation writing that "If water = baptism is so important for entering the kingdom, it is surprising that the rest of the discussion never mentions it again: the entire focus is on the work of the Spirit (v. 8), the work of the Son (vv. 14–15), the work of God himself (vv. 16–17), and the place of faith (vv. 15–16)....The Spirit plays a powerful role in John 14–16; 20:22, but there is no hint of baptism.....The entire view seems to rest on an unarticulated prejudice that every mention of water evoked instant recognition, in the minds of first-century readers, that the real reference was to baptism, but it is very doubtful that this prejudice can be sustained by the sources. Even so, this conclusion does not preclude the possibility of a secondary allusion to baptism" Borrow The Gospel according to John)

J M Boice - Unfortunately, this is not substantiated either by the text or by biblical theology. The text says nothing at all about baptism, and the Bible elsewhere teaches that no one is saved by any external rite of religion (1 Sam. 16:7; Rom. 2:28–29; Gal. 2:15, 16; 5:1–6). Baptism is a sign of what has already taken place, but it is not the agent by which it takes place.(Boice - The Gospel of John)

Kenneth Wuest - Others interpret the word “water” as referring to the rite of water baptism. But we submit that this is pure eisegesis, reading into the text something that is not there. Surely, the word “water” in itself, does not include within its meaning the idea of baptism. Furthermore, the only proper recipient of water baptism is one who has already been born again, the new-birth preceding water baptism, not the rite preceding the new birth. Again, the question arises as to how such a supernatural change as regeneration produces, could be the result of a mere ceremony.

MacArthur - Others see in the phrase born of water a reference to baptism, either that of John the Baptist, or Christian baptism. But Nicodemus would not have understood Christian baptism (which did not yet exist) nor misunderstood John the Baptist’s baptism. Nor would Jesus have refrained from baptizing people (Jn 4:2) if baptism were necessary for salvation. (See John Commentary - What Does It Mean to be Born of Water and Spirit?)
Hello electedbyhim, Is Baptism necessary for Salvation? yes, below is just one view.

Mark 16:16​

King James Version​

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Read full chapter

Love, Walter And Debbie

Last edited:
Re: Would that be sinful since it is a command to baptize disciples?
Premise 1: Act 2:38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Premise 2: Sin is defined as disobeying God
Premise 3: Act 2:38 is the word of God
Conclusion: it is a sin to not be baptized

Re: Would it also indicate that the person is not truly a believer?
Premise 1: Indicate: To serve as a sign, symptom, or token of; signify.
Premise 2: 1 John 2:29 If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone also who practices
righteousness is born of Him.
Premise 3: to not obey the call to be baptized is disobedience
Conclusion: non baptism indicate a non-believer (the degree that this indicates a non-believer is subjective)

Is Baptism necessary for Salvation?​

I got to think the thief on the cross story would answer this question.

There is a rap song I like that's says

"If you get baptized but you don't repent, my brotha, you just gettin wet"

Hello electedbyhim, Is Baptism necessary for Salvation? yes, below is just one view.

Mark 16:16​

King James Version​

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Read full chapter

Love, Walter And Debbie
How do you explain Noah and the thief on the cross?

Back