Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Baptism necessary for Salvation?

Hello electedbyhim, Is Baptism necessary for Salvation? yes, below is just one view.

Mark 16:16​

King James Version​

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Read full chapter

Love, Walter And Debbie

Mark 16:15–16
And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

Before He ascended Jesus told the disciples, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; and he who does not believe will be condemned” (Mark 16:15–16). Does not this passage teach that water baptism is necessary for salvation?

The answer is “no,” which several observations demonstrate. In the first place, belief, not baptism, is the critical issue in this passage. The passage says that if you do not believe you will be condemned; it does not say if you do not believe and are not baptized you will be condemned. Obviously, then, the issue is faith.

Perhaps more importantly, it should be pointed out that this passage does not say, “be baptized to be saved,” nor does it say, “if you are not baptized you cannot be saved.” Neither does it discuss believing and not being baptized. Therefore, one cannot say that this passage demands baptism for salvation. In other words, given the two items of belief and baptism there are only four possibilities:

Believe and be baptizedSalvation
Believe and not be baptizedNot discussed
Not believe and be baptizedImplied, but not discussed
Not believe and not be baptizedCondemnation
Since this passage does not discuss the possibility of believing and not being baptized, it cannot be said that this passage teaches that baptism is necessary for salvation. To say the passage teaches that one must be baptized to be saved is to add to the passage. The apostle John gave a stern warning against doing such a thing (Revelation 22:18).

How does one then explain the statement, “He who is saved and is baptized will be saved?” The point, as Matthew 28:19 confirms, is that baptism is a part of the great commission. As has been pointed out, Mark 16:16 does not say “be baptized in order to be saved”; it says “he who believes and is baptized.” It is like saying he who gets on a bus and sits down will go to New York. That does not mean that one must sit down in order to get to New York. Technically, all that is necessary to get to New York is to get on the bus. Likewise, as we have seen, the critical issue in Mark 16 is faith. All a person has to do to get to heaven is trust Christ. This means one may believe, be baptized, and get to heaven, or one may believe and not be baptized and still get to heaven. What this passage definitely does not teach is that one must be baptized to receive God’s forgiveness.[1]

Mark 16:16 "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

We find these passages in Mk. 16:9-20 are not found in some of the oldest Greek manuscripts, so it is questionable whether they are a scribal addition. Assuming that it is part of the canon of Scripture, it dioes not change other Scrptures. We find that those who believe and are baptized are saved, those who do not believe are condemned.

What it does not say is that the absence of baptism condemns someone. It is the absence of faith (belief) that will condemn, because it is one's faith that is relative to salvation. One is baptized because they believe, not to believe.

He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved - This sounds like it saying one must be baptized (assuming water baptism) to be saved. While this is not inspired Scripture, people who believe baptism is necessary for salvation will appeal to this non-inspired passage. While we could simply tell them this text is not accepted by almost all writers as the inspired, inerrant Word of God, there is something else we can do. We can challenge them to read the text in context.

but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned - What does this passage teach us in context? It clearly unhinges belief from baptism and states that if one does not believe they will be condemned. The implication clearly is that they are not saved. What is clear is that it does not say one who has disbelieved and not been baptized will be condemned. So even thought this text is not inspired, an honest reading in context clearly refutes the false teaching that one needs to be baptized (assuming water baptism) to be saved.

[1]Chafer Theological Seminary. (1997; 2002). Chafer Theological Seminary Journal Volume 3 (3:9-10). Chafer Theological Seminary.

Mark 16:15–16
And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

Before He ascended Jesus told the disciples, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; and he who does not believe will be condemned” (Mark 16:15–16). Does not this passage teach that water baptism is necessary for salvation?

The answer is “no,” which several observations demonstrate. In the first place, belief, not baptism, is the critical issue in this passage. The passage says that if you do not believe you will be condemned; it does not say if you do not believe and are not baptized you will be condemned. Obviously, then, the issue is faith.

Perhaps more importantly, it should be pointed out that this passage does not say, “be baptized to be saved,” nor does it say, “if you are not baptized you cannot be saved.” Neither does it discuss believing and not being baptized. Therefore, one cannot say that this passage demands baptism for salvation. In other words, given the two items of belief and baptism there are only four possibilities:

Believe and be baptizedSalvation
Believe and not be baptizedNot discussed
Not believe and be baptizedImplied, but not discussed
Not believe and not be baptizedCondemnation

Since this passage does not discuss the possibility of believing and not being baptized, it cannot be said that this passage teaches that baptism is necessary for salvation. To say the passage teaches that one must be baptized to be saved is to add to the passage. The apostle John gave a stern warning against doing such a thing (Revelation 22:18).

How does one then explain the statement, “He who is saved and is baptized will be saved?” The point, as Matthew 28:19 confirms, is that baptism is a part of the great commission. As has been pointed out, Mark 16:16 does not say “be baptized in order to be saved”; it says “he who believes and is baptized.” It is like saying he who gets on a bus and sits down will go to New York. That does not mean that one must sit down in order to get to New York. Technically, all that is necessary to get to New York is to get on the bus. Likewise, as we have seen, the critical issue in Mark 16 is faith. All a person has to do to get to heaven is trust Christ. This means one may believe, be baptized, and get to heaven, or one may believe and not be baptized and still get to heaven. What this passage definitely does not teach is that one must be baptized to receive God’s forgiveness.[1]

Mark 16:16 "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

We find these passages in Mk. 16:9-20 are not found in some of the oldest Greek manuscripts, so it is questionable whether they are a scribal addition. Assuming that it is part of the canon of Scripture, it dioes not change other Scrptures. We find that those who believe and are baptized are saved, those who do not believe are condemned.

What it does not say is that the absence of baptism condemns someone. It is the absence of faith (belief) that will condemn, because it is one's faith that is relative to salvation. One is baptized because they believe, not to believe.

He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved - This sounds like it saying one must be baptized (assuming water baptism) to be saved. While this is not inspired Scripture, people who believe baptism is necessary for salvation will appeal to this non-inspired passage. While we could simply tell them this text is not accepted by almost all writers as the inspired, inerrant Word of God, there is something else we can do. We can challenge them to read the text in context.

but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned - What does this passage teach us in context? It clearly unhinges belief from baptism and states that if one does not believe they will be condemned. The implication clearly is that they are not saved. What is clear is that it does not say one who has disbelieved and not been baptized will be condemned. So even thought this text is not inspired, an honest reading in context clearly refutes the false teaching that one needs to be baptized (assuming water baptism) to be saved.

[1]Chafer Theological Seminary. (1997; 2002). Chafer Theological Seminary Journal Volume 3 (3:9-10). Chafer Theological Seminary.
It seems to me that you are changing what The Apostles Doctrine are you? Do you know the history of Paul's life at his conversion?

Or the Apostle Paul.
??? what does Paul have to do with the question???

Paul was baptized
Acts 9:18 Immediately something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he regained his sight. Then he got up and was baptized;

and Paul baptized others:
1 Corinthians 1:14-16 “[14] I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; [15] Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. [16] And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.”

??? what does Paul have to do with the question???

Paul was baptized
Acts 9:18 Immediately something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he regained his sight. Then he got up and was baptized;

and Paul baptized others:
1 Corinthians 1:14-16 “[14] I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; [15] Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. [16] And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.”
Ouch!

I stand corrected and stumbled because of my pride.

Proverbs 16:18 Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before stumbling.

But baptism was not part of Pauls salvation.

Apologies to all.

Last edited:
It seems to me that you are changing what The Apostles Doctrine are you? Do you know the history of Paul's life at his conversion?
The thief on the cross and Noah is the perfect example that disproves that water baptism is needed for salvation.

I have been baptized twice, and I can assure you that I was still going straight to hell if I had never repented and changed my ways. Water baptism basically teaches that any unrepentant Center can just dip himself in water by a pastor in the name of Jesus Christ, and he's automatically on his way to heaven.

Man heaven is way too easy lol...

What do you mean? what about them?
They did not get baptized and yet they were saved, Noah's salvation was recorded in first or second Peter I believe, and the salvation of the thief on the cross is recorded in all the Gospels, neither of them had the luxury of getting dipped into a pool.

If you are saying baptism is a necessary component of salvation, and that means all I got to do is have my pastor dunk me in some water and then I can go sin as much as I want to, but I'm saved since I got dunked in water.

As I said before, quoting a rap artist, "if you get baptize but you don't repent, my brother you just getting wet."

The thief on the cross and Noah is the perfect example that disproves that water baptism is needed for salvation.

I have been baptized twice, and I can assure you that I was still going straight to hell if I had never repented and changed my ways. Water baptism basically teaches that any unrepentant Center can just dip himself in water by a pastor in the name of Jesus Christ, and he's automatically on his way to heaven.

Man heaven is way too easy lol...
Works salvation.

How do you know you are regenerated?
I noticed you are a Calvinist. I used to be but not anymore.
Calvinist teach that man is spiritually dead. The Bible does not.
The Bible teaches that man is dead in trespasses and sin and therefore is condemned or judged to die. This condemnation was brought by Adam to all his progeny.
Anyone who remains in Adam are condemned and are said to be already dead. Just as someone who is in Christ is said already possess eternal life.
The dead in Adam will eventually die, just as the living in Christ will be eventually receive eternal life.
You can know you’re regenerated when you believe the gospel and are baptized into Christ.

I noticed you are a Calvinist. I used to be but not anymore.
The Bible teaches that man is dead in trespasses and sin and therefore is condemned or judged to die. This condemnation was brought by Adam to all his progeny.
Anyone who remains in Adam are condemned and are said to be already dead. Just as someone who is in Christ is said already possess eternal life.
The dead in Adam will eventually die, just as the living in Christ will be eventually receive eternal life.
You can know you’re regenerated when you believe the gospel and are baptized into Christ.

There are many many Bible verses to refute what you claim.

I would not say they are not a believer, however on the Lord would know that.

I would say they are in sin refusing a command by our Lord.
Perhaps rather than wondering if baptism is necessary for salvation the thought should be that baptism is necessary because of salvation.

Back