Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is faith a condition?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

JM

AV1611 posted this on another forum and it was a good read.

"He that believes shall be saved, he that believes not shall be damned." Is not faith here the condition of the covenant?

I answer, There is no person under heaven shall be saved till he have believed. This I grant; yet this will not make faith to be the condition of the covenant. For, first, consider faith as an act, our act, and as we do it, so I say it is a work; our act of believing is a work. If therefore we perform the condition that is a work for the enjoyment of the covenant, then the covenant doth depend upon a work; but it doth not depend upon a work, for the text saith," To him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly," &c.

You will say, In that text, believing is required to the justifying of the ungodly.

I answer, An ungodly person, after be is justified, believes: but you must understand it, it is not the faith of the man that simply and properly justifies, but it is that Christ in whom he believes; believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly: it is he that justifieth, that is Christ. It is not believing that justifies. Mark well that phrase; him that justifieth. Justification is an act of Christ, it is not an act of faith.

But you will say, It is an act of Christ by faith.

I answer, Then Christ justifies not alone. Is faith Christ himself? If not, then Christ must have a partner to justify, or else faith doth not justify, but Christ alone doth it. Nay, I say more, Christ justifies a person before he believes; for, he that believes is justified before he believes; for I ask you, whether in justification a man must believe a truth or a falsehood? You will say, he must believe a truth; then say I, it is a truth that he is justified before he believes it; he cannot believe that which is not, and if he be not justified, that he may believe it, he then believes that which is false. But he is first justified before he believes, then he believes that he is justified.

But what then serves faith for?

I answer, It serves for the manifestation of that justification which Christ puts upon a person by himself alone: that you by believing on him, may have the declaration, and manifestation of your justification.

Mark what the apostle saith, whereby you shall find the true use of fairly, that is not the condition, without which we receive no benefit from Christ; but rather it is the manifestation of that which is already done, and received. Heb. xi. 1, the apostle saith, "Faith is the ground of things hoped for, and the evidence of things not seen." I pray you observe the apostle's expression, there is abundance of light in it. Faith is the evidence of things, it is not the being of things; and it is the evidence of things not seen. A man is justified, and that by Christ alone, but it is not known to him, it is an unseen thing. Well, how shall he see this, and know that it is so? The text saith "Faith is an evidence;" faith gives evidence to this thing, faith makes it known; by faith we come to apprehend it; by faith we come to rejoice in it, as we apprehend it to be our own. It is true, indeed, Christ has honoured faith admirably; but let us take heed we do not over-honour it, to give the peculiar reserved prerogative of Christ himself unto it: if faith were a concurrent thing with Christ, and Christ did justify a person alone, what would follow? Consider, when a man is justified, he is justified from all unrighteousness, and if his faith justifies him from all unrighteousness, this thing will unavoidably follow; that that thing which is full of unrighteousness will justify a man from unrighteousness; as much as to say, a man is justified from sin by sin.

But you will say, Faith is not sin.

I answer, No, faith itself is not sin: but that faith acted by believers is full of sin; and the fulness of sin in it, makes faith in some sense, a sinful faith: and if it be sinful, how can that which is sinful justify man from sinfulness? What need Christ be without all sin to justify a person, if any thing else could do it that hath sinfulness in it? You must either say, there is no sin in your faith, or else you must say, you are justified by that which hath sin in it; yet, I say still, as faith is an evidence, a manifestation, so it may be said to he our justification: that we are, in regard of our own hearts, and our own spirits, justified by faith; but God-ward, as we stand actually before him, a discharged people from sin, and so consequently partakers of the covenant; as we stand thus, I say, it is not faith that justifies, neither wholly, nor in part; but Christ alone freely for his own sake, considering a person as ungodly, so he justifies him.

Beloved, let me tell you, though faith itself cannot thus be called our righteousness; yet in respect of the glory that God ascribes to it, that it seals to men's souls the fulness of righteousness, how can you consider a person a believer, and withal ungodly? When men are believers, they cease to be ungodly: but if they are not justified till they believe, Christ doth not justify the ungodly, but the godly; and then that truth which I have delivered, Rom. iv. 5, cannot hold current, "That we must believe on him that justifies the ungodly;" but rather, we must believe on him that justifies the righteous. But, as I said, we do not believe that we may be justified; but we do believe, and truly believe, when we are, and because we are justified. So that still it stands firm, we are not justified, we are not in covenant, we partake not of the covenant, by any condition we perform, till which performance the covenant cannot be made good unto us; but we are in covenant, and Christ makes us to be in covenant, for his own sake, without any condition in the creature, "Shewing mercy to whom he will shew mercy;" without any thing, I say, the creature is to do, to this end, to partake of the covenant.

http://grace-for-today.com/1417.htm

RJS said:
Tobias Crisp is always a good read :)

The problem is we have many folks that are unread and not willing to look into the deeper issues of God.

This thread will just get burried.

~JM~

But he is first justified before he believes, then he believes that he is justified.

Some of this language is a bit difficult for me to understand, but this statement almost sounds like predesination...

I couldn't understand the post either. It kind of sounded like double talk to me and it seemed to eliminate faith for salvation. Maybe, JM should explain his position in language that we can understand.

May God bless, Golfjack

He goes into more depth than most people do, and that is comendable but I would like to correct or clarify something in which I believe he is mistaken (if I understood correctly). First of all he is right that our faith in and of itself does not justify it but it is attributed to us as righteousness by God on our behalf in light of Jesus' sacrifice, and if faith is from God to begin with then we cannot claim its origin to be sinful as he seems to imply. How we apply it may be sinful and incomplete but God gives us faith continually so that we can persevere and increase in our personal faith, from faith to increasing faith. Secondly to say that we are justified before we are saved is to say nothing of who this applies to, and seems inclusive of all people (which is not true), and even so what relevance does it have it one can indeed fall from faith and from God? Are we to say of the one who fell away that they were never justified in the first place, yet God gave them the Holy Spirit anyway? I say the arguement needs to be reconsidered and refined.

cybershark5886 said:
He goes into more depth than most people do, and that is comendable but I would like to correct or clarify something in which I believe he is mistaken (if I understood correctly). First of all he is right that our faith in and of itself does not justify it but it is attributed to us as righteousness by God on our behalf in light of Jesus' sacrifice, and if faith is from God to begin with then we cannot claim its origin to be sinful as he seems to imply. How we apply it may be sinful and incomplete but God gives us faith continually so that we can persevere and increase in our personal faith, from faith to increasing faith. Secondly to say that we are justified before we are saved is to say nothing of who this applies to, and seems inclusive of all people (which is not true), and even so what relevance does it have it one can indeed fall from faith and from God? Are we to say of the one who fell away that they were never justified in the first place, yet God gave them the Holy Spirit anyway? I say the arguement needs to be reconsidered and refined.

1 Peter 1:2 -- “Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.â€Â

Election is unto obedience.

To quote from Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek, "When Paul writes to the Ephesians that it is 'by grace you have been saved though faith, and this is not of yourselves; it is gift from God' (Eph. 2:8), what does 'it' refer to?"

The footnote gives the answer: "The whole process of salvation, which includes our faith."

The Bible, the Greek itself, tells us that faith is apart of salvation and the Holy Spirit thru Paul lists faith as a gift of the Holy Spirit. The Bible tells us in these two passages that faith is a gift of the Spirit, the burden is on those who believe different, to try and prove otherwise. But this can't be done. I guess it would be false to say that falling away is possible or that those who fall away have the Spirit of God, if faith is given to us by God and is a fruit of the Holy Spirit those who fall away could not have saving faith but the faith of demons who “believe and tremble.†Since Christ died for many [Matt. 26:28; Mark 14:24] and is the lamb slain before the foundations [Rev. 13:8] of the world, not all are seen as justified by God.

That’s all I have to offer for now, maybe RJS will add a little more. He’s better at this topic.

~JM~

1 Peter 1:2 -- “Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.â€Â

Election is unto obedience.

To quote from Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek, "When Paul writes to the Ephesians that it is 'by grace you have been saved though faith, and this is not of yourselves; it is gift from God' (Eph. 2:8), what does 'it' refer to?"

The footnote gives the answer: "The whole process of salvation, which includes our faith."

The Bible, the Greek itself, tells us that faith is apart of salvation and the Holy Spirit thru Paul lists faith as a gift of the Holy Spirit. The Bible tells us in these two passages that faith is a gift of the Spirit, the burden is on those who believe different, to try and prove otherwise. But this can't be done. I guess it would be false to say that falling away is possible or that those who fall away have the Spirit of God, if faith is given to us by God and is a fruit of the Holy Spirit those who fall away could not have saving faith but the faith of demons who “believe and tremble.†Since Christ died for many [Matt. 26:28; Mark 14:24] and is the lamb slain before the foundations [Rev. 13:8] of the world, not all are seen as justified by God.

That’s all I have to offer for now, maybe RJS will add a little more. He’s better at this topic.

I just reached a point in my Discussion about OSAS, Perseverance of the Saints, and Apostacy in the "Giving Up..." thread, and I have finally acknowledged that you can indeed fall away from the faith, and that saying that those who fall away were never really saved in the first place is a little Catch-22-ish. Also the whole time that I was argueing for perseverance of the saints (though perseverance is dead on the only way we get salvation in the end - "he who endures to the end shall be saved") I purposely stayed away from verses like Hebrews 6:4-6 and 1 Timothy 4:1 because I wanted a proper theological context in which to interpret them, but have ultimately found that they speak for themselves in that people can become a believer and fail to use the grace of God (use it in vain as Paul speaks of) and apparently fall away. A commentary that I had been clinging to to back up my security view said that all the admonitions to believers not to fall away, and to test themselves, etc. were not admitting the possibility of that actually being possible but rather that they were just among the means by which God keeps us on the path of salvation so that we don't stray - but logic follows that not everyone heeds such warnings (that's why they are there in the first place). And historically not all of Israel whom God saved out of Egypt believed either, and disregarded his warnings. The election view is that God has elected and called us for salvation but that we don't always follow his pre-planned pattern (though he ultimately knows who will be his). "Many are called, few are chosen." That is why we are told to hold fast our confession to the end (Hebrews 4:14), and if we don't the consequences could be dire. Also we are predestined for good works in Christ Jesus but we can fail to be fruitful and have our works burned (Matthew 13:22; Luke 8:13; 1 Corinthians 3:10-15). That is my current view anyway.

God Bless,

~Josh

Josh, I understand. You then would disregard the passage I posted [with Greek supporting it] which lists faith as being apart of the gifts of God and the fruit of the Spirit? Or do you believe that God gives all men faith and then withdraws it so they backslide and fall away?

I just reached a point in my Discussion about OSAS, Perseverance of the Saints, and Apostacy in the "Giving Up..." thread, and I have finally acknowledged that you can indeed fall away from the faith, and that saying that those who fall away were never really saved in the first place is a little Catch-22-ish.

1Jo 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Would John be describing perseverance of the saints, which is my position, or do you see that as a catch 22? perseverance of the saints is described below.

Also the whole time that I was argueing for perseverance of the saints (though perseverance is dead on the only way we get salvation in the end - "he who endures to the end shall be saved") I purposely stayed away from verses like Hebrews 6:4-6 and 1 Timothy 4:1 because I wanted a proper theological context in which to interpret them, but have ultimately found that they speak for themselves in that people can become a believer and fail to use the grace of God (use it in vain as Paul speaks of) and apparently fall away.

That’s why I believe in perseverance or preservation of the saints and how it’s defined over the standard OSAS doctrine and it’s explanation. Quote, “This doctrine has sometimes wrongly (by both advocate and enemy) been referred to as "once saved always saved." That is a very poor way of looking at it, however. In reality, what the doctrine teaches is that the elect are kept in faith by the Spirit of God. It does not teach that if we quit believing (trusting) Christ that we are still Christians. This doctrine does not teach that all who profess Christ are certain of heaven. Rather, it teaches that all true believers will continue (though there may be periods of doubting, etc) in faith - and because they persevere they are secure. Neither is this doctrine identical with assurance. Many may be true Christians who still lack assurance of God's love and others may have a false assurance who are really not God's children at all.†With this understanding I have no trouble reading 1 Tim. 4 or Hebrews 6 and seeing where 1 John applies.

A commentary that I had been clinging to to back up my security view said that all the admonitions to believers not to fall away, and to test themselves, etc. were not admitting the possibility of that actually being possible but rather that they were just among the means by which God keeps us on the path of salvation so that we don't stray - but logic follows that not everyone heeds such warnings (that's why they are there in the first place).

I agree. Those who do not heed the warnings “were not of us.â€Â

And historically not all of Israel whom God saved out of Egypt believed either, and disregarded his warnings.

Good point. Israel that was brought out of Egypt was ethnic Israel in which only a remnant was saved. Just as the Church today has professors of faith and the faithful, we find a shadow in the OT. If you are interested in learning more about this topic google, “Israel: An Unbelieving Peopleâ€ÂBy Steve Lehrer. It offers details of what I just wrote.

The election view is that God has elected and called us for salvation but that we don't always follow his pre-planned pattern (though he ultimately knows who will be his). "Many are called, few are chosen." That is why we are told to hold fast our confession to the end (Hebrews 4:14), and if we don't the consequences could be dire. Also we are predestined for good works in Christ Jesus but we can fail to be fruitful and have our works burned (Matthew 13:22; Luke 8:13; 1 Corinthians 3:10-15). That is my current view anyway.

God Bless,

~Josh

No comment on the last parahgraph as it seems you are still working these issues out and I really don't want to turn this into a OSAS debate [as that is not what I believe].

Peace,

~JM~

Please note the following.

Mark 11

22 "Have faith in God,"
Jesus answered.
23 "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him.
24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

In the scripture above, Jesus notes that having faith is the practice of saying what you want, and believing that it will happen, or asking God for things, and believing that you will receive them. The above is how someone practically has faith, and it is the one and only thing a person must make sure he does directly, to ensure that he is in good standing with God (Romans 3:28, Ephesians 2:8-9). It is this practice which results in emergent goodness (what the scriptures call the fruits of the Spirit – John 15:2, Matthew 7:15-20, Galatians 5:22-23) and God causing that person to want to do His will, and to also carry out His will (Philippians 2:13). (You can read more on the subject here and here.)

AV1611 posted this on another forum and it was a good read.

"He that believes shall be saved, he that believes not shall be damned." Is not faith here the condition of the covenant?

I answer, There is no person under heaven shall be saved till he have believed. This I grant; yet this will not make faith to be the condition of the covenant. For, first, consider faith as an act, our act, and as we do it, so I say it is a work; our act of believing is a work. If therefore we perform the condition that is a work for the enjoyment of the covenant, then the covenant doth depend upon a work; but it doth not depend upon a work, for the text saith," To him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly," &c.
Having faith is a work, it is just not a work of righteousness. E.g. look at the following scripture.

Matthew 9

27 As Jesus went on from there, two blind men followed him, calling out, "Have mercy on us, Son of David!"
28 When he had gone indoors, the blind men came to him, and he asked them, "Do you believe that I am able to do this?" "Yes, Lord," they replied.
29 Then he touched their eyes and said, "According to your faith will it be done to you";

Didn’t the two blind men in the scripture above ask Christ to be healed, and believed that healing would come if they did? Didn’t Christ identify these actions as having faith? Therefore having faith is in fact a work as given in Mark 11:22-24: it is just not a work of righteousness - as I indicated before.

You will say, In that text, believing is required to the justifying of the ungodly.

I answer, An ungodly person, after be is justified, believes: but you must understand it, it is not the faith of the man that simply and properly justifies, but it is that Christ in whom he believes; believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly: it is he that justifieth, that is Christ. It is not believing that justifies. Mark well that phrase; him that justifieth. Justification is an act of Christ, it is not an act of faith.
The above is just quibbling over semantics. A man becomes justified by God because of the faith he has (Romans 3:28). Further, it is a law that any man who has faith correctly is saved.

The Apocryphon of James

In truth I say to you, the one who will receive life and believe in the Kingdom will never leave it - not even if the Father desires to banish him!

Therefore when Jesus told people that their sins were forgiven when they had faith, it was not that Jesus forgave their sins per se, rather it was that Jesus was proclaiming the law that a man who has faith will automatically has his sins forgiven – and Jesus going along with the law (Matthew 9:4-6).

But you will say, It is an act of Christ by faith.

I answer, Then Christ justifies not alone. Is faith Christ himself? If not, then Christ must have a partner to justify, or else faith doth not justify, but Christ alone doth it. Nay, I say more, Christ justifies a person before he believes; for, he that believes is justified before he believes; for I ask you, whether in justification a man must believe a truth or a falsehood? You will say, he must believe a truth; then say I, it is a truth that he is justified before he believes it; he cannot believe that which is not, and if he be not justified, that he may believe it, he then believes that which is false. But he is first justified before he believes, then he believes that he is justified.
The above illustrates the problem someone has when he doesn’t have his definitions straight. The reason why salvation is a gift, is because no man can obtain it without assistance from God. A man must have faith per Jesus’ instructions in Mark 11:22-24. But this capacity to have faith comes about only through the Spirit (2 Corinthians 4:13-14). Therefore the wicked is able to have faith / believe on account of the Spirit causing him to do so, and it is because of this action that a man becomes justified.

But what then serves faith for?

I answer, It serves for the manifestation of that justification which Christ puts upon a person by himself alone: that you by believing on him, may have the declaration, and manifestation of your justification.

Mark what the apostle saith, whereby you shall find the true use of fairly, that is not the condition, without which we receive no benefit from Christ; but rather it is the manifestation of that which is already done, and received. Heb. xi. 1, the apostle saith, "Faith is the ground of things hoped for, and the evidence of things not seen." I pray you observe the apostle's expression, there is abundance of light in it. Faith is the evidence of things, it is not the being of things; and it is the evidence of things not seen. A man is justified, and that by Christ alone, but it is not known to him, it is an unseen thing. Well, how shall he see this, and know that it is so? The text saith "Faith is an evidence;" faith gives evidence to this thing, faith makes it known; by faith we come to apprehend it; by faith we come to rejoice in it, as we apprehend it to be our own. It is true, indeed, Christ has honoured faith admirably; but let us take heed we do not over-honour it, to give the peculiar reserved prerogative of Christ himself unto it: if faith were a concurrent thing with Christ, and Christ did justify a person alone, what would follow? Consider, when a man is justified, he is justified from all unrighteousness, and if his faith justifies him from all unrighteousness, this thing will unavoidably follow; that that thing which is full of unrighteousness will justify a man from unrighteousness; as much as to say, a man is justified from sin by sin.
The actual practice of having faith is the condition of the receipt of salvation (Ephesians 2:8-9), and it is what leads to the manifestation of all of God’s promises. All of this is evidence of the invisible God. Again, it is the Holy Spirit within a wicked man, causing him to have faith, which begets righteousness – not the man himself.

But you will say, Faith is not sin.

I answer, No, faith itself is not sin: but that faith acted by believers is full of sin; and the fulness of sin in it, makes faith in some sense, a sinful faith: and if it be sinful, how can that which is sinful justify man from sinfulness? What need Christ be without all sin to justify a person, if any thing else could do it that hath sinfulness in it? You must either say, there is no sin in your faith, or else you must say, you are justified by that which hath sin in it; yet, I say still, as faith is an evidence, a manifestation, so it may be said to he our justification: that we are, in regard of our own hearts, and our own spirits, justified by faith; but God-ward, as we stand actually before him, a discharged people from sin, and so consequently partakers of the covenant; as we stand thus, I say, it is not faith that justifies, neither wholly, nor in part; but Christ alone freely for his own sake, considering a person as ungodly, so he justifies him.
As I said before, faith done correctly is produced by the Holy Spirit, and it therefore cannot be sinful.

Beloved, let me tell you, though faith itself cannot thus be called our righteousness; yet in respect of the glory that God ascribes to it, that it seals to men's souls the fulness of righteousness, how can you consider a person a believer, and withal ungodly? When men are believers, they cease to be ungodly: but if they are not justified till they believe, Christ doth not justify the ungodly, but the godly; and then that truth which I have delivered, Rom. iv. 5, cannot hold current, "That we must believe on him that justifies the ungodly;" but rather, we must believe on him that justifies the righteous. But, as I said, we do not believe that we may be justified; but we do believe, and truly believe, when we are, and because we are justified. So that still it stands firm, we are not justified, we are not in covenant, we partake not of the covenant, by any condition we perform, till which performance the covenant cannot be made good unto us; but we are in covenant, and Christ makes us to be in covenant, for his own sake, without any condition in the creature, "Shewing mercy to whom he will shew mercy;" without any thing, I say, the creature is to do, to this end, to partake of the covenant.

http://grace-for-today.com/1417.htm
See my explanations above.

Pls note P, those were the words of another, it's a quote. Where does faith come from P?

~JM~

JM said:
Pls note P, those were the words of another, it's a quote. Where does faith come from P?

~JM~
I checked out the link you gave; and also the words of the quotations themselves sound pretty old. I therefore didn’t believe the words you quoted were your own. Faith is specific behavior that is produced by the Holy Spirit (2 Corinthians 4:13-14), with the consent of the individual. No man can produce faith on his own, because every man is ruled by the flesh, which will not allow him to have faith (Romans 3:9-12). (A man is ruled by the flesh, up until the point he allows the Holy Spirit to cause him to have faith.)

Re: reply

golfjack said:
Maybe, JM should explain his position in language that we can understand.

I am sure JM will not complain if I jump in here being the AV1611 in question.

Tobias Crisp was a minister in the 1600s, his brother was a friend of King Charles I who was executed by Oliver Cromwell.

2Ti 1:9 "Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,"

What Crisp was arguing, and I agree with him, is that faith is not a condition of salvation. Salvation being a gift (Eph 2:8) includes faith and so faith is a fruit of electing grace and is a grace "which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began". This being so, it is wrong to say that faith causes our salvation or is a condition of it.

cybershark5886 said:
First of all he is right that our faith in and of itself does not justify it but it is attributed to us as righteousness by God on our behalf in light of Jesus' sacrifice, and if faith is from God to begin with then we cannot claim its origin to be sinful as he seems to imply.

That is incorrect as he explains here: http://sovereign-grace.com/933.htm Faith is not accounted as our righteousness but is rather the instrument through which we receive the righteousness of Christ which is what justifies us.

cybershark5886 said:
Secondly to say that we are justified before we are saved is to say nothing of who this applies to, and seems inclusive of all people (which is not true),

He is speaking of the elect only.

ABRAHAM KUYPER, THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, 1900, Page 368

justification is effected outside of us, irrespective of what we are, dependent only upon the decision of God, our judge and Sover. eign; in such a way that justification precedes sanctification, the latter proceeding from the former as a necessary result. God does not justify us because we are becoming more holy, but when He has justified us we grow in holiness: "Being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him."

There should never be the least doubt regarding this matter. Every effort to reverse this established order of Scripture must earnestly be resisted. This glorious confession, declared with so much power to the souls of men in the days of the Reformation, must continue the precious jewel, to be transmitted intact by us to our posterity as a sacred inheritance. So long as we ourselves have not yet entered the New Jerusalem, our comfort should never be founded upon our sanctification, but exclusively upon our justification. though our sanctification were ever so far advanced, so long as we are not justified we remain in our sin and are lost. And if a justified sinner die immediately after his justification is sealed to his soul, he may shout with joy, for, in spite of hell and of Satan, he is sure of his salvation.

The deep significance of this confession is faintly discernible in our earthly relations. In order to do business on the floor of the exchange, a trader must be an honorable citizen. If convicted of crime, justly or unjustly, he will be expelled from exchange, though he be ten times more honest than others whose fraudulent transactions have never been discovered. And how will this dishonored man be restored to his former position? On the ground of future honest business transactions? That is out of the question; for as long as he is counted dishonorable, he is not allowed to do business on the floor. Hence he can not prove his honesty by any dealings on exchange or in the market. So in order to start again, he must first be declared an honorable man. Then, and not before, can he set up in business once more.

Call this doing of business sanctification, and this declaration of being a man of honor justification, and the matter will be illustrated. For as this merchant, being declared dishonorable, can not do business so long as he continues in that state, and must be declared honorable before he can begin anew, so a sinner can not do any good work so long as he is counted lost. And so he must first

If I read the thread right the issue being discussed is faith and salvation?

First – whose faith is it? Man’s faith or Christ’s? What saith the scriptures?

The faith that justifies is Christ’s not man’s…
Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ,

This faith that justifies comes a free gift…
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:This faith came only after Christ came – was not available in OT…
Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster

Not only does justification come from Christ but righteousness is from Christ also..
Phil 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
Rom 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Not only is the saint justified by the faith of Christ but he lives by Christ’s faith also…
Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God,

So folks (those who believe you can fall away) – what does your faith have to with anything when it comes to justification? Worried about your “faith†failing†It is not your faith that sustains anyway.

Gang – there is a faith which justifies – Christ’s – this is settled.
Then there is a practical faith that comes as a result of Christ’s justifying faith – this is the faith that, unfortunately, most spend their time on. They try to make their practical faith the faith that justifies - won't work.

Now please, give this next statement a matter of prayer and study.

Your practical faith does not, cannot, and will not affect the faith of Christ that justifies. Get the faith of Christ settled first.

Final note – the new versions chge the “of†to “in†– thus shifting Christ’s faith to man’s – false doctrine – damnable doctrine.

God bless

ABRAHAM KUYPER, THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, 1900, Page 368

justification is effected outside of us, irrespective of what we are, dependent only upon the decision of God, our judge and Sover. eign; in such a way that justification precedes sanctification, the latter proceeding from the former as a necessary result. God does not justify us because we are becoming more holy, but when He has justified us we grow in holiness: "Being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him."

There should never be the least doubt regarding this matter. Every effort to reverse this established order of Scripture must earnestly be resisted. This glorious confession, declared with so much power to the souls of men in the days of the Reformation, must continue the precious jewel, to be transmitted intact by us to our posterity as a sacred inheritance. So long as we ourselves have not yet entered the New Jerusalem, our comfort should never be founded upon our sanctification, but exclusively upon our justification. though our sanctification were ever so far advanced, so long as we are not justified we remain in our sin and are lost. And if a justified sinner die immediately after his justification is sealed to his soul, he may shout with joy, for, in spite of hell and of Satan, he is sure of his salvation.

The deep significance of this confession is faintly discernible in our earthly relations. In order to do business on the floor of the exchange, a trader must be an honorable citizen. If convicted of crime, justly or unjustly, he will be expelled from exchange, though he be ten times more honest than others whose fraudulent transactions have never been discovered. And how will this dishonored man be restored to his former position? On the ground of future honest business transactions? That is out of the question; for as long as he is counted dishonorable, he is not allowed to do business on the floor. Hence he can not prove his honesty by any dealings on exchange or in the market. So in order to start again, he must first be declared an honorable man. Then, and not before, can he set up in business once more.

Call this doing of business sanctification, and this declaration of being a man of honor justification, and the matter will be illustrated. For as this merchant, being declared dishonorable, can not do business so long as he continues in that state, and must be declared honorable before he can begin anew, so a sinner can not do any good work so long as he is counted lost. And so he must first
Everything is produced from having faith. Having faith therefore produces justification, santification, righteous works, intelligence, etc.

PDoug said:
Everything is produced from having faith. Having faith therefore produces justification, santification, righteous works, intelligence, etc.
PDoug - Are you saying your faith produces "justification, santification, righteous works, intelligence, etc."?

Iif so how do you reconcile your statement in light of...
Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ,

God bless

AV, I remember you posting something similar to that before, thanks for reposting it. I'm going to save it this time for future reference.

~JM~

Back