Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is faith a condition?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Paul was talking about speaking in faith in order to be saved. You know, confess with your mouth. If we need to be saved by grace and the confession of our mouths, then how do you think we receive the many blessings of the Bible? One just doesn't sit down and expect things to happen, we must respond by our confessions of faith, by believiing and spreaking the Word for it to come into manifestation. The Word must be placed in your heart, and eventually it will come to pass in physical manifestation.

May God bless, Golfjack

Folks you got to decide what saves:
1. Your faith
2. Your repentance
3. Your confession or...
4. Christ

Which is it?

God bless

golfjack said:
Paul was talking about speaking in faith in order to be saved. You know, confess with your mouth. If we need to be saved by grace and the confession of our mouths, then how do you think we receive the many blessings of the Bible? One just doesn't sit down and expect things to happen, we must respond by our confessions of faith, by believiing and spreaking the Word for it to come into manifestation. The Word must be placed in your heart, and eventually it will come to pass in physical manifestation.

May God bless, Golfjack
A man must have faith correctly, and everything follows from that. Having faith correctly results in us confessing Christ, and doing what God wants us to do. Having faith incorrectly doesn't, and instead inclines people to perform works of righteousness - which we are not supposed to do (Galatians 5:4).

AVBunyan said:
1. Your faith
2. Your repentance
3. Your confession or...
4. Christ

Which is it?

God bless
All of the above. Christ saves a man. But a man can only take advantage of salvation through faith.

If repentance is considered remorse for past sins, a man cannot truly be remorseful unless he expresses it through the Holy Spirit, because no righteousness exists within a man, save that produced by the Holy Spirit. But the Holy Spirit only dwells within a man when he has faith, therefore a man can only truly be repentant by having faith.

A man who has faith will confess Christ via the Holy Spirit – which is the only source of righteousness within a man.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Faith, repentance and confession may bring us to Him, but it won't let us through Him, over Him, around Him or under Him.

John Gill wrote: 1. Faith is not the cause, but an effect of justification; it is not the cause of it in any sense; it is not the moving cause, that is the free grace of God; "Being justified freely by his grace", #Ro 3:24 nor the efficient cause of it; "It is God that justifies", #Ro 8:33 nor the meritorious cause, as some express it; or the matter of it, that is the obedience and blood of Christ, #Ro 5:9,19 or the righteousness of Christ, consisting of his active and passive obedience; nor even the instrumental cause; for, as Mr. Baxter {5} himself argues, "If faith is the instrument of our justification, it is the instrument either of God or man; not of man, for justification is God's act; he is the sole Justifier, #Ro 3:26 man doth not justify himself: nor of God, for it is not God that believes": nor is it a "causa sine qua non", as the case of elect infants shows; it is not in any class of causes whatever; but it is the effect of justification: all men have not faith, and the reason why some do not believe is, because they are none of Christ's sheep; they were not chosen in him, nor justified through him; but justly left in their sins, and so to condemnation; the reason why others believe is, because they are ordained to eternal life, have a justifying righteousness provided for them, and are justified by it, and shall never enter into condemnation: the reason why any are justified, is not because they have faith; but the reason why they have faith, is because they are justified; was there no such blessing of grace as justification of life in Christ, for the sons of men, there would be no such thing as faith in Christ bestowed on them; precious faith is obtained through the righteousness of our God and Saviour Jesus Christ, #2Pe 1:1 nor, indeed, would there be any room for it, nor any use of it, if a justifying righteousness was not previously provided. Agreeable to this are the reasonings and assertions of Twisse {6}, Maccovius {7}, and others. Now if faith is not the cause, but the effect of justification; then as every cause is before its effect, and every effect follows its cause, justification must be before faith, and faith must follow justification.

2. Faith is the evidence and manifestation of justification, and therefore justification must be before it; "Faith is the evidence of things not seen", #Heb 11:1 but it is not the evidence of that which as yet is not; what it is an evidence of, must be, and it must exist before it. The "righteousness of God", of the God-man and mediator Jesus Christ, "is revealed from faith to faith", in the everlasting gospel, #Ro 1:17 and therefore must be before it is revealed, and before faith, to which it is revealed: faith is that grace whereby a soul, having seen its guilt, and its want of righteousness, beholds, in the light of the divine Spirit, a complete righteousness in Christ, renounces its own, lays hold off that, puts it on as a garment, rejoices in it, and glories of it; the Spirit of God witnessing to his spirit, that he is a justified person; and so he is evidently and declaratively "justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God", #1Co 6:11.

3. Faith adds nothing to the "esse" only to the "bene esse" of justification; it is no part of, nor any ingredient in it; it is a complete act in the eternal mind of God, without the being or consideration of faith, or any foresight of it; a man is as much justified before as after it, in the account of God; and after he does believe, his justification does not depend on his acts of faith; for though "we believe not, yet he abides faithful"; that is, God is faithful to his covenant engagements with his Son, as their Surety, by whose suretyship-righteousness they are justified; but by faith men have a comfortable sense, perception and apprehension of their justification, and enjoy that peace of soul which results from it; it is by that only, under the testimony of the divine Spirit, that they know their interest in it, and can claim it, and so have the comfort of it.

Give me a break. If no 4 is the only requirement for salvation, then I guess everybody is saved. Calvin, and Gill are wrong period.

May God bless, Golfjack

Re: reply

golfjack said:
Give me a break. If no 4 is the only requirement for salvation, then I guess everybody is saved. Calvin, and Gill are wrong period.

May God bless, Golfjack
Exactly!

Is it possible to get to Christ without faith, without repentance or without confession?

Re: reply

golfjack said:

May God bless, Golfjack
You both midunderstood AV's question.

He is not asking for any requirements; that word wasn't even in his post. You are projecting it there. He is asking what, or properly rather, who does the saving. How we get to a knowledge of salvation, in itself, does not save anyone.

Silly question and one that neither the Bible nor the Lord nor the disciples ever bothered to ask. It makes as much sense as asking what saves a starving man, is it the bread given him by a benefactor, the act of eating the bread, the man who gave him the bread or the mouth that chews the bread or the stomach that digests the bread? Maybe I'm just tired but you’re killing me here.

:smt042 :smt043 :smt044

unred typo said:
Silly question and one that neither the Bible nor the Lord nor the disciples ever bothered to ask ...
Speaking of silly... Why would the Bible ask who saves? Actually, how could the Bible ask such a question? It's a book. Why would the Lord ask who saves? He knows; He's the Savior! How do you know the Apostles never asked, because it wasn't recorded?

John 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

Besides, the Apostles warked and talked with Jesus. They even acknowledged His as their Savior.

Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Matthew 18:11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.

Luke 9:56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.

Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

John 12:47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

They even taught He was the One who saves:

Acts 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Still not convinced?

PDoug said:
Having faith correctly results in us confessing Christ, and doing what God wants us to do. Having faith incorrectly doesn't, and instead inclines people to perform works of righteousness - which we are not supposed to do (Galatians 5:4).

I agree with the first part of your statement but I think you need to read the rest of the story in Galatians 5:
1Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
2Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if you be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
3For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
4Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; you are fallen from grace.
5For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
6For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision avails any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which works by love.

The law that Paul is talking about is the law of the temple rituals and requirements for the Jews given to them by the Pharisees who were speaking in place of God. They made a yoke to place on the necks of the Israelites that was impossible to bear. You had to be a lawyer to keep everything straight that they required to approach God.

Jesus taught love for one another and forgiveness and humility and other things, from the heart, not just a external show in the flesh. Circumcision was to be of the heart, not the physical body. Washing hands, unmixed fabrics for garments, unclean foods, and all the rules were not what saved, but true repentance and obedience from the heart. Grace is God forgiving us because the blood of Christ covers our sin when we repent of it. The blood is the gift of God which cannot be bought or added to. The way to be saved is the way that Jesus taught. The early believers were called people of ‘the way.’ This way of grace includes works of righteousness and love for one another and holiness, without which, no man shall see the Lord.

Vic said:
Still not convinced?

Of what, Vic? That Jesus is the savior? Was that AV’s question? That question we all could answer, no problem. Splitting the hairs between faith in Christ, repentance of sin, confession of sin and Christ himself is the kicker. Of what use is one without the others to the believer? Can you believe in Christ and not believe what he says? Is he your savior if he isn’t your Lord? Do you have faith if you don’t believe enough to follow what he says? Can you confess your sins if you don’t repent of them? Can you repent of them while still wanting to continue in them? Are you saved from your sin if you never give up sinning?

No one is trying to split hairs. Your faith, your repentance and your confession, in and of themselves, cannot save you. That was the brunt of AV's question. Only one answer is correct.

Vic said:
No one is trying to split hairs. Your faith, your repentance and your confession, in and of themselves, cannot save you. That was the brunt of AV's question. Only one answer is correct.

As a avid hair splitter, I recognize hairsplitting when I see it. :wink:

Christ will not and does not save you without faith, confession, and repentance. To try to split them does not make sense. That’s like trying to say you can have sentences without words. Or a square without equal sides.

Which Jesus saved, whom did He saved and from what did He...

I Salute You "AV"

AVBunyan said:
1. Your faith
2. Your repentance
3. Your confession or...
4. Christ

Which is it?

God bless

I go with four [4] But...

Which Jesus saved, whom did He saved and from what did He saved?

By any means what I ask is to question anybody's savvy on the subject. I believe we need to help each other by Growing in Grace and "pull up" our brothers as we do so.

Christ saves. Faith is given by God for repentance and for confession that Jesus Christ is the Savior.

The Spirit quickens one to believe since one who is dead in their sin cannot raise themselves to see and hear the truth. Without God drawing one to Himself through the blood of Jesus Christ by the quickening of the Holy Spirit, one will not nor cannot be saved.

How many times can one climb the tower of babel to reach heaven? A work of man will never gain him access into the kingdom of God.

Back