Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is God...sexist?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Perhaps it ultimately comes from extant Jewish commentary. The point of the text is for the girl's well-being, to make sure that if someone violates her, she is going to be looked after.
I like Jewish commentaries. Because they were under that law, they had to navigate it. It can be very complex to live out because again, it taught discernment.

Marriage is a family affair, and each member of the family had their place. Ultimately, the Father was responsible of ensuring his daughter was well cared for once she left the home.

A virgin who “cried out” was raped against her will and the perpetrator was killed for such an abomination.

However, a virgin who did not “cry out” consented. By doing so, she invalidated the checks and balances which insured here purity which she could find herself in a position of being accused of adultery if she married another man (or the same man) and it was found she was not a virgin as attested by the “cloth” that was to be placed under her to collect the blood caused by intercourse which was then given to the Father for safe keeping as a witness to the consummation of the marriage.

A man who violated this norm and had premarital sex was frowned upon. He “raped” her because he did not have her Fathers consent.

There are many other situations, but this one lines up with this section.

However, I don't think Judaism looked forward to Christianity; Christians imposed their views upon the Tanakh.
Judaism looked forward to a Messiah or savior or liberator that would reign, taking the place of David and bringing the Jewish people back to their former glory. This is evident throughout the gospels as Jesus' disciples failed to understand what Jesus' true purpose on earth was. They were actually disappointed when He was arrested and died on that cross. Hence their abandonment and unbelief when He was arrested, tortured, died, and risen. It wasn't until after He arose and opened their hearts to the Scriptures that they truly began to understand what the Messiah really was.

stovebolts
The Torah does not forbid circumcision on the Sabbath. Also why would Passover fall on the Sabbath?

Tanakh is clear on that situation with the priest: "What does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God" (Micah 6:8). The priest should have ritually cleansed himself once he was able.

As for the showbread, the Deuteronomist (who, as esteemed scholar Richard Freidman argues, wrote Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Samuel, and Kings) presents David as a new lawgiver, as seen in the references to the "law of David." Since he gives new laws on ritual worship and the temple, he is qualified to take the showbread and give it to his men. Whether this is consistent with the view presented by the authors of Exodus, Leviticus, and Numbers - that's a more complex question.
Ok, I tire of this. You are partially right and partially wrong. I hope you are willing to learn something.

Verse 25 states that the man who rapes a woman must be put to death, the woman is innocent.
Why is she innocent? Because she cried out. Please see verse 27.

Verse 28 and 29 address the woman who did not cry out.
Why would a woman not cry out? And what does it mean, “cried out”? See Genesis 4:10.
the Kathubah dowry is 50 shekels.

Moral of the story.. if your a virgin and your not married and you have sex, your as good as married. The man who has sex with her has violated her and the family. See Deuteronomy 22:13-18
In Genesis 4:10, Abel is the victim. So also in Deut. 22:28-29. v. 28-29 do not address whether she did or did not cry out, unlike v. 24, where she is specifically said to not cry out. So why is there no specification in v. 28-29? Likely because it is irrelevant. The "punishment" would have been the same either way. That last point: I agree that that is what is taught, and it also includes that if you are an unmarried virgin who is raped, you are as good as married. Good thing we don't have that today.
I know what you stated earlier and my point is that you're wrong--it is not rape. Just because the idea of rape is in an earlier verse doesn't mean that every verse that follows is rape. The whole point of the passage is to give guidance for justice for different violations.
That is not my only argument for why every verse that follows is rape. In fact, the general section in Deuteronomy addresses also consensual adultery, and a woman who does not cry out (v. 24), indicating consent as well, at least consent to some extent.
You need to learn to actually study, rather than simply read. There are two different words being used in verses 25 and 28. In verse 25, "force" is chazaq, and means "to be strong, to prevail, to take strong hold." In verse 28, "seize" is taphas, and means "to lay hold of, to hold." Copan is correct when he states that the verb in verse 28 is weaker than that in verse 25, where it is clearly rape. This also begs the question as to why two different verbs are used if the intent in meaning was the same. This supports Copan's assertion. Further to his point, is that verse 28 mentions that "they are found," not "he was found." That means both are guilty, not just him. This, again, suggests that although there is pressure from the man, there is some willingness (or eventual giving in) on the part of the girl, and so is akin to seduction and statutory rape.
"They are found" does not occur in Exodus 22:16-17. Exodus 22:16-17 does not use either word meaning to lay hold of, which weakens Copan's argument. My earlier post should have demonstrated study and not just reading; you can claim, maybe rightly, that the study was inadequate, but I still did study. So if you want me to conduct a word study on taphas:
  • Genesis 39:12 in which Potiphar's wife attempts to compel Joseph to have sex with her
  • Deut. 21:19 has forcing a rebellious child to be executed, using the word taphas
  • Deut. 20:19 uses the word to refer to making war against a city, obviously a violent action. See also Joshua 8:8.
  • Joshua 8:23 uses the word for forcible execution of a king. Used frequently to refer to forcible capture of opponents, e.g., 1 Kings 18:40 and many other places.
As we can see it is perfectly reasonable to use the word to refer to violent forcing, even in a sexual context, and the usage of the term "violated" which is not in Exodus 22:16-17, all suggest that the case described is indeed rape. On the other hand, it is not specified if she cried out or not, which might indicate that the case would apply regardless of it was rape or not. In other words, it would still apply in the case of rape. We do not have laws like this today.
I have shown that they are essentially the same.
Hopefully I have just shown that the word does not refer to any loving seduction. The word, though, may be intentionally moderate, in order to accurately capture both the case of rape and consent (in Deut. 22:28, the word is stronger than in Exodus 22 yet milder than Deut. 22:24); yet the law would still demand that the woman marry her rapist, as I've been arguing all along.
Copan cites another source for the idea that the girl has some say in the matter. Perhaps it ultimately comes from extant Jewish commentary. The point of the text is for the girl's well-being, to make sure that if someone violates her, she is going to be looked after.
So he cites an extra-biblical source to defend his argument, without even explaining the source, nor defending the idea that the source is even accurate? Many people have added many things to the Bible to make it more palatable; merely citing another source in order to argue this, as Copan does, is inadequate.

And would we really want her to be looked after by a rapist? Does this seem like a wise law to have today? And why is it that we need these apologetic commentaries to reveal to us that that is the reason, and why does the text not actually say that explicitly?
A virgin who “cried out” was raped against her will and the perpetrator was killed for such an abomination.
The death penalty, as we can see consistently throughout the Torah, was:
  • Administered in the case of consensual adultery
  • Administered in the case of nonconsensual adultery (i.e., rape with the victim married or engaged), but only to the rapist.
  • Not administered in the case of rape that is non-adulterous.
As we can see, the death penalty is administered for adultery, and not rape; only administered for rape when there is also adultery. Therefore the "abomination" is adultery, not rape. Now, if you want to argue that rape deserves execution, then that's great (I don't believe in the death penalty except potentially for murder, maybe), but the Torah does not argue this. To be quite clear, I believe that rape is indeed abominable. Yet the Torah authors do not; they view adultery as abominable. And I'm not the one who holds to the Bible.
Judaism looked forward to a Messiah or savior or liberator that would reign, taking the place of David and bringing the Jewish people back to their former glory. This is evident throughout the gospels as Jesus' disciples failed to understand what Jesus' true purpose on earth was. They were actually disappointed when He was arrested and died on that cross. Hence their abandonment and unbelief when He was arrested, tortured, died, and risen. It wasn't until after He arose and opened their hearts to the Scriptures that they truly began to understand what the Messiah really was.
None of the gospels were written by Jesus' apostles, and in fact, at least one of them (Mark) appears to be very critical of the apostles, speaking of their hardened hearts. By the time the gospels were written (right after A.D. 70 at the earliest for Mark, as recognized by most scholars), Christianity would have been cemented, and the gospel writers wanted to portray a radical spiritual change as an apologetic strategy. (Which, apparently, they succeeded at, since you're arguing this now.)

None of the gospels were written by Jesus' apostles,
I believe the gospel of John was written by the apostle John who also wrote the three epistles of John and Revelation. But, I don't know what that has to do with what I wrote that you quoted.

I also believe that scholars generally agree that the gospel of Mark was written sometime around 66-70 AD, Matthew and Luke around AD 85–90, and John AD 90–110.

We do not know how old John was when he was first called by Jesus but I have always understood him to be likely younger than Jesus. Here's a link to some information that seems to give a very reasonable explanation.

Last edited:
I believe the gospel of John was written by the apostle John who also wrote the three epistles of John and Revelation. But, I don't know what that has to do with what I wrote that you quoted.
You said,
This is evident throughout the gospels as Jesus' disciples failed to understand what Jesus' true purpose on earth was.
But this is not what the apostles claimed of themselves; rather, it is what later gospel authors claimed about them.

EDIT: Also I am assuming that in your post, by "Jesus' disciples" you mean the twelve apostles, right?

You said,

But this is not what the apostles claimed of themselves; rather, it is what later gospel authors claimed about them.

EDIT: Also I am assuming that in your post, by "Jesus' disciples" you mean the twelve apostles, right?
It might take me a while to find what I'm looking for. Please have patience.

Last edited:
That's fine, I just saw you edited your post. Let me see...

Alright. So, the average lifespan of that time: if you survived childhood, you had a 50% chance of making it to age 48. The probability of surviving to 60 or 80 are much lower than 50%. So most likely, anyone an adult at A.D. 30 or 33 would probably have been dead at A.D. 66, the earliest date you give. Most adults who were adults at A.D. 30 or 33 would have been dead at 66, anyways.

Mark appears to prophecy the destruction that occurred in A.D. 70, so if that is correct, it would have to have been written after that date. Most scholars recognize this and argue for a date immediately after. However, the difference of the dates is small and fairly irrelevant to this conversation anyways, so I won't get picky over it.

So Dr. Richard Carrier (who holds a B.A. in History, an M.A. in Ancient History, a M.Phil. in Ancient History, and a Ph.D. in Ancient History and is alma mater at UC Berkeley and Columbia University) wrote a lengthy article on the specific authorship of John https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/18401 Granted, I do not approve of much of the way in which Carrier writes; he can come off as arrogant and snobbish at times. Nevertheless, his logic is quite good, and his sources and research are absolutely impeccable (I would recommend buying his books if for nothing but the Works Cited page).

The 12 who would become apostles were Jews and I don't think it is going too far out on a limb to think their understanding would be much different from the rest of the Jewish population of the day, which was that the Messiah would be the one to restore the Davidic kingdom to Israel. But, having the advantage of 20/20 hindsight, we now know that this is not what the Messiah's purpose was.

In Matthew where it is recorded King Herod ordering the deaths of all children under the age of two "according to the time which he had determined from the wise men." (Matthew 2:16 NKJV) He did this because he saw Jesus as a rival future king and wanted to kill him.

The gospels of Matthew, Mark, and John all record about His triumphal entry into Jerusalem where....
9 Then those who went before and those who followed cried out, saying:
“Hosanna!
‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’
10 Blessed is the kingdom of our father David
That comes in the name of the Lord!
Hosanna in the highest!”

Identifying Jesus as the son of David points to their perceived purpose of the Messiah as being an earthly king to restore Israel and rid them of the oppressive Romans.

In John's gospel we read about how after feeding over 5,000 His disciples, which were many including the 12 that would become apostles, wanted to make Him king.

14 Then those men, when they had seen the sign that Jesus did, said, “This is truly the Prophet who is to come into the world.”
15 Therefore when Jesus perceived that they were about to come and take Him by force to make Him king, He departed again to the mountain by Himself alone.

John 6:14-15 NKJV

In Acts, chapter 1, His disciples (the 12) asked him about when He would restore the kingdom to Israel.

4 And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, “which,” He said, “you have heard from Me;
5 for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”

6 Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, “
Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?”
Acts 1:4-6 NKJV

When Jesus was arrested, all of His disciples abandoned Him. They were expecting Him to lead a revolt but He didn't and this was extremely disappointing for them. Even after He had risen and they heard the news they still did not believe. But then, in Luke's gospel we read about Him opening their understanding...

44 Then He said to them, “These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me.”
45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.
46 Then He said to them, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day,

47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
48 And you are witnesses of these things.

49 Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high.”
Luke 24:44-49 NKJV

Alright. So, the average lifespan of that time: if you survived childhood, you had a 50% chance of making it to age 48. The probability of surviving to 60 or 80 are much lower than 50%. So most likely, anyone an adult at A.D. 30 or 33 would probably have been dead at A.D. 66, the earliest date you give. Most adults who were adults at A.D. 30 or 33 would have been dead at 66, anyways.
But it would not be impossible. Our average life span in the US today is 79 for males but there are many that live much longer. Remember, in the gospel of John we read hints that John could possibly live a long life.

18 "Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish.”
19 This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, “Follow Me.”
20 Then Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following, who also had leaned on His breast at the supper, and said, “Lord, who is the one who betrays You?”
21 Peter, seeing him, said to Jesus, “But Lord, what about this man?”
22 Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.”
23 Then this saying went out among the brethren that this disciple would not die. Yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?”

John 21:20-23 NKJV

We've really strayed off the topic here.
Luke 2:36 kjv
36. And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity;
37. And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.

Well here is a female. Does that get us back on topic? LOL

eddif

The Torah does not forbid circumcision on the Sabbath. Also why would Passover fall on the Sabbath?
The sabbath forbids work. This was a serious question for the Sanhedrin just prior to Jesus being born.
As far as Passover, it’s the 14th of Nissan. It can fall on any day of the week depending on the year. Again, this was a serious question. A man named Hillel was able to answer these questions when King Harod had the Sanhedrin killed if they refused to be yes men and their replacements struggled with the basics. That your not even aware of this shows your lack of understanding in which you speak. Honestly, I’m not that far behind you and put me in front of an Orthodox Jew and I’m a fool.

Tanak is clear on that situation with the priest: "What does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God" (Micah 6:8). The priest should have ritually cleansed himself once he was able.
Tanak is founded on Torah. Torah teaches the sanctity of life and how rituals are always secondary to helping those in need. Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of Leviticus 23 understands this.
s for the showbread, the Deuteronomist (who, as esteemed scholar Richard Freidman argues, wrote Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Samuel, and Kings) presents David as a new lawgiver, as seen in the references to the "law of David." Since he gives new laws on ritual worship and the temple, he is qualified to take the showbread and give it to his men. Whether this is consistent with the view presented by the authors of Exodus, Leviticus, and Numbers - that's a more complex question
Moses is credited with writing Torah. What your author says about the matter is completely unfounded. Nowhere in Orthodox Judaism would you find anything remotely similar to that.

David brought musical instruments into worship, and God affirmed this. But David made no new laws nor changed any laws in Torah.

Again, Leviticus 23 is where you’ll find the correct understanding, not from your so called scholar.

In Genesis 4:10, Abel is the victim. So also in Deut. 22:28-29. v. 28-29 do not address whether she did or did not cry out, unlike v. 24, where she is specifically said to not cry out. So why is there no specification in v. 28-29? Likely because it is irrelevant.
Everything is relevant. I’ve already explained these verses, yet you choose to disregard what’s been taught. I’ll not be foolish and continue on this topic if your unwilling to accept basic Jewish teachings on the Law over modern day scholars who pick over words with no understanding of that which they pick through.

we can see, the death penalty is administered for adultery, and not rape;
That’s not true. Go back the passages you cited…. It’s right there in black and white.

stovebolts Then cite for me one law where a man raped a woman, yet no adultery involved, but the man is executed. As for the Passover, the law specifies that nothing can be cooked on the Sabbath, so I would think that they would have prepared the Passover meal the day before. Alternatively, perhaps it is an exception; for example, the priests did have to offer a certain sacrifice on the Sabbath.

AND - he can never divorce her. Deut 22.29.

Interesting Talmud story - that when God appeared atop Mt Sinai to give the 10 commandments, (which the entire literature structure is a ketubah - marriage contract) God held the mountain OVER the entire people, thus forcing them to agree and precluding God ever divorcing them.

You may say that HE divorced the Northern Kingdom, that is true; But HE never did the southern Kingdom. (Judah)
Yes, He did divorce Israel and not Judah, that is True. But for those who are unfamiliar with this, He is going to have Israel back again and have mercy on them. Also, it should be noted that while He did divorce the house of Israel, He did not remove their unconditional blessings from them (and He still declares them (Ephraim) as His firstborn).

The sabbath forbids work. This was a serious question for the Sanhedrin just prior to Jesus being born.
As far as Passover, it’s the 14th of Nissan. It can fall on any day of the week depending on the year. Again, this was a serious question. A man named Hillel was able to answer these questions when King Harod had the Sanhedrin killed if they refused to be yes men and their replacements struggled with the basics. That your not even aware of this shows your lack of understanding in which you speak. Honestly, I’m not that far behind you and put me in front of an Orthodox Jew and I’m a fool.

Tanak is founded on Torah. Torah teaches the sanctity of life and how rituals are always secondary to helping those in need. Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of Leviticus 23 understands this.

Moses is credited with writing Torah. What your author says about the matter is completely unfounded. Nowhere in Orthodox Judaism would you find anything remotely similar to that.

David brought musical instruments into worship, and God affirmed this. But David made no new laws nor changed any laws in Torah.

Again, Leviticus 23 is where you’ll find the correct understanding, not from your so called scholar.

Everything is relevant. I’ve already explained these verses, yet you choose to disregard what’s been taught. I’ll not be foolish and continue on this topic if your unwilling to accept basic Jewish teachings on the Law over modern day scholars who pick over words with no understanding of that which they pick through.

That’s not true. Go back the passages you cited…. It’s right there in black and white.

T. E. Smith
I think (to you) what you think; allows a veil to fall over your understanding.

Am I a Hebrew scholar? No. A great debater? No. The thing being taught is not the thing that is trying to be conveyed. There are levels of understanding. I can read about an oxen and understand it is about people and especially Jewish people that believe in Messiah. / Jesus. The law was a temporary schoolmaster.

Those temporary things hide much information.
stovebolts is trying to help open your mind.

PaRDeS exists on a level. Is it preached / taught by everyone? No.
stovebolts may not use it.
It is very much similar to the parable of the sower.
Go to Wikipedia and look up Pardes / PaRDeS. Do not debate PaRDeS, but try and understand the concept.

eddif

Last edited:
stovebolts Then cite for me one law where a man raped a woman, yet no adultery involved, but the man is executed. As for the Passover, the law specifies that nothing can be cooked on the Sabbath, so I would think that they would have prepared the Passover meal the day before. Alternatively, perhaps it is an exception; for example, the priests did have to offer a certain sacrifice on the Sabbath.

You remind me of Everett in, Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

I watched that again the other day and I'm listening to Everett and I'm thinking, I know this guy! Lol. That's actually such a good movie. It's all about Everett and he don't believe in God, but becomes a believer at the end.

And you talk just like him!

You remind me of Everett in, Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

I watched that again the other day and I'm listening to Everett and I'm thinking, I know this guy! Lol. That's actually such a good movie. It's all about Everett and he don't believe in God, but becomes a believer at the end.

And you talk just like him!
Hebrews 4:10 kjv
10. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Thanks Edward

This applies (IMHO)

T. Total
E. Energy
Smith

Rest in the provided rest.

Isaiah 54:16 kjv
16. Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.

Maybe
Beat sword into a plowshare?

Saul of Tarsus comes to mind.

Limited Mississippi redneck
eddif

Hebrews 4:10 kjv
10. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Thanks Edward

This applies (IMHO)

T. Total
E. Energy
Smith

Rest in the provided rest.

Isaiah 54:16 kjv
16. Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.

Maybe
Beat sword into a plowshare?

Saul of Tarsus comes to mind.

Limited Mississippi redneck
eddif

That's funny, I actually had that thought, lol. (Is God going to need to knock this guy off his horse like he did to Saul?)

I guess that's what he's been asking for though. Demanding proof first. And as saul was picking himself up off the ground he said, I believe!

He'd make a fine addition to the Kingdom of God. We could put him on point cuz he's young, energetic and strong spirited. Lol.

Back